The Tattooed Woman Pt. 06

Story Info
Stories, fire and bloody battle as the Dark Elves are caught.
13.4k words
4.91
11.6k
12

Part 6 of the 43 part series

Updated 04/07/2024
Created 11/03/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gortmundy
Gortmundy
747 Followers

THE TATTOOED WOMAN - Cast

I hope folks are enjoying the story so far. Please leave comments, as criticism both positive and constructive is inherently useful. Plus, I like reading comments, so that's cool.

Chapter 6: She is mine!

Cassie sat near the fire and ate her stew. As she did so she would occasionally glance across at the strange woman sitting next to her. The little slave girl's threadbare clothing was still drying on the bushes nearby and the woman had draped her cloak around her while she herself simply sat there nude, still seemingly untroubled by the weather, or the looks cast her way by a few of the other slaves.

She had eaten her own supper and now seemed content to stare into the fire. Cassie saw the flames reflecting not only in those unblinking green eyes, but also illuminating the scales of the strange serpentine tattoos that coiled about her body, and she felt herself shiver. The woman glanced at her, and the spell was broken, "Are you cold, girl?"

"No ma'am, but surely you must be, I can share the cloak."

The woman gave her a small smile, "No need, I'm warm enough."

Cassie watched the flames herself for a while as her thoughts whirled in her head until eventually, she found the courage to speak, "Their Captain said that you were my sister now, what does that mean?"

The woman grinned, "She's cunning, that one, she thinks that by putting you in my care she can hold your safety over me, that I'll behave to protect you."

The little slave swallowed, "Will you?"

"Behave?"

"Protect me?"

"Ah."

The woman was silent for a while before drawing a breath and releasing what sounded like a sigh of regret, "I'm a poor choice for protector girl, for I am not lucky. Sometimes I think misfortune follows me as though I'm bound to it, and ever have I tended to inflict more harm than good. Like as not you'd be better served with Maggie the cook, she's the sort of hale and hearty creature who'd be good both to you and for you," she looked up into the eyes of the young slave and gave her a sad smile, "but still, you've been kind to me Cassie, and I pay my debts. I'll not let harm come to you if it's in my power to prevent it."

"How is it you speak the languages of Elves and Orcs, that seems a strange thing?"

"My mother taught me."

Cassie stirred the fire with a stick, "I never knew my mother."

The older woman looked up at the stars overhead, "Mine was tall, raven-haired, both cold and passionate, and some say she was fair to look upon, but in truth, I don't think I knew her any better than you did yours. She was stubborn though, we both were, and we quarrelled often."

"But she loved you surely?"

"We loved each other after a fashion Cassie."

"Then you're lucky enough, luckier than me at least."

"Perhaps."

In the distance a wolf howled, it was a mournful cry and Cassie shivered.

"What do you think will happen when we reach their lands?"

"They will sell us and put us to work."

"Will they hurt us?"

"No."

"But, how can you be sure?"

"I don't think I'll let them."

Cassie looked across at the woman. The statement seemed either strangely bizarre or simply one of sheer bravado coming as it did from a manacled slave, but the woman said it so casually that the little slave found herself almost wondering.

As if sensing her confusion, the woman looked up at her from the fire and winked.

...

Nyx swore like the trooper she was, muttering a long sulphurous tirade of curses as she considered the tortuous, never to be sufficiently damned, snail's pace they were making on their way back to the trail, and their main camp.

She and her party led a cluster of more than a dozen mixed-blood children through the dense woods. Some were little more than toddlers and even with the two novice nuns chivvying them along and doing their best to keep the little bastards together and moving, their pace was horrendously slow. The weather had taken a turn for the worse with a miserable cold drizzle that soaked everything it touched within minutes, and already a couple of the young ones were sneezing.

Ashunara had dispatched Azure to scout out the best trail and to locate a good campsite and she herself struggled along carrying a toddler on her shoulders.

At her command, Orc warriors had bundled the slowest of the youngsters upon their backs and they moved through the trees seemingly untroubled by the added encumbrance. Tallis still nursed a broken arm and even though Lashelle was much improved by her night of rest she was still limping and had developed a wheezing cough the Sergeant didn't like the sound of.

She moved across to her commander who acknowledged her approach with a nod and a wry grin, "Our pace troubles you Sergeant?"

