The Story of Ryujin

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This didn't stop him, however, as he pulled out his swords and tossed them to the grass as he walked up to the massive branch. She opened up her eyes as she looked upon him. He then took his arms and wrapped them around the fallen branch. His arms managed to wrap around it, where he quickly summoned the strength to lift it. The woman watched in amazement as he quickly picked up the branch and, with one single heave, tossed it deep into the woods with a loud hard crash.

"Are you?....." he tried to ask her, but he could tell just by looking at her leg that it was bad.

"Mmm....." she shook her head no. She closed her eyes as she felt some relief that the branch was finally off of her. The damage, however, had already been done.

He got on his knees in the grass next to her by the tree that was dying. He observed her wounds. There was a gash on her lower right leg where the branch fell at. It was crushed rather than cut inside. The bleeding that he saw was more caused by a blunt impact rather than a cutting wound.

As he looked at the wounds, something triggered inside him like he knew what to do next. He had a flash of memory hit him as he looked at the white dress.

"I will need to make something from your dress to help tend to your wounds, alright?" he asked her. "Do I have your permission?"

"Please.....," she nodded yes.

Tatsu went and grabbed her other leg portion of her dress as he began to tear pieces of the clothing up. While not generally easy to do, his strength was so strong that the sound of silk ripping could be heard as he began to tear the strips up. He then began to tie the pieces together as he began to turn them into a bandage to be wrapped around her leg. Slowly but surely, he managed to seal the wound and wrapped the silk bandage together.

"Ah!.....," she yelped in pain. Tatsu was unfazed as he didn't stop. Instinct was driving his actions as he was doing his best to tend to her injuries.

"I have the wound bandaged.....wrapped up," he said to her. "Your leg is broken. I believe I know how to fix it, but it will be painful. The bone needs to be put back. Do I have your permission?"

"Yes,.....please," she whispered.

Her teeth were clenched as Tatsu carefully took her leg with both his hands. He shifted his knees to ensure that he would only have to do this once. He felt that he knew what he was doing. With one forward jolt, he pushed her damaged leg forward as he heard a crunching and popping sound.

She screamed in pain, but as quickly as it happened, it was fading just as well. Completing his task, he put her leg down, and her arms were flailing about a little as she fell to her back.

"It is done," he tried to calm her down. "I have put your leg back into your body. It should heal quicker now."

The woman was crying in pain now, but slowly but surely, she was starting to regain some of her composure as the pain slowly subsided. She was wheezing a little bit as he offered her hand to her. He sympathized with her as she put her hand to his.

Tatsu's eyes scanned the woman and analyzed her form to make sure she was not in any other danger or if other parts of her body were damaged. There was one thing though that he knew was sure about, though. She needed to be brought to shelter to try to recover. This was no small feat to recover from.

The woman appeared to be in her early twenties similar in age to the monk he saw earlier. She was Japanese just like the others as he noted her long black hair that was tied up. She had a distinct mark on the side of her head that appeared to be a black dot of a tiny mole on the side of her cheek. He had no other way of marking her appearance since he had not seen any of the other women as of yet. He didn't want to note the color of the clothing due to her having a different variety of clothing.

"Thank......thank you....." she quietly and almost said in a whisper to him.

"Are you well enough to walk?.....Hmmm," he thought about it. The answer seemed obvious. "No.....I guess you are not well enough to walk. Any more damage to your leg would be futile at this time. I won't lie to you. The damage to your leg is severe. I have stopped the bleeding a little bit, but you might end up losing your leg after this. I need to have you taken to your home or nearest village to have you cared for. I have yet to encounter anyone yet."

"Fifteen-minute walk....." she struggled to reply. "Continue walking west to the village by the ocean. My home.....my.....name is Haru."

"Haru, my name is Tatsu. I will take you to this village. I will have to carry you there. I can't promise that it will be a comfortable carry for you, but I have to get you to the others to help you. I have done everything that I have done here."

She nodded her head as she closed her eyes to bear the pain as Tatsu walked over and stuffed the two bokkens to his belt before he got back into a kneeling position over her body. She seemed light and easy enough to carry. Of course, for Tatsu, he was more than strong enough to lift her. It would be easy enough to bring her to the village.

