The Tattooed Woman Pt. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She gave a low whistle as she gazed at the human woman, "And such a morsel! You look lovely Hildegard, the gown truly becomes you," she gestured towards the tables, "here, you are to sit by me, and we have places yonder I think, see, Lily awaits us, and looks to be already staring daggers at someone, let us go distract her before she vaults the table and murders the annoying bitch."

The Sunkissed Elf did indeed look vexed, but the grimace of annoyance was swiftly replaced by a beaming smile of welcome as she saw Hildegard and Muriah's approach, "Oh, thank the Gods you're here! Another moment of listening to how "gratifying it must be to be among civilised people at last" and I'm like to stab someone."

Muriah grinned and turned to Hildegard, "And I heard the Sunkissed were all gentle and boring, damned if I'm not starting to like this one, she's near enough as intemperate as me. It's almost worth betting a coin on which of us puts our foot in it first wouldn't you say?"

Hildegard gave a resigned groan as she took a seat between the two Elves, "Oh, dear Gods, this is going to be a disaster, isn't it?"

"Pretty much."

"Almost guaranteed."

As the dinner proceeded and innumerable small dishes were laid before her Hildegard found herself gazing in utter bewilderment at the myriad forks, spoons, knives and other cutlery laid about her setting and her hand hesitated as she tried desperately not to make an utter fool of herself, "Gods! How many fucking spoons does it take to eat soup?"

She almost started when a hand squeezed her thigh gently and Muriah leaned close to whisper conspiratorially, "Don't worry about it, just enjoy your dinner, these assholes will take the piss regardless."

"But I don't want to embarrass Ashunara, I'm her guest."

Muriah chuckled, "Well, fair enough, I can understand that. I warn you though, you'll never be good enough for these clowns but if you're determined to try nonetheless then watch me, I'll select the same courses as you and you can see what tools I select. Just don't pick that green-looking stuff, it's fucking vile, and I hate it. Deal?"

Lily leaned over, "Can I join in?"

"Huh?"

The Sunkissed Elf grinned, "I'm an adventurer, my idea of fine dining is when you get a bit of onion with the rabbit stew over an open fire, I've not got a bloody clue of the difference between a berry fork, a relish fork, and whatnot."

Hildegard was looking at the cutlery, all of which looked to be intricately and gorgeously carved. She picked up an elegant knife, "What are these made of, they're beautiful?"

Muriah grinned, "Dragonfish bone, or perhaps the shells of giant turtles."

"Dragonfish?"

"It's a great fish I believe, larger than a galley I'm told, and found in the deep oceans. We trade metals with Orcish tribes from the far north for the oils and bones from their hunts and Gnomish artisans have created quite an industry in carving them."

Lily nodded, "We use carved hardwoods and engraved obsidian in my lands for such things."

Hildegard looked puzzled, "Do you not use metals for cutlery?"

Muriah smiled and held up a fork, "Well, common folk use steel, but I would guess that almost every household has a set of such things made from engraved bone for special occasions. They are sometimes heirlooms or gifts for marriages and births. Every proud matron will set out their best for feasting at Samhain and Beltane."

Lily added, "You see Hildegard we are Fae, and as such silver and iron, especially cold iron, is unpleasant for us. We are not undead or werewolves, so we don't explode or burn, but the touch of such elements is uncomfortable to us. Hence the fancy carved bones."

An arrogant voice from across the table cut across the conversation, "No doubt the barbarian thought they were crafted from the bloody bones of humans and other lower creatures we had slaughtered."

The speaker was a Dark Elven noble and there was a spattering of light chuckles at her witticism from the maidens seated around her. One gestured expansively, "Ah, but give credit where it's due, at least the creature is making some attempt at good manners."

The first speaker snorted in derision, "Yes, by clumsily aping its betters, one may as well be dining with a poorly trained dog, t'is uncivilised I say."

Muriah stared angrily at the cluster of Dark Elves, "Well, at least she is better and more honest company than the gaggle of insipid bitches I see before me."

Lily groaned, "And here we go..."

One of the Dark Elves snapped, "Best be silent slave! For you are little better than they, and I won't hesitate to see you whipped if you continue to speak to your betters in such an insolent tone."

With swifter reflexes than she thought she possessed, Hildegard grabbed Muriah's hand and held it tightly, anticipating that the next moment would see a knife appearing in its grasp, "It's all right Muriah, I've heard much worse in my time."

