All Comments on 'The Tawdry Tangerine Farewell Pt. 05'

by chasten

Sort by:
  • 152 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

I like that Kate is going to twist in the wind getting more and more frustrated by the fact that Rick just doesn’t care anymore. It’ll slowly sink into her entitled brain how much she’s screwed up her life.

Bebop3Bebop3about 5 years ago
I enjoyed

...each chapter and the story as a whole.

Thanks for sharing your work.

gmann57gmann57about 5 years ago

That was as entertaining a story as I think I have ever read here. Thanks for sharing. 5 stars

TajfaTajfaabout 5 years ago
Loved it

Thanks for writing this story, I really loved it.

Hope you return to this in the future perhaps telling what happened a couple of years down the line.

PowersworderPowersworderabout 5 years ago

While I enjoyed it and I liked the rescuing the damsel in distress subplot, the subplot overshadowed the main plot - Kate's infidelity and the aftermath.

The story started with the discovery of Kate's affair, showed snippets of her post-divorce relationship fizzling out, then moved on to her trying to get Rick back. I think it would have been better if you had continued, detailing Molly and Rick getting closer, with Kate feeling frustration then bitter regret as they got married and started a family. Splitting that into a possible future story just lessened this one.

I agree with you on the long slow burn for Kate, as she realises what she threw away. Kate ending up miserable and alone, while Rick and Molly find happiness together... That would have been the real emotional payoff at the end of the story, so the ending as it stands feels a bit anticlimactic.

Regarding multiple first person storytelling... I don't normally mind it, but there were a few scene switches that left me confused as you shifted person. If you write in first person, I think it's best to stick to a single character. It's a powerful device if used correctly, because every other character is seen through the prism of the narrator. You can concentrate on how your protagonist sees the world around him and his perception of your characters and their actions.

KingBandorKingBandorabout 5 years ago
Thanks for a great story

Makes me want to be a better writer.

It was fully satisfying and nothing left me cringing. I even appreciate the personal nature of the mutiple 1st person pov.

But it still feels weird that all three would be telling their story to someone. That's more of a conceptual issue rather than one of execution. It just requires accepting the situation that Rick, Molly and Kate are relaying their stories together for some reason. The execution of each POV was fairly flawless.

KB

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
This is a summary comment on whole. Sorry, anons don’t get a lot of respect, so I am...

...tightly self edited and very selective.

This was, in short, one of the best stories on this engine in a very long time!

I simply do not give 5*....ever...well, almost never. The count remains less than the fingers on my right hand.

Your story-telling was very smooth and thoughtful, characterization was top drawer. I found myself liking the characters and their place in the story.

Please continue, there are at least four good story arcs needing attention. And please consider fleshing out Sammie. She’s still young at this juncture, but in the year or two to follow, she would normally become an important part of Rick and Molly’s world, not to mention Karen’s coming to understand just how screwed up she is....and I even liked her character. Not as a person...she’s vain and reprehensible, but as a character, she’s very well done and representative.

Thank you!

AngelCherysseAngelCherysseabout 5 years ago
Author! Author!

Now that you have given all the pertinent reasons for writing a sequel, I don't have to say a thing - other than how much I enjoyed the story, Thank you!

johntcookseyjohntcookseyabout 5 years ago
No surprise ending...

... but very gratifying. As with all great casts of characters, it’s sad to say farewell. I’m in love with Molly - what a cool girl she is. Katie’s flashes of anger and jealousy where more than adequate comeuppance for her inflated ego. And Gavin was a great addition - a perfectly dosed splash of Tabasco.

By the way, Your descriptions of the various pieces of artwork - Molly’s tattoo, Manning and Her Lovers, Sophia’s portrait, Tori’s table, and finally, Gavin’s centerpiece - left me hungering to see them, and added much depth to the characters and the story.

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Excellent homage to John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee plus very nicely twisted

In lieu of his normal 50% finder's fee, he got the girl for good :-) I enjoyed all of the plays against the Travis McGee backstory, (e.g., the name of the houseboat) Great job!

DaddyWarBucksDaddyWarBucksabout 5 years ago
I think that you took lessons from John D.

Very well written. A real page turner. Your hero Rick seems so similar to Travis with the grey eyes, the house boat with the word Flush in it's name. Maybe Jimmy Buffet will rewrite the song to include the Tawdry Tangerine in the lyrics.

ju8streadingju8streadingabout 5 years ago

only thing missing is kates reaction to rick and molly. her finally seeing how bad she fucked up.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Could almost be a "Travis McGee Episode"

Read many episodes while "vacationing" along the muddy banks of the Mekong Delta.

Good Tempo & Style

Looking forward to the 'Next' chapter

Todd172Todd172about 5 years ago
Very well done...

Interesting characters, good plot and the dialogue was dead on. The John D. Macdonald vibe resonates clearly across the plot and the characters.

Glad you are back, really looking forward to seeing more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
My compliments...

It was a good story, enjoyed it much... one recommendation. The chapters were spread out. I and others read other stories here. After a week, the characters in your story become fuzzy in my memory. I would be very nice if authors would preface each chapter with brief descriptors of each character... surely would help an old person, such as me. 5 stars

FD45FD45about 5 years ago
A nice run

It held my interest though I think JPB could tell the story in 3 pages.