Nyx sniffed, the Captain had a spectacular black eye, and bruising that covered half her face yet she still had time and energy to give the older woman a wry smile so she bit her tongue, "We'll get there Captain, might take an extra couple of days, but so be it. I'm a wee bit worried about Lashelle though, I wonder if she's a broken rib that maybe nicked a lung or somesuch for I don't like the sound of her cough and she looks a touch fevered."

"Any healing draught left?"

"A couple of swallows at most."

"Give it to her and watch her drink it! You know how fucking stubborn she is."

The Sergeant nodded, "Looks like you could use a sip yourself, that bruising on your face looks awful."

"Why Sergeant, are you worried about my good looks?"

"Fuck no. I just don't want your ugly mug scaring the children."

Ashunara laughed, "I'll risk it. Go see to Lashelle if you please."

"Aye Captain."

That night they camped in a small cave set back from the trail. It wasn't large and they were a mite crowded, but at least it kept the rain off them. The firewood was soaked, and the cave was bitterly cold. The two young nuns had worried the sodden wood would never light found themselves staring open-mouthed as Azure muttered a simple cantrip that ignited the branches in less than a heartbeat. The scout looked up at them both with a sly grin as Tallis eased Lashelle down near the flames and muttered, "Show off."

The Captain offered to cook and tried not to look hurt when the others groaned in protest. Nyx turned to the nuns, "She might just make a half-decent Captain one day, maybe. But don't let her near the rations, she could turn prime rib into a dog's dinner."

Azure muttered, "Ate dog once, it's better than the Captain's cooking."

Hildegard still stared at the flames of the campfire, "Do all Drow know magic?"

The cave stilled as the Dark Elves slowly turned to stare at her. The young nun's eyes widened with fear, and she swallowed nervously as she took in the look in those dark eyes. Nyx muttered a word in the black speech and spat into the fire.

The Captain sighed and rested a hand gently on the Sergeant's shoulder as she moved to crouch nimbly by the frightened woman, "We are not Drow, human. If we were you, and all these children would be long dead, though only after much torment. The Drow are distant kin at best, they dwell in dark places deep beneath the earth and only come to the surface to raid and kill, or when called by some great evil. We, my sisters and I, are Dark Elves, we are cousins if you will to the Sunkissed ones you might call Ljósálfar, or Light Elves. But the Drow are something else entirely, they are cousins to demons. They might look a little like us on the surface, with silver hair and features much like ours, but their skin is as black as pitch."

Nyx spoke, and her voice was bitter, "But not so black as their fucking hearts!"

Ashunara nodded and turned back to the nun, "My kind are capricious and willful to be sure, but they are utterly evil young one, and we have fought their kind for centuries beyond counting. Many of us have lost kin and loved ones to their blades, and their sorcery," she raised a hand to gently stroke the nun's cheek, "so, you might do well to mind what you say perhaps."

Hildegard trembled at the touch, "I-I'm sorry Captain. I did not know," she looked at the Sergeant who still glowered into the flames of the campfire, "I apologise for my words, Sergeant Nyx, you have saved us from a terrible fate, and I've repaid you with insult, and I have only ignorance as excuse. I-I beg your forgiveness."

Nyx stared at the fire for a few moments longer before sighing with resignation and looking up, bleak expression seemingly dismissed by a dour smile, "What's the world coming to Captain when a fucking nun begs a black-hearted Dark Elf slaver like me for forgiveness eh?"

"She's probably drunk Nyx, I hear these religious types drink like fish. What say we sell her to a rowdy tavern as a barmaid or doxy after all?"

Hildegard gasped at the offhand remark.

Nyx sniffed, "As long as it's the 'Raven's Nest', I think even a drunken nun can get laid there?"

"You're just saying that because you drink there Nyx."

"I admit nothing Captain."

Lashelle piped in, "You never do."

Roseanne raised her hand to speak, which elicited chuckles and smiles from the Dark Elves, and Captain Ashunara grinned as she nodded for the plump little novice to say her piece.

"Er Captain if it pleases you, I can cook."

"Have at it then girl. Let's see what you can do."

The little nun busied herself and soon enough she produced a pot of fried potatoes mixed with cheese and the leftover bits of cooked goatmeat. She had thought it basic fare at best given the ingredients at hand, and she stared bemused as the Dark Elves hooted with joy and almost fought for seconds.

