The Tattooed Woman Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She nodded down towards the human camp, "Down there are a bunch of human slavers, normally our sworn foes."

Tallis looked at her and then back at the camp as she tried to keep her apprehension from her voice, "Foes Captain?"

"Aye, you see our commission is not just to raid the human realm for viable slaves, which we have done, but also to stop human slavers from doing the same to us, and where possible, destroying them. That's why should opposing slaver bands encounter each other it usually ends in a bloodbath."

"Then why are we..."

"Well, Tallis, what I said is all well and good, but we take slaves for a number of reasons. Many are workers and the like, and we sell them on the block for a share of their auction price or keep them for the good of our own houses. But a few, usually those with some form of social rank or position, are held for ransom, and the humans effectively buy them back, either for coin or on occasion in exchange for any of our kind they may have taken. It's a bit of a filthy business, but it pays well enough."

Tallis nodded, "I see."

"Well Tallis, to facilitate such exchanges there has to be a mechanism by which we can deal with the humans, often this is done via intermediates who carry words and messages back and forth between the various factions, but in addition to that, there are certain places, such as the slaver markets that can sometimes be found in the small towns and settlements along the frontier and areas of holy ground that are considered, by convention, to be neutral territory so to speak. That shrine down there and the grounds around it is such a place."

The young Dark Elf sounded dubious, "So, we are safe here?"

Ashunara gave a snort of laughter, "Absolutely not! It is a convention only, and not one that can be enforced. But a few companies are known to abide by them, but even then, it's a gamble and a risk. This fellow Gorsini is known to have abided by the conventions in the past, but that does not compel him to abide by them now so we must be ever wary. Now heed me well here Tallis, when we go down into that encampment, you may see things you do not like, for he may be cruel to his slaves, though that's not what I've heard, but you never know. If that is the case, you must hold your temper in check. Can you do this?"

"Yes, Captain."

Ashunara grinned, "Good, now that is not to say we let the bastard take liberties for if push comes to shove, I'll gut him where he stands. But let's try and do this the easy way first if we can."

"I'll have your back Captain."

"I never doubted it girl."

As they approached two figures separated from the encampment and moved forward to meet them while others took up arms in readiness. The two were a red-haired man wearing mail and armed with a serviceable blade and a tall fair-haired woman also clad in mail, wearing a wolf-hide cloak and carrying a hunting spear. As they drew closer Tallis saw that the man was of middle age, handsome in a way, with rugged lines on his face and a devious, hawk-like expression. The woman was striking though, easily six feet tall, with a lean physique and graceful stride. Her skin was as pale as any Elf and her hair was long and fair. She had grey eyes and a bright smile, and she wore a gold torc around her throat that was braided like a rope while each end was engraved with the image of a dragon's head.

The pair stopped a few yards away and the man held up his hand in a friendly gesture, "Well met Captain Ashanaru, you look as lovely as always, though, being an Elf that's no surprise I suppose."

The Captain grinned, "And you're just as ugly as I remember Gorsini, though I think I spy a few grey hairs in that red beard of yours."

The man laughed in a good-natured fashion, "Well, I don't have your advantages, you knife-eared wench," he gestured to his companion, "I believe you know my friend Magda-Bor?"

Ashunaru nodded to the woman, "I do, I heard you sing once madam, you were very good."

The woman's smile grew brighter still, "I remember, you tipped me a silver as I recall."

The Captain nodded, "I did you an injustice there, for your song was worth more, but I was short of coin that day and but gave what I could afford."

Gorsini smiled and gestured to Tallis with a shrewd expression, "And who's this lovely young lady, a protégé perhaps Captain? I think I see some familial resemblance."

"Young lady, is it? She's easily three times your age human, but still, your words are not unkind. This is Tallis-Mora, she is under my command, you need not concern yourself further."

The man nodded, "Well enough. So, what do we do here? Is there to be a fight, or shall we come to some accord? For my part, I would prefer we come to terms and avoid bloodshed if we can."

Ashunara nodded, "Agreed, I surmise there is no profit for either of us to be found in battle. I offer terms."

"What is it you suggest?"