But he would have less characterization, less emotional navel gazing and certainly less wildly graphic sex. Pages of the stuff.

And it seemed slightly uneven as a result. You have Molly planning a graphic bondage scene with cock filled throat, but the slightest whiff of non-consensual and you suddenly get the vapors. Or more insulting, you think •I• get the vapors.

Trust your audience on a PORN SITE, with an entire section on NON-CONSENSUAL to be fucking adults and worry about their own triggers.

But it is your story so...

A good story, a touch stretched like Molly’s throat, but the detail work and characterization was very nicely done

AmbivalenceAmbivalenceabout 5 years ago
Wait until the first time Kate calls Rick when he's at home asking to drop off Sammie early...

he responds, "Yeah, we'll be home", and she connects the dots of we and home when she sees it's just him and Molly at the home.

Liked this story... wouldn't mind more chapters - as long as reconciliation never ends up becoming the case.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Great characters

Good universe for future stories

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 5 years ago
Nice tale and well told.

I am certainly interested in finding out how your characters develop and deal with their individual issues.

You made some great characters and this has been very enjoyable.

Freddog6601Freddog6601about 5 years ago
Nailed it!

Well done. I know the BTB contingent likes tar and feathers but this was done with thoughtful class.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
I don't really think it will matter to Kate...

To me, a relationship is more complex than this. Frankly Kate cheated because she really understood deep down that Rick was not worthy of her. I am sorry, but a sculptor? Fuck them sure, but marry one... never. The world is filled with worthless people who claim they are artists, writer, actors and sculptors. A dime a dozen is actually more expensive than reality, more like a penny a dozen. Artists are by definition living off the fat that really productive people like Kate produce. Without the Kate's of this world there would be no Ricks. Without Ricks...well like I said, a dime a dozen.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Hot

You write sex very well. You write romance even better. Loved it. And absolutely loved the molly/rick loving. Something I'll definitely come back to again. Felt a little unfinished with Kate, but I think that's kind of poetic.

Got to say, I went back and read some of your earlier stuff and realised you submitted them a DECADE ago. Your writing has improved a LOT. Looking forward to more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
4*s

Very entertaining. Well developed characters. Dialog reads well and feels true to the characters. I enjoyed reading the story.

It reminds me of "The Lazy Lemon Sun" by Rehnquist and " When We Were Married" by DanielQSteele. Multi - chapter stories. Long enough for the characters to really develop, for the reader to decide who to like, why to dislike. But the plot and style makes it read quickly.

A very good job chasten 😀👍👏!

Thank you

AMerryman

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958about 5 years ago
Props

I am among those who do not admire multiple first person narrators. I just won't read it. My tastes, and not for everyone. That said, respect for writing a full-blown story. Any writer who takes the time and makes the effort to write a story that isn't just smut or mindless revenge schemes deserves thanks. I do thank you, Randi.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 5 years ago
Good stuff

More would be welcome though this is enough

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionabout 5 years ago
Great story

Excellent storyline and characters, including the minor ones and very well put together. Thank you for the ride.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Really Superb

I'm sure you realize you now have a large audience, and you deserve it.

sdc97230sdc97230about 5 years ago
The best way to "burn" Kate

Simply send her an invitation to Rick's and Molly's wedding. Since Sammie would undoubtedly be the flower girl and going home with her mommy while the happy couple head off for their honeymoon, she'd have to show up.

Wang4Wang4about 5 years ago
Thank You

Don't care if you choose to pursue the BTB route or not. Your ending was very deliberate and suited the story AS YOU LEFT IT.

As another reader stated, your character development was superior

You left this story and its characters many roads to travel. Please permit them to take one or more of them if your imagination so dictates.

Ed

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Five stars

This is a well written story. The sex works, I suspect from either perspective. The lifestyle - boats, yacht club, bars and real estate all ring true for me. Only the violence and deceit are unfamiliar, except for fictional TV and racy novels. But the studio setting and interaction between artists and artists and patrons is what really drew me in. I wish I’d had a studio partner like Molly. But then every sculptor always wants a hot edgy muse - particularly if it’s another artist of equal talent. I am both a portrait painter and a sculptor, have lived a long life in similar circumstances, but with different excitement. This reminds me of Picasso.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Really a good story but not finished

Does he marry molly? , what happens to Kate?

notredame43notredame43about 5 years ago
to anon 4/15 you're a joke

He being a sculptor is unworthy of her? wow i sincerely hope you are sterile and die alone. She did it because shes a narcisstic cunt who needs other people to look at her and say wow look how successful she is look at all the nice shiny stuff she has, etc. i've known people like this and now years later they regret the people they threw away because they werent suitable. Hell one tried to get back with an ex husband she cheated on and he hadnt spoken to her in almost a decade. She was shocked her children with him, which he had custody of, never told him he remarried and had 2 sons with his new wife. it was rather satisfying to see her deflate. This story couldve been written about her. 4 stars chasten

BuckeyebobBuckeyebobabout 5 years ago
Wonderful story

Throughly enjoyable in all the episodes. Great work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
One of the best LW series I have read on Lit in years. (Reminds me of Rendquist)

This story had all the elements, good writing, great character development and interesting storytelling and subplots. The sex scenes were well written, held our interest without out descending into cliches.

