The Trail West Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Josh smiled at Hobart and knew Jerry couldn't tell what a good deal he was being offered. It was time for the boy's first lesson so Josh spoke up.

"Jerry and I are partners now so I'd like to deal myself a hand in this game Mr. Hobart," Josh said and continued at a nod from Hobart. "How bout you give Jerry $240 and he'll take two of those old nags from the remuda off your hands so you don't have to waste feed on them?"

"Well ifin I have to give up two of those fine animals I think $180 should be enough cash."

"Most of your animals aren't fit for much but since it's you, I think Jerry could go as low as $230 if you include a saddle and tack," Josh replied.

The horse trading continued for several minutes with Hobart and Josh making offers and counteroffers until they agreed that Jerry would get $200, a western saddle and tack, and two horses for his wagon and its' contents. Through the whole process Jerry watched and listened to the two men; his head turning back and forth as they dickered over prices.

After coming to an agreement on the price, the three went to the corral to choose the two horses for Jerry. The boy asked Josh to help him pick out the best animals. Hobart pointed out a few of the horses that belonged to other people but there was a good selection. The owners of the wagon teams had already taken their animals, now that they had reached the end of the trail; most of the horses in the corrals were riding stock.

Most boys or young men tend to go for the best looking horses as opposed to the best animal, Jerry was an exception. The first horse he chose was the black that Hobart usually let him ride, it was a Morgan, bred to be used for a lot of different jobs, including handling stock. It was very quick, had good stamina, and was good all around horse.

He wasn't sure about choosing a second animal and asked Josh to help him. After checking with Hobart, Josh pointed out a big chestnut horse similar to his Sunny. The horse was strong and could go all day at a good pace. Jerry spent the better part of the afternoon with his two horses. He brushed and combed them and let them get use to him handling them.

Later that afternoon, Hobart paid Josh for 70 days on the trail, it had taken the wagon trail 62 days from Fort Smith to Santa Fe but he felt that Josh had earned a bonus. He also paid Red from the time they picked him up east of Oklahoma City to Santa Fe. Red said he didn't deserve pay before they got to Amarillo that he was just earning his way home. Hobart insisted that the young Texan had more than earned the money. The wagon master even paid Jerry some wages for his scouting and work around the wagon train after his parents were killed.

Hobart invited Josh and Red to town for one last drink before they left in the morning. Jerry wanted to go too but he was a mite young for that kind of entertainment. The three friends rode into town and entered the saloon. Hobart and Red got whiskey and Josh as usual got a beer.

They were standing at the bar when a big cowboy knocked against Red to make room for himself at the crowded bar. "Excuse me mister, I didn't know I was in your way," Red said to the man with a smile.

"Mind your manners when you talk to you betters sonny," the man told Red.

"Yes sir I will, just as soon as I meet my betters. But you ain't it."

Hobart gently pulled on Red's arm saying, "C'mon he's not worth your time. Let's enjoy our drinks."

"Better listen to your Pa boy. Your about to get your backside paddled," the cowboy said. It was plain that he was looking for a fight.

Hobart looked at the man and said, "Mister, you might want to pull in your horns a little. This "boy" is a veteran of Manassas and helped fight off two raids on our wagon train by guerilla scum. He's not one to turn his back or walk away. Let me buy you a drink and let's forget all this."

"I don't need your drink and I'll decide when to back off," the man replied. Directing his words to Red the man said, "I think you better apologized for bumping into and sassin me boy." The cowboy backed away from the bar, ready to go for the gun stuck in his belt.

People scatted away from the scene not wanting to be caught up in the fight. Josh noticed that another cowboy that had come into the saloon with the bad tempered man had moved sort of to the side and slightly behind Red. Not sure of what his intentions were, Josh slowly moved over to stand next to the man.

Red stepped back from the bar and as Hobart came to his side said, "Step away Mr. Hobart, this gentleman's going to teach me some manners and the lesson is just for me. Step away sir."

Turning back to the big mouthed cowboy Red said, "I truly am sorry you bumped into me. Some people are just naturally clumsy I guess."

