The Surrender of Tudela

Story Info
A princess in medieval Spain surrenders to a rebel kingdom.
8.4k words
3.64
19.9k
17
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
zsazsa12
zsazsa12
74 Followers

Lady Eldara of Tudela stared nervously at the foreboding castle portcullis. The long-abandoned but recently re-occupied castle of Santa Vega stood before her, its near-crumbling towers still casting an imposing shadow across the Ebro valley. Atop the castle turrets, Eldara could make out archers, their bows at the ready, threateningly facing Eldara and her small party. Eldara bit her lip in anger at the sight. She wanted nothing more than to grab a bow herself and fire at the miscreants glaring at her. Instead, she gestured to the knight at her side, who raised a flag of parlay.

An archer on the castle turret saw the flag, and whistled loudly. More archers assumed positions on the castle walls. And then there was a loud clanging as the castle portcullis was raised up. Eldara's heart began to beat unpleasantly against her chest; she felt as though she was throwing herself into the jaws of a beast. But there was no turning back now; she knew the gravity of her task. She sighed deeply, gathering herself, and began to walk across the castle drawbridge.

As Eldara's party crossed the drawbridge, no messenger arrived to greet them. Instead, there were lines of armed men, their swords sheathed but openly displayed. They fear subterfuge, Eldara realized. If only she were entrusted with such a mission, she thought with frustration; these men had no cause for alarm from her or her tiny party. The two lines of men formed a path to the main castle hall. Eldara walked on, her eyes upturned and refusing to meet their gaze. Out of the corner of her eyes she could see bandaged wounds and rusted armor, but above all she could sense the smug delight in their eyes as they watched her pass onwards.

Finally, as she approached the castle hall, she saw a short, portly figure at the top of the stairs. It was Alfonso, former butler to her father-in-law the Count. He clapped his hands together, smiling tightly but gleefully. "My lady Eldara, how wonderful it is to see you again!"

Eldara refused to drop her composure. "Alfonso," she said with a dead voice. "We had heard you had found good company among these traitors."

Alfonso raised a finger, as though correcting a pupil. "Ah, my lady. I believe you mean among the Court of Lord Ramon Vargas of Cincorios. We have been expecting you for some time."

Eldara did not know what to make of that. Why were they expecting her? "I come bearing the signed agreement from my father-in-law the Count." She gestured to her servant. "Present it to Ramon for signing and return it to us. We will wait at our camp outside the walls."

Alfonso shook his head. "I'm afraid not, my lady."

Eldara was taken aback. Her anger flared. "What do you mean by that? These are the terms agreed by both parties. Is this yet more villainy from Ramon?" Guards to the side of Alfonso put their hands on the hilts of their swords. Alfonso gestured downwards with his hands to calm them. Eldara suddenly felt foolish for her provocations.

Alfonso smiled benevolently. "Lord Ramon is a man of his word. The agreement will be signed. However, the terms were that a representative of the Court of Tudela would be physically present at the signing with Lord Ramon. That representative is you. Surely you had been told of this?"

Eldara grunted. She had been told of this, but was hoping that Ramon had forgotten. "Very well, lead us to him and let us be done with it."

Alfonso shook his head. "Lady Eldara, the terms were that only a single court representative be present. Your knights and servants shall have to wait outside."

Eldara's nose curled. Such etiquette was not unheard of among civilized courts. Her father-in-law had prepared her for the possibility that Ramon would request this. "Very well. Lead on, let us get this over with." Eldara gestured to her handmaiden, who handed her a thick scroll, which was bound tightly with gold-stitched leather.

Eldara followed Alfonso inside the great hall. Behind her, the door slammed shut with a small roar. Two guardsmen crossed their long pikes in front of the door, smirking at her. There was no exit until Ramon granted it. As Eldara followed Alfonso down the central passageway, she could hear the growing din of music and drums.

She entered the main hall. All about the room was a great clamor and din of celebration. Long tables stretched across the room with fountains of wine. The nobility of the Ebro Valley packed the room, clapping each other on their shoulders, joy across their faces. Lords and ladies enjoying food, drink, and the great relief of the war's ending. Many nobles that Eldara did not recognize; some perhaps there to ingratiate themselves to the victors.

Some men groping at slave women, distracting them from their serving duties. The celebration of the great victory of Cincorios over the Lord Garces of Tudela, her father-in-law. She scanned their faces, and recognized most of them. They had long served her father-in-law, many of whom were thought to be loyal subjects. Before they turned traitor and rebelled. Before they gained their independence from Tudela.

