The Story of a Lifetime Ch. 07

Story Info
A half-elf lady makes her way back to her lover.
5.4k words
4.78
3.4k
9
0

Part 7 of the 9 part series

Updated 03/31/2024
Created 04/10/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Here I was again in Trostis, the capital of Amella, the glittering jewel of the East. For some definitions of the words "glittering" and "jewel", I guess.

More like the somewhat shiny, polished stone of the East.

Regardless, I was back in my home country for the first time in almost two and a half years. But I wasn't here to reminisce, and I had no family worth visiting.

Trostis is sometimes called the city of churches, and true to its name it is chock-full of huge, opulent churches and cathedrals dedicated to the gods of humans, dwarves, halflings, and even elves. But I wasn't here for religious pilgrimage, either.

I was with my son, Davor Junior, who was already sixteen months old and only just now seeing the land where his mother was born. We were mere days away from the edge of the orcish clan-lands, and by extension his father - Davor of the First Fire clan.

Or at least that's who I assumed the father was. The truth is it could have been any of three different orcs.

But it was Davor Senior who had invited me to live with him when we met, so it was Davor we were looking for. I had already bought a horse, a patient mare that had thinned out my coin purse quite a bit. With a route planned, my method of transport ready, and my coin purse a big light, you'd think I would be buying last-minute supplies and getting moving.

Instead, here I was, in some fancy clothier's shop, looking at some very expensive undergarments.

The clothier, Sophie apparently, had been busy with another girl when I came in. I busied myself taking in the massive assortment of lingerie available. They looked like they were made in a few different sizes, a few looking like a good fit for a child, or maybe a halfling, and others looking like they were sized for someone significantly bigger. And the number of shapes and colours... good gods, where was I supposed to start?

There were a few pairs of lacy underthings that looked like they might be a good fit, but they covered so little that it was almost funny. I wanted something sexy, and I had never been afraid of being adventurous... but a patch of black lace that wouldn't cover even the most sensitive parts seemed a bit much, even for me. Or not enough, maybe. And why were the smallest ones the most expensive, anyway? You'd think that less fabric used would mean a lower cost...

The other woman in the shop was on her own now, and I heard the soft clicks of her heels as she meandered over to where I was. She came to a stop beside me, looking over the same floor-to-ceiling display of overpriced lingerie.

I'd given her a once-over when I first came in, but I spared a quick side-eye to get another. Her hair was like black satin, falling in a smooth wave over her exposed shoulders, and I felt a small pang of jealousy at the thick, straight hair that must be so much easier to take care of than my natural waves. Her skin was a dark olive colour, and flawless in a way that spoke of youth and never having had to work in the sun. I suppose I had that going for me as well, a gift of my father's elven blood. The hair and skin colours marked her as being from Sawarra - or at least her family.

She had clearly put so much effort into maintaining her beauty, despite looking young even for a human, that at first I assumed she was nobility. But the way she carried herself was too reserved for Amellan nobility, and I doubted the Sawarran royal family would lower themselves to shopping in a streetside shop.

We stood in silence for a moment, taking in the almost infinite variety. She probably knew more about this kind of thing than I did, even if she was at least a full decade younger than me.

"These sure have gotten pretty popular these days, haven't they," I mused aloud, tucking a curl of red hair behind my pointed ear. My grandmother would have reprimanded me for fidgeting in such an obvious way, but I'm not a full elf and don't feel like I have to imitate their glacial stillness. Especially not here in the lands of my human family.

"They grew in popularity pretty quickly," the lady agreed, and I felt myself relaxing a shade. I couldn't really afford to shop in a place quite this nice, but she either didn't notice or didn't care about the class difference.

"Some fancy-pants noble probably wore lingerie to a party," I joked, "now everyone wants to match the style." She smiled at my light poking, and I decided she was definitely not proper nobility. "My name's Amaranthea. Most people call me Amy."

"Pleased to meet you, Amaranthea," she answered and gave a genuine smile complete with little dimples. This girl had no lack of suitors, of that I was certain. "I'm Arabela."

I turned my attention back to the two-piece sets. Maybe keeping it simple was the way to go?