"Simple enough, that there be no friction between us. My company shall remain encamped where they are until you move from the shrine, we will allow you to pass us in peace and then we move to the shrine ourselves. What say you?"

Gorsini looked to his companion, and they exchanged glances. The blonde woman gave a barely perceptible shrug and the man looked back at the Dark Elves, "A little thin Captain, we would be vulnerable as we moved past your position. Do you have a suggestion to mitigate this, and make a poor nervous soldier like myself feel a little more secure?"

The Captain laughed, "Poor nervous soldier my arse! Remember, I played dice with you and you're as cold as this snow around us when needs be, but perhaps a compromise?"

"Go on?"

"Myself and my companion would gladly walk with you until you pass my position, after which we leave your company in peace and unhindered. Of course, we would remain armed throughout, purely for our own peace of mind of course."

"Oh, of course," the man looked about, "is your scout about perchance, the damnably elusive one with the bow?"

Ashunara casually looked off to the nearby trees, "You know, I am never quite sure precisely where she might be at any given moment, she does tend to wander a bit."

Gorsini laughed, "I'm sure, and I suspect that should anything go amiss I would be the first to take an arrow to the throat."

The Captain smiled beatifically and glanced pointedly at the skáld, "Not the first, no."

Magda shook her head with a chuckle, "I take no offence Captain, I suspect I'd be just as cautious around that wizard of yours."

Gorsini interrupted, "That reminds me, Captain, I must thank you for returning my scout unharmed, she's a good lass and I'm grateful."

"Even though she's of mixed blood?"

The human spat, "You know I have no ill feelings towards such, I prefer to judge a man, or woman, by their deeds, not their heritage. I've known many with blood as pure as the driven snow who would cheerfully cut my throat for less than the price of a mug of ale without a seconds thought. She's a good scout, I've found her to be loyal and brave, and I would not like to have lost her. I take it you'll want hostages of your own?"

"Guests, not hostages, and yes, I'll accept that scout you just spoke so well of, and another soldier, a veteran though."

Magda laughed, "I expected you to ask for me Captain. I must confess I'm not sure if I'm relieved or offended."

"Well, I would have, but I'm hoping to hear you sing and I'm sure your Captain is about to ask me to share the hospitality of his camp."

Gorsini grinned, "If you wanted to examine my catch you could just ask you know, but even so, you are welcome in my camp. Though from what I'm told my cook is not so skilled as yours, but you are welcome to dine with us all the same. Captain, I accept your terms."

Ashunara walked with Gorsini back into his camp and as she did the man waved his soldiers to relax. Blades and crossbows were sheathed and unloaded, shields were unbuckled, and his soldiers returned to their places by the campfires, albeit keeping wary eyes on the two Dark Elves walking with their Captain. The sentries however did not relax, and they kept their weapons to hand and a careful eye on the surround.

The Captain appeared to be chatting amiably with the human man while Tallis walked with the tall woman. She tried to appear as relaxed as her commander but could not help but peer about nervously. She could feel the eyes of the humans on her, and she did her best to ignore the creeping feeling that made her hand almost involuntarily twitch towards her sword.

Something by the fire caught her attention. She peered at it for a moment before drawing a breath as she realised what she was looking at, "Captain!"

Ashunara had not missed the bound Dark Elf who lay on her side by the fire, naked, tied hand and foot, gagged and blindfolded, with a guard seated nearby. She nodded towards the girl and spoke in a mild conversational tone that fooled nobody, "You know, that's the sort of sight that could provoke a person into a rash and unfriendly act wouldn't you say?"

As she spoke her stance changed ever so slightly and her hand rested, gently, on the hilt of her sword.

Gorsini raised his hands, "Peace Captain, she has not been harmed and she brought this treatment upon herself. Will you allow me a moment to explain before things perhaps spiral out of hand?"

Ashunara stared at the man coldly and her smile was not a friendly one, "Please do, but best make it good, or you and I are about to have a 'serious disagreement' I'm afraid."

The man sighed and gestured again at the nearby men who had begun to rise to their feet. They slowly subsided but many kept a wary hand on their weapons.