Alfonso bade Eldara to wait at the door as he strode to the front of the hall, where on the raised dais was a more regal table. Sitting on an ornate chair was a young man with plain clothes and a long, black beard. Two wenches were about him, one sitting on his lap, the other dropping grapes into his mouth. Eldara recognized him; the new Lord of the Ebro Valley, Ramon Vargas. The man who had led armies against her court, and quite nearly burned Tudela to the ground.

Alfonso whispered into Ramon's ears, and he smiled. He clapped loudly and stood. "My lords and ladies! Our honored guest has arrived! I give you the Lady Eldara of Tudela. Our dear friend and your...former... liege." He barely concealed the gloating in the word "former."

The crowd looked to her and roared in approval. At Tudela, they would never have dared to make eye contact with her; they would have acknowledged her silently, their faces downturned. Here they hooted and laughed, even the slave women. Eldara ignored the slight and the dishonorable conduct of the crowd. Her father-in-law would pay them back 10-fold once he raised new armies.

Ramon gestured for the crowd to be still. "My Lady Eldara, you may come forth," Alfonso announced. The crowd made a path for her to approach the dais. She stood at the base of the dais, Ramon conspicuously above her. She did not speak. The crowd grew still and murmured at her silence. Typically, it now would be the duty of the guest to acknowledge the lord and begin the dialogue. But she did not move.

Ramon smiled benevolently. "Please, my lady, join me on the dais. Let us speak as equals."

Eldara ascended the stairs and stood before Ramon. "I come as a representative of the Court of Tudela, bearing this letter signed with the seal of Lord Garces de Tudela. I trust that we may conclude our business honorably; my honored father-in-law has said that his correspondences with you have been respectful and fruitful."

Ramon nodded. "Indeed, they have. Relinquishing the Ebro Valley to us was a painful concession to Tudela, I know this. Of course, not doing so would have come at great cost to both him...and you, isn't that correct?"

Eldara tried her best to not acknowledge his implication, but her wince was caught by Ramon. "It must have been a very difficult three months for you, my lady," he said softly, with hidden taunting.

Eldara straightened herself up. "It was a difficult war for everyone, Lord Ramon. Shall we continue?"

Ramon nodded. He withdrew a small dagger and cut the bindings that held the scroll together. He scanned the letter. "I shall need a minute to review the document. While I do so, my lady, I have a request of you." He gestured to the two wenches who were flanking his chair. As a high-born woman yourself, you must be skilled in the art of identifying the finest of clothing. I could use your judgement."

He gestured to the slave women, who stood aside his table. To Eldara's befuddlement, the women pulled their arms through the sleeves of their scratchy wool dresses, and then pulled downwards. Their dresses fell to the floor. The audience murmured as they saw the remaining clothing on the slaves. Elegant, shiny straps of silk were pulled tautly across their breasts and hips, shining with interwoven strands of gold and silver, revealing the shapes of their breasts and barely concealing the nipples. Their feminine parts were barely concealed by near-translucent triangles of silk that stretched down to their knees, bound by gold thread about their waists. Eldara's face flushed despite herself.

Ramon looked up from the letter to look innocently at her. "I was curious if you could speak to the provenance of these clothes. You see, they seem to be embroidered by the peacock of Tudela. Turn around, my ladies."

The ladies spun slowly, showing the Tudela peacock embroidered on the triangular silk flap concealing their buttocks. The audience guffawed, with ladies whispering to each other and pointing at Eldara. Eldara's fist tightened. She had heard that her baggage train had been seized during the raid on the Palacio de Toro. Her lips trembled with fury as she watched the slaves displaying clothing that only she and one other person had known about.

Eldara took a deep breath and shrugged. "We at Tudela have a great number of imitators who seek to imitate our style. A poor counterfeit of our craftsmanship, unfortunately."

It was a pathetic lie, and Ramon knew it. The crowd chuckled. She was furious at the humiliation, but did her best to not let it show. Ramon gestured to the slaves to step aside.

"When I first wrote these words to the Lord Garces I was certain that he would cross out every other letter, or perhaps burn the letter in anger. Yet I see that he has signed the treaty with only one small amendment."