Rarely have I read multiple first person's that were easy to follow, flowed easily and had the right length of scenes so you did not get lost in the weeds. I also like how the story ended, with questions and leaving the reader to wonder how things will turnout.

Kate is your "typical" driven exec, whose keeps score by money and status, she has a daughter (check the box) but she can't manage her ego that her husband is wired differently and not motivated by money. Unless she is married to another high earning professional, she feels embarrassed. He may check all the other boxes, but not that one. Through the entire story Chasten shows other couples and families communicating and adjusting vs. the inability to Kate to deal with her insecurities about Rick. It clear as day, but you can't rebuild some bridges, it's just not another problem that can be solved by intent and money. Rick is done with Kate, and she will be the last person to realize it.

Rick may not be motivated by money, but he is the parent who is available for his daughter. He is the resourceful man who figures out how to save Molly from the crap weasel, Connor. It's also interesting that all the other couples recognize his quality and abilities so clearly. Kate, will learn too late, you don't know what you have got until it's gone.

Will he and Molly get married and start another family and be happy? Hopefully, if they communicate and understand the shared sacrifice, communication and compromise that make a marriage, work.

Thanks again, for such a great story.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 5 years ago
Very Nice

Five stars, and I'm NOT going to rehash the multiple POV issue.

I AM going to once again say that inter-weaving the two stories, IMHO, was a mistake.

If I had been editing, I would have had you tell Rick and Kate's story, Molly entering as necessary, such as to bring Leah, Sophie and Victoria in.

Then a second story focusing on Molly and her troubles with Connor, Rock and Leah eventually helping, as here, ultimately ending as here.

While the time between chapters wasn't bad, it WAS long enough that I don't remember Kate breaking up with Scott!

AZTT1AZTT1about 5 years ago
Awesome and had that Travis McGee feel

This was a hell of a ride. Thank you for such interesting characters and an intricately woven story.

hindsight2020hindsight2020about 5 years ago
Most awesome!!

One of the best since "When We Were Married."

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Outstanding

Imagine that, an erotic story on LW that’s both intelligent and emotionally satisfying. 5 stars

LeFrog08LeFrog08about 5 years ago
I enjoyed this.

The whole T.T.T.F. series was quite entertaining

with really interesting character development.

My thanks to the author.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Fresh

This was a reasonably good story; a bit too long with some wasted space, but good ideas. Katie got dropped off to quickly with any endings implied. Rick did well and did win the prize and most did get tied together.

Keep up the work!

T.T.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Nice work

Liked your work . All the drugs bothered me a bit but I am old and never used any. Please keep writing . Thanks gramps52

DarkerBindingDarkerBindingabout 5 years ago
The only hard part...

Was waiting for the next chapter ;)

I think the ending is good. We don't need every thread tied in a neat bow. We know what is going to happen with Kate... realization of a horrible mistake and no way back.

Molly and Rick together just works... thank you.

ribnitinribnitinabout 5 years ago
new word for me

"soft chatoyancy of the timber"

I never expected to expand my vocabulary on Literotica.

SlithyToveSlithyToveabout 5 years ago
Re: Anon "I don't really think it will matter to Kate..."

Clearly, you have no idea how the world works. Sculpture and sculptors are about the creation of content, as is, for example, this story. Content arrives and then gets turned into movies, plays, TV, etc., which are a not insignificant portion of the economy, comprising over three-quarters of a trillion dollars. In fact, the arts contribute more the the GDP of the US than does agriculture, and the last time I checked arts and culture exports accounted for a $20 billion trade surplus for the US in that area. The median "pay" for a fine artist in the US is about $49k a year, compared to the median average of all workers of about $39k.

Yes, there are tons of unsuccessful artists, just as there are tons of unsuccessful lawyers, salesmen, and grunt workers in corporations. So what? I personally know close to a dozen people in real life -- both male and female -- who are executives and are happily married to artists of one type or another. One of them -- an executive significantly further up the food chain than Kate -- is also an excellent sculptor himself, who has done very well for himself in sculpture sales after retiring from his industry position.

Nothing against them, as I've many friends who have been there, but sniggering pronouncements about the importance of VPs to the economy or much else are utterly laughable.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Bravo, chasten! Great job.

Wow...just WOW!

What a delight that you're contributing to LW again. (I'll go back and read all of your prior posts, enjoying them, I'm sure.)

Here's to you having a prolific LW future, too, sir.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
One of the best tales ever

Keep up the good work ...great mix of story and sex but not over Bering in ether

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Thanks!

You wrote an interesting story and posted quickly so we didn't lose the story thread.

I'm still waiting for stories from others and it's frustrating to not get the end of a story.

You have left many threads dangling and any one of them could go out on its own. The lesbians, the married friends, Sophia, Leah, Kate, Scott, Gavin, even Connor are interesting enough to have their own story.

One thing, Kate is doing quite well at burning herself, no need for help from the readers. She also has her Mom and Dad to remind her. She could go through some changes and come out a different person, hopefully better. It'd be too easy to just turn her into smoke.