Using both arms, he carefully scooped up her body. She winced some more as the pain continued to set in for her. He knew he was no healer. He had to get her to safety as soon as possible. Carefully holding her in both his arms, he got on his two feet, keeping her safe and secure in his arms. She naturally grabbed his arm for leverage, but there was no need for it.

"You look like you are handling this pain well," he remarked as he slowly carried her careful not to jump or bounce around too much to cause her any more pain. Her legs dangled a little bit, which didn't help any. He didn't devise any type of splint or anything that would help her situation any more than it should.

"You are......so strong," she remarked in the same accent that Musashi and the monk said as well. She kept her gaze focused on him as he got back on the dirt path and began to walk west towards the ocean to reach the distant village. "Dragon.....you have an old name for a dragon."

"I know," he told her. "Do me a favor. Do not sleep. I am worried about your condition. Do not fall asleep, for I fear you will never wake up. I will do everything I can to keep talking to you."

"I understand, Tatsu...." She replied. "Thank you.....thank you for saving me."

"It's alright. It's alright," he replied. "I don't mind helping others."

"You are so strong......you lifted that....." she swallowed hard as she winced in pain. "You lifted that branch so easily. It would have taken two.....three men to pick it up."

"I am just strong that way," he said with a small smile. "What more could be said?"

"Where do you come from?"

That was something he had to consider as he had been walking earlier. He already had a small story constructed from what had happened to him. He wanted to respect Musashi's wishes and not tell that portion of the story, but he could be open to the rest very quickly.

"My name is Tatsu. I am a traveler walking around the island of Kyushu in search of of.....my memories. I was in a battle that I apparently lost, and my memory has been affected."

"You don't know what happened to yourself?"

"I am afraid I don't. It is....I am doing everything I can to trace what happened to me. I don't even know if Tatsu was my real name. It is an adopted name until I find my true identity."

"I am so......sorry," she replied to him. Her voice was sincere, even in her own situation. Tatsu himself noted her words even though she might likely lose her own leg. It was a true act of compassion from a people that have not only given shelter to him but act in kindness even in their own demise.

"I am more worried about you," he tried to confer to her. "My memories will return, or at least, I hope they will return soon. Until then, I must travel around the area in hopes that the environment will restore it. Perhaps talking to more people will make a difference."

"My village....there are at least fifty by the ocean. They will give you as much.....guidance as possible."

"Thank you, but again I am more worried about you. Haru, tell me about yourself. I need to know everything about this area as possible."

She continued to keep her arms around his as he continued his long walk to the village. Despite her pain, she was staying awake at least and keeping up her conversation with him.

"I was born in this village.......where you are taking me. I was......going for a walk not far from here. I......wanted to enjoy nature like I always do."

"It was a good thing I found you. It might have been awhile before somebody else could have come and helped you."

"Yes....I was just about to turn back.....when the tree branch started to crack over my head. I tried to leap, but......but...."

"It fell straight on your leg in the process," Tatsu concluded. "It's alright. They will be able to help you."

She gripped onto him hard as tears fell from her face. "Thank you......thank you for helping me. I.....don't want to lose my leg."

"We will see what will happen," Tatsu explained to her. "I am not here to lie to you about what will happen, but maybe they can help you. Keep talking. Tell me more about yourself."

"I was born here on the island of Kyushu. This village was established......not long after the city of Kumamoto was made. Fisherman.....we are a fishing village, but we have some farmland."

"Sounds like a peaceful place."

"Have you been to Kumamoto?"

He shook his head no. "If I have, I have no memory of it. Right now, meeting some people is alright, but I don't wish to meet too many at once."

Tatsu's footsteps were slow but maintaining a constant pace towards the village. He could see the outlines of the clearing far in the distance where the winding path took him as he carried her.

Her eyes began to close slowly as he quickly noticed it. "Hey! Keep talking to me. Tell me more about everything. I need to know everything about this area. I don't want you to fall asleep!"

