The Trail West Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When the Indians got within 150 yards, Josh smiled and said, "Put away your rifles boys, that's Running Wolf."

He slid the rifle back into his scabbard and rode out to meet his new friend. As Josh got closer, Running Wolf held up his hand, opened palm, to greet him. The Chief motioned for his followers to stop and he continued on to meet Josh and the other two white men. Josh made a sign greeting Running Wolf.

Hobart greeted the warrior and they began to talk and sign back and forth. Running Wolf pointed to Josh several times. Josh had been trying to follow the sign language and finally Josh couldn't stand it anymore. "What's he saying Mr. Hobart?"

Surprisingly to Josh, Red answered his question, "Mostly he's talking about you helping his people. He thanked Mr. Hobart for the cattle but says he knows that you're the one responsible for the help. Says you're a friend and wants to say thank you. I caught most of the sign."

Turning to the wagon master Josh replied, "Aw Mr. Hobart, that ain't necessary. I just wanted to help the women and children at his camp. Don't like to see no one go hungry."

"It's necessary to him Josh. It's a matter of respect and honor for Running Wolf; whatever he offers, take it boy. The Apache are loyal and good friends but they can be fierce enemies. So don't insult him by refusing his gift," warned Hobart.

Running Wolf said more to Hobart and then moved his horse closer to Josh. He handed Josh a seven foot long stick about 2 inches thick and decorated with at least a dozen eagle feathers. Josh took the stick and nodded at the Chief and made the sign for thank you. The Indian dismounted and motioned Josh to get down also.

"Josh keep control of Diablo. Running Wolf is gonna do some kind of ceremony and is going to touch him," Hobart cautioned.

Dismounting to face Running Wolf, Josh put his hand on Diablo's nose to quiet him. The big horse's eyes were opened wide, disturbed by the strange smell given off by Running Wolf but calmed at Josh's touch and voice. The Indian opened a pouch he carried tied to his waist and dipped two fingers into it.

He brought his fingers out covered in a yellow paste and made a mark on each of Josh's cheeks. Next he dipped his whole hand into the pouch, covering his right palm with the yellow paste; he made a yellow hand print on Diablo's rump. As the Indian made these marks he chanted several words, over and over.

Running Wolf placed his hands on Josh's shoulders looked him in the eye and repeated the same words again. He mounted his pony, shook hands with Hobart, nodded at Red, and turned his horse and rode away. The white men watched him and his band ride up and over the rise.

"What was that all about, Mr. Hobart?" What's this stick he gave me?"

Hobart smiled and answered, "You just made sure that the wagon train won't have no trouble with any Apaches tween here and Santa Fe." He laughed at the puzzled look on Josh's face.

"That "stick" is called a coup stick. The Indians use it to show how brave they are. They'll get in close to an armed enemy and touch him with the stick; the Apache believe counting coup on his enemy instead of killing him shows the warrior's bravery. Each feather stands for about 10 coups."

Hobart counted the feathers on the coup stick; there were 14 of them. "Lots of coups; Running Wolf is a very brave warrior."

"Why did he give it to me? I've never counted coup on anyone," Josh said.

"Running Wolf gave you his coup stick as a sign of respect and gratitude. He said that you counted coup by giving food to his people instead of attacking them or letting them go hungry."

Josh smiled as he inspected the coup stick and nodded. "What about the hand print on Diablo and these marks on my face and that chant?"

"Those marks are war paint, what the Apache call a death mask. They paint their faces and ponies to scare their enemies and to show how fierce they are; they also paint themselves for special doings. The chant was a ceremony and the death mask welcomed you and Diablo as adopted warriors of the Jicarrilla Apache.

You're now an Apache warrior Josh." Hobart smiled at his young scout. "He even gave you a name, it's hard to say but it means, "Friend with big horse; or close enough."

"Okay, I guess," Josh smiled. "But how did I make the wagon train safe?"

"The coup stick will show any other Apaches that you are a warrior brother to Running Wolf, Chief of the Jicarrilla. No Apache or most other tribes want to make an enemy of Running Wolf and his band so they'll leave you and us alone."

Red couldn't help laughing at the events and the look on Josh's face. "How's it feel to be a savior Josh?"

"Running Wolf talked about you too Red," Hobart said.

"Oh, what did he say about me?"

