The Tattooed Woman Pt. 09

Story Info
Negotiations and the value of mutual respect.
10.7k words
4.88
9k
10

Part 9 of the 43 part series

Updated 04/07/2024
Created 11/03/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gortmundy
Gortmundy
759 Followers

THE TATTOOED WOMAN - Chapter 9

I hope folks are enjoying the story so far. Please leave comments, as criticism both positive and constructive is inherently useful. Plus, I like reading comments, so that's cool.

Chapter 9: A Lesson in Respect

Lashelle was standing sentry as dusk closed in around the encampment. The sun slowly slipped behind the mountains, and shadows were lengthening as the evening grew more chill. The Dark Elf's inhumanly keen eyes easily pierced the gloom though as she peered about, and she was nigh invisible in her hiding place under the trees, yet she still all but shrieked at the unexpected touch of a cold hand that reached out from the shadows. Azure chuckled from behind her, and Lashelle felt the woman's warm breath on the back of her neck as she whispered, "Got you again."

Lashelle spun round with an expression of mock indignation on her face, "Dear Gods! You have got to stop doing that! You damned near gave me a heart attack, you sneaky bint."

Azure smiled brightly as she wrapped her arms around the woman and drew her in for a gentle kiss, "Yes, I probably should, but it's so much fun that I almost certainly won't."

Her fingers toyed with the lacings of Lashelle's armour and she pouted, "Damn this mail, if you weren't wearing it I could have slid my cold hands under your shirt, and stroked something a little more interesting than just your neck."

Lashelle laughed, "Then I definitely would have had a damned heart attack you wicked trollop. Keep those icy hands to yourself and save your playfulness for when it's warmer."

"Perhaps later, by the campfire?"

Lashelle sniffed delicately and looked away with a coy smile, "I'll think on it. But for now, should you not be making a report to the Captain? If she knew you were dallying with me instead of seeing to her, she would have you digging latrines."

Azure gave the girl a wicked smile, "Mmm... I've often thought about seeing to the Captain you know."

"Ha! If you think to make me jealous with your daydream then dream on, for the Captain does not dally with those under her command, as we both well know, for I don't doubt we've both tried our hand at tempting her at some point."

Azure gave a theatrically mournful sigh, "True, t'is a pity though for she flirts so prettily. Still, you're right, I needs must make my report to her," she gazed off into the trees and then up at the moon before looking back at Lashelle, "be wary tonight Lashelle, there may be less cordial creatures than I creeping about in the dark after all. I'll look for you by the fire later when your watch is done."

"We shall see."

With a last smile, she was gone, and Lashell turned back to her vigil with a sigh.

...

Ashunara entered the tent without warning and nearly failed to suppress a wicked chuckle as Tallis and the Sunkissed girl fairly leapt apart. Both looked more than just a little flushed and the young Dark Elf's hair was like an unkempt silver waterfall as it hung about her shoulders. Tallis still wore her mail, but the lacings were mostly undone, while the Sunkissed Elf wore... less.

Tallis sputtered, "Captain! Er, we were..."

Ashunara interrupted her with a grin, "Never mind that Tallis, I know exactly what you were doing. Now seeing you're all well again, and if you don't object, I'm reclaiming my tent, and my bed, assuming you two haven't wrecked the damned thing with your frolicking."

Lily had to look away but still failed to suppress a musical-sounding giggle at Tallis's mortified expression.

The Captain nodded back towards the tent flap, "Off with you both. And Tallis?"

"Yes, Captain?"

Ashunara pointed at the discarded leggings lying on her small chart table, "You might want to take those with you, it gets chilly out there you know, and we wouldn't want Lily catching cold now would we," she gave the young Dark Elf a thoroughly wicked smile, "after all, it might reduce her sale-price if she's ill."

Azure approached the tent as Tallis and Lily left, giggling like naughty children who'd been caught at mischief. Given their somewhat dishevelled appearance and the Sunkissed girl's apparent inability to dress herself, that might be closer to the truth than not thought the scout and she shook her head in wry, if slightly envious, amusement as she watched them go.

The Captain was sitting on her cot struggling to pull off her boots as Azure ducked into the tent. She looked up with a grin, "Well met, scout, what news do you bring me? There's a flask over yonder, have a swig and tell all."

Azure nodded her thanks and took a swallow from the offered flask. She licked her lips and looked thoughtful for a moment, "Metheglin?"

