The Spoils of War Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Up until this point, I hadn't actually spoken to anyone with any merit about the subject. However, I did learn that there was a veteran who had been residing in one of the hospitals due to her severe PTSD.

I was discouraged from speaking to her, with the military claiming that she might have seen things that didn't really happen. Although I, too, believed her memories could have been trauma-induced, the notion that my own military, which is sending me out to Nova, did not want me to speak to her, came off suspicious.

***

The day before the voyage, Celine went against her military's wishes and visited the hospital that was caring for a patient who supposedly saw the dangers of Nova. She wore a hat to cover her blonde hair, which was normally kept in a large French-braid. She also wore sunglasses and removed anything that signified her as being a soldier.

After stepping through the front door, she greeted the receptionist at the front desk. "Hello, I'm here to see a patient. Her name is Renee Johnson."

"Miss Johnson? No one has visited her in a long time."

"Do you know why that is?"

"We're not entirely sure. Soldiers used to visit her all the time, but starting a few years ago, they just stopped all of a sudden."

"Well, I'm not a soldier," private violet explained. "I'm just a friend of a friend... So please... allow me to visit her."

A few minutes later, she found herself in the room of the former soldier, who was just sitting in bed. "Miss Johnson... Do you have a moment?"

The woman turned her eyes towards Celine, but the expression on her face didn't change. Emotionless, she asked, "You are?"

Immediately, Celine could feel the intensity in the woman's eyes. She could tell that though the former soldier had clearly not trained for several years, she was still twice the soldier she was.

Celine felt it would have been an insult to attempt to trick this former soldier, so she decided to be honest from the get-go. "My name is Celine Violet. I'm a private in the military. I've been ordered to go to Nova with a group of other privates tomorrow."

The woman's eyes shot wide open. "A group of privates? To Nova?!"

"Yes, that is correct."

"What an irresponsible thing to do... to send a group of inexperienced soldiers to such a dangerous place!! My, my... how the military has changed."

"That's why I'm here. I wanted to learn the dangers of Nova. Until now, the officers have been quite vague. They even discouraged me from seeking you out."

Renee shook her head in disbelief. "I figured as much. The military, as well as the staff here, hardly allow me to talk about anything I saw in Nova. They've pretty much convinced me that the things I saw were just images my mind created in the midst of battle fatigue. I almost don't know what to believe anymore."

"Will you tell me what you saw? I promise not to disclose it to anyone."

"Yes, but I can't say with great confidence that everything is correct. I've been diagnosed with severe PTSD. My stories may just be coping mechanisms after I witnessed my entire squad die."

"I understand," Celine responded with a look of determination. "Whether it's true or not, I still want to hear it."

Taking her eyes away from Celine, Renee stared straight forward as she began unloading the thoughts that had haunted her for so long. "First off, there's a chance you'll encounter Yeveland soldiers there. They've shown up when we didn't expect them before. I can't emphasize enough how strong they are. If you were to actually get into a battle with them, your chances are slim. If you see them, immediately surrender."

"Secondly, I'm sure they've talked to you about the dangerous wildlife there. The outsides are surrounded by hogs. We were warned about them, but they were much bigger and stronger than we expected.

"A small one is probably twice as big as you are. A large one can be over a thousand pounds. And they're almost impossible to kill. Shooting them in the head only makes them angry, since their skulls are so thick. It's best to just shoot at their bodies.

"And if the hogs are on the outside, who knows what dangers are deep inside the forest? What lies within has probably driven them out."

"Do you think it's the sorceress?" Celine interrupted, trying to keep herself from shaking. "That's where she's supposedly located, right? Further into the woods?"

"That's the thing I'm hesitant on talking about... Up until now, I can say I'm one-hundred percent certain of everything else. The sorceress is what I'm in doubt of."

"Please go on. I should at least be warned if I'm going to Nova. You're the only one who's capable of giving me any real information."

The woman began talking as if she were in Nova all over again, facing her greatest fear. "Like you, I had heard stories about the sorceress. And, from what I think I experienced, those rumors were completely true."

