The Subtle Arts Pt. 01 Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Academy campus was really an old Roman fort, with a couple new additions added a few centuries later at the height of medieval feudalism. The mixture of Roman and Gothic architecture was a little odd and truly unique. Although the campus wasn't big like a stereotypical medieval castle, it still took a few minutes to run from the squat Roman tower where Kerrigan kept his quarters over to the great hall.

The 'great hall' really was a bit of an exaggeration. The fort was built as a military installation, and the medieval additions continued that theme. As such, the great hall was just a long low stone building where the garrison used to gather for meals. Even so, it was still big enough to seat the entire Academy 'faculty', 'staff', and students. That part was a little sad Hal thought.

There were two other Academies in the world, and both bigger than this one, but it was obvious that the magical population was in serious decline. Stewart, the historian that gave the first-years lessons before lunch, had confirmed as much. "There was never a great number of mages in the world, and the old ways of intermarrying the magical lines led to more problems than anything else. Thus, we were forced to marry non-magical families, and this dilution was both our salvation and our eventual destruction. Even the mighty 'golden lines', the most powerfully magical families, are but gilded brass these days", he had told them during one of the more sobering lessons.

Still, the great hall was lively with crackling fires and conversation when Hal burst in from outside. The lunch hour was nearly done, but the hall wouldn't empty until the last possible moment. Hal accepted a plate of roast lamb and a stern look from one of the cooks and slunk down at the table next to Brianna. "There you are!" She exclaimed, "I was just telling John how I made you jump like a scalded rabbit this morning."

Hal cringed at her words, and the low rumble that met his ears next told him John was laughing too. Jean-Phillipe Petit du Bois, or just 'John' as he liked to be called, was enormous. Seven feet tall, and broader than the broad side of a barn, he was almost a force of nature. His voice was as deep as thunder and his laughter was like the crashing of waves on the bluff, yet despite his terrifying proportions he was gentle and kind. Unless you called him by his 'nickname', Little John. Still inwardly cringing, Hal muttered his reply "not gonna let me live that one down huh?"

Brianna's eyes were glinting evilly as she countered "nope."

Hal made an indistinct noise in reply "Just some stuff on my mind this morning is all, nothing that important really..." Brianna started to interject, but Hal waved her off "...the really important stuff is what happened in my lesson this morning."

Smelling the diversion for what it was, Brianna was no less curious. "Oh yeah?" she let out, eyes narrowing "like what? Did you finally drive Kerrigan to his grave?"

Her sarcasm couldn't blunt the pride in Hal's retort "No, killjoy, I passed my first-year exam!"

John was quick to boom out "Congrats!", and Hal just shot a smug look at Brianna, who sputtered "But there's still a month left before term ends!"

Hal was ready with his coup de grace, "Well Brianna, I guess some of us are just a little more skilled." With that he winked at her, fist bumped John, stood up and started his walk home. Hal didn't really think of himself as above his classmates, but Brianna was brash and bragged about her skills constantly, so it was good to pay her back in kind every now and then. Unfortunately, Brianna's comments had reminded him of this morning, and his mind began to wander back to Ally as he walked.

He wished he could call her, but with the six-hour time difference and her lack of 8 AM classes meant she would still be fast asleep. There wouldn't be cell signal until he got back into town anyway, and even then it would be spotty. Then again, even if he could talk to her, he would just have to lie. She couldn't know about any of this of course, it was a huge secret. As far as she knew, he was attending University College London at his mother's insistence.

Their infrequent phone conversations had become more and more strained as she pressed him for details regarding university life and London, and he struggled to make up details and continue the charade. Hal knew that she probably thought he was losing interest, and he feared that she would seek the attentions of another man. With term ending at the close of May, he would be flying home soon, to his Ally. The only problem was, he had no idea what he was going to say to her.

***

Half a world away, in College Station, Texas, Ally lay awake on her extra-long dorm bed. It had been another sleepless night. She had turned down another date on account of her absentee boyfriend. It wasn't his fault that he wasn't here with her, but that didn't stop the bitter feelings. It would have been better if he would just talk to her, but she could tell he was hiding something from her. She had been faithful to him so far, and she would continue to be, at least until the summer when she could corner him and make him talk.

As much as she hated it, if he couldn't open up to her, then she would break it off with him. Even if he did open up, she still might have to break it off. She didn't want to spend another term with no sleep and no dates. She rolled over and pressed her face to her pillow and cried until her alarm rang an hour later. Then she got up, took a shower, and pretended to be okay. As she walked out her door, she scratched off another day on her calendar. Another day closer to Hal coming back. Another day closer to an uncertain future. By the time she made it to her first class, American Lit, Hal was just a dream slipping away from her conscious mind.

12