Azure deftly dipped a wooden spoon into the pot to scoop up the remains and grinned at the woman's expression, "Fried potatoes girl, we have a taste for them and can hardly help ourselves," she grinned at the nun, "looks like you have discovered our dread secret, and now I must kill you, but I think I'll just finish this plateful first if you don't mind."

Nyx stared from the cavemouth out into the darkness and the storm outside, but her keen ears still heard the approach of the human girl, and she turned her head slightly as Hildegard moved close holding a mug of hot tea towards her. She took it without comment and returned to her silent contemplation of the wind and rain.

The human didn't move away, but fiddled with the leather collar she wore as she spoke in a quiet voice, "Sergeant Nyx?"

"Hmm?"

"I'm sorry for what I said."

The Dark Elf turned to the woman, "You were not to know girl. The Drow are not something we speak of. Some deny it but we know that in truth they are our kin, and I think perchance we are ashamed. Do not let it trouble you."

"H-have you fought them?"

"Oh yes."

"I'm sorry."

Nyx stared out into the darkness as she sipped her tea, "Best go back to the fire lass, it's cold here."

...

Lily moved through the woods muttering to herself. It had been a moment's effort to pick the locks and slip the manacles from her wrists. With most of the Dark Elves away it had been simple enough to spirit herself from the encampment without alerting the Orc sentries.

The ever-wary scout was absent, and it would be a day at least before she was like to return so there could be no better opportunity to make good her escape. But instead of being off and away, she found herself wandering through these miserable woods biting her nails, muttering and damning herself for a fool for worrying about some silver-haired strumpet who'd done nothing more than favour her with a kindly word. She looked off to the hills in the far distance knowing she could be away and gone long before anyone had any chance of catching her, and yet she hesitated, looking back towards the trees, and the darkness beyond. She turned to leave, took a step, and halted, muttering a furious curse before drawing and releasing a deep shuddering breath.

She would go and look, just a peek perhaps, to make sure the girl was well, and then, then she would be off, for sure...

Dark Elves were stealthy and quick, but no less so were the Sunkissed, and she slipped through the night like a wraith, and had any of the wary forest creatures been watching they may just have glimpsed a slight glimmer among the trees, but nothing more than that, and they would have heard naught as she passed them by.

She travelled swiftly for half a night and more before up ahead she chanced to see the flickering of firelight. Moving closer she pushed her golden hair back from her eyes and crouched, as still and silent as a fox as her keen eyes picked out the figures moving about the shallow cave. She could see stalwart Nyx, standing watch and sipping from a steaming mug, and a tall human woman nearby. Flickering shadows spoke of others moving about the cave but her vantage point did not allow her a glimpse of the woman she was look....

Lily sighed, "You're behind me, aren't you?"

Azure slid from the shadows and the Sunkissed could almost hear the wicked humour in her voice, "She's fine you know."

The Sunkissed girl slumped against a tree, "I should have known better."

The Dark Elf moved alongside her, glittering blade in hand, "Yes."

Lily sighed, "What now?"

Azure stared at her for the longest time before she eventually shook her head with a small smile, slid her sword back into its scabbard, and turned to go, "I've finished my patrol. I didn't find anything out to hurt us so I'm going back to the fire. Do as you will."

A moment later and Lily was alone in the dark. She stared towards the firelight for an age before turning to leave, "I'm such an idiot..."

It was a long way back to camp, she would have to hurry, and she had a lot to think about.

The sunlight was just beginning to glitter across the very tops of the snow-capped mountain peaks when Lily slipped past the sentries and back into her bedroll. As she did so the tips of her delicately pointed ears twitched and she found herself peering across the dying embers of the campfire, directly into the green eyes of the human woman with the strange tattoos. She sat staring directly at her, gently stroking the hair of the little slave, Cassie who lay asleep with her head resting on the woman's lap.

Lily froze, but the woman simply smiled and held a finger up to her lips before looking away towards the mountains.

...