"There were eight of us. We pushed deep into the forest because we had several soldiers who claimed they witnessed her die. However, when we encountered her, she was not only alive, but unbelievably strong."

"My squad attacked her immediately. There was a big explosion, like someone threw a grenade. Then, one by one, she killed all seven of my comrades with her bare hands."

Feeling a cold pressure in her heart, Celine looked at the woman fearfully before asking, "How did you survive? Did you escape?"

"I think about that every single day. When we first saw her, I was too shocked to even move. I remember her clearly looking into my eyes for a moment before passing me and moving on to the next soldier."

"Part of me wonders if I just got lucky. The other part of me thinks she might have spared my life, since I was the only one who didn't attack her."

"Are you serious?! Is it possible this evil folklore has some sort of morality?"

"Maybe so," the woman answered as a depressed look came over her face. "Perhaps she isn't evil at all. Now that I look back on it, that's not exactly how I'd describe her."

"How did she appear to you?" Celine asked, becoming more intrigued.

"To be honest... as the years have gone by... I remember her more as a scared little girl."

"Little girl? Scared?!"

"Yes... her actions were swift and powerful. She knew exactly what she was doing. However, it almost felt as if she was forced to defend herself. If not, then why didn't she kill me?"

Celine could understand why the others thought this woman was just suffering from PTSD. At the same time, she almost wanted the story to be true. This folklore creature that she had heard so much about was almost relatable, being forced to defend itself as others trespassed on its homeland.

Uncomfortably, Celine asked, "You said she looked young? About how young did she look?"

"She couldn't have been an adult. She was somewhere in her teenage years. She was tall with broad shoulders, bust obviously a young girl. Perhaps she was old and just never aged. She could have been a ghost; that would explain how others saw her die."

"Is there anything else you can tell me about her?"

"I'll tell you everything I can remember. She had long black hair and her skin was very pale. Her eyes were black and void of any emotion. And on her forehead was the number IV.

"She was just wearing a black sports bra with black BDU pants and boots. Her stomach didn't have an ounce of fat on it but there were bullet wounds on her sides.

"One of her arms was completely black from the shoulder down to her hand. It was like it had been burnt... or mangled. It looked completely destroyed... but that was the arm she used to kill my comrades."

"She impaled the others with that arm; it went right through their bodies like a knife through butter. I'll never forget that odd fighting stance she had, either. She sort of crouched forward and held her open hand up with her palm facing her eyes. Then, before I could even blink, she came forward like a flash of light.

"I've heard other people tell me different things. One of her legs was mangled instead of her arm, and she kicked soldiers to death. I've also heard stories of the number on her forehead being different. This is just what I saw, and it's mostly consistent with what others experienced."

Celine stayed and listened, wide-eyed and open-mouthed, as the soldier finished her story. After that, she thanked Renee for her time and assured she would not let anyone know of their meeting.

When she walked out of the hospital, there was an unsettling frown on her face. I wanted to learn about Nova so I could be prepared for the dangers! she thought to herself as she walked quietly down the road. But the more I learn about it, the more I feel that we're the ones in the wrong.

Thinking back to the description Miss Johnson gave of the sorceress, Celine began picturing the spirit in her head. This time, however, instead of imagining her as a brutal and evil spirit, she could only think of her as the scared child Renee Johnson described her as.

I still don't know if you're real or not... but perhaps being killed by you would be the honorable ending I'm looking for... I want to die at the hands of a true warrior; not the ineptitude of my own people!

***

On the fateful day, as the boat approached the mysterious island, Reyna faced her comrades and gave out her final instructions. "We are stepping foot on Nova in a matter of minutes, so let's go over the strategy one last time."

"Make sure you keep your formation. If you're on one of the wings, don't cross over. Either keep your eyes ahead or to your side of the formation. And don't bunch up, no matter what happens.

"Lieutenant Mara will be in the rear. Listen carefully for her instructions and repeat them, if possible, to make sure I hear them.

"I will be point. Stay at least twenty meters behind me, unless I call you forward. If I see any dangers, I'll try to take care of it myself."

"Is that so?" one of the soldiers asked with a smirk. "Are you sure you're not going to go calling for help when a large hog ambushes you?"

