The Tattooed Woman Pt. 36

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At the bar, the Dark Elf burst out laughing, "Oh man! 'Tis exactly right. You've nailed it on the head sure enough."

The blonde woman scowled at her before turning back to him, "I thank you kindly for the offer man, but I can promise you, we are not... damsels in distress."

"That's for fucking sure," muttered the Dark Elf with a grin.

The blonde woman made a shushing gesture towards her, "So, as I say, I thank you for your most valorous gesture good Sir, but I assure you, we should be fine."

"Should?"

The urchin giggled again.

Chulainn nodded, "I dislike this, but if you are adamant that you need no help than that's fair enough, I suppose, though I'm loath to leave it thus. Still, might I at least trouble you for a drink and mayhap something to eat afore I go?"

"What? Why?"

He frowned and looked about, "This is an inn is it not? I have some coin, though not much. I'd like to buy a drink and to break my fast if you will."

"Fine! What will you have?"

"What have ye got?"

"No idea."

He blinked, "What?"

The woman frowned and her eyes all but blazed, "Do I look like a cook to you?"

"But you're the barmaid are you not."

"If you say so," she pointed towards a doorway, "look, the kitchen is yonder, go help yourself and be quick about it."

He shook his head, "Wait? I have to cook my own breakfast?"

"You want to eat?"

"Well, yes."

"Then best get on with it. If you won't take my advice then on your own head be it, but do not say you were not fairly warned, mortal."

His eyes narrowed, "Uh, mortal?"

But the woman had already turned back to the tables. At the bar the Dark Elf watched him. She was still cleaning the same tankard and her eyes glittered strangely.

He shook his head with a sigh and muttered as he went looking for the kitchen, "Weird fucking place."

Beyond the doorway, the kitchen looked to be well supplied and neatly kept. Certainly, the granges and instruments were spotlessly clean, and it was obvious at a glance that whoever the actual cook was she took pride in her kitchen.

Fetching a ham down from a hook in the larder he deftly sliced away a few strips of the smoked meat, and spying a basket of eggs, he helped himself to a handful.

Back by the grange, he found a pan and was setting it over the flames to heat when a small sound drew his attention.

Behind him, sitting quietly on a stool, was the urchin. She sat there watching him intently with those huge eyes and he grinned as he interpreted her gaze, "You hungry, lass?"

She nodded with a smile.

"Well, what do you fancy then?"

She pointed.

"Bacon? Good choice! Nothing better than bacon for breakfast as my ma used to say. Want a fried egg with it?"

Still smiling, she shook her head.

"Well now, it seems we must work for our breakfast here, so go into the pantry there and fetch a loaf and some butter. There's a good lass."

Grinning, he watched the creature scamper off on her errand and, judging the pan to be hot enough, he set to work. Soon enough, the smell of frying bacon wafted through the kitchen and the girl giggled merrily when she heard his stomach rumbling.

He placed a plateful of fried bacon before her and smiled as she pulled the meat apart with her fingers and began wolfing it down.

Sitting his own platter down across the table from her, he watched a moment and chuckled.

"Dear Gods, take your time there girl, I can always cook ye some more. And did yer ma no show ye how to use a knife?"

The girl looked up and seemed to consider the question before shaking her head.

Looking about he spied a barrel and poured himself a tankard of ale. Eyeing the urchin he nodded at it, "Fancy some? I doubt a wee sup will do ye any harm and 'tis usually healthier than the water to be found in cities, that and I find that salted bacon can cause a wee thirst."

At her nod, he poured a smaller measure into a second tankard and placed it before her, watching with amusement as she first sniffed at it suspiciously before guzzling it happily. Setting the empty tankard down, she wiped her chin and looked up at the man with a confused expression before releasing a prodigious belch.

Chuckling he set about his own breakfast, "Better oot than in, as my da used to say."

...