"He said he liked your hair and that he hoped to take a scalp that color someday."

Now it was Josh's turn to laugh at the look on the young Texan's face.

"Okay boys, let's get back to the wagons and get moving. We've still got a ways to go to Santa Fe." Hobart ordered.

Arriving back at the wagons, with Josh's approval Hobart mounted the coup stick to the lead wagon so that it stuck up above the top of the wagon so anybody within a couple of hundred yards could see it.

That evening as Josh groomed and fed Diablo an apple he asked the big horse, "Do you know that you're an Apache warrior, big guy?"

The big bay nodded his head up and down chewing on the apple as if to say, "Of course I know I'm a warrior." Red joined him at the corral after taking care of his own horse and they walked back to the wagons.

"You understood the sign language pretty good Red. I didn't know you could talk sign," Josh told his friend. He was impressed with Red's knowledge.

"I learned it from my Pa. He was a Texas Ranger for awhile when he first settled our ranch back in '39. There were troubles between the settlers and the Indians back then; including the Apache but mostly the Comanche. Pa thought it was a good idea to be able to talk to the Indians so he learned sign language and taught my brothers and me. Comes in handy now and then."

Josh knew some sign but wanted to know more. "Think you could teach me?"

"Sure, you're pretty smart for a Missouri farm boy. We'll start tonight after supper," Red chuckled.

The next five days were routine for the wagons; up before daylight, travel all day, and circle the wagons to make camp at night. Now that the rains had stopped Josh and others were able to do some hunting to give the people some variety from the smoked buffalo meat. The trail began to slowly climb in elevation as they got closer to Santa Fe and the days cooled off a little as they got to higher ground.

Every day on their scouting trips and every night after supper Red and Hobart taught Josh more sign language. It was a useful tool, Josh might run into Indians on his was to Colorado and even after he got to his destination; where ever that would be. He still hadn't made up his mind as to where he was headed after Santa Fe.

Josh saw something interesting that had been developing for several days. About a week after the first raid Hobart had started to spend more and more time with Jerry Barnes. Aside from feeling sorry for the boy's loss, he really seemed to like the youngster and invited him to eat at his wagon every night.

Hobart was a born teacher; he would pass along his knowledge of how to make it in this wild country, The best way to treat stock and a number of other things he had learned over the years, he taught to anyone that had sense enough to pay attention to the lessons.

One evening after Hobart had shown Jerry the best way to load a pack horse Josh just had to tease the grizzled wagon master about the boy.

"This time it's you picking up strays Mr. Hobart," he said pointing to Jerry as he went back to his wagon.

Hobart smiled and chuckled a little and said, "The boys got bottom to him. A lot of youngsters would have just folded up on themselves after losing their parents; he didn't. He's had to grow up faster than a boy should have to and he's done it well." Hobart paused sort of looking inside himself and added, "Makes me think of my son."

"I didn't know you have a son, heck I didn't even know you was married," Josh said in surprise.

"Jacob and his mother died from the cholera better than 25 years ago," Hobart told him.

"Sorry Mr. Hobart, I didn't mean to pry or bring back bad memories," Josh apologized.

Hobart sort of shook himself and smiled at the young man. "You didn't son, all I got is good memories of Martha and Jacob. We had a good life together until they got the sickness."

Josh, even though young, had a feel for animals and men. He felt that the wagon master was in a mood to talk about his family so he asked "What happened Mr. Hobart?"

Hobart had been staring into the fire and looked up at Josh. "I think that Cheyenne woman you told me about was right. You do have a feeling for people don't you son? He didn't wait for an answer and began his story.

His parents had passed away and left their ranch in California to Hobart and his older brother. The older son, Jason, had been working the place with his pa. Hobart decided to move his wife and son from Little Rock to the ranch after his parents died. The plan was for the two brothers to run the ranch together.

Hobart and his family joined a wagon train in Fort Smith and began the trek west. Between Amarillo and Santa Fe the train ran into trouble. It had been a very dry summer and a lot of the water holes had dried up and what water there was to be had wasn't good; it had to be boiled to be safe to use. Hobart had gone on an overnight scout looking for water and while he was gone his wife and son got some bad water. They got cholera and died shortly after he returned.

He stopped talking for a couple of minutes and Josh just sat waiting for him to continue.