"It's possible. If hogs attack, there is a one-centimeter spot you can shoot that will shut their lights out right between their eyes. Just don't miss. We have limited ammunition, and their skulls are too hard to crack."

Another soldier, who also wasn't impressed by the captain, jumped in and asked a question of her own. "So, if that's how you kill a hog, why do you carry a sword instead of a rifle? Is it because you're not accurate enough to hit that one-centimeter spot?"

Appearing unfazed, Reyna responded, "No, a one-centimeter spot is actually huge, in my opinion. I just prefer a sword, so I don't have to waste ammo.

"It's also easier for me to wait for them to get close. If you go through their armpits, you can slice right through to the heart. They'll continue to fight for a couple minutes though, so you still have to keep them away until they drop.

"I just didn't offer that because I don't think any of you have the courage or composure to let a hog get that close to you. It's best you all just keep your distance and allow me to handle them."

The other soldiers became even more unsettled. There was groaning and complaining all around at the fact that this woman who they thought was unfit for her ranking seemed to think she was so much better than them.

Suddenly, Lieutenant Mara stepped in and shut everyone down. "You know, if any of you have an issue with Captain Fire's plans, why don't you just challenge her to a fight and see how that works out for you?"

Silence filled the air as everyone looked back at the lieutenant. Mara then continued, "You are all very talented soldiers, but I can guarantee it won't end well. Captain Fire is by far the strongest of all of us. She's also the only one that has actually been to Nova before. So, unless any of you are willing to challenge her, I suggest you just do what you're told."

Immediately, everyone went quiet. Reyna nodded at her lieutenant before turning her head back towards the land they were quickly approaching.

Although I appreciate you defending me, it wasn't necessary, she thought. I've never been liked by anyone outside of my sister. People only care about what I can do for them. All I will ever be... is a weapon.

Suddenly, one voice spoke up in a much more respectable manner. "Captain... may I ask one more question before we land?"

"What is it?"

"You're the only one in this group that has been to Nova. Have you ever seen The Sorceress?"

Everyone's eyes lit once the taboo topic was brought up. Even Lieutenant Mara became closely attentive and a small grin over her face.

Turning her head back towards the island, Reyna coldly answered, "I'm not at liberty to speak about that."

"Can you at least tell us what to do if we see her?"

Whipping her head back around, Reyna Fire glared into the soldier's eyes before answering, "Whatever you do... do not attack her."

***

Celine's squad arrived at Nova but quickly showed their lack of experience compared to the Yeveland soldiers. Instead of being in any formation, they just walked around, only making sure to stay within eye contact range. However, only one of the soldiers was uncomfortable with the disorganization.

This place looks so creepy, Celine thought to herself as she rustled through some tall grass. We're getting into the forest soon, so wouldn't it be a better idea to get into some type of formation?

With the group's lack of experience, they didn't know what to do, besides bunch up together. They figured that they were stronger in numbers than they were individually, so the only strategy they had was to stay close.

As they stepped into the forest, Celine could hardly concentrate on anything besides her own fears. Every little rustle she heard had her jumping, thinking it might be the sorceress.

Suddenly, one of the other soldiers grabbed her by the shoulder, causing her to squeal out in fear. Most of her squad came to a stop and started laughing at her after she fell victim to the practical joke.

"This isn't a place to be joking around!" she argued, stomping her feet. "We look like a bunch of fools! It's a good thing there aren't any Yeveland soldiers here!"

"No need to worry about them," one of her comrades pointed out. "They're not here. And don't even put yourself in the same sentence as them. If they show up, we'll be the ones to handle them."

Suddenly, Celine noticed something that caught her attention. Ahead of the group, there were two soldiers who continued forward without them. She figured they must have not seen the practical joke that had just been played on her.

"You guys... we need to catch up to them..." she warned. "They're too far ahead."

"Oh, so now you tell us what to do?"

"I'm not trying to take charge. I'm just making everyone aware that two members of our group are wandering off without us."

