The Soul Refiner Bk. 01 Ch. 07-09

Story Info
A wandering doctor is gifted an unusual slave.
5.3k words
4.81
1.8k
3

Part 3 of the 5 part series

Updated 04/07/2024
Created 03/14/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Maltry
Maltry
60 Followers

Chapter 7

I awoke disoriented, for the second time in as many days. I was still laid upon my bedroll, under my blanket and canvas, next to my cart. Beyond that however... my surroundings were markedly different. Rather than an open field, I was in a small glade, with seemingly ancient trees all around. Animal calls of all sorts sounded from those trees, in ways that were not at all normal. Songbirds sang, while raptors screeched, and rodents chittered calmly alongside the snarls of hunting cats. It seemed as though the wildlife had staged a raucous performance to serenade my waking.

A quick survey of my surroundings revealed the walls of the camp were still just barely visible through the trees, and my spiritual eye revealed that the nearest tree was no illusion. I was not dreaming either, which only left me with one real explanation for my current circumstance. I couldn't understand why, but I had somehow attracted the personal attention of a god, and in this area there was only one god it was likely to be.

"Lord Kubek, you honor me with your presence." I climbed from my bedding and bowed to the trees, not bothering to get dressed. The spirit was unlikely to take offense at seeing me in just my wraps, but he might be angered if I were to delay in paying my respects. I remained, my upper body slightly inclined, for more than a minute. But finally the sounds of the forest stilled, and were replaced with a deep, rumbling laugh. One so resonant, I felt it in my bones.

"No need to be so humble, veth. I came for business, not obeisance." His voice was as deep and rich as his laugh, and I raised my eyes to gaze upon my unexpected captor. The god Kubek, lord of the forest, who had clearly spirited me away into his realm as I slept. He was an impressive being, to say the least. The deity stood about average height for the people of this land, but was as broad as he was tall. His muscles were thick and bulky, more like knotted tree branches than flesh and blood, covered with thick bark rather than skin. Numerous tokens were braided into his viney hair and beard, and even more hung from his fur vest. If the legends about him were true, then each of those tokens contained a debt, large or small, from which he drew his power.

"My lord," I responded, unable to restrain my skeptical expression and raised brow. "I would be pleased to be of service to you. But I don't imagine you have much call for a simple healer."

"I do not. I told you not to be so humble already, and I don't care to repeat myself. Were you not veth, your bones would already feed the roots of my forest for your trespass."

For a moment the god's eyes turned as hard and sharp as flint knives, and I felt the weight of his presence press against my spirit. It lasted only a moment, long enough for me to feel the difference between our strengths, to feel his killing intent. That intent was not directed at me quite yet, but he wanted me to know that it could be. To put aside the mask of a kindly grandfather and remind me that he was a god of nature, savagery, and death. He made peace with humans when it suited him. But he would end me without hesitation or regret if that suited him instead, and he had the power to do so with ease. My own spirit was like a child next to a boulder; small, soft, and weak in comparison.

In the next moment his mask was back, his presence veiled. The crinkled eyes of a kindly grandfather smiling at me again.

"Forgive me. I meant no disrespect to you. Nor do I seek any quarrel." I was quite proud of how calm my voice sounded. Just one more threat to my life, if a little more immediate than I'd faced for some time. "Of course I will aid you however I can. Though I would ask how I have trespassed against you, so I may avoid doing so again."

"A wise precaution, and these matters are related. Last night you poisoned my forest. Unintentionally, I know, but the cursed mana you disposed of required my personal intervention to disperse. Had I not, it would have festered in the wood, killing many of my creatures, and likely creating demons."

"Cursed. This sickness was created? Spread deliberately?" My head swam as I considered the implications of that. It would take a fool or a fanatic to use such a tool. While my efforts in Kuru had softened its effects there, I could well imagine all those I'd cured wasting to death instead. If the poisoned mana refused to disperse, it could be absorbed by others, and would spread much like any mundane disease. Incurable by any normal means, it would wipe out an entire city in time. And if the spirits were also susceptible, as the forest god implied, the result would blight the very land. He nodded as he saw my understanding.

"You will eliminate the source of this sickness. Do this, and the debt will then be mine instead."