"They and other people died because the wagon master was a fool. He didn't know enough about the country to safely lead the wagons. It was his fault that my Martha and Jacob died. I pulled him off his horse and had my Bowie knife at his throat planning on killing him like he had killed my family and other families with the wagon train," Hobart admitted.

"What happened? Did you kill him Mr. Hobart?" Josh asked.

"No, but I wanted to in the worse way."

"What stopped you?" Josh knew that Hobart needed to finish his story.

"I saw Martha's face in front of me. She had that disapproving look that she used to get when I did something stupid and I knew she wouldn't have liked me killing the bastard. So I let him up and told him if I ever heard about him leading another wagon train I would hunt him down and finish what I'd started."

Hobart shook himself a few seconds after finishing his tale. He looked up at Josh and smiled at the young man. "You know, every once in a while I need to talk about it, it helps to ease the pain. Thanks for listening Josh."

Josh was a little embarrassed at the emotion in Hobart's voice and changed the subject. "What's Jerry going to do at the end of the trail? Does he have other family he can go to?"

"Not really he don't. That's one reason his parents decided to get a fresh start out west, they had nobody to connect to in Illinois and with the war thought it would be safer out here. But I got a couple of ideas for the boy; it all depends on what he wants."

The next morning after the wagons were moving, Hobart motioned Josh to join him as he rode out ahead of the train. "I'm going to talk to Jerry tonight and see what he wants to do when we get to Santa Fe. I've got a couple of ideas and he needs time to think about them before he makes a decision. Will you sit with us when we're talkin, you're closer to his age and you two seemed to have taken to each other?"

"Be happy to Mr. Hobart. I've been doin some thinkin about him and I've got an idea too. I'd like to run it by you and see what you think before I tell Jerry about it."

Hobart nodded and Josh told him his idea. The older man rode silently for a minute or so and then smiled at Josh and said, "That's a fine idea son. It'll give Jerry more than one way to go. A man oughta have choices, don't you know."

That night after supper, Jerry thanked Hobart for the meal and stood to return to his wagon. "Hold up Jerry, we need to talk a bit." The boy sat back down looking puzzled. "What are your plans after we get to Santa Fe son? You know we'll be there in two or three days."

"Hadn't really thought much about it sir. Guess since we're getting close I should," Jerry answered.

"Are you going back East?"

"Don't think so. Got a couple of aunts and uncles back in Illinois but I haven't seen them for years so we're not close. Besides they already have a passel of kids and don't need another mouth to feed. I guess I'm on my own so I'll have to find a way to live out here."

"Well I've got some suggestions for you since you don't have a plan of your own yet. It's your decision and you don't have to take any of them, understand?"

Jerry looked concerned, not frightened but concerned about his future and nodded at Hobart.

"I know two good men in Santa Fe that run a stables and blacksmith; I can get you a job in the stables or as an apprentice to the blacksmith. That's one suggestion. Or you can come with me to California to my ranch. My brother Jason runs the place and we're always looking for good hands to help out. It won't make you a lot of money but you can live a good life there."

The boy nodded a couple of times as he listened to Hobart. Josh could see that Jerry hadn't thought any further than the next day on the trail and was a little frightened now.

"I've got another idea for you Jerry," Josh said. "I'm leaving the train at Santa Fe and heading up to Colorado. My plan is to get work training horses or working for a cattle ranch up there. Don't know which one or even if I can but that's the plan. After the war is over, I will probably go back to Missouri; there'd be a place for you on our farm. Either way, you're welcome to come with me. We'd make a pretty good team."

Now Jerry didn't know what to do or think. Going from having no plan to having three to choose from was almost overwhelming.

"One thing Jerry, the suggestions from Mr. Hobart will get you a good life and you won't go hungry, that's for sure. Coming with me is a bit of a gamble. It's not exactly Illinois where I'm goin, it's still a wild country, so you want to think about that too," Josh said.

"You don't have to do any of these and I'll try to help you if you decide to do something else, but we wanted you to have choices," Hobart told the boy. "Think about it until the last night on the trail and let me know what you want to do. Good night son."

Hobart watched Jerry walk back to his wagon; he felt better now that the boy had a place to go. Even though it wasn't his fault the wagon master felt responsible for the death of Jerry's parents; that's one of the reasons he wanted to help the youngster.