Connor has a way to go to recover. I see a sweet but larger nurse 's aide helping him to see himself as he really is. Maybe he falls in love but she dumps him because he still hasnt changed. Maybe worse. But he's more fun alive than dead or incarcerated.

R.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Read it, voted it, liked it and I'd do it again.

A great story, chasten, well told with engaing characters, believeable dialogue, good pacing and an interesting plot. The resolution was well handled too and I appreciate the restraint you exercised in not cramming Kate into the mix. Although it would have been nice to witness her remorse and recognition of her loss, her arc was moving like her growth of self awareness, at a slower speed. It was a good decision not to force the pace.

Thanks for an all round entertaining read.

5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
John D. Fan

As a very long time John D MacDonald fan You have done a wonderful job of imitating his story lines, pace and grip on the reader!!

Many Kudos!!

johnadpjohnadpabout 5 years ago
Again, Very Well Written

Cool line, "girl-next-door than grunge-next-door." I can take a small tattoo or two on a woman. Whole body tattoo, nothing sexy to me beyond a possible one night stand- just cause it's different. And nothing less feminine or unattractive to ME than a woman dressed feminine in a dress with tattoos everywhere around it (like Molly on her dinner date). A lot of tattoos with jeans and a tshirt on a woman looks ok, dressed feminine it looks like a man in drag (again my taste, I realize other men like it- to each their own).

To me this was much more of a story of incompatibility than anything else. Rick and Kate didn't belong together. She's right brained, he's left. She's driven, overachiever, self-actualized extrovert. He's laid back, comfortable living off of wife and daddy, introvert. Rick and Molly make an ok couple, I didn't feel that much spark between them, but at least they have similar interests and background. Kate needs a man she can respect by her own measuring stick standards. Doesn't make one better than the other (except for him living off of her and daddy), just incompatible.

I find "artists" (and I use that term very loosely as wayyyy too many people call themselves that) pretty superficial and uninteresting. They tend to be left brained, illogical creatures, incapable of deductive reasoning, who talk a lot of very far-left wing nonsense (I'm moderate so not the other extreme), and think you're greedy because you don't want to pay a ton of taxes to subsidize their inability to make a living at "doing what they love." Rick was the perfect example of that with his "integrity" bullshit declining to take commercial commissions a few times a year to make a living for his family.

Men reading this story simply need to ask themselves, how many times they put up with a job they didn't like, boss they didn't like, because they had responsibilities, ESPECIALLY if they had a family to support. Rick could still follow his dream and do what he loved, just had to compromise a little bit by taking two or three paid commercial commissions a year to help support his family? He should have had a little more male pride than simply saying my wife makes a lot of money, so we're not going to starve.

I have a good female friend who makes more than ten times her husband. He makes like $50,000 a year, but she pays for everything, even his car payments. And he constantly badgers her if he could quit his job (wants to surf all day). She insists that he works at least for his pocket money. I'm sure she loves him, but I know for sure she doesn't respect him. She constantly snaps at him and talks to him with disrespect. She and I dated a long time ago and not once when we dated did she talk to me with disrespect. A woman is not going to respect a man that cannot provide for his family. Temporary setbacks are one thing. Years and years of it with no hope of change, she isn't going to respect him.

As far as Kate feeling like she lost something. Even if you're sure you did the right thing divorcing, if you were to see your ex you had a child with, wouldn't a part of you wistfully look back and think, "wish we could have made it work?" As more time passes we are more likely to look back on relationships with rose colored glasses. Good aspects get magnified and bad aspects diminished. I didn't see Kate's reflection at the end of the story anything more than that.

Not condoning her cheating. Just simply stating that these two didn't belong together long term. The differences they find interesting in one another lose their luster after a short time. Relastionships that work long term are ones where we have a lot in common with someone, not differences.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Intriguing and slightly unconventional. Love it!

Being somewhat of an admitted 'old fogey' I have found the trend of popularity of tattoos quite disconcerting to me but this story makes me wonder what it might be like to have sex with a beautiful woman with a full body art work on her body. Great story!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 5 years ago
Living Off Her and Daddy?

Yes, he had a trust fund - that he didn't touch! He refused alimony, and only used child support to set up a fund for his daughter.

He was supporting himself QUITE comfortably, thank you very much!

C_frommnC_frommnabout 5 years ago
Just found

The story Yesterday. Read it and was amazed at the characters. Really liked the way he Dumped the wife and then how she reacted when she found another on his arm. Personally I would like to read about how Kate is doing 5 to 10 years down the Road. with Rick & Molly married having a kid or 2 . Her still single.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 5 years ago
Continuation?

While these are good characters, and I have no doubt that interesting stories can be written about them, IMHO the story here is complete.

Rick and Molly are together. Yeah, you could put them through some hoops first, but why? What did they do to you not to deserve the happiness they bring to each other?

Of course, you COULD have then fall apart, but again, do they deserve that?

It's also obvious that Rick, if not moving to the tippity top of the art world, is becoming the kind of success more than Kate could have dreamed of.

