The Stirrings of a Cold Heart Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alex closed the book and closed his tired eyes. If the vampire in the journal was the same one that the drunk had spoken of then that would mean that Aidan Cathal was the 'whore' and 'bitch' he also mentioned. That she was the very same woman he had met in the church as a mortal and in the hospital as a vampire was more astounding. He thought about her and the compassion she had shown to that sick woman and to the poor man. Surely the blood of a creature so close to being the devil himself was not what was flowing through her veins. He was the very definition of bloodlust and seemed to enjoy watching humanity devour itself. How could a man such as this spawn anything like her? This had to be a mistake and he was determined to prove it. He returned the books to The Church of St. Martin then began his journey back to London.

While the hunter had been doing research, Erik and Aidan had passed the last next several months quite happily. They found pleasure in each other's company and comfort in each other's arms as they slept by day. Aidan did take his name and was proud to wear his Cerberus ring. The image of hellhounds seemed an odd choice for a woman to wear and he had offered to have a more feminine piece made for her, but Aidan refused. She wanted his ring so that anyone who saw it would know that she was his.

Over time the two learned to put up a few mental blocks to keep down the flow of thoughts and emotions between them so in theory they could maintain some sanity. One thing that did not change was that Erik's business dealings always had to be taken care of first, but once it was done the two would become young, flirtatious lovers, holding hands and whispering sweet words between stolen kisses. The pair often visited the theater and during the summer months they spent many a night at Minsden Chapel looking up at the stars. Sometimes they took long walks through the countryside to hear other creatures of the night. All too often the walks ended in a playful chase that resulted first in laughter then passionate love making in whatever place they happened to fall.

As the seasons started to change to autumn, the lovers seemed as close as ever. The September air was still warm and Aidan was eager to go to an assembly hall and dance. As was always the case, Erik promised they would go, but first he had business to attend to. The former opera soprano knew nothing of Erik's business affairs and had never given them a moment's thought. She assumed they were of an honest nature and thought nothing of it. She didn't want to know.

As promised, he returned to Osrik house with a hired carriage to take them out in style. He took her to the Pantheon, a well known assembly hall on Oxford Street. Known for its theater and masquerades, it also functioned as a place where the young could come to socialize and dance. Walking into the hall, they found it to be brimming with young women and men all looking to meet prospective matches. The art of courtship was a difficult one and although a man of good family and fortune could sully his reputation and still be considered respectable, the same could not be said for a woman. Balls such as this along with other social gatherings were an excellent way of meeting an appropriate partner without risking their character.

Erik led Aidan to the dance floor as a new song was getting ready to begin. The couples in their two lines began to move in a well orchestrated pattern weaving themselves around each other. Gloved hand clasped gloved hand as couples circled each other and tried their best to flirt while maintaining propriety. 'Le Coeur Noir' never cared much for dancing or social engagements such as balls, but Aidan did and that made it worth his time.

As they moved about the floor. the vampire began to notice faces that he was not pleased to see. Seated in a large chair like a king on his throne sat a man whose eyes never left 'Le Coeur Noir'. His black hair was cropped close and dark black eyes glittered in the lamp light. This man was a vampire called Ryuu and very little was known about him other than he once lived on Zhifu Island in China and was supposedly visited three times by the first emperor in hopes of obtaining the elixir of life. At one time the two had been amicable and perhaps even friends, but that was a long time ago and the two had parted ways after Erik sold weapons to the Mongols. An arrangement that did not sit well with the Chinese Ryuu. While the two did not come to blows, it had been made very clear that 'Le Coeur Noir' should always conduct himself with the utmost caution if Ryuu or any of his coven were present. Seeing the vampire now and the way he looked at him, it was obvious this was not a happy reunion and the terms were still in effect

The music ended and some couples moved off to quiet corners to talk and new ones took their place on the dance floor. Neither Erik nor Aidan paid any attention to who was joining the lines of ladies and gentlemen. The orchestra once again began to play and all the ladies standing in a row curtsied as all the men bowed. Aidan stepped towards the man to Erik's left and took his hand expecting to be led in a circle before returning to her starting point. She stretched out her hand but as she looked up into the face of the man taking it, she felt a cold chill run through her. The man before her had short cropped hair with a goatee that made him look a bit scruffy despite his expensive clothes.. He had piercing blue eyes that had an air of evil about them and a broad and dangerous smile. The way he looked at her made her skin crawl and she couldn't wait to get back to Erik.

Fortunately it didn't take long and her partner had already sensed her discomfort. He looked over at the dancer to his left and his eyes darkened. He knew this person well and was not happy to see him. His name was Rabon Guntram and he was one of the last remaining Goths and a fellow vampire. He had been turned by Ryuu one night after he had fallen in battle against the Romans. Most importantly, he was not a man to be trusted. Where Erik and Ryuu might stab you through the heart or drain you of your blood, they would not pretend to be your friend first just to betray you. Rabon had no such scruples. In fact, 'Le Coeur Noir' firmly believed that in his mortal days this man would have sold his own mother for less than a beggars mite and laugh at her while he did it.

As soon as the music was over Erik led Aidan to the door. Normally it would be far too early for them to leave the hall, but there was obvious tension suddenly filling the air. Neither Aidan nor Erik wanted to tempt fate. Rabon was the last creature on the planet he wanted her exposed too. He definitely didn't want him to see that there could be even a hint of affection between them. The old Goth would pounce on that like a rabid dog and destroy everything. It was what he did.