Ramon held up the letter to the crowd. "The Lord Garces acknowledges our independence from Tudela, in perpetuity!" he announced proudly. The crowd roared their approval. Ramon took the letter to the table, and with a golden quill, signed it, to the great joy of the rebel nobility. Eldara was relieved. She had been concerned that this would be a long, drawn-out deliberation, that the rebels would hem and haw and delay.

Ramon continued. "Contingent on this treaty will be the release of Prince Guillermo, no later than one day after the arrival of the treaty party." Eldara sighed in relief, despite herself. Ramon nodded to her. "This must be a great joy to you, my lady. Your husband is to be freed after so many months."

Eldara's mouth tightened. She would not give Ramon one ounce of the fear and sorrow she had felt from Guillermo's imprisonment. "I am glad that all of our business is concluded. I shall await Lord Guillermo across the river." She turned to leave.

"My lady, one moment." Ramon stopped her. "There was a clause in the treaty you must know about." He gestured for Eldara to join him. Some treaties were sealed by a mutual toast of wine; Eldara would oblige that much before departing. She joined Ramon on the dais.

"My lady, as you are aware, your family's financial position has become dire in the last few years. Much of your treasure was expended attempting to suppress our forces. This became a sticking point in our negotiations; I was insistent that the House of Tudela grant us financial reparations to assist us in rebuilding our homes. I feared that perhaps the negotiations would collapse, until Alfonso proposed a rather unconventional solution."

Ramon handed the scroll to Alfonso, who smirked at her as he began to read out with a clear voice. "The House of Tudela acknowledges the right of the Ebro Valley to pecuniary restitution. The Ebro Valley is satisfied and convinced that the House of Tudela does not have coin sufficient for this restitution. As a result, the House of Tudela grants the following: the Lady Eldara shall be given in service to Lord Ramon of the Ebro Valley for the period of one month."

Eldara's mouth dropped. The crowd roared and laughed.

"For the period of her service, the Lady Eldara shall not retain her royal privileges and protections. She shall serve loyally the Lord Ramon as a means to gain financial restitution over losses in the war. After the period of one month she shall be returned to the House of Tudela, of sound body. No restrictions are given on the service required of her. Failure to meet any of these obligations is a full suspension of this agreement and may mean a resumption of war."

The crowd continued applauding as Alfonso handed the treaty to the flushed figure of Lady Eldara. With a trembling hand she looked at the document. It was her father-in-law's handwriting; of that there was no doubt in her mind. Her eyes fixated on the sentence "no restrictions are given on the service required of her." She wanted to speak, to say something, but her voice felt as though it was caught in a trap. She scanned the room for exits.

"Are you considering escape, my lady?" Ramon asked gently. "Remember, the treaty says that we hold your husband until tomorrow. And his release is contingent on your compliance." Eldara's stomach lurched. He was right. Her mind was spinning. Why would her father-in-law do this? How could he do this to her?

Ramon looked at her piteously. "Eldara," he said gently. She grated, knowing that he deliberately omitted her royal title as was part of the signed agreement. "Your people must think me a cruel man. I want you to know that this is the furthest thing from the truth." He turned to the audience. "I say she deserves a fair chance at escape. What say all of you?"

The crowd roared their approval. Alfonso produced a small, thin sword in its scabbard and offered the hilt to Eldara. She looked at it suspiciously. Ramon looked at her with reassurance. "Remember, the treaty insisted that you be returned of sound body. You are at no risk of real harm, my lady."

Eldara pulled the sword out. She was not unfamiliar with swordplay. The feel of the sword gave her some courage, a tangible way to escape this trap. She watched curiously as Ramon drew a small parrying dagger, and a longer wooden sword. Alfonso gestured to the crowd. "My lords and ladies! Tonight's main event is now ready to begin. I ask you to place your wagers on who shall be victorious in this duel. Further wagers are available on how quickly the duel shall be completed!"

Eldara grimaced. This was how she was to begin raising funds for the Ebro Valley, she realized. She put it out of her mind. The only thing that mattered was defeating Ramon.

With a small roar she thrust forward. Ramon merely stepped aside, and her thrust was hopelessly wide. She thrust again, and again he stepped aside. The crowd chuckled and laughed. She now slashed downwards at Ramon. He almost contemptuously parried away her slash with his dagger, sending her stumbling backwards. She gritted her teeth and charged forward, her sword pointed towards his chest. At the last second he stepped aside. With his wooden sword he stabbed into her lower back.