One of the Dark Elves laughed, "Oh, I'm sure you have Human, you look the type. But even so, you do dress up prettily for all that, and who among us gentleborm folk does not like a bit of rough now and again? I can hardly blame Lady Ashunara for her appetites after all."

The first to speak hissed with malice, "it's disgraceful that she parades her toys and advertises her sexual dalliances at dinner among well-mannered company though. This low-born whore is unfit to lick our boots, let alone sit at the same table. I do not doubt she was seated across from us on purpose, it's a deliberate insult."

"Something vexes you, Lady Marissa?"

The cool voice was calm and collected, and the gaggle of Dark Elves looked up as Matriarch Aventine stared at them from the high table with dark, unblinking eyes, "Your voice was carrying my dear. Please, if something troubles you, I would be remiss in my duties as host if I did not attempt swift rectification. Enlighten me, what provokes this display of spleen that so unbalances you?"

The hall had grown silent at the sound of the Matriarch's voice and eyes turned to regard the younger Dark Elf. Their gaze was typically unsympathetic and filled with malicious glee at her discomfort, and Marissa bridled in embarrassment as a few whispered conversations sparked gentle titters of amusement among her peers. She swallowed and pointed across towards the three women opposite, "It is unseemly that we are to sit at table with such as this human slave. She's barely fit to serve our dinner, not eat it as one of us."

Aventine seemed to smile apologetically but the expression did not reach her eyes which remained as cold as always, "She is the guest of my sister; thus, it would be discourteous to refuse her a place."

Ashunara said nothing, she simply sat, watching the byplay while idly playing with the knife in her hand.

Aventine gestured languidly with her right hand, "My sister and I have, at times, exchanged words regarding her choice of companions, indeed I was once so vexed by her predilections that I was moved to rebuke her quite harshly, so I do sympathise with your sentiment, my dear."

Lady Marissa gave Hildegard a malicious smile as she bowed her head in acknowledgement of the remark, "My gratitude Matriarch, I knew you would unders-"

"Although..."

"Matriarch?"

"Well, it strikes me that your comments regarding how uncivilised the company is at my table might well be construed as a criticism as to the quality of the hospitality of my House."

"I did not say such a thing!"

Aventine smiled sweetly, "Ah, so, now you say I speak falsely," she turned towards Ashunara, "Captain, yonder maiden insults my hospitality while under my roof, and accuses me of being false, what say you?"

Ashunara grinned, "I am at your disposal as always, do you require satisfaction?"

The Matriarch turned her cold, dark gaze back to the offending Dark Elf and her voice was frigid, "Oh yes, indeed I do."

Hildegard watched in stunned surprise at the suddenness in which a few insults had turned deadly and swallowed as Ashunara's smile turned as feral as any she had ever seen as the Captain turned to a nearby servant, "Fetch my sword, please."

The servant swiftly darted off.

Lady Marissa stared wide-eyed as Ashunara stood and gracefully moved towards the centre of the dancefloor. She appeared entirely unconcerned and peered at her fingernails in mild disinterest as she awaited the arrival of her blade. Looking up she beamed a happy smile at the younger Dark Elf, "Do you have a champion milady, or do you have courage enough to back your ill-chosen words yourself?"

The younger Dark Elf snarled, "I have courage enough to face the likes of you, you barren bitch!"

Muriah groaned, "Oh, shit."

Further down the table an older Dark Elf all but leapt to her feet, "Matriarch Varro, my daughter is a high-spirited and foolish girl, her words were doubtless intemperate and poorly chosen, I offer the sincere apologies of my family at the insult to your worthy House. Please, I ask you to forgive her ignorance."

From her place at the high table, Aventine Varro slowly turned her gaze to the woman, "Matriarch Ral, I hear your kind words and if the insult was yours, I would swiftly accept such a gracious apology, for are we not friends after all? But alas, you have committed no offence to be forgiven, the words were your daughters were they not?"

"Marissa, apologise!"

Lady Marissa gestured to one of her attendants who passed her a fine-looking blade, hilt-first, "I shall not mother, I have been trained by the finest fencing masters in the city, I'm not afraid of this posturing cow."

"Silence you fool! Don't you see what's happening here? She'll kill you in an instant you stupid child!"