Hildegard watched Cassie standing in the garden for a while. The girl's shoulders shook, and she didn't have the heart to disturb her. Beside her, Garrow stared up into the clouds with an open-mouthed look of utter amazement.

After a moment she turned to her bodyguard, "Come, Garrow. Let's fetch the lass in from the cold."

The Half-Orc was still looking up at the sky and Hildegard had to nudge her to draw her attention. The taller woman shook herself and blurted out, "That was a Dragon!"

"I didn't see it. Just some bright flash in the sky."

"I did. It was a fucking Dragon or I'm a pixie."

Hildegard gave her a grin, "I think you'd make quite a fetching pixie, mayhap I should ask the seamstress to make you one of those little dresses they favour. I'm sure you'd look pretty as a picture."

The Half Orc sniffed, "That pond looks cold."

"What?"

"Just saying, you know, just in case someone threw you headfirst into it, completely by accident like."

"Fair enough, no pixie dresses."

"No."

"I still say you'd look pretty."

"Ha! I'd look like a great big witless lummox dressed in such frippery."

Hildegard chuckled, "I don't know. One of the servants told me she overheard Lady Schrade commenting favourable upon your physique."

"That bitch! She beat me black and blue yesterday."

"I told you that you need not suffer her abuses. You can hit her back."

Garrow snorted, "I'd have to catch her first. The sneaky wee fucker is fast. Last time we set-to with shortswords, she had it filched out of my hands and fetched me a clout afore I so much as blinked. Then she clouted me again as I fumbled to pick it up."

"But are you learning at her hand?"

The Half-Orc sniffed and muttered unintelligibly.

"Your pardon, Garrow, but I missed that."

"I said aye damn you!"

"Gods you have a temper."

Garrow grunted, "I'm definitely throwing you into yon pond."

...

Cassie turned at the sound of bickering and wiped her eyes. She did not know the taller woman who towered above her, but her face lit as she recognised Hildegard. Surging forward she wrapped her arms about her.

"Hilde! Gods it's good to see you."

Hildegard drew her close and held her tight, "You too, Cassie. We, uh, visited the inn a couple of nights ago, but we must have missed you."

"I was... away."

"Oh, you didn't run off, did you?" She frowned, "Are you in trouble?"

The smaller woman grinned, "I think I'm always in trouble these days, but no, I didn't run off. I've been adopted. I've been adopted twice over. I'm a freewoman now. I," she swallowed and blushed, "I came into some coin, and I wanted to come and buy your freedom, you and Rose, but I was told it was all in hand. I didn't just forget you; I promise!"

Hildegard squeezed her tighter and her eyes blurred, "I know you didn't lass. But I'm doing well enough, and Rose is happy where she is, I promise."

Cassie stepped back and looking her friend over, her eyes widened as she took in the gown she was wearing, "Oh my! You look beautiful! Like some princess from a tale."

The older woman grinned, "Very different from that first day, eh? Wearing torn rags, soaked and stinking from a long march in the rain. I must have looked like some bedraggled rat."

With a grin Cassie nodded, "Those were days to remember were they not? Terrified and captured, chased by Hellhounds and all manner of murderous scallywag. I near died of fright more times than I can count."

"Ha! I think not Cassie. You're the bravest lass I know."

"Oh tosh! I feared for my life, so I did.

"Is that so young lady? Well, I remember you running off chasing some demon hound armed only with a broomstick. Go on! Tell me I'm lying. Then when we all ran into the woods, 'twas you who helped gather the children and..." she paused and her eyes narrowed, "Cassie? What in the Hells are you wearing?"

The girl grinned, "Half a nightdress and an old shawl I found. One of the Dark Elves offered to loan me some knickers, but they didn't fit. I've got a new skirt, but it's back at the inn."

Hildegard shook her head, "Well, the sun will be up soon. Let's get you some breakfast and see you to bed for a while, and once you rise, we'll get you a bath and some clothes. You look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards."

"I was, more or less."