Kate? I don't think even Rick wants her burned. If she hasn't already, she will soon realize the folly of her ways. She will then either marry again for love, this time realizing that that's all that really counts, or will do the self-analysis needed to realize that she needs a man like her, who may not love her as much as he loves climbing the ladder of success, and learn to live with that.

The only unconventional follow-up that I see is to do a Todd, and do as some have suggested, write a story about Gavin, ideally a back story or stories about how he got to be who he is.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Really Enjoyed It

Many thanks. Interesting, if unlikely, story and well-written without lots of dumb ('I need an editor but I don't want one') mistakes.

It's a romance but I don't see Molly as reliable marriage material for Rick. He says she isn't a slut but she isn't so sure!

PortnoyishPortnoyishabout 5 years ago
Bravo

The color title. Tall. Gray eyes. Houseboat. The Nut Flush. Slip F-18. Lysa Dean. The Quick [Red] Fox. Did I miss any references? I think the pickup wasn't because it wasn't described as blue. I feel like Ron Easterling might have been but can't remember him in any of the originals.

Anyway, just having fun down memory lane. You had the "feel" of the originals without cloning them either in plots or characters. It felt entirely original. Truly an homage.

I really enjoyed this. I hope you'll continue it one day, whether linearly with R/K/M down the road, or some of the interesting supporting cast.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Not just a stroke story

Well written, it had elements of drama and suspense. You did get a little long winded on the erotic elements. I confess I skimmed over some paragraphs. Nevertheless less a 5* story. T,Y for writing.

CaOldDogCaOldDogabout 5 years ago
Awesome 5* story

Great writing of a fantastic story. I wish it was longer ;-) but it was great to the end. Looking forward to any stories you give us!

meucimeuciabout 5 years ago
very entertaining

Great job in a way I wished you would have burned his wife, but this was good too.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Really good, mostly. Really, too many good points to name them all, so I will point out a few detractants.

It is tedious and frustrating for an author to refer to some commercial work of art to convey what the author lacks the writing ability to communicate in his own words. "She purred like Garbo, when Bogart kissed her on the back of the neck." "He had the same look on his face as Brad Pitts when Angelina lets her chemise slide to the floor." We really want to know and read what You think and imagine, not present a crutch from some other artists. You want a woman who tries to dress and act like some female celebrity, or a woman who has the confidence and wit to be totally and genuinely herself?

The sex scenes and techniques and manipulations make your characters appear more interested in the physical and biochemical than the intellectual and romantic aspects of their interaction. No, NO, its not a "porn site." Its a literature site that uses graphic uninhibited sex to illuminate and make more real the emotional and intellectual bond, or cruelty, within a relationship. Romeo and Juliet could only be made better by a tasteful but graphic description of their marriage night. But to describe every inch of every stroke of every fuck every minute, well, it does then become just another porn story. You are a better writer, and more importantly, a stronger thinker, than that.

So thanks for a decent story. Kind of shallow, but then so are the characters. Kate loves money and prestige, Molly loves tattoos and sex, and Rick loves nothing all that much, as far as I can tell. Molly seduced and won him after Kate thought she was done with him. I wouldn't be surprised if Molly telephones Kate, maybe years later after getting the kids to bed, to say, "Now I know why you lost your respect for him. He's really an adequate husband, father, and artist. He could be great, and certainly has spurts of greatness. But mostly he's content with being pure, and adequate. So I guess I will have to be too. I'm not making the same decision you did, at least not until after the kids are grown and gone. Just wanted to let you know that I now understand, and sympathize."

johnadpjohnadpabout 5 years ago
@Humphrey28 Brand Protection

Yes, great artists never took on commissioned work to make a living lol. Only almost all the great artists throughout history that did portraits of wealthy patrons or some church to either get patronage or simply a payout. But then who remembers Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Renoir, etc, etc, etc.

Who today remembers the Mona Lisa or the Sistine Chapel? After all they were commissioned work. Most artists had wealthy patrons and they often did the work asked of them. But their talents still came across.

Saying a male should have pride is misogynistic? Are you a fucking millenial where everything is racist or sexist?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
jump in class

I have enjoyed this author's other work, but for me,this is a real step up, probably reaching professional-level writing. Very nice characterization, and a nice plot. I guess everyone has their own ideas about what constitutes realistic in a suspense story, but I thought the plot was very true to the characters and I don't know what else one can ask. Everyone got what they deserved, in a timely fashion, at least as far as the word-count is concerned. I don't know how this stacks up in terms of length (novella, I would guess), but it could use a little expansion in some of the scene setups (a fair amount of reading between the lines,) if the author decided to turn it into a real novel.

Nothing to do with my feeling about the writing, but it is always fun when the story takes place in my neck of the woods, and this story has some nice details to give it a sense of "place."

This was 5* for me.

notme

notmenopenotme@mail.com

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Homage to John D. MacDonald

This story was flawless. As said before me, the character development was magnificent. It blows my feeble attempt at a story with homage to the late, great Raymond Chandler for “One Night in La Jolla Beach”. I am certain you could write it with flair. Kudos!

ejsathomeejsathomeabout 5 years ago
I was so disappointed . . .

