The Switch Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The time, I'm confident, you will spend in prison should be used on getting yourself a trade and starting your new life. The life you had here is no longer existent, as I have called your employer and told them about your disgusting behavior. It's for your own good, and you will have to trust me on that. You are never allowed to step foot on this property again, and if you do so, I will have you arrested. I don't know what legal troubles await you here if you're ever foolish enough to come back, but the authorities have been made aware of what you have done, so be warned.

As I'm sure you know by now, both Annie's and your phones have been disconnected. The day you called her and upset her to the extent you did, I severed that tie by taking her phone, along with taking away this email she wrote down the second she finished writing it. I would wish you luck, but you don't deserve it! Debra."

"Is everything okay? You look like you've seen a ghost." Arthur asked. Arthur is my doctor's first name, something he insisted on me calling him.

"Umm, no," I said, handing him the phone to read the email he apparently never read.

What little hope I had left was wiped away with that email. Having left my phone in the hotel room, thinking that I wouldn't need it, I had no way of contacting Annie or anyone I knew.

"Alex, now is not the time to lose hope. I will do what is necessary to help you reconnect with your precious Annie. You must know I mean it."

"I'm chained to a god-damned hospital bed. I have no money, no ID, no passport, no nothing," I snapped as I let my emotions get the better of me.

"The lockdown is scheduled to end in two days. When this happens, I have asked a dear friend of mine to help you, and he has agreed."

I sat there trying to control the rage that was consuming me, but it wouldn't come until the morning.

"You're free to go," the angry officer muttered as he uncuffed me and walked out.

"The lockdown has been extended, and the department has been forced to release you due to a shortage in manpower," Arthur said. I could tell that he was pleased with how things had turned out.

"I need some clothes so I can get the hell out of here and get to the embassy."

"I will find you some clothes, but you will not be able to go there. Everything is closed down, and if you're caught out on the streets, you will be arrested. Please don't go. If you leave and that happens, I will not be able to help you," he tried to reason with me.

I knew the problem was serious, but I didn't realize how terrible things had gotten. I wasn't able to watch television, read, listen to the radio or anything for that matter. My hospital room was my jail cell, and only my doctor or his nurse was allowed to enter, and they were rarely able to talk about anything other than my treatment. The officers had made it their mission to make my stay there a living hell.

"Is there a computer I can use?" It was the only hope I had of finding Annie.

We weren't big on social media, but we had both made a Facebook account. I couldn't recall ever using it, but I had to try.

"I don't have a way here for you to do that, but in two days, I will be going home. If you would like, you can come with me. I have a flat above my woodshop that has everything you'll need until the lockdown is lifted and the embassy opens again," his eagerness to help was refreshing.

I agreed and waited anxiously as the first few hours passed. The fear of the police coming back and arresting me was overwhelming, and I had Arthur release me from the hospital. Not being admitted left me without a room, but a custodial closet on the eighth floor had a cot, a small sink, and a toilet-- everything I required. Arthur came by my first night with a styrofoam container filled with different items for me to eat. I was still amazed by the food the hospital served. I've been to nice restaurants where the food wasn't as tasty.

I was still pissed that I hadn't taken my phone with me, but even if I had, it would've magically disappeared just as my wallet did. My hatred toward the Paris authorities was beginning to consume me, and without Arthur's constant reassurance, my destructive thinking would've prevailed.

With Arthur's shift complete at the hospital, I helped him gather his belongings and load them into the car. It wasn't until we pulled out of the underground parking garage that I realized the pandemic's severity. The once-bustling city with people swarming everywhere was now a ghost town. The only thing that remained was the trash that was still blowing around. It reminded me of the series, 'Life After People.'

"How much farther?" I asked, noticing that now only trees lined the road instead of deserted buildings.

"With the roads being empty, it shouldn't take any longer than two and a half hours."

"Holy shit. Where do you live?" I began to question my decision to get in a car with a strange man. As far as I knew, the only person that cared if I was alive, or where I was, was Annie, and I was speeding away from the last known location she had for me.

