The Tattooed Woman Pt. 27

Story Info
Friends with benefits?
6.3k words
4.89
7.4k
9

Part 27 of the 43 part series

Updated 04/07/2024
Created 11/03/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gortmundy
Gortmundy
767 Followers

I hope folks are enjoying the story so far. Please leave comments, as criticism both positive and constructive is inherently useful. Plus, I like reading comments, so that's cool.

The Tattooed Woman Volume 2 - Chapter 13: Hello Old Friend

Ashunara Varro, Captain of her own free Company, Dark Elf and swordmaiden, looked at the motley trio in front of her and could not but help grinning, for Muriah sulked mightily as was typical while the other two with her were so battered and bruised that they looked like they'd both been run over by a herd of angry centaurs and then dragged for a spell just for good measure.

Magda Bor had a spectacular black eye as well as a fat lip, while it looked like Gorsini's nose had been broken, again.

They all sat in the refectory of the Raven's Nest, a dining room off the scullery, where those patrons who found the company of the Common Room to be overly raucous or loud might have a bit of peace as they ate. The room was still in the midst of renovation and the wooden beams and panelled walls smelled of beeswax and linseed. Many of the small glass panels used to make up the sash windows had been cracked and broken over long years of neglect, and a couple of Gnomish glassblowers had been commissioned to conduct repairs. The work was still incomplete though, so the windows yet remained boarded up, which was fine with Ashunara, as it offered further protection from eavesdroppers, and still kept out any intruding cold drafts and drizzle from outside.

The room itself was large enough to accommodate her Company and kept cosy and comfortable by the fire set in the grange. Maggie had insisted on using coal as fuel today, claiming that true flame was somehow more hearty for an eatery and better suited than witchfire to warming the inglenook, and the Captain had to admit she did enjoy watching the fiery glow of the hot embers.

The chamber had stout tables and furniture enough to seat the gathering and given it was removed from prying eyes it was well suited to Ashunara's needs and so she had temporarily commandeered it for her purposes.

Maggie, Cassie and Ellén, who had merrily taken upon herself a role as barmaid, much to the delight of Iris who was glad of the help, and of many of the patrons who found the slender blonde more than merely easy on the eye, had bustled about serving drinks and food to those gathered, before settling themselves at a table near the kitchen door to listen to the Captain's spiel. Personally, Cassie was just a little more than curious to see what happened the first time an intoxicated patron slapped the girl on the posterior or attempted a sly grope as she went by. Though she was hoping the result would be merely humorous rather than cataclysmically fatal. She had considered telling Narissa that the pretty blonde was in fact a young Dragon, but she just couldn't think on a way to broach the subject that did not inspire a reaction of utter panic and fear, and so she had remained silent so far.

Ashunara had claimed the room to hold an impromptu council of war, in preparation for the upcoming campaign, and sellsword and slave alike lounged in the many chairs or leaned over the plates and platters that festooned the tables as they polished off the fine luncheon that had been laid out for them. Once again Maggie had done them proud, and there had been appreciative noises as they tucked into bowls of meaty pottage and mortrew, with hot fresh loaves and butter, washed down with a tankard of good dark Dwarven porter.

Though Gorsini and Magda were seated closest, she had gestured for the others to sit themselves as was their want while she nimbly perched herself upon a table near the front so she could address them easily enough.

She looked about and grinned at the somewhat eclectic group arrayed before her, and though she was concerned over a few of the logistical aspects the upcoming march presented she had no fears as to the internal fortitude or the mercenary and homicidal character of those in her Company.

Towards the back of the chamber sat Azure and Lashelle, with the Half-Elven girl Dana seated between them looking about with a mix of curiosity and apprehension clearly written in her expression. Lashelle seemed to be chatting amiably with the girl while Azure sat with a lazy, predatory smile curling her lips. Ashunara grinned as she noted how the ever-canny scout had turned the chair so that its wooden back protected her midriff. Seeing the grin Azure gave her Captain a sly wink.

Nyx and the swordsman Claíomh sat with Elsadore and Varoona and seemed to be arguing about beer, or swords, maybe both, you could never be sure with them. But from the laughter and Varoona's embarrassed blushes, it looked as though Elsadore may also have been relaying the story of how the younger Dark Elf had recently taken a crossbow quarrel to the buttocks, and she was clearly shaking her head in good-natured refusal to show off the offending wound, much to the obvious disappointment of the audience.