They walked as they spoke and laughed like old friends, and Cassie almost didn't notice the two armoured guards who fell in and followed behind them. But as they descended down stairswells and along passages she finally paused and looked to her friend, "Where are we going Hildegard?"

They had reached a very heavy looking door and the older woman sighed as she nodded to the guards stationed there. One produced a sturdy key and as he unlocked the way Hildegard turned to her with an apologetic look, "To the dungeons, Cassie. I'm sorry."

"What?!"

...

The Dragons arrived with the dawn.

Two entered the tavern in human form and Chulainn eyed them both warily. He had finished his breakfast and delayed a while to wash the plates and pans he had used, before returning to the common room, intent on paying what he owed and taking his leave. The urchin of course had followed him, nibbling on the last piece of crispy bacon he had rescued from the pan for her.

The two men were tall and swarthy, lean but powerfully built, with dark eyes that glittered in the dimly lit chamber. They wore coats of some scale-like armour, and each had a sword belted at their side. One looked to be older, but they shared some familial resemblance. They looked about the bar intently, clearly searching for something, before the older fixed his gaze firmly upon the blonde serving wench.

The younger cast his eyes towards Chulainn for a brief moment before contemptuously dismissing him from his concern.

The old warrior grinned at that, and reaching out he slowly drew the urchin close and moved her behind him, "Best stay behind me lass, these two ruffians look like quarrelsome ne'er do wells unless I miss my guess."

The older of the two stepped forward towards the bar wench and spoke, his voice had a deep, powerful timbre to it and a tone of command that suggested he was not one who was used to refusal, "We have come for you girl."

If the blonde woman was frightened, she showed it poorly, and instead she stared back into those glittering eyes and smiled, "Is that so?"

"It is. Others of our kind have gone to fetch your mother, but I elected to come for you."

"Oh, and why am I so blessed may I ask."

The man smiled, "You are too young to know me, but I am Vortigern, yonder is Rend. I know your mother, and though you may not believe it, I hold her in high regard."

"Then why do you not go to her instead of troubling me?"

The younger man growled and took a pace forward, "Come, just seize the bitch and be done with it. I would be away from the pestilent place."

Chulainn tightened the grip on his spear and moved his stance slightly but paused as the older man rebuked his companion, "Hold your tongue, Rend. We shall be civil for now."

Turning back to the woman, "I came because I hold your mother in such regard. Those who have gone to fetch her despise her and they will not be gentle. But if I know your mother, she loves you above all things and would not see you hurt. if I had gone there, then surely, they would have come here, and she would not want that. I am hoping that you will come with me willingly."

The woman smiled, "Most noble. And should I refuse?"

He sighed, "You are young, and our kind grow stronger with age. If you compel me then I must use force. But I would prefer it otherwise."

The two stared at each other and the air seemed to shimmer between them. Then the Dark Elf at the bar interrupted with a rough shout "Here lads! What are ye having?"

Rend turned his gaze to her for a moment and gave an exasperated snort of dismissal.

"Well lads, if yer no drinking then I think I'll be obliged to ask you to vacate the premises."

The younger man growled, and his eyes glowed hungrily as he stepped towards the bar, "Be silent, insect."

The Dark Elf put down the tankard with a sniff, "Like that, is it?"

...

The Castle of Cats was all but silent when they arrived, for Shalidar had dismissed her guards and servants, knowing resistance, however valiant, would simply lead to their needless slaughter.

Sitting upon her throne the woman was seemingly lost in melancholic resignation as the doors to the great hall were thrown open and they strode in. There were three, two men and a woman, and she knew them well.

With a sigh she watched them come, "Well, at the least I can play at being the good host I suppose."

Rising from her chair she stepped down and gave the three a gracious bow as they approached, "Welcome Lady Scale, Welcome Lords Beithir and Guivre, welcome to the Rathcroghan. How may I make your stay all the more pleasant."

Scale strode forward and with a furious snarl viciously backhanded her.