He knew the boy would be big enough and strong enough to take care of himself once he got his full growth. Jerry was already 5' 8" and about 150 pounds and he would fill out and maybe get taller as he matured. He would be decent looking with his brown eyes and his shock of dark hair; right now his hair was all over the place and he needed a haircut.

Two more days and nights on the trail and the wagon train camped for the last time before getting to Santa Fe. Jerry came to Hobart's wagon for supper as he usually did but didn't leave right afterwards.

"I've made my decision Mr. Hobart." He turned to Josh and said, "I'd like to go with you to Colorado if the offer's still good Mr. Kelly."

"It's still open Jerry, just one thing you gotta do before we join up, quit calling me Mr. Kelly. Mr. Kelly is my Pa, my name's Josh," he said smiling at the boy.

"Yes sir. I thank you Mr. Hobart for your offers but I want to see some more of this country. I've ridden with and know Mr. Kel...I mean Josh. I think I could learn a lot from him too." Hobart nodded at him.

"Jerry, I'll teach the best way to train horses and how to work stock. That way you can make it on your own whenever you want to," Josh told him.

Hobart spoke up and said, "I'll help you sell your wagon and other things once we get to Santa Fe; it'll give you a stake."

"C'mon Jerry let's go back to your wagon and start pickin out the stuff you'll need for our trip," Josh suggested.

At the wagon, sorting through his belongings Jerry thought of a problem. "Mr. Kel....I mean Josh, I don't have a horse. I've been riding horses from the remuda but I don't own one. I mean I can't go with you without a horse."

"I wouldn't worry about it Jerry. Mr. Hobart is going to help you sell your wagon and the gear you don't want or need; that should be plenty to get you a horse or two and give you a stake. If nothing else you can ride Sunny or Joey until we can find you a pony."

Jerry seemed relieved and went back to looking through the wagon. Josh knew that a lot of wagon trains finished their journeys in Santa Fe and that they sold off their extra horses. It'll be a good place to look for a mount for Jerry.

The next day the train made its way into Santa Fe and set up camp just outside of the settlement. Josh wanted to take a couple of days, maybe more, to get supplies and plan the next leg of his journey. Hobart told him that he could stay with the wagons until he decided to leave.

That first evening wasn't much different than all the other nights on the trail, except there was a feeling of excitement because many of the people had come to the end of the trail. At supper around Hobart's wagon Josh, Hobart, and Red talked about the trek west.

"We made good time from Fort Smith, we didn't have any serious wagon break downs, and nobody got sick on the trail. It was a good trip," Hobart proclaimed. "Even with the two attacks by the guerillas it was a good trip."

"It was a good trip because we had a good leader," Josh said complimenting Hobart.

"Even that stray you brought worked out okay," he said pointing to Red.

"It's a good thing I found this boy," Red replied. "No tellin what kind of trouble he would have got into without me to watch over him."

The three men laughed at Red's antics and then got quiet thinking about their parting. Josh had found a father figure in Hobart; not as a substitute for his Pa but more like a real close uncle. Red had found and made two good friends. And Hobart had watched a lonely farm boy from Missouri turn into a fine young man.

"One last thing Mr. Hobart. I promised to stay with the train to Santa Fe and now I'm going to be leaving you. Thanks for everything sir," Red said a little embarrassed at his feelings.

"Thought you might Red," Hobart replied. "Didn't really expect you to stay on with the wagon train. What're you going to do, where do y'all go from here?"

"Well Josh has never been to Colorado so I'd better go along and show him the way."

"You've never been to Colorado either Red. How're you going to show me the way?" Josh asked smiling.

"That's right, I never been but I'm a natural born path finder so I can lead you anywhere you want to go."

The three friends stayed up later than normal that evening talking, remembering, and enjoying each other's company for probably the last time. In spite of the late night they were up at first light; with months and weeks on the trail it had become a habit.

After breakfast Hobart went into Santa Fe, he had several errands to take care of. One was to let the livery stable know that he had a wagon and farming gear for sale. When he got back to the camp around midday he motioned Jerry over to him, Josh came with the boy.

"Jerry, I talked to the man at the livery and let him know about your wagon and gear. It'll probably take a few days to sell so I'll make you a deal. I'll give you $250 dollars for the whole kit and caboodle or you can wait around to see if it'll bring more," Hobart told him.