Red's normal voice had deepened into a challenging tone and the big happy go lucky grin on his face had been replaced by a grim tight lipped smile. Josh had seen the same look on his friend's face when the two men had braced them in Oklahoma City. It amazed him, the change that came over his fun loving, always kidding, and always smiling friend. This side of Red was a battle harden veteran who wouldn't be cowed or pushed around.

The cowboy reached to pull his gun but before he could do much more than grab the pistol's grip, Red's gun was in his hand and pointed at the man. Red's hand had moved so fast that it was a blur that not many could follow. The man pulled his hand away from his gun and sort of slumped in on himself.

"Care to try again mister?" Red asked as he holstered his gun and then drew it with a blur again. "I didn't think so; maybe you should leave since the bar is so crowded and you can't keep from bumping into people."

When the big man had started the move for his gun, his friend standing slightly behind Red had also reached for his weapon. He felt the cold steel of a pistol barrel against his throat and stopped.

"Mister you oughta think again before you pull that hog leg." He turned and looked at the young man holding the pistol. Looking into a pair of cold blue eyes made the cowboy realize he was just one move away from death. He dropped his hand and stepped back.

Josh didn't realize it about himself but Hobart did; Josh had changed from the wide eyed, naïve, and maybe innocent young farm boy into a very competent and confident young man. And Red for all his laughing and joking could be a stone cold killer. I wouldn't want to get sideways with those two, Hobart thought.

The two cowboys, now cowed, quickly left the saloon; very fortunate to get out of there with their lives. They mounted their horses and rode out of town like the devil himself was on their heels.

"Well boys, thanks for the entertainment but I've had about all the fun I can stand so I think I'll finish my drink and head back to my wagon," Hobart said to lighten the mood.

"Hadn't really planned it but I'm glad you enjoyed the show, Mr. Hobart," Red replied with a smile, now back to his good natured self.

The three left the saloon and rode back to the camp. On the way Red rode up beside Josh and said, "Thanks for the hand back there; I probably could have handled them both but it sure made it easier with you taking care of that second cowboy."

"You saw him? I didn't think you knew he was there so I had a little talk with him. He listened real good," Josh replied.

Over a last cup of coffee before going to bed Josh remarked, "I don't have that much experience with gun fighting but I've never seen anyone move that fast Red."

"Have a cousin, name of John Slaughter, he taught me a little before the war; he's a law man or was before the war. It's not a skill I'm proud of but sometimes it comes in handy.

"Texas John Slaughter, the famous lawman? We even heard about him back in Missouri."

"Maybe infamous is a better term, but yeah Cousin John taught me a little."

The next morning Josh, Red, and Jerry were up shortly after first light; ready to start their trek to Colorado. The three travelers and Hobart met for morning coffee for probably the last time. Josh felt sad and excited at the same time. He was sad to be leaving Hobart after being with him daily for over two months and becoming good friends but he was excited on beginning the journey to Colorado.

"You certainly do pick up strays, don't you Josh. Now you got two and a bunch of horses," Hobart laughed. He handed Jerry the Henry rifle and pistol that Red had taken from Fogerty. "Y'all might have use for these son". He smiled at the look on the boys face. "Where you and your strays headed, Josh? You ever decide?"

"Well my partners and I decided to explore Chico Basin just southeast of Colorado City," Josh said with a big grin. "I hear there's a couple of big cattle spreads in the area and they might just have need of horse trainers or cow hands. Guess we'll see when we get there."

"Where'd you hear about Chico Basin?"

"Johnny Burrows told me about that area just before he left the train, so I think that's as good a place as any to start."

Hobart shook hands with the three and said, "Well, hang onto your scalps boys and if you get over my way stop in at my ranch. It's the "Double H" spread in the Laguna Mountains just east of San Diego and it is god's own back yard. You'll always be welcome for a visit or to stay. Or if you decide you like the life on a wagon train come see me in Fort Smith, I run two trains a year from there. Good luck and God bless you."

The three partners mounted their horses waved at Hobart and for the first time turned north on the trail heading for a new land and new adventures.

To be continued...