All Comments on 'The Tree'

by ronde

Sort by:
  • 29 Comments
A_BierceA_Bierce10 months ago

You do bittersweet so well, just as you do everything else.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy10 months ago

Lovely story! I made me cry. The story began and ended with Madeline.

5

Bronco56Bronco5610 months ago

That was an excellent story. Sad in a way, 5stars

Ravey19Ravey1910 months ago

Not what I expected but, boy, was it brilliant. So much said in such a short piece. Evocative and moving. 5⛤

TechumsahTechumsah10 months ago

Unexpected and wonderful.

IgneousRocksIgneousRocks10 months ago

A remarkable story. Thank you.

Davester37Davester3710 months ago

I read this one while holding my baby granddaughter. You got me!

With misty eyes, thank you for writing, and thank you for sharing your work.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Lovely story, very well written.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A wonderful story, told so well. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

It made me think of Dad. He planted trees everywhere he stayed for over a year. He was a Winter Texan that summered in Southwest Oklahoma. He would put in Winter & Spring gardens in Aransas Pass, then leave for the neighbors the second week of April. To put in an early summer garden in Frederick, Oklahoma, and put in a fall garden in late August and early September if he didn't join the early flight of snowbirds, saying he put in the garden for Mom. Mom never set foot in the garden cigarettes & whisky didn't grow well there.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Brought tears to this old mans eyes!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

eomersoneomerson10 months ago

Now I am sad. Great story!

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Brought this cynical, jaded, dirty old man to tears, thinking about my own grandmother. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Loved the story's celebration of life and love. Thank you.

Comentarista82Comentarista8210 months ago

Certainly novel idea to compare one's life to the tree that grew up with her. About the only reference (assumed) is to a 2-story house, which is about 20 feet tall and got that way in about 15-17 years. Maybe an American Sycamore? That would be the approximate width of what I remember. Also I thought it unique to plan the symmetry of the story to revolve around Madeline.

******************************

What surprised me is how Madeline "got tired" once they cut down the tree, or at least in the fact no apparent transition exists from her death to granddaughter Madeline playing with the sapling. Certainly the story anchored itself in grandmother Madeline's life, and the story details that part well. The parts that concern me are the ones where Jack suddenly passes, which received little coverage (almost like his life wasn't as important as Madeline's) then the story moved on. We then jump ahead to Melody talking to the youngest Madeline, and while it presents a few temporal markers, it made the story feel rushed, like after the oldest Madeline died, nothing else really mattered.

******************************

The 1-Lit page bothers me. In a story like this, I expected 3 generations playing out, and I don't see why that couldn't have happened, as many classic literary examples reflect that: I would have thought 1 page for older Madeline; 1 page for Melody; 1 page for youngest Madeline. We see a little suggested about how oldest/youngest Madeline might be, but to stop there...just kind of feels like giving up.

******************************

I did enjoy the story, although I wished for a deeper examination. 3

Smiffy69Smiffy6910 months ago

Some commentators are just too picky. Lean back and enjoy the story that someone else has crafted for you, this is a gem.

JoeMo1619JoeMo161910 months ago

A wonderful, bitter-sweet story. Sad and beautiful. Just like life.

mikko_lainenmikko_lainen10 months ago

That was such a great, little blue story. Thank you so much.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Great story, and I enjoyed it immensely. Thank-you.

linnearlinnear10 months ago

Wonderful story.

Comentarista82Comentarista829 months ago

@smiffy

Read the comments policy, which allows every poster that freedom--AND outlines important prohibitions regarding authors and addressing other commenters following the policy. If you wish to only read and not observe anything else, feel free.

jlg07jlg079 months ago

What a beautiful, heart-string pulling story. Just wonderful.

J6480J64809 months ago

Another winner

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Wow. Remarkable and refreshing. Thank you.

KinPAKinPA9 months ago

Wow…not what I expected…and that made it all the better.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

delightful!

Crusader235Crusader2359 months ago

Wonderful story, brought years to this old mans eyes. 5 stars.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman8 months ago

sweet story of life, remembrance.

Flar1958Flar19583 months ago

Remarkably.

In german there is an old song "mein freund der baum" this story reminds me of these song from Alexandra in 1968

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userronde@ronde
Women tend to be the central characters in my stories, because I find their complex personalities to be fascinating. My stories come from my life experiences or the thoughts inspired by people I have met. I am an avid fan of history and especially the history of the America...

SIMILAR Stories