She cringed a little bit and nodded her head. "I have a father. His name is Noritaka. My mother passed away giving birth to me."

"I am sorry," he commented.

"It was long ago.....I grew up as my father raised me. He taught me in the ways of fishing and womanhood. Had......to do both."

"It means that you are versatile in your ways," he remarked. "Do you have? What is it called? Siblings?"

She shook her head. "No....my mother's demise meant that I had no brothers or sisters to speak of. My father......is thinking of remarrying, though. I keep......trying to convince him to move on."

"I understand. So you grew up in the village all this time. Do you have other family here?"

"I have a cousin that lives here. My grandmother lives far north of Kyushu. I have......only seen her once."

"What about your mate....ermmm.....husband?" he quickly corrected himself. "Would he be able to help you?"

The question, even in her state, took her by surprise. It took her back, and she looked at him harder than ever before. It was definitely making her think of something other than the pain she was feeling. She did her best to try to answer his question.

"I apologize if that question was too personal," he told her.

"No....no, it's alright. I don't have a husband. Umm....I don't."

"I understand."

*******

Tatsu reached the village at the exit of the forest path. The town was small, indeed. There was a series of dirt paths that led north and south along with the village. Far ahead of him was the ocean.

The huts and homes were scattered about. Homes were connected to farms that grew various vegetables, fruits, or even rice. It was not as big as she indicated. A village of fifty meant that it was really more of a series of few homes with some buildings scattered about. It was still midday as he carried her.

"We have arrived," Tatsu told Haru. "Almost there."

Haru turned her head in his arms as she looked at her home. She felt some relief as she looked at the area. The village was typical for a Japanese setting of the early Edo period. With most of the village connected to the water itself, only so much of the community was dedicated to farming. The farms were small, and Tatsu himself could see a couple of boats in the far distance where people were fishing. It was not a castle town, even though the city of Kumamoto was not too far away. There were no gates of any kind. The houses were made of wood since the forest provided an abundance of it, and the trees were sturdy enough to handle the stress of numerous natural disasters. The homes were built in both a pit-style home with a couple of built-in shoin zukuri style. The long wooden roofs would align down to shield and provide shelter for the inhabitants. All in all, there were at least ten homes total with several other buildings used for storage, workshops, and sheds.

It would have been serene if Tatsu was not in a hurry to get help. He kept his pace as he neared the outer edge of the town. He could see a couple of farmers that turned to look at his direction and see him carrying Haru. An older woman dropped her tools and ran inside the home. Another person from another home saw what them and ran to the center of the village. Tatsu didn't have to say much yet. Help was coming, and all he had to do was keep walking to the village itself.

"I think.....they will welcome you after this," Haru remarked to Tatsu.

"It is good that you are in good spirits," Tatsu replied. "That is even with a busted leg."

"I stopped feeling any pain in my leg," she told him. "There was massive pain, but it is gone.....I can look at it and see that it is busted, though. I don't know why."

He had a bad feeling in his gut when she told him that.

There was more activity in the village when one of the men that looked to be in his thirties stepped out of the most substantial home that was in a shoin zukuri style as well. This large home indicated to Tatsu that this might be the leader or high caste of the village. It was his opinion that he was a samurai. He had a katana on his belt that he kept ready as he came out to meet Tatsu and Haru as if he was prepared to investigate what was happening.

"That is Kiyoshi," Haru explained to Tatsu. "He is the samurai that leads the village. He will not harm you as long as you follow his words."

"I understand," Tatsu replied. He looked at the man carefully as he approached him. He had a mustache and black hair tied up into a topknot like most men. His kimono was bluish-green with hints of white. It was evident that he had no other means to protect himself since his arrival was so sudden. Tatsu's own size made him stand out a little bit, though. He stood at least a foot taller than most of the people. Even Kiyoshi had to look up at him. He had a steady face as they stood looking at each other. A crowd of people came running behind him.

"I found this woman Haru in the woods," Tatsu explained. "She needs help! Part of a tree fell on her."

Kiyoshi didn't need to be told anything else. He pointed to one of the men as he ran to one of the buildings. "Take her in there now," he ordered Tatsu. Tatsu didn't need to be told twice as he took Haru to the nearest building the other man ran to.