The point, dull as it was, pressed deeply into her. Eldara yelped as she first felt pain, then a hot tightness spreading over the left side of her body. With alarm she realized that she had less mobility in her left leg; it was as though it was fifty pounds heavier. She kicked out her left leg to try and will it back to life, and then thrust at Ramon again. He batted her sword aside again. This time he stepped around her and thrust into her right shoulderblade. She nearly dropped her sword as her arm spasmed and tightened. Her right arm locked into place, bent at a right angle, still clutching her sword.

Ramon looked to her. "Translated texts from China were brought here, of particular interest. They describe certain points in the body; when pressure is applied to these points, it causes the surrounding muscles to behave in interesting ways. For example, the sensations that you are currently experiencing, Eldara."

Eldara gritted her teeth. The tightness and discomfort was immense in the affected parts of her body. But she could still move. She planted her good leg in the ground, providing enough leverage to launch herself forward at Ramon. He was nearly taken by surprise, the sword coming uncomfortable close to his chin. The crowd murmured as he pulled his head back, a grin on his face. He slapped her hamstring with his sword first, causing her to lose her balance. With his dagger he slashed upwards at the spare fabric on her dress. The dagger first hooked into her dress, leaving Eldara suspended. The dress then ripped loudly, sending Eldara sprawling.

The crowd guffawed as she hit the ground, her dress ripped from her right shoulder to her mid back. She fought back tears as she pushed herself up with her left hand. "My lady," Ramon said to her. "You should know that I respect you greatly. In fact, we all respect you greatly. When Alfonso came to my court he regaled us with tales of how the Lord Garces held you as one of his most trusted advisors when it came to war policy. How you drew up the campaign plans that led to the burning of Alfuera."

Eldara could not bear to hear this. With a grunt she leapt forward, her limbs askew, her face angry as she slashed the sword at Ramon. He held his wooden sword in front of him, danced to the side, and thrust forward. His sword pressed into her right armpit. The breath was sucked out of her almost instantly as tightness radiated across her chest; it felt as though her muscles were being sucked inwards. Her arm dropped limply and her sword clattered to the ground.

Ramon caught her other arm with his, stopping her from falling. She moaned, her breath coming in ragged. He pulled her to her feet. Her body fell like a figurine against his, her limbs locked into place.

"Eldara, you have received my mercy," he said. With one hand he pulled at her hair; the bindings that held them elegantly braided fell apart. Her hair fell down loosely, unkempt, wild. The audience murmured at the sight; seeing her hair undone was an intrusion entirely unlike seeing her defeated in a swordfight. "Do you understand the terms of your service, Eldara?"

Eldara gasped. The tightness across her body was immense and indescribable. "Please..."

"Are you ready to begin your service, Eldara? For the end of the war, for the freedom of your husband, for the safety of your people?"

Eldara shuddered. Her breath was sharp and pained. But Ramon could feel her nod slowly.

Ramon tossed his knife to one of the slaves. The slave deftly caught it, and began to slash at Eldara's clothes. One slash cut her dress under her breasts, another cut her left shoulder strap. Eldara's body was still tight against Ramon's, preventing her dress from falling off. Ramon smelled her hair, leaning into her. "Let's begin, Eldara." Ramon grasped her by the back of her neck and pushed forward slightly. Her shredded dress fell down to her breasts.

Alfonso piped up. "My lords and ladies, let's start bidding on Lady Eldara's lovely dress, kissed with the steel of the Ebro Valley. We will start the bidding at..."

Eldara's body relaxed as Ramon's hand massaged the back of her neck. She inhaled deeply, as though coming up for air from underwater, her breasts heaving. She began to understand how Ramon would profit off of her; every bit of her "service" was to be monetized. The bidding on her dress ended; the Ebro nobility paid more for it than its actual value, by her estimation.

Alfonso concluded the sale then moved on. "We will now decide what Lady Eldara is to wear for the rest of the evening!" The slaves stepped forward, dressed in Eldara's captured lingerie. "As we can see, Eldara has magnificent taste. This garb conceals modesty- see how the breasts are revealed but the nipples concealed!" The audience chuckled. "On the left we have a lovely item, with green and gold spider-web knitting prominently revealing the contours of the body. On the right, no less lovely, with leather straps encircling the thighs and arms. Which do we pick?"

zsazsa12
zsazsa12
74 Followers