"I live in the small town of Étretat, about thirty-eight kilometers north of Le Havre," Arthur spoke as if I knew where we were going.

It was too late to turn back, and even if I wanted to, where would I go? I could only hope that I wasn't in the car with an inspiring Hannibal Lector wanna-be. I smiled at the thought and settled in for the long, painful ride ahead. The anxiety, nervousness, fear, and the small doses of pain medication kept my mind elsewhere the last couple of days, but the stiff ride of the high-end sports car reminded me that the pain I had would be with me for some time.

Even in the extreme darkness of the night, the outline of the home was larger than I expected. The cool crisp air offered a hint of its location. It wasn't the smell that gave me the sense of being home, it was the taste of the salt as it was carried in on the ocean's breeze. Unexpected memories of Annie and me sitting side by side in our first year of college, watching the waves erode the Florida beach line flooded my thoughts. Even with college bearing down on my shoulders, it reminded me of a simpler time.

When Arthur offered the room above his woodshop, I was expecting a bed in the corner, maybe a table with a couple of chairs, and hopefully a bathroom. To my surprise, it was quite the opposite; it was an entire apartment, and he was correct, it had everything I would need and then some.

"I hope you will find the space comfortable and to your liking," Arthur said, looking for my approval.

"It's outstanding, and if you ever hear me complain, please kick me out," I grinned.

"I had Belle stop by the local market and grab the few things that you were keen on in the hospital. If there's anything you require before the morning, press this button here, and it will ring the house. The computer is in the room just behind you, and the password is bellemylove, all in lowercase. Please make yourself at home, and I will call you in the morning."

"Thank you, Arthur. You really saved my life."

"You're welcome. Sleep well," he replied and made his way back down the stairs.

Sleep was the last thing on my mind, even though I badly needed it. Over the previous forty-eight hours, I had only managed to get six hours total. Delirious or not, I would at least try to locate her Facebook to see if she had been active or not. Turning on the computer and entering the password was an easy process, I thought to myself, but trying to remember my password was turning out to be a never-ending loop of disappointment. I couldn't verify my identity with my telephone number without my cellphone, and the email option wanted the same verification.

"Fuck!" I yelled out, having locked myself out after multiple failed attempts to recover my password. My frustrations only accelerated my body's fatigue, and I was forced to accept that I wouldn't find Annie tonight and that tomorrow would be a new day.

"Alex, I have gathered a few items and placed them in the basket to your right. It's just the necessities, but we will ensure you're properly stocked once you're settled. Sleep well. Belle."

If these were the necessities a man needed, how did I ever get by? A toothbrush, toothpaste, bar of soap, and deodorant would have been sufficient, but those things were only the top of the neatly stacked pile. Each item I pulled out made me feel worse, almost guilty that she had put so much time and effort into a basket that I could leave behind in just a few short days.

Too tired to shave or trim my newly acquired facial hair, I grabbed the body wash, loofah, and shampoo and showered as quickly as possible without causing too much pain. The hardest part was trying to dry myself off, but I had completed the task after five painful minutes and made the short walk to the bedroom.

On the verge of collapse from pure exhaustion, I hadn't noticed the vast windows on the opposing wall when I entered the room. The morning light showed why the room was constructed the way it was. Smaller shrubs and greenery shielded prying eyes from the yard, but the view was picturesque from the second story. The massive, sheer white cliffs gave the illusion that this was where the earth ended.

"Hello?" I answered, grabbing the pearl handle from the rotary base.

"Bonjour, Alex. Breakfast will be ready in ten minutes if you wish to join us," Belle spoke in a thick Parisian accent, but her English was flawless.

"I would love to," I responded.

"Fantastique, bye for now," she said and ended the call.

After brushing my teeth, I surfed the web and jotted down my bank's number and my phone manufacturer's number before making my way down the stairs. If I could get a replacement bank card and my contacts list, the current nightmare I was living could be just a shitty dream and nothing more.

"Alex, how did you sleep?" Arthur's face brightened as he greeted me. "Please come and meet my Belle."