"I will do as you require, if I can. However, I am no investigator. I will need to seek out the perpetrators first, and that might take some time." I kept my tone light and respectful, but inside I was in turmoil. On the one hand, eliminating such a dangerous ploy was essential to the survival of the whole kingdom. On the other, any force capable of enacting such a plan was not to be trifled with. I was woefully unprepared to deal with such a foe, and needed to buy time. Kubek though, smiled slyly, as though sensing my thoughts.

"Oh, you need not worry about finding the conspirators. I have determined that your current path will uncover them regardless of your intentions. It is only the conflict itself you may try to avoid. And to aid in your success I have arranged for an advisor." At his gesture, another spirit emerged from the treeline, a great cat that was probably twice my own weight. Their coat was a pale golden color, almost white, patterned with darker golden spots like those of a leopard. I could feel that the anima of this new spirit, filled with savage vitality, was about the same strength as my own.

*This cub is the one you wish me to guide? He cannot be more than a century old.* A voice, husky and distinctly feminine, entered my thoughts. Deep and resonant, it reminded me of a cat's purr, or growl. Her tone was amused, though not condescending or dismissive, which I took as a good sign.

"Ket will be your guide, while you carry out my task. She can instruct you somewhat in the skills you need as a veth, and she will keep me apprised of your progress." Without another word the god vanished, an unmistakable end to this audience. I remained in the same clearing however, still held within his realm. Kubek could certainly see and here anything that happened here, but I would receive no more answers from him.

"It is an honor to meet you," I offered to the cat, with a polite bow. "But if you are to instruct me, I feel I have one, very pressing, question. What, in the name of the radiant sea, is a veth?" I was nearly shouting by the end of my question, my frustration overcoming my good sense. It would be foolish in the extreme to antagonize this spirit, who I felt was probably a minor god, an animal avatar of some sort. If she was to be a sort of mentor for me then I desperately needed her goodwill. But my frustration was just too strong to be contained any longer. For her part, Ket seemed more amused than offended.

*Have you not heard the term before? That seems unlikely.*

"I have, but your kind are not too inclined to share the details of your titles. If Lord Kubek is naming me as one however, I need to know what it actually means."

*Lord is a human title,* her voice was both amused and offended now. *Kubek is veth'ris. A veth whose vas are also veth. Like a vine that splits, and the splits again, he calls upon the strength of many spirits. As you now draw on the strength of another.*

"The slave bond?" I offered after a moment's thought. "If this is due to the slave bond then there are many, many, human veth that Kubek could call on. Ones more suited to this task than I."

*No.* She snarled abruptly, her mental voice oozing contempt. *The spirit shackles you humans inflict on each other are not the same. Had you not repaired your bond, we would not be having this conversation. Enough questions for now. It is time to leave Kubek's realm, and I need to know how quickly you learn. Focus on your vas. Feel her presence, and allow it to guide you home.*

I thought about trying to press the issue, but it was clear that the spirit had little patience for my concerns. Much like any cat, she would help as it suited her. Resigning myself to it, I closed my eyes and did as she asked, focusing on my connection to Myta. It took me a moment, our bond felt muted and distant at first. Grasping it was like trying to take hold of a reed in a stream, slippery and evasive, my strongest efforts seeming to push her farther away. When I finally relaxed my mind the connection opened, andher emotions slammed into me. Myta was worried, bordering on panic at my unexpected absence. I sent her calm reassurance, before drawing her spirit closer to me.

*No.* Ket's voice shocked me like a bucket of cold water, nearly breaking my concentration. *Do not pull her to us. We must travel to her.*

The thought that I might have accidentally pulled Myta into this realm was unnerving, and I ceased my attempts to draw us closer. I had thought to use her as an anchor, dragging myself back to the real world, but apparently I was the anchor. I waited to see if the spirit would offer any further advice, but after that admonition she remained silent. Not ignoring me, I could feel her attention. No, she was observing my actions, judging my progress.