Quintus sat with Tallis and Lily, and Ashunara chuckled as she saw the young man staring at the silver-lined flask he had been given by Nyx.

The veteran had sought him out and presented the thing with a broad smile, "Here you go lad, I made promise to fetch you a bottle of best whisky when we made it to the city, and I'll not be accused of being a welcher."

The flask was beautifully engraved in silver, with a fine silver cup for a stopper and from its weight was clearly filled with some fiery liquor, and Nyx slapped the man on the back as he stared at the thing, "You saved my friend lad, that's not something to be forgotten lightly," she grinned as she moved back towards her seat, "enjoy the booze, but don't drink it all at once. The bloody stuff's enchanted and it'll probably knock a skinny runt like yourself on his arse for a week or more if you're no careful."

Ashunara passed over her own flask to Magda and Gorsini with a grin, "Did you do something to annoy the Overseer?"

Gorsini looked away while Magda blushed and muttered something barely intelligible.

Ashunara shook her head with a sigh, but her eyes glittered with cheerful mischief, "You know if this was foreplay, I'm fairly certain you're doing it wrong."

The Human woman grinned as she accepted the flask and took a swig, "It was more in the nature of a personal wager Captain."

"Who won?"

Gorsini winced as he felt his mangled nose, "I fink we called it a dwah."

Muriah couldn't help herself and burst out laughing.

"Fine, fuck it, I'll ask no further. When we're done here go see Lashelle and she'll sort you out with a healing draught. That should take care of your bruising and any other petty ailments, she'll likely want to reset your nose first Gorsini, but I know from personal experience she has a gentle enough touch, so you'll be in good hands."

He gave her a battered-looking grin, "I've had wurths."

"Even so, we march at dawn on the day after tomorrow, and I'd prefer no walking wounded this early."

The Captain eyed the three of them, "Right, let us get down to business, will you hear my offer?"

Magda frowned, "I did not think you needed to make any offer to us Captain. Are we not collared and bound to serve?"

Ashunara shook her head with a wry grin, "Fuck that noise. I'd sooner put my faith in Nyx's dice than trust an unhappy slave who's been forced to stand at my side with a blade. Besides, we're all sellswords are we not, we know the score. Let's leave such idiocy to others."

Gorsini's grin revealed a missing tooth, but he nodded nonetheless, "Leth hear your pitch then."

"T'is simple enough, I want you to fight for me. You're too good to waste on whatever fuckwittery they'd have you doing here, and I need good swords. So, you tell me, what's it going to take?"

Magda frowned, "Would the Overseer not have a say Captain, for she is the one who owns us after all?"

Ashunara held up the scroll in her hand with a vulpine smile, "Yes, she made mention of that in this missive. Here, I'll relate the pertinent passages for your enlightenment," she cleared her throat theatrically and read, "Captain, please get these two lovebirds out of my hair, if I am forced to watch them making moon-eyes at each other for very much longer I'm like to cut my own throat in despair at their sentimental antics. Should you find some use for them I would be obliged, they claim some small skill at arms, but I just watched them fight and I remain unconvinced."

Magda snorted in annoyance, but Gorsini simply chuckled and took a swig from the flask.

The Captain grinned and looked at Muriah as she continued, "As for Muriah, t'is true she's your problem and not mine, and she's vexing to boot, but if it please you Captain I would appreciate it if you would look out for her as circumstances and fortune allow. You need not feel obliged to tell her of my feelings on this matter, but in truth, I'd prefer to have her back in one piece. She's, well, you know... Do this for me and I will consider it a favour owed.

I wish you well Captain Ashunara, noble daughter of House Varro."

She looked up, "I particularly like that last bit," she shook her head, "well, somebody made an impression."

Muriah said nothing, but her expression was hidden as she turned her gaze towards the fire.

Ashunara studied the younger woman for a moment longer before looking back at the Humans, "So, have you some thoughts?"

Gorsini looked about the tavern and at the other sellswords as he took a moment to consider.

"What's the job?"

"War, of course, t'is the only job we're good for after all."

"Can you offer particulars?"

She nodded, "A moment and I'll attempt to make things clear for all."