. . . that it ended. Very, very enjoyable, for sure. 5 easy stars, and you deserved more. Thanks very much. I would have liked to see Kate continue to suffer a bit more, and I would have enjoyed seeing more details about a messy break-up with Scott, but that's a minor complaint - maybe stuff for a future story. I look forward to more of your writing.

pcman1950pcman1950about 5 years ago
Stellar Ride

What a fine ride.... even though it involved Hogs! ;D

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

This is one of the absolute best series I've ever read here on Lit. Thank you for sharing you wonderful storytelling with us.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Exceedingly well written

the whole series was exceedingly well written. I didn't vote until I completed all 5 chapters but will give all 5 chapters 5 stars.

The descriptive narrative was intelligently written, believable, and with such use of the English language in painting a portrait in each scenario, that all I keep uttering as I read was "WOW!: Your descriptive abilities are astounding. Reading your narrative was like watching a virtual reality scene play out right in front of me, except you were able to do it with words that not only painted a picture but evoked a wide range of emotions, which is really hard to pull off, unless the writer has a real mastery of the language, knowing how to best pull the reader into the middle of the drama.

Congratulations on a work very well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
great read

very well done I enjoyed it all

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Actually

I'm kind of glad you didn't burn Kate. A quick flame and then it'd be over and she'd go on with her life justifying herself that Rick is an asshole and she did the right thing. We saw that for a moment in one of the chapters. If it's like my state, six years of alimony (one for every year of marriage) which wouldn't really hurt her and she'd get to feel vindicated and absolved of any blame.

This way she gets to go on realizing more and more each day that while he may not have been her ideal man, nobody is perfect and he came pretty darn close to what she wanted. In fact much closer than she ever realized - her mother was right that she never really saw him. A guy who was 'go along to get along' with her drive rather than someone who is going to fight with her for alpha status actually seems better suited.

Some people wanted a bullet to hers and Scott's heads. Shrug. Then he'd be in jail and his daughter would be effectively an orphan. Yeah that's being a good parent. Oh well, it's America where guns solve everything from infidelity to hangnails.

On that note I'd like to have seen more of Sammie but I realize that this story already had enough major characters. You made it clear in words that Sammie's important to him and that he is concerned about her experiencing her extended family. We can wait for the sequel which YOU WILL WRITE (pay no attention to the droids) to witness his day to day with her and also how Molly will deal with her.

Bravo.

tompo296tompo296about 5 years ago
Thank You

What an excellent story, well told. I really enjoyed it. You have really left an easy opening to do a sequel on 'Katie' from her demise and liaison with 'Scott', to how she approaches what she sees in how 'Rick' has come to terms with the divorce and how he has moved on.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Billy Cobham

Good story, but I've yet to hear a Billy Cobham song that had "just a simple beat" to dance to. As a drummer, he's always been about syncopation and complex rhythms.

tangledweedtangledweedabout 5 years ago
John D. MacDonald should not be a guilty pleasure.

There should be zero guilt involved in enjoying John D. MacDonald stories. He was a great author, regardless of the pulp genre he became famous for. He would sneak these little nuggets of writing gold into his stories that made you stop and go "Damn, that's good."

Loved your characters (Molly especially) in this story and the judicious use of the menacing Gavin was well done. As much as I respect the military, the next time I read about another ex-Navy Seal exacting revenge, it will probably be too soon. Outsourcing the muscle made sense and not making it as easy as one phone call to find, made it more realistic as well.

Another pet peeve of mine has always been books and movies pushing their political agendas, but your subtle Ann Rand dig was so deftly placed that it made me smile. In a story filled with the rich and famous, it was a target rich environment for social commentary, yet you allowed the wealthy and artistic characters to play out like real people.

As strange as it might seem to complain about sex scenes in an erotic story site, I did feel that the story could have been tightened up by leaving out the details of an encounter or two. I didn't actually mind seeing the Katie character being developed, as far too often in Loving Wives tales we only get a glimpse of the cheating ex as a faceless, evil entity and never know why they acted the way they did.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Waited Until

Reading all 5 chapters to make a comment and it is simply....thank you for a great story! A 5 from me and I am ready for your next tale!

"Buckeye Fan"

newtinmplsnewtinmplsabout 5 years ago
I'm glad you left the Kate part hanging....

Rick's story is the story, and she is a minor character by her own actions. Yes, you could write a follow up blah blah blah but I like this way; it's kind of a TTFN with the finger from Fate.

Loved the descriptions of the artwork, and the mention of how ridiculously under priced any work is when considered as pay for the number of hours the whole thing took.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Life's little margins...

I absolutely loved it... master piece of how we are in many ways so much alike. But our differences are more of inches then miles. I liked how you humanized the Bitch so that there was compassion for her, but allowed us to dislike her choices. I also loved how you made her not do the 360, but allowed her to change at a more realistic pace. Loved the rest for different reasons, it allowed a plot line to develop other characters, and of course Molly. It also gave the time to creep along as natural filler. I found there was a simile between the Bitch and the Blackmailer.. Could be wrong there, but I thought it was nice to split the hatred a bit instead of going completely MGTOW.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Ending ?

I've waited until I finished all the chapters to leave a comment.

Firstly let me say that I enjoy your writing and I really enjoyed this story. Yes, there are personalities which grate but that's bound to happen in any lengthy story.