I could feel Arabela's gaze travel over me as I considered and rejected another pair (too frilly!). I had inherited the height and slenderness of my elven father's side of the family, and some curviness from my mother's - and my breasts had only gotten larger since having Davor. The red hair, green eyes, and long pointed ears all added to the exotic beauty. There was a kind of objectification that I only experienced from other women, where they either wanted to be me or dress me up and show me off like a doll. I wasn't sure which end of that spectrum Arabela fell on as she looked me over from behind a veil of hair.

Men were simpler: they usually just looked at my hair and breasts and then tried to fuck me. Sometimes they went as far as ogling my waist or ass before coming to that conclusion. Who says chivalry is dead?

"There are so many more types and shapes now," she sighed. "How's a girl to settle for just one?"

Probably that longing sigh was about the pretty panties, but she wouldn't have been the first lady to show that kind of interest in me. There had been a couple of human women years ago, not to mention Ilaira the nymph...

I felt a hint of heat in my cheeks as the memory resurfaced, and quickly grabbed an item off the wall to distract myself from that train of thought. Those two nights with Pux and Ilaira had been magical, and I still couldn't think about either of them without blushing.

"Mhm," I mumbled as I turned the thin cloth over in my hands. It looked tight around the chest and looser after that - it would have been a perfect piece while I was pregnant, but the baby weight was months gone and I would rather show off my slim waist a bit more than this would do. "Last time I was in the city, you had to go to a specialist to get proper lingerie."

"How long have you been away from Trostis?"

"About..." I started, then did some quick maths. "It's got to be a bit more than two years, not as much as two and a half."

I was trying to decide how to side-step the inevitable question about what I was doing abroad when I heard Davvy burble to himself. He'd been napping, but apparently my brief interlude of baby-less silence was done now.

I strode across the floor and scooped him up along with his white shawl that he used as a blanket. He started squirming immediately, no doubt wanting to run around and make some trouble. "Hey, hey," I whispered to him and bounced him a bit in my arms. It was still early enough in the afternoon that he might sleep a little bit longer.

Arabela got the glowy ooh-look-a-baby look people sometimes get around toddlers and drifted towards us. But that expression faded away to a look of politely-disguised shock as she took in Davie's green skin and the nubs of tusks just starting to push through his gums.

A half-elf is the kind of exotic that people like to look at, while a half-orc... it had only been twenty-five years since the end of the last war between Amella and the orcs to the South, and a half-orc was probably an unpleasant reminder of the all-too-fresh wounds left behind.

"Wow," she tried, stammering a bit as she collected herself. Points to her for putting the effort into not looking distasteful about his skin colour. "What's this little cutie's name?"

"Davor," I said in a soft voice, still rocking and bouncing him. He made a valiant effort to keep his big yellow eyes open, but sleep seemed to win out again. "After his father."

"He's very handsome," she said, and I was surprised to hear that she actually sounded honest. Further North, people were a bit more tolerant, but Trostis was closer to the Southern border and people were usually not pleased to see orcs roaming. A vocal minority wanted them barred from the country entirely.

There's no way she was old enough to have been around before the hostilities died down, and if her family was from Sawarra like her trace of accent suggested... she had probably inherited little of the local racism. "His father must be proud," she went on. "Is he... half-orcish and half elf?"

"Half orc, more or less, but only quarter elven and quarter human," I whispered. It wasn't uncommon for me to be mistaken for full elven around here, although back in Yamen En'sol I stood out among the "pure" elves. "And his father... his father hasn't met him yet."

I felt a tightness in my gut as I again considered the fact that I had crossed an ocean and most of a continent to find a man I'd met only once. He might not even live in the First Fire clan now, or he could even be dead. Even if he is there, would he be happy to see me again? Would he smile down at his son, or send us away? Why had I gambled everything on a maybe?

I looked down at little Davvy and watched him valiantly fight against falling asleep, and felt that tension ease. We would be okay, no matter what. I laid him back down on the floor and wrapped his cloak around him again.

"We're on our way to meet his father," I said, quietly enough to avoid Davvy. I was still looking down at his serene face so I didn't have to meet this woman's gaze as I admitted that my son had never even met his dad.

