The Songbird

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kezza67
Kezza67
1,199 Followers

Three weeks later the CD's were ready. Nearly five hundred of the first pressing was sent off to broadcasters all over the country. Apart from the national broadcasters there were many small local stations and all received a copy of the disk. We couldn't keep track if they were played or when, however when the phone rang and I was asked to do a phone interview, I knew that interest had stirred. I was listening to Radio 2 one morning when the presenter announced.

"Here we have one of our favourite Rock Stars singing golden oldies that our grandparents listened to. The album is called 'Kat Lacey Swings' and wow! This is Kat in a very different mood and how well she does it. Here's a track that everybody will know." The strains of 'Moonlight Serenade' filled my room. I phoned Jack and held the phone close to the speaker. When it finished I spoke to him.

"As far as I know that the first airing on Radio two. If they play it is almost bound to start selling. Jack! I am so excited. I have already done a phone interview with a station in the Midlands so they must have played it."

"That sounded great, Cate."

"I am bubbling, Jack and it's all down to you."

"I don't think that you can say that, Cate."

"Yes I do. You got me hooked and I can see a whole new career opening in front of me. I've got to phone Steve he may have had some feedback by now."

"I'll let you go. Talk soon, I really want to see you again."

My heartbeat quickened with those words. "I want to see you again, Jack. I would like to experience the peace and quiet of your home again." There were other things I wanted to experience as well, however I didn't say that.

"Let me know when you want to come up. I'll take a few days off."

"I promise Jack. Soon."

'Soon' was put on the back burner as interest in our CD grew. The music papers started asking for interviews, I did more phone interviews on air with stations all over the country. However what was more important the company handling the production of the disk was getting orders. Ok, they were orders for ten or twenty to start, but they were orders. They asked if I would want another pressing. So far I had invested quite a lot of money in this, and I would have liked to see bigger orders before committing to another pressing. I stalled on that and told them I would get back to them. The next day I almost phoned and told them to press another five thousand after I got a call from a booking agent for me to do three nights in Leeds. It hit the buffers when he told me he had a good group lined up who could back me with my new sound.

"Sorry. Mr. Firlow. I will only work with the Stela Swing Band." I had already discussed this possibility with Steve and we had agreed that the package was all of us or none.

"I see, Kat." He sounded a little upset. "And what sort of money would you be asking?" I prepared for the rejection. He wanted his group who were possibly under contract to him. I quoted the rate and heard the gasp.

"You are joking."

"No, Mr. Firlow. You get eighteen of the best musicians in the land and you get me. We will give you two and a half hours plus intermission. You won't have to book supporting acts. We will need twenty rooms at a nearby hotel, at least three star quality for five nights and we will need the venue for the day before the first performance for rehearsal and sound checks."

"You're quite free with your demands."

"Mr. Firlow, the disk is being played on national and many local stations. There will be a sales stand as well, and I'll offer you a percentage of the sales. Your audience will get an evening of first class music and entertainment. If you need to think it over do so, but I will tell you that our diary is filling quite well."

"I'll get back to you in twenty-four."

Of course I was busking. We didn't have any dates and I had no way of knowing if the disk was getting plays as much as I suggested, but I did know agents who from personal experience were quite happy to rip off anyone inexperienced and uncertain. This may be something new in style, but I had been around long enough to know which side was up. I didn't know it when I spoke to Mr. Firlow but we did have a date. Steve phoned me that evening. "Kat. The band has a date for next week. It's a corporate do, one night in Basildon. I thought it may be a good opportunity to start building an act if you came along. The fee is reasonable so we will share with you if you decide it's worthwhile."

"I like the idea, Steve, we should be working up an act. I've just put the phone down on a booking agent who could have three nights in Leeds. I think he had a heart attack when I told him what we wanted. He's going to get back to me. Yes I would like to come along. I don't want anything, you guys have been good enough to me already, let's just call it rehearsal."

"Ok, I won't tell them you are coming along, it will be a surprise for them. They booked us under our old name, so it will also be a surprise when they get the Stela Swing Band."