"Ah, the woman knows her human libations. It's tolerable."

The scout moved closer and reached out, "Here, let me help."

Ashunara stretched out a leg and gratefully let the scout pull off her boots, "Thanks, I swear, I think my feet must be getting bigger."

Azure grinned, "I heard yon blacksmith was quite taken with your dainty feet Captain."

The Captain chuckled at the memory, "Oh, he was quite taken with a lot of things. Now, give me your report afore we become overly distracted."

The scout sighed, "Right, so I came within sight of the shrine, and as I think you surmised it's occupied. I saw a tent, not unlike this one, and perhaps a score of men, all well-armed and armoured."

"Humans?"

"For the most part, I think yes."

"Slavers?"

"Aye, for I saw they had several prisoners, perhaps a half-dozen or so."

Ashunara nodded thoughtfully, "Hmm, tell me of them, the slavers first, then their captives."

"They look to be an experienced lot, wearing decent mail, their weapons are mixed, mostly arming swords and the like, a few have crossbows and I saw one lad with a fairly hefty-looking warbow."

"Any devices, or identifying banners or sigils?"

"No banners, but one lad was on sentry duty, his shield bore a fox-head device as an emblem. Also, from the movement about the encampment I saw a fellow with red hair and a beard, he looked to be in charge or at least a Sergeant."

"Hmm, did you see a tall woman perchance, with flax-coloured hair?"

"I did spy a woman like that, she was seated at the fire. She wore mail like the others and a good quality cloak of fur, her hair was long but shaved at the sides, and she had a tattoo on the side of her neck, though I was too distant to make out what it was. She had a spear at her side, do you know her?"

"Aye, we've met. Anything else?"

Azure looked troubled, "Well, they have a couple of scouts out and about. They both have a fair amount of skill, for I only glimpsed them."

"Human?"

The scout considered, "I don't think so. Well, not fully anyway, perhaps Half-Elven or somesuch. They certainly moved like creatures that were at least acquainted with the Fae."

"Did they see you do you think?"

"Captain, please."

Ashunara laughed, "Apologies, I shouldn't have doubted you, but I had to ask."

"It's a fair question I suppose Captain, and no, I doubt they saw me, but... I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sense something was amiss, for they looked a crafty pair. Do you know them also?"

"The scouts? No. but I think I know this troop. If it's who I suspect then they are led by a man named Gorsini, a crafty bugger, and well-skilled with the blade he carries. The woman is Magda-Bor, a caster of sorts."

Azure frowned, "A sorceress? She didn't look the part, too... healthy looking."

"No, not a sorceress, or not as such at least, she's from the lands to the north. I think they call her kind a "skáld", but I'm not familiar with what the term entails. I hear they have some magic about them though and can freeze the hearts of enemies or bolster the courage of allies with their cries and shouts. I actually heard her sing once, it was in a borderland tavern a year or so back. We were both very drunk, so my memory is somewhat befuddled, but she was good, for all she was drunker than a tavern doxy on payday. I had words with her and tipped her a silver for the song. She was rather pleasant company to be fair."

"Well, I'll bow to your experience on the habits of tavern doxies Captain, but the question remains, what will you do? For we need to pass this place at some point, and I doubt this glen is wide enough for us to slip by unseen, not with their scouts out."

The Captain pursed her lips, "I'll go down and talk to him in the morning and see what's what. I'll take Tallis with me, but I'd like you close at hand with that bow of yours handy should things go awry."

The scout chuckled darkly, "That sounds an uncommonly perilous stratagem, Captain. Can you trust this man?"

Ashunara laughed, "Oh, dear Gods no! He's a rogue if ever there was one, but truth be told, he's not the worst, not by a bow shot. He's not known to misuse his captures, nor does he sell to the red nuns for their amusement, and I think he's like as not to abide by the customs. Still, he's a hard man, and a slaver to boot, so we must be cautious in our dealings. But from what you say he does not have the numbers for a straight fight."

Azure butted in, "Nor do we."

The Captain nodded her agreement, "No, a fight would be too costly for either of us, regardless of final outcome. Though I say we would have the edge should it come down to a direct contest of arms or would if not for their caster. As it stands, we're close to evenly matched. There would be no profit for either of us if it came to blows, and likely much loss, so it's to his advantage to talk."

"I can assure you Captain that the instant things go peculiar that caster is going to get mysteriously shot to death."