The servant returned carrying a dark bundle and the hall rang to the sound of steel as Ashunara drew her blade. She looked back at Lady Marissa, "Last chance girl, will you apologise?"

Lady Marissa held her head high, "I will not!"

"So be it."

What happened next made Muriah seriously doubt the wisdom of her plan to ever fight the Captain. Lady Marissa was skilled, and it was obvious she was well trained, but she'd never fought an actual duel for her life before and it showed. From the very first touch of blades, she was driven backwards, desperately fending off her more experienced opponent. Ashunara gave her no respite, no chance to regain her poise or balance. She deftly slid under the younger woman's first wild thrust and with viper-like speed neatly sliced a shallow cut across her thigh, drawing a thin line of crimson.

The next exchange saw Lady Marissa yelp and stumble backwards sporting a shallow cut to her cheek. Ashunara took advantage and advanced slicing the girl neatly across the arm and then across the midriff with a blindingly swift backhanded stroke. None of the wounds was in themselves serious but it was blatantly obvious to all watching that Ashunara was toying with the younger woman and could have easily killed her at will. Each time they exchanged blows Marissa would hiss in pain as she took another shallow cut.

Blood loss and fatigue slowed Marissa's steps and stripped her of what little balance she had, and each time she stumbled Ashunara darted in to inflict another minor wound. Eventually, she slipped on the blood and crumpled to her knees so exhausted and weak that she could barely hold her sword, but even so she stilled her helpless panting and swallowed as she felt the razor-sharp edge of the Captain's dark sword touching her throat. Looking up she all but whimpered as she stared into the pitiless eyes of the woman she had insulted. Ashunara shook her head sadly, "You're brave, I'll give you that, but there's a big difference between fencing in a salle, and fighting for your life girl."

Matriarch Ral leapt back to her feet, "Please! Don't kill her!"

Aventine glanced up, "A moment Captain, if you please," looking down the table again she addressed the distraught woman, "Matriarch Ral, such an unseemly outburst of sentiment and emotion, it is so unlike you. Still, it is perhaps understandable. Forgive me for interrupting your hysterics but I heard a disquieting rumour that you spoke against my advancement to Grand Matriarch recently. I thought to myself that such a thing could not be, for we are friends are we not?"

The older woman dragged her eyes from the bloodied form of her daughter, on her knees and helpless under Ashunara's blade and she spoke desperately, "You must be mistaken Aventine, for I would never do such a thing. In fact, I declare my wholehearted support of you now, in full view of these noble witnesses, but... please..."

Matriarch Varro picked up a goblet of wine and seemed to consider, "Captain, perhaps there is merit to what Matriarch Ral said earlier, and these are merely the foolish words of a childish malcontent. Should we not, therefore, show at least some leniency? I believe the lesson has been well learned after all."

Ashunara looked down at the helpless woman, "My guest requires an apology. You mentioned something about licking boots I believe?"

"What?"

Marissa winced as the blade nicked the skin at her throat and Ashunara's voice was as cold and hard as a tombstone, "I'm not well known for my patience."

Whimpering in pain and shameful embarrassment Lady Marissa crawled slowly towards Hildegard and all but sobbed, "I... I... apologise for my w-words, they were unkind and b-beneath me. P-Please forgive m-me."

The woman bent and reached for Hildegard's foot, but the human stopped her, "There's no need, I accept your apology. Please, get up, here, let me help you."

Ashunara moved to help get Lady Marissa back on her feet, but Hildegard angrily slapped her hand away, "You've done enough to the girl you vicious brute!"

Careless of the blood spattering her gown Hildegard led the stumbling weeping woman from the hall.

Lily turned to Muriah, "What just happened?"

The Dark Elf chuckled and refilled their glasses, "Welcome to the gentle world of Dark Elven politics."

The Sunkissed girl gazed at the bloodstains on the polished floor and shook her head, "What is a Grand Matriarch anyway, is it like a Queen or somesuch?"

Muriah looked up at Ashunara, who had retaken her place at the high table. The woman appeared entirely unfazed by the events and more concerned by the one or two spots of Marissa's blood that had somehow stained her sleeve, "I didn't know she could be like that, so ruthless."

Lily followed her gaze, "It does seem uncharacteristic, but still, she's a Dark Elf after all... er, no offence."