"Should we bring some disks? I know it's a corporate event, but some may want to buy something to remember the evening."

"Yeah. We'll do that. I don't think they will mind, particularly if you will autograph them."

I phoned the distributor and placed an order for another five thousand, asking them at the same time to send me five hundred of the original batch. Then I phoned Jack.

Jack

I was both pleased and disappointed when Cate told me that she would be busy for the next two weeks. Pleased of course that her venture would appear to be taking off. The disappointment needed no explanation. As we passed from June into July it was the start of my slack time. The furniture manufacturers were not busy, allowing staff to take their holidays and few were looking for new product. Having said that I would have no new product until September. So at this time of year I allowed myself to slow down a little and take things easy. Usually I would take off for a couple of weeks in the Canary Islands, but I had put that aside hoping that Cate and I could do something together. In many ways this was a strange relationship. Apart from one kiss it could not be called an intimate relationship although both she and I had said enough to indicate that was where it would go. I was very attached to a certain Caitlin Laine, who also happened to be Kate Lacey. Now Kat Lacey was in constant demand and it looked like that pressure was going to increase, leaving little time for Caitlin Laine to emerge. Much as I was happy for Kat Lacey and wished her success I wouldn't have been human if that wish wasn't tainted with a little bit of selfish bad humour for denying me Caitlin. I was somewhat mollified when I found in my post box a small packet. It was the CD that Cate had made. She had autographed it as Kat Lacey, and then added a little note, 'Thanks for showing me a new direction', she signed that 'With love Cate'.

Cate

The booking in Basildon went well. This wasn't a concert as such. The corporate event was a dinner with speeches. The band was there principally to provide music for dancing after the diners had finished their meal. The nice thing about it was that the caterers ensured that we were fed as well. Steve suggested that they would begin the first set and towards the end of the first rendition of the melody he would announce me. I would come on stage and the band would reprise the melody and I would sing. I agreed to this and waited nervously in the wing as the curtains drew back to reveal the band. They immediately went into 'Moonlight Serenade'. Glenn Miller had adopted that as his signature music and as Steve said, "if it was good enough for Glenn it is more than good enough for the Stela Band." As they arrived towards the end of the refrain, Steve picked up the radio mike and announced.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Please welcome Kat Lacey."

I was surprised at the warmth of the reception as I walked on stage. I wore a full-skirted long dress with a tight bodice in shimmering turquoise. I doubted that the short skirts or tight-fitting leather trousers would be suitable for this audience and the new Kate Lacey; nor did I wear the long hair wig. I had allowed the blonde dye to wash out and my hair was now dark and cut in a style reminiscent of Liza Minelli. Steve handed me the mike and almost immediately the band repeated the melody and I sang the first stanza of the lyrics.

I Stand at your gate,

And the song that I sing is of you Love.

I stand and I wait,

For the touch of your hand, and of you Love.

After all these years I shouldn't have been nervous, but I was. However the nerves faded as I got into the song and soon I was enjoying myself. It was years since I had really enjoyed singing, the years of doing the same old thing had dulled my passion for music, now I was finding once again the thrill that brought me into this business in the first place. I sang for three numbers and then went off stage as Steve fulfilled his booking by playing dance music. I re-appeared to sing another three songs having changed my dress in the meanwhile. A stray thought went through my mind, if this took off I would be carrying around a lot of dresses. The costumiers I hired from would be very busy altering dresses to suit me. I finished the evening with our last number, 'Smoke gets in your Eyes'. The reception was superb. Yes there were some glitches but I doubt that the revellers knew about them. It appeared not, judging by their applause. The first hurdle had been overcome. There were more rehearsals to come to perfect the act, but I was confident that we had some good times before us. Steve agreed. As we left he told me that we had been booked for their Christmas dinner for a very good fee and they wanted the whole package.