I turned my attention back to Myta. If I couldn't pull myself to her, I would need her to simply be my guide. Drawing on our tether again, I tried to immerse myself in her feelings and sensations. Where I was, Kubek's mana and presence filled everything, washing away any other aspect. But through Myta, I could feel the essence of her location, the mana of the world drifting around her. And then, very near to her, I felt something I had not anticipated. A silvery mana that felt like pure ice water, and shone like polished silver. My mana, glimmering from within my own body. Kubek had only called my spirit to his realm, my body remained behind.

With that understanding, returning to the physical world was as simple a matter as opening my own eyes. In fact there was no real return at all. I had never left.

Chapter 8

Kneeling beside me, Myta studiously schooled her features, pretending that her eyes weren't red with suppressed tears. I ignored the wetness of her cheeks, just as carefully. In truth I was quite surprised at her intense reaction. My fire touched slave barely knew me, for all that her spirit was bound to mine. A part of me thought she should be grateful for a chance to be freed from my influence. I was healing her, aiding her, but she had little beyond my word to tell her that. And were I in her place, I wasn't sure I wouldn't t embrace death over this kind of servitude.

*It is your bond.* Ket spoke into my mind, her rumbling voice soothing my racing thoughts. *Vas feel trust for their veth, as veth feel their authority over their vas. She belongs, with you and to you.*

"Yes." Myta's voice surprised me. I certainly hadn't expected her to hear Ket's words. But perhaps even more jarring was the tone of happiness and relief in her voice. "Belonging is exactly the right word. I do not know what vas or veth are meant to mean, exactly, but it whatever is between us feels... right."

*Veth is binder, one who binds. Vas is one who is bound.* The spirit was amused again, something I felt was going to be happening often in the foreseeable future. Given that she was explaining concepts she clearly felt we should have known by the time we learned to walk, I'd take amusement over frustration or condescension. *Humans complicate that which is simple. I will try to explain, but do not overthink these things. What is, is.*

"But wait..." I felt a moment of realization hit me. "Myta and I are bound now, and the binding is influencing our feelings toward one another. But before, when we were not yet bound, I acted strangely. I felt an urgency I could not explain.

"Normally, I would not have taken the risk Myta brings to my life," I cast her an apologetic glance before continuing. "More than that, I could have taken extra time to ensure I was in better condition, better prepared to treat her sickness. Instead I rushed to bind her, and practically fled the city after. Was something else influencing me then?"

*I... am not aware of such an influence.* I felt a flicker of anger from Ket, although it was not directed at me. I expected her to continue that thought, but she cut it off with a growl.

*Strengthen your vas. You will need to rely on her soon.* Without another word, the golden leopard was gone, leaving the smell of blood and incense in her wake. I stared into the distance blankly, wondering why she might be so upset at someone manipulating me. Perhaps she simply took her role as my guide that seriously, but her anger had felt more personal somehow.

"Master?" Myta's voice drew me back to her. "How can I help you?" I knew she was thinking about the spirit's parting words. More than that, she was affirming her place with me. Her expression was calm, but I felt that her mood was somewhat defiant. As though daring me to reject our connection now that we knew more about it. I felt a new wave of possessive desire pass through me. Even if it was due to our bond, even if our joining had been orchestrated by forces unknown, she was mine now. I had seen the beauty of her soul, decayed though it currently was, and I coveted it like a miser covets gold.

"First, we need more traveling gear. Then you'll watch me work, and we will see how you perform as my assistant. After we leave the encampment, I'll test your other skills. What fighting style did you learn from the Pure monks?"

"The path of the sun's ray," she replied, expression softening into a warm smile. Either my words relaxed her, or she felt a shadow of my emotions as I thought I'd felt hers. It could have been my imagination, but given the way Ket had communicated with us I had hopes of speaking with Myta directly through our spiritual tether. As easily as we could share dreams it seemed well within our reach.

"A good path for your aspect. Help me keep an eye out for a good spear for sale in town. We might see one if we're lucky."

With no further delay we broke camp, the sun just cresting the horizon. The camp's gate opened well before dawn, but my spiritual jaunt had delayed us. Fortunately the camp was not too heavily populated, and the dirt paths winding through the rough wooden buildings were not terribly crowded. I spoke with a couple of traders, obtaining a crude hunting spear for my companion. Not ideal, but better than nothing. I was able to replenish a very small measure of my stock of herbs. Gerid had already sent his agents to buy those that were available at the settlements near to Kuru. It was unfortunate, but couldn't be helped. I'd needed those herbs to treat the sick of the city.