"They're fine. It doesn't seem that dangerous in here. Now that we're here, I'm not afraid anymore. There aren't any hogs, and there certainly isn't some sorceress."

***

While Reyna led her group, there were squad members behind still groaning about her position. They, too, had grown comfortable with the mysterious island shortly after arriving and were back to focusing on their disdain for the captain.

"Look at her putting herself way in front of us," one soldier pointed out. "This place isn't as dangerous as she made it seem. She just wanted all the glory of being in the lead."

"You're exactly right," another soldier agreed. "She's had it easy from the very beginning. Nobody even knew her when she got promoted. Now, they're just going to use this easy operation to show what a great leader she is for marching in front while absolutely nothing dangerous comes our way."

"I'm going to put an end to this the first chance I get."

"So am I. We've worked too hard to let her take all the credit."

Suddenly, everyone paused as they noticed Reyna come to a complete stop. There were noises in front of her, like something was walking through the bushes. She didn't know whether it was a person or a hog.

Crouching low, Reyna waved her hand behind her, instructing the others to stay put. Then, much to everyone's shock, two Ishla soldiers came walking through, not even paying attention to their surroundings as they chatted with each other.

Immediately, Reyna stopped them by jumping in front and pointing her sword at them. "Do not take another step!" she ordered, leaving both soldiers shaking.

"They weren't supposed to be here!" one of the disgruntled Yeveland soldiers said to the other. "Our Intel said they had no plans on coming to Nova!"

"Well, Captain Fire only has a sword pointed at them. She can't possibly detain both of them by herself, so let's go up and steal her glory."

As the two Yeveland soldiers rushed forward, Reyna quickly turned her head back and yelled, "Stay in your position!"

The two soldiers disregarded her and continued to rush forward. Then, as they noticed the Ishla soldiers attempting to escape, they went into a dead sprint at them.

The Ishla soldiers were so desperate to get away, one of them tripped over her own legs before accidentally bringing the other one down. Then, as the two Yeveland soldiers got close to detain them, Reyna quickly looked around and noticed all five of them were right next to each other.

Grabbing her two comrades, she shoved them backwards while screaming, "I told you not to bunch up!"

They both fell on their backs but tried to get right back up to their feet when they noticed the enemy soldiers now back on their feet, running away. Noticing that Reyna had completely taken her eyes off the Ishla soldiers, they both yelled, "They're getting away, damn it!"

"It doesn't matter! I said don't bunch up! Now, get back, right now!"

Suddenly, in the midst of all the yelling, there was a large explosion right next to Reyna that sent her flying away. The two Yeveland soldiers fell back from the explosion but luckily for them, they weren't close enough for it to impact them the way it did Captain Fire.

When Reyna opened her eyes, she immediately realized she was surrounded by fire and a mixture of dust and smoke. She quickly searched her way out before making her move to get back to her squad.

"Abort mission!" Lieutenant Mara shouted at her group as they all began running towards her. "Everyone move back to the boat! We're being ambushed!"

"But what about Captain Fire?!" one of the soldiers screamed, looking back at the chaos behind them. "She's still in there!"

"You all just head back to the boat! I'll try to see if I can find her! But don't leave until I get back!"

At the same time, not too far away, Celine and her comrades heard the explosion. As her eyes went big and she looked at the smoke coming from the trees, she gathered all her courage and slowly walked forward.

The other Ishla soldiers began running the opposite way, heading towards their boat. Looking back, she yelled at them, "Hey, where are you going?! We have two soldiers up there! We have to get them!"

No one listened. No one turned around. Instead, they all ran as fast as they could, hoping to evacuate at the first sign of trouble.

"You cowards!" Celine yelled as she watched them grow smaller in the distance. Then, turning back, she ran to the soldiers who were potentially in danger.

How dare they?! she thought to herself as she moved forward. We have two soldiers that are going to die from my worst fear! But I won't let them die like this! I won't let them become victim of our own country's dishonor!

Suddenly, as Celine approached the large cloud of smoke, she saw her two comrades running out. There was fear in their eyes, but it still brought a smile to her face to see them alive. However, just as she was about to turn and run with them, there was another explosion that sent all three of them flying.