What I most enjoyed, was that the character of Rick, whilst by no means a Saint, maintained both his dignity and principles.

Personally, I find a cheating wife or husband to be quite the most despicable of characters. Why marry in the first place ?

The only nagging disquiet I have and it seems to be limited to me, is the fact that women seem unable to keep personal information secret.

I look forward to reading more of your work [especially ones where the characters respect their partners]. Regards.

tennesseeredtennesseeredabout 5 years ago
Great story!

Memorable characters and smart dialogue put this in the upper 0.1% of LIT-ware. I hope you've got more in the hopper.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Great except

. . . for the tattoos. I hate them and can’t for a moment accept them as art. But other than that, a nice fantasy.

kmreaderkmreaderalmost 5 years ago
Loved This Story

Really enjoyed this story and I am satisfied with the ending as is. I wouldn’t mind seeing a part two to this story down the line should you choose to pick it back up as you alluded to in your post notes. Great job with this one.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
The best read I've had this summer

I loved this obviously.

While respecting that others have their own opinions, I totally disagree with the "Kate's toast, just move on" sentiment one or two have. Sure, you could have done that, and then we'd have had a lackluster LW story just like 99.9% of all the others in the category. What made this special was the time to flesh out the main characters, even the ones we weren't supposed to really like. I DO agree with the person who commented that they like that you made Kate human and that we could empathize while disapproving of her. Yes! I don't like her, she made shitty choices, she's a Bitch, but I feel for the pain she brought on herself.

Ditto that Rick - flawed in some ways - and Molly - flawed in others - come across as totally human, not paragons of virtue.

Very human characters in a very human story, even if it is a fantasy.

More please!

LoejtcLoejtcalmost 5 years ago
One of the new top LW authors

This author is an accomplished writer. Broad vocabulary, clear concise sentences, good flow, interesting characters, provocative storyline, what's not to like?

I did rate it 5 star overall.

I thought the length was somewhat inappropriate for the lack of complexity of the plot. Just too drawn out. The plethora of characters was confusing. Lastly, the subplot of the divorce that put the story into the LW genre was secondary to the romance that developed after the divorce between Rick, the rejected husband, and Molly, the girl that loved him from afar but would never show it because she respected his marriage vows.

Had some finality occurred between Molly and Rick so that Katie, Rick's ex, experienced the loss of her true love due to her own arrogance, the LW tag would be warranted. But the author chose to neither state that Rick and Molly became a permanent couple nor that Rick rejection of his ex's plan for reconciliation was absolute. Either result would have made the story a far more rewarding read.

Some narrative demonstrating a strong bond developing between Molly and Rick's young daughter, Samantha, would have been interesting. Since Samantha lived with Rick and Molly was his best friend and shared an art studio with him, the proximity of the Samatha and Molly could lead to a strong friendship. Molly would welcome the relationship as it would enhance her chances of winning Rick's love. The relationship would also be more than a minor annoyance to Rick's ex.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Brilliant!

Not much to add to my title except a thank you for hours of entertainment.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 4 years ago
Refreshing

End to end, a very enjoyable story - or stories if you view it from each character’s perspective. I liked that the different perspectives didn’t overlap, it brought a different sense of completeness to the big picture. Letting Kate figure out how terribly she’d behaved, and how badly she’d underestimated Rick, was a great choice. Having daddy’s girl deal with her father’s disgust; then having her mother tactfully explain how she’d been completely self-absorbed and totally misread Rick - brilliant!

Ultimately, Rick taking the high road was perfect. He got the girl who understood him, loved him, and accepted him as he was. Molly presumably landed in a better place, where she can be herself without drugs. Kate... had to live with regularly seeing what she discarded; lots of time for painful introspection; and only her daughter to share her money and life.

steeltiger01steeltiger01over 4 years ago

Thank you for a beautiful story. That was a hell of a ride, and worth every minute. As a long-time MacDonald fan, I particularly enjoyed the McGee references you slipped in. I'm married to a 'burgh girl, so that's an added lure here ...and I'm almost positive that my wife is going to like this story, too.

Your characters are believable, human and real. They speak like actual people, and have strengths and foibles - which is a little unusual in many stories here. I appreciate that you gave us a solid tale of people being people, and growing as they go.

Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

TatankaBillTatankaBillover 4 years ago
First class...

...from start to finish. I enjoyed every word of it and didn't want it to end.

BentNotBrokenBentNotBrokenabout 4 years ago
Fan^#$ingtabulous!!!

Clever, witty, heartfelt, sexy, sharp, fantastic character development and backstories. What else can be said??? More, please!!!

crazycujocrazycujoabout 4 years ago
Fantastic!

An awesome story that delivered the goods! Lots of references to Travis McGee made it even better. Thanks and think about continuing the story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
OH, SO TOP SHELF.

You almost lost me in the 3rd part, obviously I'm in the minority when it comes to drugs and that sort of shit, life is too short do f about with a loaded gun, and regardless nothing beats the true feel of uninhibited sex, or music or life.