"So, Captain, our commission was to capture a number of Dwarves, I'll not bore you with the reasons. Anyway, when we tracked our quarry, they were engaged in a negotiation with this woman and her bodyguard and thus we netted her as well. The engagement was hotly contested, and I lost a number of men, but be that as it may.

"Anyway, two nights ago the woman tried to escape. She produced a concealed dagger, managed to free herself and attempted to make off. The guard spotted her actions and roused the camp. She was tackled and after a brief struggle, she was subdued."

Ashunara spoke pointedly, "And you did that to her?"

Gorsini smiled, "Actually no. After all, I can hardly blame the girl for trying to escape, I would probably have done the same in her place. So, instead of punishment, I had Magda talk to her. She elicited a promise from the woman to behave herself and so I let the matter slide. Then, last night she did the same damned thing, only this time she stabbed the guard in order to silence him. Unfortunately for her, I had increased the watch as a precaution for I knew you were about Captain and so she was again observed and apprehended."

The Dark Elf nodded, "Ah, how's your man?"

"Indeed Captain. Well, he's badly hurt, that's the reason I cannot afford you the hospitality of my tent, for he's in there with my surgeon even as we speak. Now I have no idea where this woman hides her damned blades, for she was well-searched I can assure you, yet she managed to produce two.

"Now you know what needs be done, I know you do! When a captive attacks one of your men an example must be made. Normally she would be flogged, even if only as a lesson to the other slaves but in this case that would serve little purpose. Dwarves care not if I whip a Dark Elf, and you know how Orcs can be, besides, unlike some I get no pleasure in beating a slave and it would be a shame to mar her skin."

"So, you did this instead?"

Gorsini shrugged, "I was vexed at her lies and angry at the hurt she did my man, I admit it. But I also know how prideful Dark Elves can be, meaning no offence of course."

"None taken."

"Well, I reasoned that the embarrassment of her lying there like a side of ham, helplessly being leered at by any and all might be enough to dissuade her from further idiocy. And besides, she can't very well hide a dagger if she's been stripped, do you not do the same thing with slaves in your own realm after all?"

Ashunara nodded, "To be fair we do, but you know, she's probably summoning the blades."

Gorsini stared, "What?"

Magda laughed, "Oh damn, I should have thought of that, it's a simple enough conjuring spell after all, for all that it's beyond me, she's basically plucking the damned things out of thin air."

"How do we counter that?"

Magda mused, "Well, either convince her to stop, leave her trussed up like a turkey, or cut off her fingers. After all, it's difficult to weave spells with no fingers I'm told."

Gorsini swore, "Can't leave her tied, too much of a pain in the arse to move her like that, and I'm not cutting off some girl's fingers just because it's convenient."

Tallis butted in, "Not for her I imagine."

Ashunara regarded the man, he was handsome enough, and she found his reluctance to inflict harm on an errant slave at least slightly endearing, "Perhaps I could offer a suggestion?"

"You're all ears," he quipped.

Tallis rolled her eyes and the Captain ignored the pun as she continued, "Our magus has a healing spell, it's not so very powerful, but in combination with your surgeon's skills it might prove effective?"

"I sense a catch. What are you offering, and what will it cost?"

"I suggest you move your man to my encampment where the wizard can treat him, if we save the fellow then you give us the girl in exchange?"

Gorsini laughed, "Now Captain, I appreciate the offer, but a Dark Elven captive is worth a lot of coin. Now I like the man, he's a good soldier, but he's not kin that I would give up such a purse."

"You just said you cannot move her easily, nor control her without indulging in brutality. I expect you would eventually be forced to kill her, and what do you intend to do if your man perishes?"

The human sighed, "I'd have to hang her, even if only to appease my men. The only other option would be to give her to them, and I'll not do that."

"So, you might end up killing her anyway or being obliged to act the brute. Besides..."

"Besides?"

"Well, if your man is being treated at my encampment then your tent falls empty, and I'm sure that between us we could put it to a better use."

The man gave her a wicked grin, "Now that, is a compelling argument."

...