"I knew I could rely on you Azure, it's almost as if you read my mind. Now tell me of their captives?"

Azure drew a breath, "They were an odd lot, about seven in number I think, four were Dwarves, two Orcs, and Captain, they have one of our kind."

"Did you perchance recognise her?"

"No, she was bound and kneeling by this... skáld, I think you called her. They may have been conversing, but I was too far off to be certain."

Ashunaru considered what the scout was telling her, "Hmm, as you say, a strange lot. The humans would not risk an attack upon Dwarven mines for they are far too well-guarded for so small a company, and Dwarves are doughty fighters. I suppose it may be they attacked a supply wagon. As for the Orcs? They could perchance be the bodyguard for the Dark Elf you spied."

Azure shrugged, "Mayhap."

The Captain scratched one pointed ear as she considered, "All right, go acquaint Nyx with what you've told me, and tell her I suggest we increase our guard tonight, for I dislike the idea of those two scouts of theirs creeping about. If you could inform Tallis that I'll be needing her at dawn I would appreciate it, then get yourself to bed, for we've an early rise."

"Yes, Captain."

Azure left the tent and did as she was bid, then she retired to her bedroll, wrapped herself in warm blankets and waited.

It wasn't too long before a shadow moved nearby, and Lashelle slithered under the blankets alongside her. The woman sighed as Azure slid her arms around her and her happy whisper was filled with mischief, "At least your hands are warmer now."

Hours later there was a slight change in the cold breeze that breathed across the encampment and the scout's eyes flicked open. She lay still a while, listening to Lashelle's gentle breathing and the quiet sounds of the camp. After a few long moments, she began to smile.

...

Dana of Elatha Duinn observed the encampment from the dark shadows under the trees. The sentries around the camp were well positioned and obviously keen of eye and it had taken her more than an hour and all of her skill and woodcraft to evade their scrutiny as she slithered forward on her belly, creeping slowly and carefully through the undergrowth, watching for snares and caltrops.

She and her half-brother Cormach were bounty hunters by choice and she misliked this whole slavery business as an unsavoury activity, however, needs must and they had been obliged to accept their current commission for noble intent did not put food in their bellies. Still, at least this man Gorsini seemed to be less vile than most of his ilk. He was no raper at least, for if he had been she was like to have killed him long afore now, nor did he seem to look down on mixed-bloods like her, not that she cared overmuch having long since grown used to such slights, but it was admittedly not unpleasant to be accepted as a skilled companion and not treated like an inhuman freak.

The encampment she spied upon had been positioned well and their campfires concealed, but the fickle winds had carried the scent of cooking venison and given it away.

She and Cormach had felt that someone was creeping about, though it was more a sense of things being amiss than anything else for they had seen no sign or track, but even so, the woods had grown uncommonly still at times, and she had known they were being observed.

Most of the occupants of the camp she was watching looked to be captured slaves, and strangely there were a number of children among them and that was peculiar, for the Dark Elves did not typically seize children as slaves. Still, perhaps they had found some valu...

The lethally sharp point of the leaf-shaped blade came to rest ever so gently against the back of her neck, and she blew out an exasperated sigh of resignation.

"Soap."

The voice came from the darkness behind her, but she did not risk turning her head for the blade had not been withdrawn, "Huh?"

"You bathed with soap, two perhaps three, days ago. You would have been better to use juniper oils and ground moss. The scent would have been nigh impossible to detect."

Dana's voice was incredulous, "You tracked me by my soap?"

"No, but the scent did tell me you were about and nearby, after that, it was a matter of watching and waiting. There are only so many avenues to the camp that allowed sufficient opportunity for a stealthy approach after all. But don't be too hard on yourself, you have some skill."

"But not as skilled as you it seems."

Dana could almost hear the humour in the woman's voice, "No, but maybe one day."

The Half-Elf made herself relax outwardly but within she coiled, ready to...

The blade pushed against her neck just enough to draw blood, "Don't."

The voice that spoke that single word was flat, deadly, and contained no humour whatsoever.

"Is your friend out there somewhere?"

The Half-Elf quivered, but her voice was steady enough, "No. We split up. He went to scout the other side of the glen."

"I'm sure, call him. If he's not there he won't hear, so no harm done."

"No."

The pressure on the tip of the blade increased slightly and she gritted her teeth to avoid whimpering in pain, "Call him."

"No!"