Arabella didn't say anything, and I continued to avoid her eyes. Why was I even telling all this to a stranger? Davor, for his part, burbled quietly to himself and wiggled slightly, not quite able to get comfortable.

"That's where we're going next, and why I've visited every damn shop in town looking for just the right..." I trailed off as I realised how silly I must sound. I was taking my son to meet his father, and so I was spending the last of my money on some nice underwear? I gave a vague wave in the direction of the lingerie in lieu of finishing that thought.

"You want to make a good impression for the reunion," she supplied, and I nodded.

"That probably seems stupid, doesn't it?" I asked after a moment, then laughed to myself. I had no reason to even assume Davor was still interested. Maybe he never really wanted me to live with him, even when he offered. Or maybe he'd moved on by now, more than two years later. He could be married, and have a handful of little orc babies already. Or maybe...

"It's not stupid," she told me, and I was shocked by how earnest she sounded. I looked up at her, and she looked me right in the eyes as she continued, "You're nervous. It's something that you've wanted for a long time, something you've been planning for, and you want it to be perfect."

As she spoke, I realised she wasn't just talking about me. She had her own insecurities, her own similar situation. She seemed so effortlessly beautiful, so innocent, and so different from me. And yet, we were akin in our needs.

"Something like that," I agreed, my blushing slowly being replaced with a smile. "What about you?"

"Me?" she asked, then took a moment to ponder. "The same thing, I guess."

And so she told me about her own struggles, about sleeping with some nobleman and how he was ready to make things "official". I assumed she was marrying some lower gentry, but the way she talked... was she having an affair with a member of one of the actual high-blood families? I ran through their numbers in my mind, trying to figure out who she could be paired up with.

I reevaluated my estimation of Arabella, and decided this young human wasn't so "innocent" after all.

And yet for all of that, she was still nervous. I picked something out for her, something black and small and naughty, and she got this cute little blush on her cheeks as she looked at it. But as soon as I put the lacy little number in her hands, she got a possessive look about her. She looked innocent on the outside, but this girl was pure fire inside.

Whoever this noble was, he was one lucky, lucky man.

We chatted a bit more, until she suddenly pointed at one of the items hanging before us. "That one," she told me.

I followed her direction to the undergarment in question. It was a rich, saturated green, like an emerald. I ran a finger down the fabric, and almost shuddered at the smoothness of the silk.

It had lacy cups that were big enough that they would sit nicely on my breasts, even with them having grown a bit since I got pregnant with Davor. The rest was narrow enough that it would show off my curves and show off my slim waist, and it was just long enough to reach down over my ass. Barely. And the material was thin enough that it wouldn't do much to hide anything it covered. I could pair it with some pretty panties, preferably something very small.

"That rich emerald green colour," she continued, "it'll bring out your eyes and compliment your hair."

"I do look good in green," I whispered as I held the sleek nighty in front of myself and looked at my reflection.

"It looks perfect," she told me. She was peeking around my shoulder in the reflection, and that covetous and admiring look was back in her eyes.

"It's beautiful," I agreed with a sigh. I still had a few more things to buy before I left town. What was I doing shopping for expensive underwear? "But it's... something this nice is probably a bit out of my budget."

"You're down to the bottom of your coin purse and still looking to buy something pretty for his benefit?" she asked, then gave me and the lingerie another look-over. "He must be some guy."

"He is," I told her, and felt that warm nervousness in my stomach again. I gently put the nighty's small straps back on the little hanger. "I met him on the road last time I left Trostis," I explained.

I told her a little bit more about him, but not the whole story. That would take a lot more time, and a lot more wine, than we had.

"I'm going to add these to my order," she told me as she scooped up the lacy underthings I had picked out for her. After a moment, she picked up the green shift and told me she'd ask about that one, too.

I thanked her, but was already bracing myself to hear some outrageous number. A place this nice... what was I thinking? Maybe I could find somewhere across town that had something in my budget that still looked pretty nice. Davor Junior grumbled to himself, clearly needing to sleep but still unwilling to give in.

Arabella minced her way back to me, holding out a paper package, all neatly bundled up. "Is this..." I asked as I reached out to take it, my eyebrows shooting up.

"Yep," she told me with a delightfully wicked smile on her lips. "I guess the price was right."