Two more days passed and Elsadore had begun to seriously worry when an Orc sentry posted to watch the surround gave a low growl and pointed, and the Dark Elf let slip a sigh of relief as Ashunara and her party finally emerged from the trees and limped back into camp. The veteran found herself looking on in amazement at the small horde of tiny figures that followed her Captain, but she frowned seeing that most of her company sported injuries and wounds of varying severity and showed signs of some sore conflict. Lashelle was limping and Tallis looked to have a badly hurt arm, while the Captain herself looked like her face was a swollen mass of lurid bruising. Some of the Orcs appeared thoroughly battered, but still, they all yet lived at least, and that was good.

Along with Varoona she moved to clasp hands and exchange smiles and warm words of greeting with their companions.

"Well met Captain! It's good to have you back. From your aspect it looks like you've met a few troubles on the way though, yes?"

Elsadore almost winced at the lurid bruising as Ashunara grinned, "Aye, it's been a bit of a journey. We encountered a fel creature and it damned near killed us, but in the end, we gutted the bastard. And see! We have returned with new... friends."

"Friends, is it? And what of those two? The ones in the collars, are they friends?"

"Oh, I'm sure they're friendly enough. We have an understanding of sorts you see; they have offered to enter our service in exchange for protection and safe conduct for themselves and the children, and I have agreed to their terms. Now tell me Elsadore, what news in the camp?"

"Thankfully not much Captain, Varoona is much improved, though still a wee bit sore methinks, but she hides it and moves well enough. The strange one seems to have woken from her reverie and it appears she speaks the languages of Elf and Orc equally well, which took me a little by surprise, but she has caused no problems while you were away, and she seems to dote on Cassie so that is well. We remain adequately provisioned, though with all these extra mouths I'm not sure how long that will last, but for the moment at least we are well enough supplied. Our camp is concealed, and no enemies have encroached, but I sense there is pursuit hot on our heels, and with our delay here it may be that at least some of those who chase us have passed us by and are now between us and home."

Ashunara nodded, "Aye, t'is a concern. We needs must be cautious then lest we walk into ambush," she sighed, "I tell you Elsadore, not too soon for me to see the stars of home."

The younger Dark Elf grinned and gripped her arm, "We'll get there Captain, now come! Rest and fill your bellies with hot food. We still have some healing draught at hand in the camp. Let's see to your hurts and get you all back on your feet, for you look fit to drop" she paused at the sound of bleating, "er, why did you steal a herd of goats?"

"Hmm? Isn't the collective term for goats a 'flock'? Either way, we have children with us now, and they may provide milk and fresh meat et cetera. Have a slave look after them, there's bound to be at least one among such earthy stock with the necessary skill, mayhap have the children help, it might keep the little cherubs from mischief."

Elsadore shook her head in bemusement, "Er, fair enough then, I'll see to it."

Hildegard and Roseanne had been both worried and relieved at the prospect of reaching the slaver encampment. The young ones were obviously exhausted and they themselves were tired from walking long miles, but they were even more frightened as they wondered upon the unknown reactions of the other slaves, fellow humans who she knew might look upon the mixed-blood children with disdain.

They ushered their charges towards a nook at the side of the camp, as close to the fire as possible while still maintaining a wary space between them and the other manacled slaves. Hildegard could see most, if not all, were looking at the small urchins with a mix of disgust and curiosity, while a few showed at least some sympathy at their bedraggled state, and she busiest herself as she fretted. She was startled from her nervous reverie, and the low murmurs of the coffle were dismissed by a loud cry as Maggie the cook surged forward, looking for all the world like an anxious hippopotamus, casually shoving anyone in the way aside as she barged towards Hildegard's small charges.

"Oh, dear Gods! Look at the poor wee half-starved souls! Cassie! Cassie! Where are you lass? Come help me get bowls for these poor things."

One man, a wool merchant by the look of him spat into the fire and muttered, "Filthy get, why waste good foo...urk."

His words faltered and his eyes bulged as long tattooed fingers closed around his throat. He grasped and pulled at the woman's hand, for all the good it did, and the iron-hard fingers contracted, cutting off his breath completely as she turned his head to face her. The green eyes he looked into stared back at him with a look of utter indifference to his discomfort and her voice was but a mild whisper, "Hush now, you'll scare the children, and we wouldn't want that would we?"

The wool merchant shook his head furiously, his fatty jowls turning red as he tried desperately to breathe. The woman stared at him a moment longer before releasing her grip and he collapsed in a choking heap, desperately gasping for air as she turned away, having seemingly lost interest in him.

Gortmundy
Gortmundy
747 Followers