The blonde woman's head snapped to one side, and she staggered. Scale caught her with a clawed hand that ripped and tore her gown and slapped her again.

"Slut! We have not come to play games! We have come to bring you to your Master, you treacherous whore!"

The two men caught her arms and held her fast as Scale's talons caught hold of her golden locks and jerked her head up. The blazing eyes of the furious creature bore into her and Scale all but spat, "But first he has given us leave to teach you a lesson in humility Shalidar."

She hissed and her smile was wild and savage as she slapped the woman again. The sound of the cracking blow, powerful enough to smash a man's head to utter ruin, echoed like a thunderous whiplash about the hall and her clawed hand tightened and twisted in her hair, causing the blonde woman to give an aggravated hiss.

"Oh, I have waited soo long for this Shalidar. Years upon centuries I have waited for this day, and now, finally it has come."

She moved her head close to the woman and her voice was a venomous whisper, "Typhonus was to be mine! And you stole him from me you bitch! And for that, as much as for your many other offences you shall pay! Demeritus may still pine for you, but I think it only fair if we let our other young Drakes have a turn, eh? Then, when they are done and have spent themselves completely upon you, we shall give you to the Master. Once he has applied suitable correction we shall see if Demeritus will be satisfied with the leavings."

Gently, almost seductively the vindictive creature ran a clawed talon across the blonde woman's cheek, "Others have gone to fetch your daughter. If at any time you feel the need to refuse the attentions of our young males, then please, you merely have to say the word. I'm sure your sweet daughter can take your place after all."

The fair-haired woman raised her head and her blue eyes glittered as she spat in the Dragon's face, "Typhonus would never have lain with a barren hag like you."

Scale let out a shriek of pure unfettered rage and cocking her arm back she punched her foe with every ounce of strength her fury infused muscles could provide. The blow was such that the very hall shuddered about them, and the paving stones underfoot cracked! The blonde woman's head whipped back with a grunt, and perhaps she might have sagged if the two Drakes to either side had not held her fast.

Slowly though, instead of collapsing, she raised her head and gave her tormentor a strange and terrible grin as a single drop of blood spilled from the tiny cut on her lip. The dark ruby droplet ominously trickled down her chin and fell to the floor.

The creature watched it fall, and looking up she smiled, "Thank you."

...

The Crone sat patiently on the steps of the temple when the three Dragons emerged from the mist. They looked about carefully as they drew closer and eyeing their nervous fidgeting she chuckled, "Hello lads, what brings three such fine, tasty-looking, young fellows to my door this day may I ask."

With the sibilant hiss of steel all three as one drew their blades, and the taller looked to his companions, as if trying to draw strength from their presence before speaking, "Avaunt witch! You cannot harm us, for we know your secret!"

The dark figure grinned, "Is that so? Most troubling I'm sure, but if I might be so bold as to ask, what secret of mine is it you think you know?"

The one on the left, the younger she thought, shouted, "We do not fear you!"

"Your sword is shaking."

The taller stepped closer, "Silence! Our Master has warned us of your guiles. They will avail you naught here. He has told us that you cannot harm us unless we first offer you harm in turn, such are the terms of your return. We have come to smash the stone that binds you here. With that anchor removed you will be cast back into the outer darkness, and trouble us no more."

"Is that so?"

With an exasperated sigh the creature rose from her seat and stepped closer to the Dragons. She scratched her nose and eyed them with a frown, "So, you say I cannot strike at you unless you offer me violence first, is that it?"

The tallest of the three hissed and drew himself up, "We know your works Morrigan! You cannot provoke us," turning to his companions he snarled, "ignore her! She is powerless against us."

They made to pass her by, but the Crone gave a merry cackle and held up a finger, "Lads, lads, a moment if you will, and I shall show you the fault in your reasoning."

The Dragon paused, "What fault?"

She slapped him.

"I'm not the Morrigan."

...