She'd bought it for me? She'd said she was just going to find out the price on it, that sneaky little devil. "I can't let you pay for mine," I argued, a blush heating my cheeks.

"Too late. I already put it on my tab, and it's too long to fit me right."

"That's..." I started, then had to stop and clear my throat to keep from crying. "That's really kind." I doubted I would have been able to afford it myself. Not to mention I still needed to save some coin for the last of the supplies for the trip, and for whatever expenses came up on the road.

She beamed at my reaction. "What's the point of getting together with a... 'fancy-pants noble' as you said, if I can't help a sister out?"

I lunged forward, almost running, and grabbed her in a tight embrace. In the background, I could hear my son fussing louder, but I held her for another few moments. "I think I need to get him back to the inn for a proper nap." I hoped she would still be here later, so I could thank her properly.

"I've got to do another round of measuring and fitting," she told me, her smile bright as a ray of sunshine, "then I'll be back at the castle getting ready for tonight."

I rubbed my nose, then gingerly dabbed at a tear that threatened to spill out of a corner of my eye. ""I don't know how I can ever repay you."

"Just wish me luck tonight."

"You don't need luck," I told her, and took her hands in mine. I gave her another look-over, taking in her sweet dimples and plump lips, the smooth dark hair falling in a shimmering cascade over her shoulders, and those curves... damn! "You're beautiful and clever. You'll make a good impression on whoever you meet tonight. And if they don't love you, then fuck 'em."

We shared a laugh, and I felt such a kinship with her. "Your man, Davor, he's going to be so happy to see you," she promised. "And when he sees you wearing that little thing... he'll lose his mind. If you're ever in this part of Amella again, ask for me at the castle. I want to hear all the details of your reunion."

As I scooped Davvy up, I promised her I would see her again, and promised myself I would find a way to make it happen. She sauntered off back to the counter, where Sophie was waiting for her, and I was alone with my son again. Only... I didn't feel quite so alone this time.

Junior and I made our way back to the inn, and even though it wasn't yet noon, we shared a nap. We had another long trip ahead of us, and I wanted to take whatever extra rest I could find.

Once Davor and I were up and moving again, we met with the small caravan I had signed us up with. They wanted to leave right away, but when I asked the lady in charge why we would leave in the afternoon, instead of at first light so we could get as much distance in before stopping, she simply told me "Time and tide wait for no woman".

That seemed especially stupid since Trostis wasn't even a port city, and was hundreds of miles from the ocean. But I wasn't keen on travelling by myself, so I nodded along. The roads in Amella were safe, but a young woman and an infant riding by themselves? That's just asking for trouble. I had just enough time to grab our pony from the stables and pick up the last supplies I would need, then we were moving.

I glanced back at the city a few times, and watched it shrink away. I wondered where Arabela was right now. Maybe still getting fitted, or back in the arms of her nobleman already.

I learned two things very quickly during my travel with the little convoy: one, Davor junior did not care for riding on a horse for hours at a stretch, and two, if an infant squeals and cries for long enough, travelling merchants will let him ride on the cart to keep him quiet. I gave Davvy the sheets of thick parchment I had gotten (turns out you can buy used parchment for coppers to the pound) and some coloured chalk, and that kept him mostly busy and entertained for the next three days.

We followed the same route I had taken two years ago, going roughly East along the King's Road until we reached the same crossroads I had once split off from Berta and Roy to follow Davor and his group. This time would be a little different, since the group I was with was going the same way I was: taking the Highever Way from this junction and heading South towards Crosston.

That evening, I tucked Junior into the sleeping bag we were sharing, and found myself just watching him and fondly smiling. He had the white cloak bundled up and held tight in his little hands. It was his safety blanket, and he probably had no idea just how much that thing was worth. Then again, he took it with him everywhere, so maybe he knew its value better than I did.

I sat by the dying embers for a little while, long after everyone else had gone to their own bedrolls. Well, everyone except Mirro and Bentafa, the two halflings guys who had joined up with us after the first day. They told everyone they were just friends and business partners, but I have keen eyes and ears, and it wasn't much effort to spot Mirro creeping over to his partner's bedroll at the far edge of our group to spend the night there.

12