I checked in with camp's leader, a small man who had the disposition of a hungry bear, and a generous heart. It didn't take long to find out that quite a few in the camp had the viridian contagion, and we quickly worked out a deal for me to treat them in return for some trade goods and supplies. I'd save my medicines for Myta, and those most severely impaired by the sickness. While they were helpful for recovery, my skill in drawing out the poisoned mana was not dependent on the mundane treatment. I'd feed the more hale locals some simple herbal teas as a cover for my sorcery.

A few discreet inquiries told me that an odd group had visited the camp a few days before the contagion appeared. They were foreigners with white skin and light hair, dressed in hooded robes. None of that was especially odd really, Ramana encouraged travelers from all across the shattered lands, a stark contrast to many other kingdoms. More visitors meant more trade, wealth, and knowledge entering the land. What was odd however, was that this group stayed a full day. And though they talked to almost everyone, they didn't attempt to buy or sell any goods. In a city like Kuru, that behavior would have gone unremarked upon, but in a smaller camp like this people spoke to one another about such things. The group in question had headed south along the low road, traveling toward Bani just as I was doing now.

My business took me until late afternoon, and we left the camp for my cart with a couple of hours of light remaining. I'd arranged for my patients to begin visiting tomorrow morning, which left me a little time to tend to other matters. Setting up the new tent I'd purchased went quickly, and I noted that Myta was not only speaking much more easily, she had also recovered much more physical stamina than I'd expected. My mana and medicines combined could dramatically aid that, but this was a bit extreme. I would have expected her to be weak and easily exhausted for weeks, even with my help. Her voice should not be recovering much at all without her speaking a great deal more than she was.

When our camp was set, we retired to our new shelter. I'd been fortunate in finding a large, pavilion style tent. Large enough that I would be able to use it as a mobile treatment center. It was something I'd been considering for some time in any case, as not needing to rent a large, private space to practice would be a boon. These were difficult to set up alone however, so having Myta to help was already increasing my options. I had her strip down, so that I could give her a proper examination.

The woman was in poor condition, but not nearly as poor as she should have been. Already I could see that she was putting on weight, building flesh back onto her recently emaciated frame. Though this was the first time I had truly examined Myta, I'd half-carried her to my cart only two days ago. She'd barely had scraps of flesh covering her bones then. Now she was, certainly not healthy, but far less wasted. More than that, she had put on a layer of healthy, toned muscle. Which was even more inexplicable, as she'd had no real exercise over this time.

"Master?" Myta's voice shook me from my stupor. My fingers had been tracing the muscles of her back while my mind tried to resolve the oddities. I grabbed a cloth, dipping it into the bucket I had prepared. Warm water, and a mild astringent to clean her skin.

"You may call me Esur, if you wish, Myta"

"As you say, master." I could hear the smile in her voice. I also thought I could almost feel her warm amusement, the way Ket's emotions came to me with the spirit's mental speech.

"You are in remarkably good condition, all things considered." I said as I washed her, looking for any signs of sores or skin infections. "At this rate, I expect you back in a reasonably healthy state within a week. Your spirit and soul will take much more to recover."

She didn't reply, simply accepting my statements. I was concerned that was a sign of her spiritual malaise, but I got the feeling that she was oddly content. A glance at her spirit body confirmed that. Her mana was pulsing in a slow but steady rhythm, colored with a warm amber hue. It was still weak, her channels still warped and anima discolored, but a steady heart meant her mind was clear and still. When I finished bathing her I wrapped a soft blanket around her, and retrieved one of my purchases.

The outpost trader hadn't had any hairbrushes, there simply was much call for them in the camp. But I had found a carved wooden comb. Myta started when I pulled her hair out of the blanket, but relaxed as I began combing it out. It took me a few minutes to get the hang of it. I kept my own hair fairly short, and I hadn't made a habit of grooming other people. Still, I picked up the knack of it with minimal tugging at her scalp.

Maltry
Maltry
60 Followers
12