He seemed so much younger now, standing in front of me without the white doctor's coat and his current style of clothes. Arthur's calm and reserved demeanor had suddenly vanished. He was cheerful, and his bare feet slapped against the hardwood floor as he bounded across it.

"Alex!" Belle exclaimed. "It's so wonderful to meet you, finally," she rushed over to me and wrapped her arms around me in a tight embrace.

I managed to keep my composure and not show my usual awkwardness when a random person felt the need to hug me, even though most of the people who did such things were my male drunken college friends.

"Yes, it is," I kept their same enthusiasm, not wanting them to change how they acted while I was around.

"Please come and eat before it turns cold," Belle ushered me to my chair. I almost forgot the pain that followed my every move until I flopped down in the chair, and it reminded me I still needed to tread lightly.

The last couple of stressful days had left me hungry and tired, so the idea of a good breakfast, after getting plenty of rest, was what I needed to recharge and refocus my efforts to find Annie. I spoke very little while I scarfed down the rather large cheese omelet while they only drank a small cup of coffee and ate a single piece of toast. I would later discover that my cheese omelet wasn't a breakfast item at all in France and was more likely to be served for dinner rather than breakfast. It was a minor detail in the grand scheme of things that I would learn. Having enjoyed my breakfast, I told them what I would like to accomplish before the weekend and then excused myself after thanking them for breakfast.

With hold times ranging from an hour to two hours, even if I had the money, I wouldn't be able to afford to wait that long. I would have to resort to emailing back and forth in hopes that someone would help me. After setting up a new email, I sent emails explaining my current situation to both my bank and my phone provider and begged for someone to help me. Knowing it was probably a lost cause, I also sent Annie an email as well, fully expecting to get an immediate response from our mother telling me to go to hell or something worse. It was a long shot knowing that Mom had Annie's phone, but I had to try.

*

I spent most of my days helping Arthur and Belle in the garden and learning the language. The more I learned, the less English was spoken. It was a process, but I was picking it up rather quickly. I also found that learning to be a woodworker was more challenging than I thought, but Arthur was committed to teaching me. While I enjoyed learning both French and woodworking, crafting something from what was a pile of logs gave me such joy. The nights I couldn't sleep, I would find myself in the shop chiseling dovetails in the pieces of wood I cut for the jewelry box I would give Annie when I saw her again. The process was very tedious and time-consuming, but it's what I needed to calm my mind.

Checking my email was something I did several times a day, but as the weeks wore on, I found myself only doing it once a day.

"Sorry for the delay and the not-so-pleasant news, but without talking to you on the phone and verifying your identity, we won't be able to assist you."

The few days I thought it would take to get a response ended up being several weeks. I had now been living with Arthur and Belle for two months. Some places were opening back up under stringent guidelines, but California held its ground and kept everyone locked down.

"Shit!" I cursed out loud, reading the email, and clicked the arrow to read the following disappointing email that was undoubtedly from my previous cell phone provider.

"Alex, I'm sorry it has taken me a couple of days to respond. I just saw your email, and I'm glad you're doing well. Since I started working from home, I have made an effort to separate my work from home, and I don't even get on the computer over the weekend.

Since that night in Paris, many things have transpired, and I wish I had better news. As of last night, your Mother and I have decided to separate, and I will be moving out once the stay-at-home orders have been lifted. Annie and I have tried everything in our power to help your mother understand, but she won't budge, and I refuse to remove you from my life. I have told you both that I disagree with what you two are doing, and I still do, but that doesn't change the fact I love you dearly and that I'm your father. Please don't think this is your fault. It has been coming for some time. I thought the fight between Annie and Mom had changed her, but it was only a band-aid. You two were the glue that held us together, and now that you're both gone, it's time for both of us to move forward in our lives and be happy.

I don't know your plans and what things you have accomplished, but if you still need your wallet and passport, I would be happy to send them. Your mother removed both of your cell phone numbers from her plan, and I'm sure you have replaced it by now, but I will toss your phone in the box along with anything else that you may need or want. Just let me know your current address and the things you want. With everything the way it is right now, I don't know how long it will take to get to you, so hopefully, you're at a place that will hold your mail until you're able to return for it.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I love and miss you very much! Love Dad.