Dana felt the trickle of blood running down her neck, "Last chance girl. Call him or die."

"KISS MY ARSE!"

The voice was silent for a moment and then the blade withdrew with a chuckle, "Maybe some other time. Now, up you get my dear, careful now, I wouldn't want to skewer you just because you stumbled or something."

"What?"

"Oh, come now, I'm not going to kill you, well, not today... probably. But I think it might be best if you come and speak to my Captain."

"I am NOT going to be your fucking slave, you bitch!"

Azure stopped to look at the girl. She was a little taller than the Dark Elf, a little more heavily built though still slender. Her shoulders were marginally broader, and her features were a strange alien amalgam of Elf and Human with upturned almond-shaped eyes of hazel and narrow arched brows. Her collar-length hair was brown and wavy and Azure could see how it had been cut to partially hide her delicately pointed ears. All in all, she wasn't unattractive thought the Dark Elf and she gave the girl a nonplussed shrug.

"Why not?"

The girl appeared confused by the question, "Pardon?"

"I said why not be my slave? You're young, healthy, rather pretty, obviously well-skilled, and you seem to have both courage and loyalty, you would fetch a good price. I'm not known for cruelty, well not to my allies at least, I could improve your knowledge of your craft if you wished to learn from me, I've been told I'm rather comely, and I cook well, I do not snore, nor am I slovenly. Why would you not want to be my slave? What's wrong with me?"

The Dark Elf spoke in such a deadpan manner and with such a straight face that Dana was almost completely taken aback, "You're insane."

Azure shrugged, "Yes, I've been told that before also, rather often oddly enough, I cannot imagine why."

Dana stared at the woman, "Are... Are you jesting with me?"

The Dark Elf sighed, "Apparently so."

After so many years of practice, Ashunara woke easily from slumber, and she simply sat up and wrapped a blanket about herself when Azure called from outside the tent and then escorted her captive within.

The Captain looked at the Half-Elf curiously, "What's this?"

Azure grinned at the Captain as she reached around and carefully unbuckled the woman's sword belt, "She was creeping about near the camp Captain, she's one of the scouts I saw."

Ashunara nodded, "She give you any trouble."

Dana literally ground her teeth together but managed to hold her tongue at the offhand way the woman recovered the dagger from her boot and the concealed one from up her sleeve with an impish grin, "Oh, no trouble Captain, but I warn you, she is apparently most definitely NOT going to be my slave."

"No?"

Azure sighed theatrically, "Apparently not. Must be just something about me I suppose."

"Oh well, Azure, perhaps she's just fussy. What do you intend now?"

"Do you want me to go get the other? He'll be out there someplace, but he'll likely be wary now if he saw me take her into camp, I may have to kill him."

Dana stirred and was about to say something when the Captain pre-empted her, "Can he do us harm do you think? If not, I say leave it for now and go get some rest."

"He may be provoked to rash action now we have her, and I suppose we might get him to give himself up, perhaps, if we string her up and threaten her with some torture or abuse?"

Dana felt a trickle of fear run down her spine as the Captain looked at her with those dark, dark eyes and that wolfish grin, "Now, now Azure, that would be inhospitable. If you don't mind, could you perchance summon Nyx to my tent afore you go to bed, please?"

The scout gave her a last look before exiting the tent with a dark chuckle and a word of warning, "Mind you behave now."

Ashunara watched the Half-Elf a moment, waiting, as the young woman eyed her sword belt as it lay within easy reach upon to chart table, "I wouldn't, there's an Orc sentry just outside the tent, so unless you fancy fighting your way to freedom through a pack of greenskins I doubt it's worth the bother."

Dana regarded the Dark Elf sitting on the bed. It was all but impossible to guess her age, and she appeared entirely calm, though her hair was mussed from being roused from sleep and strangely this mundane sign of apparent mortality gave the girl some slight reassurance.

The Captain frowned, "What's wrong with my hair?"

"How did yo... nevermind. What's to become of me? I'll not be a slave in one of your vile pleasure-dens! I'll slay myself first."

The Dark Elf blinked, "That seems a waste if you ask me, and our "pleasure dens" are anything but vile I can assure you. But either way, you'll not see the inside of one this trip, well not by my doing anyway, for I thought to let you go."

"What?"

The Dark Elf chuckled at the woman's obvious surprise and Dana prevaricated desperately, "You've a blade under that blanket."

Gortmundy
Gortmundy
759 Followers