Haru remained calm as Tatsu entered the building. It appeared to be a shed of some sort with a long table. The man inside pointed to the table as Tatsu walked up and, in the best and slowest manner, delicately put Haru down on the table.

She winced a little bit as her leg practically dangled as her body rested on it. The table took over and straightened out her leg in the process for her. A little bit of blood trickled from her wound. For Tatsu, it looked worse it looked from before.

Kiyoshi entered the house as he looked at Haru and Tatsu. He was still calm as he looked at her. The other man in the house began to tend to Haru's wounds.

"Kiyoshi....." Haru explained to him. "He saved my life. He means us no harm. A tree fell.....," she said, wincing as the man that was looking at her leg thoroughly checked her body.

"It's alright, Haru," Kiyoshi replied. He turned his attention to Tatsu. "I need you outside so I can talk to you more personally."

"Understood," Tatsu replied as he followed Kiyoshi outside the building. He looked at Haru again as she nodded her head towards him.

When they stepped outside, there were a couple more people that went into the building where Haru was residing at. They carried miscellaneous items to help tend to her wounds. Tatsu himself focused his attention on Kiyoshi that had one hand on the handle of his katana. He noted that the katana was made of metal, not the wooden swords that he had.

"Explain to me, who are you?" Kiyoshi demanded.

"My name is Tatsu. I am a wandering traveler. I am on the search for....myself."

Kiyoshi's brow lifted. "Dragon?.....Do you have any other name?"

"Unfortunately, I do not. I was in a battle not long ago, or at least I think I was. I survived the battle, but my memory hasn't. I do not know who I am or where I come from. I was traveling from the east when I found Haru. A fallen tree branch had crushed her leg. I brought her back to be taken care of."

Kiyoshi bowed his head slightly to him. "Thank you for doing that, Tatsu," he paused a little bit. "Interesting...." He turned his head to look at the two swords on Tatsu's belt. "You travel with two bokkens with you, yet you carry no hard weapons. I have heard stories of a few duels in the past that were done with two swords. There are rumors that a famous swordsman is also around here as well. Have you seen this man?"

"No," Tatsu lied.

Kiyoshi seemed skeptical. "Hmmm.....perhaps you have, and you don't know who he was. I can blame your memory loss as a factor. How long have you had this memory loss?"

Tatsu thought about it for a moment in accordance with the constructed story he had. "Let's see......about a couple of weeks. I helped out a man that gave me two of his wooden swords along with a meal.

"Hmm....no matter. You rescued a fellow person from the village and brought her back. That is all that matters. I see no reason in preventing you from being in this village. You are welcome to stay here and relax."

Tatsu was happy to hear the news, but the celebration was short-lived. One of the people that was tending to Haru came walking out of the house. He had a look of worry and sadness in his face as he came and told Kiyoshi the news.

"She is going to lose the leg......," he told both of them.

"What?" Tatsu replied. Even Kiyoshi's eyes widened.

"I am sorry the man continued. The bone has been crushed completely. The bleeding is under control, but the damage to the leg is severe. We can choose to amputate the leg or leave it as it is. She won't be able to walk on it ever again. We will leave it in your choice if you wish to have it removed or not."

"The damage did not seem that severe," Tatsu replied. "She was not in any pain."

"That is because the nerves were cut. We can approach it in three different ways. We either leave the leg as it is, and maybe somehow, she pulls out of it, but even then, the damage will be too extreme for her. She will never be able to walk on that leg regardless. Another choice is to remove the leg to the bottom portion of the knee, but she will be vulnerable to infection. The last choice is to remove most of the leg."

"Damn!" Kiyoshi replied as he let go of the grip of his katana. He looked at Tatsu, and he sighed. "Saved her life just to have that sort of news....Fuck." He turned around and looked away from both of them. "What does she want?"

"She wants to keep her leg. The catch is by keeping the leg; she will be most vulnerable to disease. Even if she decides to keep it, it is most likely possible that the leg will eventually rot and drop off anyway. She can never walk on it again."

1...34567...16