They were in sight of the door when another figure stepped forward blocking their exit. A very shapely figure. Standing before them was a woman with smooth, shiny, black hair that was bound up on her head. Her skin had undoubtedly been a warm tan when she was mortal, but now had a paleness that only heightened her exotic look. She wore a red gown detailed in black glittering beads that made her stand out among the other women. She was no child of Ryuu, but was accepted into his coven because of her attachment to Rabon. As long as he could give her the finest clothes and the costliest jewels she would remain at his side. The moment she found someone who could give her better she would leave him. Erik couldn't help wondering what lengths the Goth had gone to just to keep the dark beauty by his side.

"'Le Coeur Noir', I had not expected to run into you here in London," she purred. "Imagine my good fortune."

"Madirakshi," he responded coldly. Instinctively he held on to Aidan's hand then moved forward placing himself between the two ladies.

"And who is this little poppet?" the vampiress asked, turning to Aidan. The dark vampiress looked over at the former soprano taking particular note of the extravagant jewels around her neck and the ring of Cerberus on her finger. She smiled brightly, but Erik knew very well that it was all show and belied her true lethal nature. "Why she looks like she's barely a full grown woman."

"She is a better woman that you could ever hope to be," 'Le Coeur Noir' answered. This wiped the smile from her face, but not for very long.

"Well well, if it isn't my old friend!" called out a jovial voice. Aidan shrank back as the man from the dance suddenly joined them, putting his arm around Madirakshi. His bright blue eyes once again looked Aidan over making her uneasy before he turned his gaze to the lady next to him. "See, Madi, I told you he was lurking in the shadows of this God forsaken city." His cold eyes turned back to the lovely red-head hiding behind Erik and his already dark grin only grew wider. "Ahhh, you must introduce me to this charming lady. You always did have an eye for beauty." The vampire waited a moment, but Erik had no intention of introducing Aidan to either of these two degenerates. "I guess I shall have to handle the introductions myself then. I am Rabon Guntram and this exotic beauty is Madirakshi."

"Aidan . . ." she started to answer politely only to have Erik step further between her and the two vampires.

"Her name is of no importance to you," he growled

"I'm surprised her name is of any interest to you, old friend. How many lovely ladies did you and I share on any given night, passing them back and forth until there was no blood left?" Rabon laughed at the memory, but Erik found nothing to laugh at and continued to stare at the pair coldly. The red-headed beauty behind him looked up at her lover in surprise and he could sense her agitation. Had he really done that?

"We should be going." Erik softly commanded, as he attempted to maneuver past the two vampires.

"Oh come come, 'Le Coeur Noir' has never shied away from a little blood sport and wanton pleasure. I'm convinced you invented it." Once again Rabon laughed, but 'The Dark Heart' was in no mood for games and roughly pushed them aside before leading Aidan out of the assembly hall.

"The dragon seems to be sleeping," Rabon commented as he watched them leave.

"I think it's the girl," Madirakshi commented. "She is wearing his ring so she is obviously important to him. Perhaps lurking behind that sweet, simpering face is a woman with power to tame the beast."

"Then she shall have to be removed just as you would any pebble stuck in your shoe. Once out of the way, I have no doubt the dragon will breathe fire again and woe to those in his wake."

Rabon Guntram and the dark beauty at his side laughed at the destruction they envisioned before them. They loved nothing better than wreaking havoc with humanity they cared not what it cost monetarily or in lives. Their laughter suddenly died down as their own master Ryuu approached. While this ancient vampire had no liking of 'The Dark heart' he saw no point in antagonizing the beast. Some things were best left alone.

"I do not know what the two of you are plotting, but stop it now. I do not want to have to clean up another mess for you two." He gave each of them a sharp look of warning then left the assembly hall.

Erik had been a kindred spirit, but lately he had found his bloodlust calmed and his drive to facilitate man's inhumanity to man stilled. Seeing those two vampires had only reminded him of his darker self and throughout the entire exchange, the red-headed beauty had sensed a rising level of nervous discomfort in her lover no matter how hard he tried to block it. Why was he so determined to keep her from talking to those two? What was he afraid she would hear? Surely she knew all there was already, or did she? They had called him by a name she had only heard once as a child and then forgotten it. Now she wondered.

"Why are you called 'Le Coeur . . ." she started to ask as she got into the carriage. Erik instantly cut her off, unwilling to discuss it.

"Because," he answered, gruffly and in hardly a satisfactory manner. He furrowed his brow as they returned the horse and carriage and decided to walk enjoying the night air. Even then there seemed to be no peace for the vampire as his steps continued to get faster and faster in an effort to put distance between him and the two vampires he had left at the assembly hall.

"That's not an answer," she responded.

"It's the only one you'll get." he returned, unwavering. "Some things are better left unknown."

They walked silently through the night for several blocks before stopping in front of the river Thames. Aidan watched his face in the light of the street gas lamps and could see that although he wore no emotion on his face, he was still uneasy about her question and what few things the pair had said. Hoping to ease his mind she smiled up at him then brushed her lips against his. Eagerly he kissed her back then pulled her against him holding her close.

"Talk to me," she whispered.

"There is nothing to talk about," he answered. "Except to say that if you should meet Rabon and Madirakshi again, you are to walk away. They are not to be trusted and will do their utmost to harm you." Something about the pair told Aidan that this was probably true, but there was something else that bothered her. She could sense that her safety was not Erik's true motive. There was something dark Erik was trying to hide from her and those two knew what it was. She would certainly not seek those vampires out, but if he would not tell her the truth and if she should happen to come across them, perhaps a chat would be necessary.

12