Tallis was surprised to find that supper among the humans was not so bad, and even an enjoyable experience, after a fashion. The food was decent enough, and even though it wasn't up to Maggie's standards it was plentiful and hot enough to warm the bones on a cold evening.

Magda favoured them with a song after supper and her voice was a magical thing, evoking images of her home, a far-off land of ice-covered lakes and mountainous seas, with towering waves, each capped with a white spray that made them appear as wild snow-capped peaks.

Most of the humans were wary of her, but a couple of the younger ones found courage enough to share a few shy words. Mostly they would ask about the lands of the Fae, for to them it was a place of myth, legend and magick, and Tallis giggled at their dumbfounded stares when they discovered she was more than a hundred years old. Given she looked barely twenty she could understand their amazement, but it was amusing, nonetheless.

She found herself sitting with Magda, sharing a blanket near the fire. The woman was incredibly easy to talk with and she found herself telling the woman about Lily, even as she did so she wondered if there was some enchantment at work, but the strange foreign woman only smiled.

Gorsini and Ashunara stirred from the fire and rose. The man nodded amiably to Magda and Tallis, "The Captain and I will retire to discuss tactics and other details of tomorrow's arrangement. Magda, if you would, could you see to untying that little minx and finding the girl some clothes perchance?"

Magda managed to keep a straight face at the obvious fiction, but Tallis was obliged to look away and stifle a giggle. The Captain gave her a pointed stare until she stopped her smirking, and then winked.

The inside of the tent was kept pleasantly warm by a burning brazier and Ashunara sat on the cot with a sigh, as Gorsini pulled a flask from his pack and offered it to her.

Ashunara unstopped the thing and sniffed it before she took a swig, "Not bad, what is it?"

"Spiced rum, a friend of mine sometimes manages to smuggle me a case. Not seen him in a while though."

The Dark Elf sipped and passed it back as she began to unlace her armour. To her surprise the man stopped her, "You don't have to."

"Huh?"

He grinned and took a drink, "I mean you don't have to do this, if my man survives, I'll give you the girl anyway. It might be different if we were not so pursued, but I simply don't have the time to carry her along like a sack of potatoes, and I'll be damned before I cut her bloody fingers off. So, if my man lives you can have her."

Ashunara scratched her ear, "Are you saying you don't want to sleep with me?"

"Good gods no! That's not what I'm saying, I may be daft, but I'm not mad. Of course, I want to sleep with you, but just not... well, you know."

"Ah, I'm too old, is that it? You fancy the young thing I came here with? You do realise she's older than your grandmother you know."

"What? No! I mean you're as beautiful and wild a thing as you've always been, but you don't have to give yourself to me in exchange for the girl, you can have her."

Ashunara laughed, "I'm a Dark Elf, I don't "give" myself to anyone for anything other than my own amusement, and sympathy is not my strongest suit, that bitch can look out for herself as far as I'm concerned, now are you going to help me off with these boots or not?"

Tallis untied the woman while Magda recovered her clothes. The woman spat out the gag and pushed the younger Dark Elf aside, "I need not your assistance!"

Magda rolled her eyes and held out the woman's clothes, she snatched them from her with a snarl before turning back to Tallis, "You may escort me from this wretched hive once I am dressed."

Tallis shook her head, "Sorry, but we'll need to wait for the Captain to..."

"I'm not interested in your plebian Captain, you will do as I say, understand."

"Listen, you really need to..."

The woman slapped her, "I heard the words your Captain spoke to that human beast, she is a whore, now obey me!"

Tallis slammed her fist into the woman's gut, her breath exploded from her, and she doubled over before collapsing to her knees. Tallis grabbed her silver hair and turned her face up towards her, "She's my Captain, and my aunt, so I suggest you stop being rude."

The woman coughed and looked up into the young soldier's eyes, "You bitc..."

Tallis' fist cracked against her jaw driving her face-first into the mud in an unconscious heap.

Magda chuckled, "Ah, I see you favour the calm and reasoned approach to argument, and you made your point admirably. Do you still want these clothes, and shall I help you dress her?"

The young Dark Elf sniffed, "Fuck that bitch, tie her up again and leave her as she is."