The Captain knocked her tankard against the table to attract attention and called out, "Right! Let's get this shitshow moving so we might attend to the more serious business of revelry. As some of you may know the city of Miosgan Meadhba is now besieged by a significant host. The banners have been called and my Company is one of those engaged to travel with a relief column with the intent of lifting this siege and, of course, laying waste to this attacking force. There are those among you who currently wear collars of slavery, indeed, it was by my hand that some of you ended up in bondage in the first place.

"Well, I need swords, and those skilled at arms or magick. I offer you indenture in my Company, which means as far as I'm concerned, those damnable collars become nothing more than fashion accessories, and if anyone from another Company intimates otherwise feel free to send them my way and I will.... reason with them. If you give your oath to serve you will be treated as soldiers under my command and treated with respect in accordance with your rank and skill, that and you will be offered fair wages and equal shares in any booty we seize. Further, once the campaign is over, if you have served faithfully, I will see that you are freed from any further bondage, and those of you who wish it may find service in my House in accordance with your skills and wants, or leave to return to your own lands with my best wishes, letters of safe passage and some coin in your pouches.

"Oh, and just so we're clear if anyone offers service and then breaks their oath, I will personally cut their throat from ear to ear and leave the corpse for the crows, fair enough?"

Gorsini grinned, "Seems pretty clear."

The Captain smiled, "I thought it best we all know where we stand."

Pointing at Gorsini she spoke again, "This fellow asks a fair question. He asks, 'who are we fighting and what are their numbers?' Well, it looks to be a host of Firbolg and Drow, with support elements made up of Ogres and Draugr, and if that isn't enough to be going on with there are reports of a fucking Dragon waddling about, though the veracity of this tale remains uncertain."

Cassie drew a rebuking look from Ashunara when she choked on her ale as Ellén leaned over to her and whispered, "A Dragon? Sounds a bit unbelievable if you ask me."

Claíomh waved a hand and called out, "Captain, what should we do if there actually is a Dragon?"

Ashunara grinned, "Either hope it's not hungry, or that you can run faster than me I should guess."

"That's not very reassuring."

"But you're an adventurer are you not? I heard tales you maniacs killed Dragons for amusement and treasure all the time."

The man nodded sagely, "Ah, that must be them other adventurers. You know, the heroic ones with the magic swords and shining armour, and all that shite."

Adair turned to look at the man, "If we meet a Dragon, I shall ask it to leave us be, mayhap it will be amenable."

Claíomh stared at her for a moment and shook his head, "You know, that's somehow even less reassuring."

The Captain chuckled, "Well, if that fails, we'll just have Quintus blow it up or something."

The wizard spluttered alarmingly, "What?!"

"Oh, I'm sure you'll figure something out."

Ashunara took a swig from her flask and pursed her lips, "Seriously though, I think this will be perilous enough, so I'll not hold it against any of you should you have good sense enough to want no part of it. Some of you have given good service already, or at least have offered me no reason to think ill of you, so I won't see you misused even if you choose to stay."

Claíomh raised his tankard towards Nyx and spoke up, "Well, daft I may be Captain, but Dragon or no, I go where she goes."

Nyx turned to him, "Sentimental idiot," but she grinned and held out her flask to recharge his cup as she spoke.

Dana looked back and forth between Lashelle and Azure. the younger Dark Elf leaned close and whispered, "You don't have to come, you can watch after my house if you like while I'm gone, and we can figure something out later if need be."

Azure gave the woman a sidelong glance and nodded in agreement, "We can do some bounty-hunting when we get back if you fancy."

The Half Elf shook her head with a sigh, "No, it seems you were right about me after all, and we made a deal," she looked back to the Captain and nodded, "I'm in."

Magda looked to Gorsini and after a moment she nodded, but he was a wary sort and so nursed his drink a moment longer before speaking up, "Your offer sounds fair Captain, and I'm inclined to accept, but might I ask how we'd be used before I give answer?"

She nodded, "That's sensible, I was thinking of dividing my command into two troops of a sort for flexibility, I would retain overall command and Nyx would be my second. As Leftenant she would also command my sword-sisters for we know each other's ways and strengths. However, at the risk of inflating your already swollen ego to perilous heights I was hoping you would also accept commission as Leftenant, with Magda as your Sergeant, and command the second troop, comprising yourselves, and those mad adventurers. You have the experience for it, and while you have a reputation as a scallywag of sorts, you also have one as a canny enough leader."

