The Stirrings of a Cold Heart Ch. 16

Story Info
A Peeling of Layers.
4k words
4.78
2.5k
3

Part 16 of the 24 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 04/06/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers

For a few days things returned to normal and Rabon and Madirakshi were nearly forgotten. Erik sated his vampiric hunger then went off to conduct his business. Aidan visited one of the workhouses to feed herself as well as give food and money to those in need. She was headed back to the manor house, excited for the night's adventure. Erik had promised to take her to the British Museum, a feat accomplished by paying off the right people. She had always wanted to go and never could before. She had heard about its collection of objects from the South Seas brought back by Captain James Cook and couldn't wait to see them for herself. There was even a new area that had just opened in the last few years that boasted ancient sculptures and artifacts from Egypt, Greece and Rome. With all of Erik's extensive travel, she had no doubt he could tell her many things about the items.

Aidan smiled anticipating all she was going to see, but as she approached a dimmly lit street corner, her smile dropped. Stepping out of the shadows was Rabon Guntram, grinning ear to ear. Instinctively she started to cross the street only to have her hand be caught by the very person she hoped to avoid. She tried to pry her hand free, but the vampire caught her up and started to lead her in a dance without any music and laughing. Aidan couldn't help but wonder if he was mad.

"Ahhh, pretty lady, where are you hurrying off to," he asked, ending the dance but still holding on to her.

"I have to get home," she answered, trying to break free.

"I see 'Le Coeur Noir' has you under his tight control. You wouldn't want to anger him."

"He doesn't control me," she responded, offended by his implication.

"Doesn't he?" Rabon laughed, holding up her hand and showcasing Erik's ring.

"No. I chose to wear his ring. He doesn't make me do anything."

"That's what he wants you to think. 'The Dark Heart' controls everything. He might let you think you make your own decisions, but I can assure you that he has manipulated everything. He always has and always will. It's what he does." The vampire's icy blue eyes sparkled as he spoke, but whether it was insanity or just excitement Aidan wasn't sure.

"Why do you call him that?"

"What, 'Le Coeur Noir'? Because that's his well-earned name. It's what he does and who he is. Even as we speak I imagine your lover is being handed a bag of gold and some new generation of revolutionaries is walking away with a fine cache of weapons," he sneered. Aidan looked at him puzzled. She knew he always had 'business' to attend to, but he never told her anything about it. Rabon noticed her look of bewilderment and was immediately delighted by it. "Didn't he tell you? Of course he must have mentioned it, perhaps you only forgot." He waited a moment, but it was obvious that she knew nothing about it. "His hand is in every war, political assassination, uprising and revolution. He works brilliantly. All it takes is a whispered rumor in the right ear and the world becomes ablaze in hate, discontent and injustice with millions clamoring for blood." Rabon smiled triumphantly as he watched Aidan stare silently at Erik's ruby ring on her finger. "He has spent the last few years going back forth to London either in the employ of the colonists or for agents of Napoleon. The original goal was to make it look like George III died from illness, but instead he is slowly going mad. Either way it is working out nicely." Rabon laughed as though it were all a great joke, but Aidan just stared at him coldly. "My personal favorite was the little job he did for King Henry VII. I'm probably the only one still in existence who knows the truth, besides your master of course."

"Little job?" she asked softly. Aidan was curious to know the truth and yet she feared what she would hear.

"Yes, you see, when a man becomes king you have to make certain that it is secure for both you and your heirs. Henry became engaged to Elizabeth of York ensuring that the Plantagenet and Tudor houses would be united, but there were still two small problems being held in the Tower of London. He needed the Princes Edward and Richard out of the way because he feared that if they were rescued, an army would be raised and his throne taken. Most importantly of all he needed to appear blameless." He could see that what little color had been in Aidan's face was quickly draining away. "He was told of a great assassin that was very costly but well worth the price."

"So 'Le Coeur Noir' murdered the Princes and King Richard III had nothing to do with it at all," she said trying to seem unmoved, but her voice quivered slightly.

"For the price of a king's ransom in gold he snuck into the Bloody Tower through a window and drained them of their blood then licked the wounds erasing the marks just in case someone should find the bodies. He then carried them to a grave already prepared for them ten feet beneath the staircase of the White Tower." A look of feigned concern crossed his face as he looked into the pained face of the vampiress before him. "You look ill, my dear, is something the matter?"

"No," she answered as she pushed away all her emotions. From inside his coat he took out a sword with a pretty green handle that was carved to look like a snake. The blade had been broken and refashioned into a knife that was as sharp as any precision instrument. No doubt it could split a hair.

"Now this is the weapon he used when we were on the island of Öland just off the Swedish coast. There was a fort there and we were paid very well to make sure no one left it alive. We were so fast and so good at what we did that no one would come near the island out of fear for a long long time." He could see the horror in her eyes that she was trying desperately to hide and loved it. "I'm boring you, aren't I. You've probably already heard these stories a thousand times. As his current favorite, no doubt he has regaled you with his adventures, lovers, and his business dealings. I have heard Madirakshi speak so often of their times together and his prowess as a lover that I have the most uncomfortable feeling I was a voyeur watching them." He suddenly flipped the sword so that the handle was held out to her. "At any rate, perhaps you will give this to him as a token of my friendship." Hesitantly she took the blade, making his already dark smile even broader. "You know, seeing you hold that reminds me of another time when . . ."

"Mr. Guntram . . ." Aidan began, cutting off his line of conversation. She couldn't bear to hear him say another word.

"Please, I am simply Rabon."

"Rabon, please excuse me, I'm suddenly rather tired. I am sure it is simply fatigue from this evening's hunt and will pass. For now I would prefer to return to Osrik House and rest."

"I would be glad to escort you there." He extended his arm to her graciously, but Aidan was in no mood for company, least of all his. Without a word she took off into the night leaving the old Goth laughing at how deeply a few words of truth can hurt.

Her mind raced with a thousand questions. She was aware that he had existed for more than 2000 years and that there were many things he had done she might not be aware of, but never had she imagined this. It was hardly a secret that Erik had no love for humanity and the way he relished his nightly hunt was well known, but she had never imagined the levels of cruelty Rabon spoke of. Worse yet was the knowledge that he had only mentioned two incidents and that there were many more centuries she knew nothing about.

Stopping by the River Thames she suddenly sensed her lover's presence nearby. Looking around she saw him talking with a man as he leaned against the stone wall by the river. She saw his eyes momentarily glance in her direction then return to the man before him. He could sense her too, no doubt of it. Aidan quickly started to walk down a side street. She knew every expression and line in Erik's face, knew his tastes and preferences and in those moments when he let his guard down she had shared his emotions. Suddenly he was a complete stranger and she was a little afraid of him.

She wanted to go back to the manor house and think before talking with Erik, but that was not to happen as she saw his silhouette at the end of the street. Instantly she put up a mental block so he wouldn't know how uneasy she was.

"Ready to visit the museum?"

"I don't think so tonight."

"Is something the matter," he asked, very much aware of what she was doing.

"I ran into your friend, Rabon Guntram."

"Oh?" Erik raised his eyebrow.

"Yes, it was a most enlightening conversation. Apparently you have had a most . . . unique . . . existence. He asked me to give you this." She watched his face as she handed him the blade, hoping to see some sign that he knew what she was talking about, but it betrayed nothing. "I understand that you have long provided a service that has been exceedingly profitable and that Madirakshi admires your . . . talents," she explained, trying to be delicate.

"Madirakshi admires jewels, money, power, and herself."

"It is true then?" Aidan asked softly.

"Is what true?"

"You," here she hesitated a moment, then decided to stick with the subject easiest to approach. "You and her were lovers."

"She becomes lovers with anyone she thinks she can profit from. Some, I believe, she murdered when she was done with them."

"I don't care about her actions and past, but I do think I have the right to know yours." At this, Erik's eyes flared hot and he stepped close to her, his face only inches from hers.

"You have no such right. My past is none of your concern. I have lived a thousand lifetimes before you were ever born. I have taken many mortal and vampire lovers and done whatever I pleased. Did you imagine that I lived as a monk until the night you crossed my path? Your jealousy is laughable and your questions insulting. I am the master here and you will do as I say. You will stay away from Rabon and Madirakshi."

"I will not," Aidan said defiantly. The ancient vampire took hold of her arm, his eyes red and she could hear a low growl emanating from him. Her arm started to hurt under his strong grip. "You're hurting me" she begged.

"Go home, Aidan, we will discuss this later." He released her arm and she immediately turned to smoke and went back to Osrik House.

Erik stood a moment in the empty street admonishing himself for hurting Aidan. It was the last thing he wanted to do, but the truth might hurt her more. Slowly he went through the empty street wondering how much she knew. It wasn't that he was ashamed or even regretted his actions over the centuries, but he feared that she would stop loving him. As he rounded a corner he looked up to see the exclusive club for wealthy, powerful men. Inside were fine cigars, billiards and drinks a-plenty. As he went through the door Erik began to consider that it might be time to leave London. His business here would be complete and it would best for him and Aidan if they put as much space as possible between then and Rabon and Madirakshi.

Yes, tomorrow his pockets would be well lined with the money paid to him for supplying poisons, arms and ammunition. Rabon was quite accurate when he spoke of what Erik's business in London was. The only detail he had wrong was that he was working with two different sets of buyers, not one. The poison was paid for by the colonist revolutionaries in the Americas as well as agents sent by Napoleon. The firearms were for a small group of English workers from textiles mills calling themselves Luddites, wanting to put an end to their job losses. Erik cared nothing for the politics one way or the other. What he enjoyed was manipulating the crowd. A small rumor can topple empires and well he knew it. Even as the workers were loading up their guns and ammunition into a cart, no doubt they were repeating and exaggerating the words he had carefully whispered in their ears. Time would tell if it had any effect. Now all he wanted for the evening was a calming game of billiards.

The gentleman's club was quiet. There were no politics being discussed, no business deals to be made. All of the movers and shakers of London society had gone back to their homes leaving only the faint smell of cigar smoke as evidence they had ever been there. Carefully he hit the cue ball and sent it rolling across the table toward the solid three ball, but instead of hitting it the cue ball bounced against the felt edge and rolled into the pocket. This was completely unlike him and he chastised himself. He knew the issue was not his ability, but his concentration. His mind was still on Aidan. As another ball slipped effortlessly into the pocket his thoughts were interrupted by a familiar and seductive voice.

"Such a formidable man as you engaged in frivolity such as billiards. You seem more the type to be planning wars . . . or making love." The voice was a woman's and he could sense she was a vampire, but it was definitely not Aidan. "I remember well the great 'Le Coeur Noir' and how he could make kings tremble at his feet." Erik turned around to face the door where the voice was coming from, but she was no longer there. "I remember too how you could make a woman tremble, though it was with desire rather than fear." The voice was now next to him with her hand touching his.

"Is there something I can help you with, Madame?" he asked, turning to see who it was beside him.

"I think we can help each other." Madirakshi slid herself between him and the table. As she spoke she tried to encircle his neck with her arms. The ancient vampire stepped back and out of her grasp.

Madirakshi's dark eyes stared a hole into him. She was not dressed in the latest gowns of Paris, but rather in a traditional sari from her own country. The beautiful green and gold silk brought out her natural exotic beauty. Erik hated to admit that she was still very appealing. She seductively moved closer to him.

"You always liked me dressed this way." She smiled and looked down at the cue stick laying on the floor where it fell. Stepping over it she closed the gap between them. "It's a shame to see such a great man wasting his talents."

"I don't think so."

"For a man who put poison into the golden goblet of Alexander the Great, you would think he would have the power to remove himself from under the thumb of his mistress. Haven't you always preached that we own eternity and should do as we please?" Her Persian perfume was almost intoxicating as her long fingers unbuttoned his vest and then his shirt. She looked up, her deep green gaze meeting his. As her soft lips gently kissed his chest, she smiled to herself as her actions obtained the desired effect. Erik could feel the need for her blood throbbing within him and he knew the seductress could too. She ceased her caresses and focused on his face. Caught in the moment Erik could no longer block his thoughts and emotions. He grabbed her head and crushed her lips with his. The Ancient vampire raised his head back, his fangs exposed . . .

Aidan had calmed down from her talk with Erik, and sought diversion from the well-worn pages of Milton's Paradise Lost. She had read the story once before but tonight it took on a new meaning. In the character of Satan she could see a similarity to her lover, Erik. Once the most beautiful angel in heaven, he was cast out of paradise transforming into the dark and sinister ruler of Hell. He beguiles Eve and tempts her with the apple causing both her and Adam to leave the garden. Like the devil himself, Erik brought pain to all mortals or so she had discovered.

She was just turning another page when she suddenly felt all of Erik's emotions crash down upon her in one rush. She could see everything that was happening as well as who was doing it. She felt Erik's rising passion and knew what was to come. She remembered how Erik and Madirakshi had once been lovers. Her heart sank as she recalled her master's own words from a few months before 'there are no guarantees with our kind'. No, there weren't any promises between them and there never would be. Sadly she laid her head against the arm of her chair and closed her eyes as she pushed Erik's attentions from her mind.

Just as he was beginning to feel the prick of her teeth on his neck he remembered who this woman was and pushed her away, denying his own need.

"This is impossible. Get away from me harlot." Madirakshi's eyes turned red.

"Hen-pecked . . . I expected more from 'The Dark Heart'. She has weakened you." she hissed. As she left the ancient vampire fought back the desire raging within, but only partially succeeding. He knew of only one way to quell the fires inside. He had to see Aidan. That is, if she would see him at all.

A little before dawn Aidan was preparing for bed. She had dressed in her nightgown and taken the pins from her hair. She went to her bedroom door and carefully checked to make sure it was locked. She knew well it was a futile act, but she hoped it would at least deter him. Taking her brush in her hand she sat down on the foot of her bed and began to brush her hair. She heard the handle of her door begin to rattle and she could feel his presence. Her oil lamp went out plunging the room in darkness and then she heard the creaking of the door hinges.

"Why did you lock your door?" he asked. He already knew the answer, but wanted to hear her say it.

"I didn't want to see you."

"Why?"

"Because." Aidan answered, weakly, She didn't want to answer him. She just wanted him to go away and leave her alone for a little while.

"I would hardly call that an answer," he responded. Aidan's eyes searched the darkness trying to figure out where he was standing. His voice seemed to change locations so the best she could surmise was that he was moving about the room. She even heard the sound of the snake handled blade as he set it down.

"Fine. The reason I don't want to see you is because I know what you've been doing. I could feel it. We are bonded, remember? I know you were with her."

"Her?" he asked. The read-headed beauty was certain he was toying with her and just made her all the more angry. Why couldn't he just admit that he was with another woman.

"Yes, that woman from last night. Maddie-radish or whatever her name is."

"Madirakshi." he corrected.

'Yes her!" she shouted. "Stop playing this stupid game! I won't be manipulated by anyone, not even you!

"Manipulated? Who told you I had done that?" Erik's voice growled from the shadows.

"Rabon. He said that you do that everything and everyone." Hearing this, he was instantly on the bed next to her, his eyes red. Aidan glared back at him with her own burning gaze.

"If that were the case I would have possessed you a long time ago. All it takes is a bite from me and all of the desire I feel becomes yours as well."

"You wouldn't," Aidan exclaimed, alarmed at the prospect.

"Don't insult me," he answered, annoyed by the implication. As if he ever needed to force himself on anyone to have his way. Aidan sat there a moment in silent contemplation. Perhaps Rabon was the one trying to manipulate her. Nothing about him struck her as trustworthy and she had never seen anything out of Erik that would lead her to believe he was anything but. There was the matter of Madirakshi. She could not deny what she had sensed and it hurt to her core. Still, how could she be angry when he had warned her that vampires never formed attachments.

"Madirakshi is very beautiful," Aidan conceded, trying hard to be understanding and swallow her jealousy and hurt. Watching her in the darkness, Erik smiled in spite of himself. No one had ever shown jealousy where he was concerned. Sensing it in Aidan was amusing.

"She is and would be the first to say so," He commented as he reached out and took the brush from his lady's hand. "Unfortunately it vanishes very quickly when her true personality is exposed. Such unmasking never takes very long either." Gently he began to brush her hair, savoring the softness of each curl.

Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers
12