A part 6 or more would be great even an off shoot would work well.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Loved it

Would like to see this continued. Even though you provided the general direction your characters will go, I'm sure there would be bumps and detours along the destination to explore. Plus good to check in with your characters. Great writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Yes please to a continuation

Great rollicking yarn, nice edge of seat stuff with lots of opportunity for things to go wrong. 🌟⭐️🌟⭐️🌟

argeelogargeelogabout 4 years ago
Love to read more of this tale

5 stars for a great job keeping us entertained...just like with Travis McGee. Yeh I read all his stuff too !

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Loved this story please continue

Well written and planned. Perspectives flowed better than many other attempts I’ve seen at this type of mechanism. Frankly it seemed to enhance the whole thing. As a reader I do feel a continuation would be great. That’s definitely my vote/hope.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Full marks for Brilliant Story!

Reaction to – “The Tawdry Tangerine Farewell” This is one of the best stories I ever read on the Literotica Website. I. Love when you write about art because I can get carried away and for a while forget this is actually an erotic literary story. I. Read the entire 5-parts – the Novel I should say. You’re a damn good writer. Thanks for sharing and yes I think the BTB as you’ve handled it here WORKS. Because Rick is not one of those rubbishes and would not go all Scorched earth on the mother of his girl Sammie. She made her bed ... her mistake and Let her stew in what she has lost. He actually says at the end to Molly. I’m so glad that Kate was unfaithful ... that she cheated because it finally brought him to Molly WHO secretly wanted him for a long time BUT because she does not cheat WAITED her turn! I like VERY MUCH! Full Marks – Five stats all the way!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Mon, ... I, I just luv it’s, mon

Me no man fo lots words but yo have the Jaya. Yo storie is lovely.

Five fat and tasty Spliffs from me.

Thumbs‘ar up, mon

steppinontoessteppinontoesalmost 4 years ago
Finished or not

It’s great as is, but really hope you continue it.

NoWriterINoWriterIalmost 4 years ago
Well done!

Speaking as a long time reader of John D. MacDonald, you did him proud.

management91399management91399almost 4 years ago

Coming in a few years after publication and enjoying reading through the comments from all authors I very much enjoy reading and following on this site, kind of a cool vibe there. I have to saw most of sbrooks comments resonated the most with me. But first the good stuff. I NEVER like reading song lyrics or references in these stories with the possible exception of the tale of the man who communicated his feelings with his gal through CDs he sent her in different colored boxes. (And I'm too lazy to look that up right now but I'm sure people will figure out that story). Yet here it really worked, so much so as I read i you tubed the tracks and played them while reading. That never happens for me. The other thing I pretty much love is the way the Ayn Randian professional woman had her little implosion in this tale. I mean seriously the most ridiculous BS I ever read in my life is Dagny going into that friggin train tunnel (paging Dr Freud!) and spreading it for John Galt while he single handedly builds a railroad. And Kaye is very much that woman here and I kind of lost that story in the Molly plot (Which is quite good) but I felt Kate's and Molly's stories are mashed together here to the determent of the entire thing. Molly's journey is quite wonderful and could have been even more enhanced with more time on her through the years without name checking Kate throughout this (As it begins with Kates destruction of her marriage. ) And Kate's journey as well is quite interesting as you show us near the end that Kate is teachable. I mean Rick is living his dream, he isn't dreaming a life, he had what he needs to sustain his life (And his wife and daughter as well) and for the most part he has that balence while his wife want to climb that imaginary ladder to to a giant pile of money to be the top of some company that does what? Does it help the world, does it make beautiful art? Or is it just a money making machine that must contine to move forward making more money but in the end is just an empty meaningless endeavor. I mean Kate gave away her daughter because of her tryst. She values her corporate life more than a human life. I think that last encounter with her parents and her apology to Rick started her on that journey to self awareness but if Kate was a man his prize at the end of his career would be a wife and kids who barely knew him (Cats in the Cradle) a gold watch and a heart attack and eventually a neglected grave site. That's the fucking carrot Kate is chasing. Rick to me seems so much more the full person, he even says he doesn't want to hate he wants to work to be indifferent to the past.

So yeah I feel a little cheated that I read two separate stories which got mushed into one. The only other major complaint or annoyance I found either through the absence in the text or my own short attention span is the daughter who pops up for divorce hearings and a birthday party but not much else. I know the kid is not going to be on Caligula's sailboat during the Molly sex debacle but Rick got custody and I never saw him beyond the birthday stuff doing Dad stuff with the kid. In a story with such great meaty characters I felt that the omission of her stood out and detracted. But all minor nits, I am thrilled I found your work, sometimes finding a series of stories in the depths of Lit is like a man in the desert finding an oasis and your work shines! Thanks for the great read!

GrimmerGrimmerover 3 years ago

1) Mom

2) Rick’s last comment

Those two things made this better than good.

Nice. Very nice.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Hmmm

Don’t like tattoos or drugs but loved the story. 5*. Thanks for your effort.

LeFrog08LeFrog08over 3 years ago

nice saga...well done

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userchasten@chasten
19 Mar ’24: Well, I published a story in a category I didn't expect to visit. Except that, every once in a while, I have this idea of trying to write something in each one Literotica has. However, I write very slowly. And since I've only done stories in nine out of thirty-two ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES