The Thorn of the Rose

Story Info
Short sequel to How the River Feels.
1.7k words
4.82
1.8k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

(Before you read this story, please click on my name to go to my author's page. There is an explanatory note that will help connect my stories. Thanks for reading! - Rob)

Jack, sweetheart, do you remember the first time we met? You caught my eye, your handsome looks. The attraction was instantaneous. But what took me by surprise was that I was drawn to a man whose heart was on his sleeve, who wasn't ashamed to show his emotions. I didn't realize it at first, but it was inevitable that we would be together. There was a current, electric in its intensity, that drew us together.

The first several months were eventful, full of ups and downs. But when I thought I had lost you, that the man who made me whole was not going to be in my life, I fully comprehended that we two were really one.

When you made love to me in the cabin, when you entered my body and made me completely yours, took my receiving virginity, the last barrier was torn down. Our orgasms that night were really explosions of our hearts.

The house we bought together was perfect for us. But I think the big selling point, in my mind, at least, was the beautiful gazebo in the back yard. It was perfect for a wedding, and that's where we were married five years later.

Our grandsons barged into the room. "Grandpa! Dan! It's time!" The boutonnieres glowed bright red on our lapels of our tux jackets. Roses, of course, the perfect symbol of our love. Cody took your hand, Connor took mine, and we proudly marched down the aisle between our family and friends.

Of course, Sean was your best man. How many men can have their own father as best man, only to return the favor years later? Ian was my best man, and I was so happy to see him in a committed relationship with Susan. In fact, their wedding date had just been set.

Reverend Martinez led us through the ceremony. (The rehearsal had been non-eventful, almost routine for such an important occasion.) We said our vows, looking each other in the eyes, always a deeply moving thing for me. We exchanged our rings, the beautiful gold gleaming in the sun. Then it happened.

When the minister pronounced us as married, instead of the chaste kiss we had practiced in the rehearsal, you touched my lips with your tongue, and I instinctively opened to a passionate deep kiss. Without thinking, I reached around you and grabbed your butt and pulled you close to myself. I know we could both feel our cocks hardening.

Then I remembered where we were and blushed fifteen shades of scarlet. I hid my head on your shoulder and only vaguely heard the cheering. Sean shouted out, "You go, Dad!" and Ian gave me a big thumbs up when I was able to look at anyone.

A couple of years later, we were at Thanksgiving dinner at Sean's house. Do you remember? So many people there, kids running all over the place, adults conversing in groups, the ordered chaos of the delicious meal itself.

After dinner, I happened to look out the open back door and saw Keith sitting in a lawn chair in the far corner of the yard, facing away from the house. I went out to see if something was wrong.

When I came close to him, tentatively holding a chair for myself, Keith looked up with an expression of profound sadness. I didn't want to intrude, but he waved me to sit with him.

"Dan, when I watch you and Jack together, I'm brokenhearted. You've found in each other a wholeness, a healing, that is obvious to anyone who knows you. . . I'm not jealous, just longing for the same for myself. But all I've had are dead ends and heartbreak." He sighed deeply. "I really think that I'm going to spend the rest of my life alone. I love my family, all of you. But every time I see people with their mates, I want to run away. I'm so lonely. . ." His voice trailed off.

Then, haltingly, brokenly, he told me about the things that had happened to him. The dashed hopes, the futile attempts, the outright betrayals. My own eyes were wet with tears for his pain. But then I shared some things about us that he hadn't known, some of the heartache that only you and I knew about.

Keith listened with close attention, and as I told him our story, a tale of loss and pain, and then ultimate happiness and fulfillment, he began to show the signs of hope in his eyes. "Keith, I know the right man for you is there. When you find him, you'll know that the dead ends were only detours, pointing you on your way to him. Keep believing, keep hoping. I know you'll find wholeness."

We stood and Keith hugged me in silent thanks. There was a shine in his eyes that told me he had begun to hope again.

When we got home and I told you about my conversation with Keith, you pulled me into a deep embrace and kiss and said, "Sweetheart, thank you for sharing with Keith. You have such a giving heart." Then you led me to our bedroom and kissed me deeply as you began taking off my clothes. When I was naked, you knelt, fully clothed, and took my cock in your mouth, caressing my balls with your hands.

With my cock still in your mouth, you began shedding your own clothes. Finally naked, you stood and gently pushed me onto the bed. Without a word, with only the silent language of body and eyes, you stood over me and began to lower yourself onto my dripping cock. You rested your hands on my chest and began to rock yourself.

Soon, both of us were sweating and moaning, our passion rising ever higher toward our releases. Soon, you cried out, "Dan, I love you!" and began shooting your cum over my belly and chest. That was enough for me to peak and shout out as I came inside you, sending my semen deep into your body.

You collapsed on me, and I help you tightly, our hearts beating next to each other's, our bodies beginning to come down from the heights of our orgasms. You rolled to my side with one arm and leg over me, nuzzled your face into my neck, and were soon snoring gently. I caressed your hair and kissed your cheek. As I fell asleep, I knew I was the most blessed man in the world.

And now, the memories rush in from all directions, so fast that I can't grasp them. Our anniversary trip to Europe, the birth of the first great-grandchild, the challenges we faced together over the years, celebrating Sean and Hannah's fortieth anniversary.

I desperately try to grasp the memories, but they overwhelm me and are gone almost before I can see them in my mind.

Jack, dearest Jack, heart of my heart, all these years you have never once hurt me, never caused me pain, no matter what we went through.

But now, Jack, you have hurt me. No, you have crushed me, and my heart is wounded beyond repair. For you have left me, and I am all alone.

When I was in the hospital, longing to give up and die, you called to me with words I could never remember. All but this one call, the one that pulled me back into life. You said, "Dan, sweetheart, my darling, come back to me. I won't be able to bear losing you, and if you go, I'll go, too. Please come back!"

But now you are gone, and I will go, too.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Dan! Dan, it's time to go. He's not hurting anymore."

As I looked down into the grave at your casket, I heard Sean speak to me, calling me back to the present reality. I sighed, realizing that all my memories had been only a few moments. It was time to return.

I looked at my family waiting for me, smiles amid the tears. Even the first great-grandchild was smiling. I weakly smiled back, appreciative of their love and support. But my heart was dead.

Back at the house, so many friends and family members came to me, hugging me and expressing their love, and grieving with me. It was obvious that they felt the loss, too, but their lives would go on.

It is amazing how we can go through the motions when we are numb. I met with people, talked about you, accepted the hugs and kisses. But I knew it was the end.

~~~~~~~~~~

(One month later)

Sean stood at the foot of his father's grave, with his mother's grave on one side, and Dan's grave on the other. He shook his head in silent wonder, thinking of how his life had been shaped by these three. The twists and turns of life were sometimes inscrutable and mysterious, but somehow, in some secret and strange way, all of the heartaches, all of the joys, fit together to create a life filled to the brim with love.

With a deep sigh and a smile, Sean turned away from the graves, from the past and back into the present and future. He gave Hannah a kiss, hugged his sons and grandson, and walked back into the world.

Jack and Karen stood silently, looking down at Sean with radiant smiles. Then they turned and welcomed Dan with outstretched hands. Together, the three of them walked into the light.

~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note - This short story was inspired by Chamisso's set of poems, A Woman's Life and Love, set to music by Robert Schumann, among other composers. The poems tell the story of a woman seeing her love for the first time, praising his attributes, and preparing for marriage. The two are married and she reflects on the ring he has given her. They settle into a happy life together, and she expresses her joy at becoming a mother. The child enriches her life with her husband. Finally, she upbraids him for causing her pain for the very first time in all their life together. He has died and left her alone.