CHAPTER SEVEN

Cate

Gradually over the next few weeks bookings came in and time became a precious commodity. Steve and his musicians were in demand for studio sessions, I was still getting bookings for Rock concerts and we had to get together to rehearse and refine our performance as Kat Lacey and the Stela Swing band. The visit I had promised Jack was put back time and again. He was golden about it. Constantly re-assuring me when I yet again phoned him to put off our few days together, that it was o.k. with him and that I had to make the most of the phenomenon while it lasted. That he was so understanding confirmed my opinion that here was the man I could build a good relationship with, although whether he viewed me in the same way after so many postponements was something else.

At long last I found a weekend when I would be free. It would be early September. I phoned Jack eagerly. "Jack, I am so sorry that I haven't been to see you, but it has been manic for weeks."

"I know Cate. I have been hearing tracks from your CD on the radio quite frequently. You have obviously struck a chord with the public. I am really pleased for you."

"It's all down to you, Jack. Who would have thought that an aging Rock Chick could find another career singing Swing. I didn't but you did. I really need to thank you properly. I've got a free weekend the first weekend in September, please tell me I can come up and see you?"

"I will argue the description 'aging' at another time. You said the first weekend in September?"

"Yes."

"Damn! I shall be in Belgium and Northern France for the week before that weekend, and I shall be flying to Turkey over the weekend to visit some mills there. There are lots of new designs for me to view and I can't miss out else I shall be too late for the Furniture Show."

"Are you holidaying in Turkey then?"

"No Cate. There are mills in Turkey starting to produce good stuff and I need to get in as their agent in the U.K."

My heart fell. My first reaction was that he had got fed up with waiting for me and this was merely an excuse. Then logic kicked in. This was Jack's job, this was how he made his living, even so I felt kicked in the stomach. Dejection must have been in my voice when I asked. "Jack. Have I messed it up?"

"Messed it up? No Cate. Look at the reality. We are both busy people. You have something happening that is good and you have to pursue it whilst it is happening. You more than I know how fickle the music industry is, if you missed this chance it will be a regret for years to come. When you have the time we will get together, it is just bad luck that that weekend I will not be here. Any other weekend I will be, and when you have to time to come you will be welcomed with open arms."

I felt a little better. I had got emotional and saw disaster, Jack just pointed out our situation, putting it into perspective. "Thanks, Jack. You are right of course, this could be a seven day wonder. I was so looking forward to the tranquillity of your home and just kicking back with you as a balm against the frantic life I seem to lead. If I go through my diary and clear another weekend in September may I come up to see you?"

"Of course you can, I would love to see you. But if you have that first weekend clear don't start filling your diary instead. You can come up anyway and spend some time here if you felt like it. I am really sorry that I won't be here, but you're welcome to my home anytime."

"You would allow me to stay in your home without you?" I was aghast.

"Yes of course."

"You're crazy. Can I leave my toothbrush in the holder?" I was joking actually but Jack was equal to the humour..

"By all means, but you need to leave some panties on the bed as well."

I giggled at that, then picked up. "Worn or clean?"

"Worn preferably, then at least I will be able fantasize about the woman who used my bed when unfortunately I wasn't in it."

"You needn't fantasize. She will be there with you very soon."

I was very tempted to go and Jack told me how to find the spare key, hidden in the flower bed if I decided that I would go. The idea of a weekend in his comfortable and peaceful home, away from the noise and bustle of London was very appealing. With that in mind I gave thought to hiring a car. I had learned to drive when I was twenty and my earnings were bringing me some independence. However, I never actually bought a car, it was easier and less hassle to fly to bookings or use the train. The promoters would always pay for taxis when I needed them. Having a car available when I was at Jack's made sense as it was quite remote. He faxed me a map having highlighted the route from the main road which would take me to his cottage. I felt much better after our conversation. His offer for me to borrow his home for a weekend was quite indicative of how he viewed me, and the comment about the panties actually produced some moisture in my nether regions. It would appear that he believed we were moving towards something good as I did. That gave me a really nice, warm feeling.

Jack

The offer for Cate to have the cottage for the weekend was a spur of the moment thing, yet having made it I was quite content. At any other time of the year I would have postponed my trip, but this was very important. The product I would be viewing, and the selection I made would be the deciding factor of my next year's income. If I could pick up some agencies from the Turkish Mills I would be in a good position for years to come. The comment about the panties was tongue in cheek, but Cates reaction to it told me that they would be there for me when I returned from Turkey. I had never had a fetish about panties but it would be significant to our relationship that something so intimate should grace my bed. I looked forward to the time when Kat graced my bed herself.

I was busy making the arrangements for my trip and was very pleased with the reception I got from the Mills I contacted in Turkey. They had a long established weaving industry and their designs had become more acceptable for the European market. The best selling factor was that in general their product was priced very competitively compared to the European producers. This was why I had to make these visits. I left little post-it notes around the cottage for Kat, telling her where switches were for equipment she may wish to use and encouraging her to use the cottage as if it were her own. Usually I was quite excited when I left for this trip, looking forward to the new designs and deciding how I would sell them and to whom I would sell them. However as I drove away from the cottage en-route to East Midlands airport I was down. If Cate did come up I would miss her.

Cate

My mind was made up. I was going. With that decision made I arranged to rent a car at Derby station and packed what I would need for the weekend. The choice was simple really, should Jack be there the choice would be given greater thought for greater impact. However one item did need consideration. I know that Jack had made that reference to panties in a humorous context, I intended to take the humour a little further and set up a signpost for hopefully a future. A quick trip to the West End and Agent Provocateur. A big hit on my credit card bought me a scrap of silk and lace which would have fitted into a small envelope. These panties were never intended for utility, nor were they intended to be worn for long.

I had printed off his directions and having picked up my hire car at Derby station I set off. There was no problem until I reached Hulland and turned off the main road. With one eye on his directions and the other on the road I literally crawled slowly through the maze of small lanes. I was certain that I had gone wrong somewhere when with elation I saw the sign 'Beware of the Bull'. The car rumbled over the cattle grid and soon I was pulling up outside the cottage. The key was exactly where Jack had described.

It's curious feeling to enter someone else's home and I looked around cautiously as I crossed the threshold until I saw the 'post it' notes stuck in prominent positions. The first said 'Cate, welcome to my cottage. Make yourself at home'. I walked through to the kitchen. Again there were notes stuck all over. The one on the kettle said, 'Tea and coffee are in cupboard overhead. Drink me!', the sticker on the freezer told me 'I'm full of food. Eat me!' I opened the fridge immediately seeing the bottles of white wine, they too had a sticker. 'Drink me!'. I filled the kettle to make coffee. While I waited for the kettle to boil I wandered back into the lounge and picked up my bag to take it up to the bedroom. On the bed head another sticker lured me to read. 'Sleep well'. Into the bathroom next and yes the inevitable stickers caught my eye. One, stuck to a packet containing a new shower cap just gave me instructions on how to turn on the electric shower, the other was more intimate saying that as the shower was big enough for two, perhaps I could suggest how it could be employed at sometime. I blushed. Me...I blushed after all these years in the business. I blushed not with embarrassment but from the mental picture that sprang readily into my head.

As I walked back into the kitchen I fanned my face to cool the heat that my naughty mind picture had generated. Just as I was stirring the coffee a car drew up outside and a young girl got out. She seemed perturbed that the door wasn't locked and entered cautiously. I was here with Jack's permission yet I still felt guilty as I walked through to meet her. "Hello." I called.

The girl reacted to my call with anger. "Who the hell are you and what are you doing in my dad's house?"

"You must be Ellen. I'm a friend of your dad. I'm Cate."

"How do I know you are telling the truth and where's dad anyway?"

"Well he's been in Belgium all this last week, and he's probably flying to Turkey at this moment." The anger vanished from her face immediately and one of embarrassment took its place.

"Oh shit. I forgot that." The embarrassment vanished and she stiffened. "In that case if you knew that why are you here anyway?"

Kezza67
Kezza67
1,199 Followers
1...34567...9