"None taken, and no, a Grand Matriarch is somewhat less than a Queen. Our realm is divided loosely into city-states and domains, and each of our Houses is ruled by a Matriarch. The Matriarchs of the greater houses in a particular city-state form a council that governs that place, and they elect from among their number a 'Grand Matriarch', who is the first among equals I suppose, and rules with the assistance of her fellow council members. The Grand Matriarchs of each city-state in turn form the High Council and they elect one from among their number who serves as our Queen and rules with the assistance and advice of the High Council."

Lily pondered, "That sounds very democratic, I suppose."

Muriah laughed, "It's not, not in the least, the amount of backstabbing, both political and real, would put the Assassins Guild to shame. The Grand Matriarchs and even the Queen herself serve until they retire, are deposed or are assassinated. Only the Matriarchs get a vote, the likes of you and I, or any of the common folk certainly wouldn't get any say, and generally only the richest, most powerful, or most influential are successful in their ambitions. It's very, very cut-throat, and it appears there is a vacancy and Aventine is making a bid for the Office."

"Do you think she'll get what she wants?"

"Well, from all accounts she's ruthless enough."

The rest of the dinner thankfully proceeded without further bloodshed, and indeed there were minstrels, jesters and tricksters to entertain the diners before the tables were cleared and the dancing commenced, but Ashunara sat through it all with a fixed smile on her face, nodding politely at the insipid comments directed her way and trying not to let the worry show in her eyes. Eventually, as soon as she thought polite, she excused herself and slipped quietly from the chamber.

She padded silently along the long passageways, nodding absently to passing servants until she reached the heavy wooden door of her chambers where she paused. Listening carefully, her keen Elven ears detected the weeping and swearing from within, drawing a breath she pushed open the door.

Hildegard was sitting miserably in a chair, looking down at the bloodstains marring her gown and muttering angrily. Ashunara winced as she saw that tears had streaked her face, but then ducked swiftly as the woman snarled a curse and hurled the gold coin at her head with all the fury she could muster. The projectile narrowly missed and careened past the Dark Elf and through the open doorway to clatter to rest someplace in the corridor outside, "You utter bitch! You used me! You dressed me up like a dog's dinner and served me up as bait just to goad that poor stupid girl and then you fucking tortured and humiliated her right in front of me! I tried to leave but your bastard guards won't let me out of this fancy fucking prison."

"I'm sorry, I had no choice."

"That child didn't have a snowflake's chance in Hell against you! And you fucking knew it."

Ashunara bit back, "That 'child' is almost two hundred years old, and she would have whipped the skin from your back and laughed as she did it! She's no innocent, and I gave her a chance to apologise at the start, which I wasn't meant to, I might add."

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

The Captain gave a sigh of resignation and slumped down onto a chair, "I told Aventine I was indebted to her personally for paying the coin so Quintus would be spared slavery. She said she would see that I paid her back, I just didn't know it would be that quickly, and that ruthlessly. Look I did my absolute damndest to avoid hurting the girl too grievously, her wounds were all shallow and like as not she'll not even suffer a scar and be right as rain by week's end. I certainly wasn't going to kill the little idiot."

"Then why?"

"Aventine needed her mother's support, and she wanted to demonstrate, graphically, what would happen to those that crossed her, that, and she made it look like I'm at her beck and call for such chores."

"Your sister is a real piece of work, you know that?"

Ashunara stared at her hands and mumbled, "She's just me, but older. Look, I didn't think the little fool would fight so hard, I thought she was another helpless dilettante and she'd go down at the first cut. I didn't want to do that to her."

"Then why did you?"

"Because the bitch got me angry! I didn't like what she said about you and I didn't like what she said about me! I thought I was over it, but I guess I'm not."

Hildegard looked puzzled, "The comment about being barren? But you're young you said, you have centuries yet for a family."

The Dark Elf sighed wearily, "I'll never have children Hildegard. When I was taken it was in battle and I took a bad wound. They healed me up only because I was worth coin to them. The healing was carelessly done, and afterwards, their treatment was... unkind. By the time I was ransomed, the damage was irreversible and that was that. I'll never have children, I'll never marry, and I'll never inherit, though the last two I can do well without."

"Dear Gods."

Ashunara looked up at the woman, "Don't trouble yourself lass, it was many, many years ago, long before even your great-grandmother was born. I thought I had long since come to terms with it, but the girl vexed me," she chuckled harshly, "Aventine always said I had a temper."