The Stirrings of a Cold Heart Ch. 18

Story Info
The Dragon Awakens.
3.7k words
4.74
2.6k
2

Part 18 of the 24 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 04/06/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers

Plans were quickly laid then Aidan rose to leave with a nod of agreement to Alex Mabon. Stepping out of the cathedral, she looked down at the mark of the cross seared into her hand. A new sense of determination came to her. The hunter was right and she knew it. It was time for her to do what she had never considered and perhaps had been a little too afraid to do before. She had to go and find herself and the sort of person she wanted to be. The question was how Erik would take it.

'Le Coeur Noir' knew where she had been and had stayed away for the very reason Aidan had guessed he would. The place was far too holy for him to even attempt to step foot inside. From the moment she had seen him hovering over that boy and screamed he had felt her starting to pull away from him. The way she had looked at him on the street as though he were a stranger was seared into his mind. He didn't know how he could bring her back. How was he going to explain it all to her? The very thing he had feared most had happened and all because of those two walking excrements, Rabon and Madirakshi. He would make them pay. Ohhh, how he would make them pay.

He had not been idle though. In an attempt to assuage his own anger and frustration he had fed upon the first human he could find. The unfortunate victim was a poor man who had drank far too much alcohol and passed out as he tried to walk home. The vampire usually passed up such potential humans because intoxicants that permeated the blood would pass into them and he preferred his wits about him. Fueled by his anger and hurt over what had happened, the vampire's needs for blood overrode his caution. Within moments the man's blood passed into Erik as did the alcohol content that had been flowing through his veins.

Returning to Osrik house, Aidan was reaching for the door knob when a feeling of dread poured over her. She could feel Erik's presence inside and could sense that he was angry as well as terribly intoxicated. No doubt whatever poor soul he had fed upon had drank more than a few mugs of ale at the local tavern. In fact if she had to guess she would have said that the victim had been paggered for sometime and passed out in a back alley somewhere. She had known that her decision to strike out on her own would not sit well with Erik, but she was determined not to back down or cower before him.

Walking into the sitting room, her eyes looked around, but at first she couldn't see him. All of her senses were on high alert and she could feel his presence as well as his emotions permeating the room. She didn't have to physically see him to know where he was. He was seated across the room, in a high back chair that was turned away from her. The sudden movement of his legs beneath the chair confirmed that.

"You've been busy tonight," his voice was calm as he spoke.

"Yes, I have," Aidan answered as she stepped further into the room. Coolly he rose from his seat, but his steps were unsteady as he moved silently towards her.

"Tell me; is the Rose window at Westminster as beautiful as they say it is?"

"I wouldn't know." The vampiress watched the crackling flames and thought of the large detailed window. She didn't doubt that it was spectacular in the daylight, but it was night and she had not gone far enough into the cathedral to see it. Not only that, but that window, with all its colors and detail, had been the farthest thing from her mind while she was there.

"Wouldn't you?" Erik growled. He was trying to think clearly, but his mind was clouded by the heavy spirits flowing through his blood, making his anger and hurt much worse. He was certain that she was lying to him and before he could give any thought to what he was doing the vampire lashed out, grabbing the side table and throwing it as hard as he could, narrowly missing her. The shock of it caused her to fall to her knees, but he was oblivious to what he had nearly done. His only thought was to expose her perceived lie. Swiftly he grabbed her hand and forced it open revealing the marks left by the cross and the rosary still burned into her flesh. He then showed his own corresponding hand revealing the tell-tale red outline of the same mark. "Do you have any idea what you have done tonight?" he asked as he stood back up, only to stagger backward and fall against the side of his high backed chair

"I had a conversation with a man . . ."

"No." He threw her hand aside then forced her to look at him. "Not a man but a hunter." He growled, his face inches from hers. She could see flecks of red glowing in the depths of his eyes. "His kind walks the earth seeking to destroy us and it will not matter if you are compassionate and generous or hard-hearted and cruel. There is no middle ground for them, only black and white. You should have ripped his throat out the second you saw him." At his words Aidan remembered all the things Rabon had told her about Erik's past.

"Which one are you?" she asked as she stood back up and faced him.

"You forget yourself, little girl," he hissed.

"Not so little, that I can't play whore to 'The Dark Heart'. Now, who is it that shares my bed?" She waited, but he didn't answer. "Rabon has told me things, but I would rather hear the truth from you in your own voice."

"You want to know me?" he asked, a dark threatening shadow falling over his face and his eyes changing to a bright fiery red. Forgoing his normal whispered voice, Erik began to speak in his true voice. The sound was a rasping, grating and growling voice that sounded as though it came from hell itself. "I assisted in the massacre of the innocents in Jerusalem so Herod would have no rival and fed Emperor Caligula's paranoia and insanity ensuring death and tyranny for the Romans. I paid off Charles VII of France to keep him from intervening in the trial of Joan of Arc. I took the axeman out drinking in taverns all night so he would still be intoxicated and turn Thomas Cromwell's execution into butchery. I drank the blood of Louis-Charles the Dauphin of France when he was only 10 years old to ensure he could not be rescued from prison and reclaim the throne. There are many other things I have done throughout the centuries and for each act I have been paid exceptionally well. My vast fortune has been built on blood. I feel nothing towards the human race. They are mere pawns to move at my whim. Is that what you wanted to hear?" She turned away, as new tears began to well up in her eyes. He grabbed her face and forced her to look at him again. "I am also your master and the man who saved you from death. I made you everything you are and you will do exactly as I say."

"Then I am a monster," she said softly. Like an arrow her words struck straight into his heart forcing a roar of anguish to erupt from his throat. With both hands he overturned his chair then proceeded to upend the entire room sending various items crashing to the floor. He desperately wanted to lash out, his fury needed a victim, any victim. Quickly he left Osrik house in search of prey and satisfaction.

Alone, Aidan put back what furniture she could then went up the stairs and began to pack her things. She took only the clothing that had been brought here from the home she had shared with Patrice Claudel as well as the few meager items from her childhood. She then went back down the stairs and was about to leave when she remembered the gold ring on her finger. Silently she walked back to her bedroom and removed the gold bauble and set it on her dresser. All of the jewelry he had given her and all the fine gowns remained where they were. She took one last look around then hastily departed the manor house and went straight for the docks where Alex was waiting for her with a large crate

The entire scene at Osrik house had not been as private as Aidan and Erik might have guessed. Hiding in the shadows and watching through the windows with sadistic glee was Madirakshi. Everything seemed to be working out exactly as her and Rabon had planned. Once 'Le Coeur Noir' had left she continued to watch his mistress pack her things then followed her to the docks, eager to see the red-headed beauty leave permanently. Knowing the end was in sight the dark vampiress smiled as she paid a street urchin to deliver a message to Rabon then flew back to Osrik house to await Erik.

Before Aidan could discuss her departure there was one crucial step that had to be performed or all of this would be pointless. Sitting down on a bench, Alex held a candle before the vampiress which she stared into pulling herself into a trance. She blocked out the memory of Erik and their time together leaving herself the knowledge of who and what she was. She also implanted an awareness that someone would be looking for her and she would have to keep moving lest she be caught. Alex blew out the candle bringing her out of her trance then handed her a leather bag of money. He then explained that the crate was her coffin so she would be safe on the voyage during the day. There were enough crew members for her to feed on that she should be able to make it to her destination without worrying that she might have to resort to killing any of them.

Aidan hugged the hunter and thanked him for his help and his kindness. She had never had a father and couldn't help feeling like this man was as close as she would ever know. She asked him what he was going to do and he promised he would follow after a while and make sure she was doing alright. Aidan assured him she would write and let him know how she was doing then hugged him before fading into smoke and slipping inside the crate, then into the coffin. Alex handed her bag of belongings to one of the sailors instructing him to keep it close to that crate.

Even as Aidan was embarking on a new adventure, Erik was falling into an old pattern of death and bloodlust. He had found a victim, the blood quelling his fury and replacing his alcohol-laced meal from earlier. For a brief moment clarity came to him and he knew he had made a terrible mess of things and he would need to explain everything to Aidan. Hopefully she would forgive him and he even had some confidence that she would. Taking a deep breath he turned to go back to his home only to have that clarity and certainty come to an instant halt as the psychic and emotional connection between him and Aidan suddenly stopped. It was as though half of himself had been taken away.

He was immediately alarmed and went back to Osrik house. Once home, he ran from room to room calling her name, but only silence answered him. Her bedroom door was locked and for a brief moment he imagined she was inside trying to torment him with some foolish game. He grabbed the knob and with his preternatural strength broke it and forced the door open. Aidan was not there. Seated seductively on the bed sat Madirakshi.

"Where is she?" Erik demanded.

"Gone," the Eastern beauty answered. She stood and walked toward him, swaying suggestively. "Forget her, my love. I can fulfill you in ways she never could and treat you as the master you are." She started to reach out her arms to him, but to her surprise the ancient vampire caught her by the throat and forced her down on her knees.

"I'll give you one last chance, before I rip out your throat. Where is she?"

"I don't know. I just know she left," she managed to say through his constricting grip. She pulled at his fingers and arm trying to get free

"What have you done . . . answer me!"

"I have done nothing." Finally she broke free and quickly moved away from him and into a corner across the room. He grabbed a large vase and flung it against the wall next to the window, where it hit a painting and knocked it to the ground breaking the wood frame. He was about to leap at her and tear her apart when something caught his eye. The glint of lamp light sparkled off his gold ring sitting on Aidan's dressing table. Instantly he seized it and his cold stone heart began to break. She would never be without this, he thought and he immediately feared the worst. For the first time since the death of Athanasia, tears filled his eyes and stung his face. He turned away, not wanting Madirakshi to see. He slipped the ring on his own little finger then opened a window and looked out into the night. He had hoped some air would help, but much to his dismay the tears did not stop. "My God," the vampiress said, stunned. "You're actually in love with her." She was right and he knew it. Now he felt as though he were bleeding inwardly at her loss.

"I do love her. She is the only thing that is good in me. She looks at me and sees not a demon, but a man and I don't know why. My world is filled with an overpowering darkness that consumes me, yet her smile is a candle that helps to ease the shadows. I do not know if I can exist in a world without her."

"Of course you can, Erik. You're not alone, Rabon, Ryuu and I can help you. We'll make humanity pay together. With us at your side you can take your revenge and make the world hurt as much as you do now." It was at these words that clarity came to Erik and he understood who had so carefully orchestrated everything with the skill of a true maestro. Ryuu wrote the tune and Rabon and Madirakshi danced to it. The three vampires longed for the old days when they had not only hunted mortals for sport, but tried to outdo each other in numbers and cruelty. With Aidan around Erik felt no desire for blood sport and Ryuu in particular saw this as weak and a waste as did Rabon. Madirakshi wanted the fine clothes and jewels, not to mention the position Aidan held at Erik's side. To both of them the answer was simple: the red-haired beauty had to go. A fresh rage filled him and his eyes began to glow red. Madirakshi felt the heat of his anger and realized the mistake she and the others had made with this plan. I have to escape and warn them, she thought, but before she could move the old Goth's laugh echoed down the hallway and announced his presence as he entered the room.

"She is gone and you are free of your chains, my friend." If he could have seen the glowing red eyes of his vampire elder and the twisted look of his face he would not have been so merry or light. Madirakshi pressed herself as much as she could into the far corner of the room. She wanted to scream at Rabon to be silent, but found she couldn't speak. The room was so charged with anger and hatred that it was almost suffocating.

"Did you kill her?"

"I have not, but we may meet again someday. Your precious meadowlark has escaped her cage and gone to see the world. Who knows what dark sinister creatures she will meet as she travels? Then again, she may be fortunate to find some secluded place where she can pray to her God in hopes of salvation." He laughed at the notion then began to look over the things that Aidan had left.

"What do you believe in?" the elder vampire asked in a low growl.

"I believe you and I are of like minds, my friend." he answered. Madirakshi winced at the statement. "Humans are here solely for our amusement. They are puppets to be played with and manipulated as we see fit. When they have ceased to be useful and we are bored, then we feed upon them. They are intent upon destroying themselves with wars, inquisitions and any other reason and means available. Why shouldn't we profit from it? Let the world burn!" Rabon's eyes glowed with a bright, cruel light. From Aidan's belongings he pulled out a silken chemise and breathed in her fragrance. He didn't see Erik pick up a piece of the broken frame. But Madirakshi did. The Goth leaned close to Erik's ear and began to whisper. "I can understand her appeal. I wouldn't have minded a taste of her nectar. Tell me, did you ever wonder how it would feel to have her by the cunt?"

This last word had barely escaped his lips when his heart was pierced by a stake made from the broken frame. A scream finally escaped Madirakshi's lips and she fell to her knees. Erik forced Rabon against the wall pinning him in place. His eyes were wide with shock and he moaned softly as blood dripped from his lip. The elder vampire pulled the green-handled broken sword knife that Rabon had given him from its sheath and put it to old Goth's neck.

"You are not fit to touch the dirt she walks on. You did all this so you and I could be as the four horsemen and make the people suffer. You have indeed awakened the beast and he needs to be fed, but rather than join me you will be its first victim. Reservieren Sie sich ein Plätzchen für uns sowohl in her hölle! [Reserve a place for us both in hell!]"With his preternatural strength he severed Rabon's head letting it fall to the floor.

Still holding the knife, Erik went out into the night, Madirakshi following behind, afraid to know what he was going to do. Was he hunting for Ryuu or looking for blood in general? His first stop was at the house of the man who had hired him to kill that eight-year-old boy. This man's greed had been the vampire's undoing and as such, he would pay. Transforming to smoke he slipped unnoticed into the home and quickly found the man's bedroom. From his pocket he threw down the bag of gold and jewels he had been paid with earlier, then swiftly grabbed the man and sunk his teeth into his neck, draining him and licking the wound to hide it.

Madirakshi watched the whole thing, wondering how far the vampire's blood lust would go. She followed him from the mansion to London's Royal Opera House. For several minutes he stood before the grand building, his countenance almost demonic as he looked at grand columns and elegant facade. He broke the lock on one of the doors, letting himself in, then began to rummage through storage rooms, prop closets, wardrobe and anywhere else that might yield something useful. Going into the main auditorium he poured lamp oil onto the curtains then across the stage floor and all over Aidan's former dressing room. Madirakshi, realizing the destruction he was orchestrating, started to leave only to find Erik behind her. He caught her by the neck and arm and began to force her to the center of the stage.

"It was not my idea. Ryuu and Rabon were the one who wanted this, not me."

"What was your plan? Did you imagine that I would seek comfort from your lovely arms and adorn your pretty neck with costly jewels? Would you sell your blood and body to me for the price of silk and satin as you did before?" he asked, his eyes glowed like brilliant red fire balls as he spoke.

"N . . . no, I never wanted that." She begged, kneeling down before him. "Please don't kill me! I can't die like this! HAVE MERCY!"

"Ahh, but you forgot something. I am 'Le Coeur Noir' and I have no mercy." He plunged a stake through her heart and into the boards of the stage, pinning her down then turned and began to set fire to the thick curtains. "Run forever Aidan, but I'll find you out. I am still your master and our bond is strong. You can run and block your mind, but I will still succeed. I always find what belongs to me!" As he slowly walked out of the building Madirakshi continued to scream for help until the fire had spread across the stage and theater drowning her out.

Out on the street Erik searched his mind and saw the last memory before their connection was severed. She was at the docks. Hastily he returned to Osrik house and began to pack his things. In the distance he could see a distant hellish glow as fire fighters arrived at the Royal Opera House. For hours brilliant flames lit up the sky and laid waste to the once magnificent building. They would find no trace of Madirakshi except a ribbon from her dress, and a single piece of bone among the ash.

Ohzee44
Ohzee44
142 Followers