P.S. Please don't tell Annie about your Mother and me. I would like to tell her myself, but I haven't had a chance to talk to her since she went to stay with aunt Martha."

"Dad, I'm sorry for the pain that I have caused you, but I'm safe and doing well in France. Love Alex," were the only words I typed. Not having my phone's contacts list had made everything difficult. I had sent multiple detailed emails to my Dad over the previous month, but until yesterday when I received the reply stating that I had the wrong email, I figured Mom had turned Dad against me. Forgetting the tiny dot between my father's first and last name in his email had turned out to be a huge mistake, but I didn't care anymore now that I knew where Annie was staying.

Aunt Martha's was a place I dreaded to go to as a young kid, but I couldn't wait to get there the older I got. Her 'no electronics' rule, including phones, was something she stuck to throughout the years. Even the adults had to abide by the policy if they decided to make the trip. Her mission was to create lasting memories for us kids to share with our friends and future kids. Her plan worked; Annie and I both had told Dylan and Dani about the adventures we had running through the forest in northern California, but those memories were haunting me now, as I knew there was no way of contacting Annie there.

"Alex, tu es prêt??" Arthur asked from the bottom of the stairs.

"Oui, sois là," I responded after checking the current time. I knew I had time before Dad would read my reply, being three o'clock in the morning on the West Coast. The excitement was too much to contain, and I rambled out everything in English the moment I saw Arthur and Belle.

"That's wonderful news, Alex," Arthur shared my joy, followed by Belle.

They were both genuinely happy for me, but I could tell my imminent departure weighed on them throughout brunch. I even began to question whether I should leave or not. Their perspective on life was refreshing, and the simplistic way of living it had certainly captivated me. I despised the place initially, and if I had been forced to leave as my family had been, I would've never come back as long as I lived. Even though Paris and Étretat were two radically different places, trying to get Annie to move here would be damn near impossible.

"When will you plan your exit?" Arthur asked as we walked along the trail back home.

"I don't know if...." I paused.

"Alex, I think I speak for both of us when I say you have been a wonderful delight in our lives, and our wish would be that you never had to leave. We understand that your precious Annie needs you, and you must find her, but if your need to come back is something you desire, please know that you're both always welcome to come back and stay for as long as you both wish," Arthur stopped to say his peace and waited for my response.

"Merci," I smiled, feeling relieved that I had a choice. I knew I was being unrealistic. Arthur would eventually tire of supporting me after what little money had run out, but the emotions of leaving my new friends and the quaint, quirky town weighed on me.

"Dad, I have not been able to obtain any of the documents you hold in your possession, nor have I been able to reach anyone. I have been worried sick, and I have so many questions. Please call me at +33 2 9 55 22 11 11, ASAP. Love, Alex."

I found myself too anxious to sit still or work in the shop. I didn't dare take the chance of wasting the countless hours I had spent handcrafting the gift for Annie. Instead, I circled the living area waiting for my father to call.

"Bonjour," I answered just after my four hundred and fifty-sixth lap around the coffee table.

"Alex?" Dad questioned.

"Yes, Dad, it's me."

"So you can speak French now?" Dad chuckled.

"Juste un peu. That means just a little. Arthur and Belle have been teaching me while we work in the garden," I had so many questions to ask him, but just hearing his voice put me at ease.

"That's so neat. I bet Annie laughs at you. How is she doing, by the way? Since the night after you called, she hasn't talked to me. I dropped her off at Aunt Martha's, and that was it. She was pretty upset with your Mom and with me for not kicking your mother out on the spot for disowning you."

"Dad, I haven't talked to her since the night I was arrested. I haven't spoken to anyone. I couldn't remember a single number other than Annie's. The only reason I'm talking to you now is the man I have been sending emails to finally replied, saying I had the wrong email. I forgot the dot between your first and last name," I raced to get the words out.