The Dark Elf took another sip of her drink before continuing, "Now, we would also have a company of Orcs with us as well, they are a doughty bunch and good fighters, but I know some Humans have had... issues with their kind. Would this pose a problem to you?"

His snort was one of wry amusement, "Well, I've fought them often enough to know the bastards are tough, and I have no special love for them given how many of my companions they've killed in the past, but neither do I despise them. As you say, they're good fighters," he looked thoughtful for a moment, "my only concern is my grasp of the Orcish language is fairly rudimentary and comprises mostly of insults. Would that not be a disadvantage in giving commands?"

"They speak Common well enough, but you will gain some respect by at least trying to address them in their native tongue, so I would advise making effort to learn, but in the interim, there should be no immediate issue."

The bearded man considered a moment longer before extending his hand, "Your terms are fair Captain, I have no problem in serving under you."

Her vulpine smile was bright, and her eyes sparkled with mischief as she clasped his hand, "Oh, but you already did that in your tent if you recall."

He cast a wary glance at Magda who eyed him with raised brow awaiting his answer, but his laughter was genuine, "Who could forget."

Ashunara gave Magda a conspiratorial wink before turning back to the company once more, "Lily? Quintus? You would both be more than welcome, but there are already places for you here if you choose to stay. You've already both done me great service and more than I can easily repay."

The Sunkissed Elf stood, her hair was golden, and her smile lit the room as she pointed towards the Dark Elf at her side, "To borrow the words of Claíomh Captain, "I go where she goes."

Tallis reached up and took her hand with a smile.

"That's as expected lass, but you'll be serving under Gorsini and Azure as third scout, will that be acceptable to you? T'is dangerous work."

"I prefer my knives, but I can still shoot a bow well enough at need, though I'm no tracker. Will you separate us otherwise though?"

Ashunara laughed, "As long as it does not interfere with your duties you may um, cavort away with whomever you please and to your heart's desire, you lascivious pixie."

The girl blushed alarmingly but nodded happily, "I'll serve."

Tallis muttered with a sly grin, "Damned right you will, especially tonight."

"Quintus? You've already done a lot for me. What say you?"

The young man grinned boyishly and stood, "Well, Captain, when we first met, I thought you nothing less than terrifying, and I was sure and certain that I'd be ruthlessly murdered if I had so much as given you a funny look, but in truth you kept every promise you ever made to me. If you think I'll be of use, then I'll serve, and gladly."

She smiled at the man and raised her tankard in silent salute before turning to Muriah, "And then there is you."

The younger Dark Elf looked back at the Captain, "What of me?"

"Well Muriah, you already said you would come with us, but that was before you knew what we were up against, so I'll not hold you to it should you wish to reconsider. Even so I think y-"

"I'll go."

Ashunara nodded and gave the girl a broad smile, "I thought you might, besides we still have something to settle do we not? Don't think I've forgotten, and I'll not go so easy on you next time, so you'd best be ready when that time comes."

Muriah almost snarled, "I'll be ready you bitc-"

She was interrupted by Nyx who groaned and hit her forehead against the tabletop, "Oh for fucks sake! I should have known better than to take such a wager! Here's your damned money."

"Wha...?"

The captain feigned innocence as she caught the purse, "Hmm? Oh, nothing."

"Were you betting on my temper?"

"As if I would. Now Muriah, it's my thought that you serve me as my armiger, squire, cupbearer, or whatever you want to call it. You will be responsible for setting up my tent, looking after my gear, seeing to my meals, carrying my messages and whatnot."

"So, I'll be your fucking dogsbody, is that it?"

The Captain chuckled, "Well lass, you could look at it that way if you like, but it lets me keep you close by so I can keep an eye on you. You'll be present when I have meetings with my officers and attend to my troops and providing you can hold your tongue at such times, I'll have no issue with you asking questions of me later in private. You could learn a lot if you're clever enough to keep your eyes and ears open and your trap shut. Plus, in all honesty you're the least experienced and least skilled of my soldiers, and it's my habit to keep such recruits close to hand. It was the post Tallis held before you and Varoona before her."

Gortmundy
Gortmundy
767 Followers
12