The Treehouse Ch. 05

Story Info
Apocalypse.
7.1k words
4.71
1.3k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As the group was sitting around the fire eating, the driver and seemed to be leader asked Adam if she could ask him some questions. He said sure as long as the answers didn't put his group in danger.

She seemed to be thinking hard on what to ask first when Adam spoke up instead. "Maybe this will help. I'm at a loss here. I've never run into any kids before, so this is new to me. I normally find men with slaves. They are easy, I kill a few and make them run away. Problem solved; they're gone. I killed them all a while back and ended up with 4 new girls to feed. So far that's turned out ok. Connie's got a smart mouth on her but once you get used to it it's ok. She's actually funny sometimes." Looking over the group he tried to put on his mean face as he continued. "I will deny that if you ever tell her. She'd probably turn it up and I'm just now getting used to it. So please don't make it worse. Anyway, here is my problem. This world is a war zone. Everyone is at war with everyone else. Kill or be killed. Normally that doesn't bother me. I do my best to not be killed. Simple. The problem is, I don't want 8 new people to feed but I can't turn my back on kids. They are not my enemy. You 3 girls are kids too in my book. No matter the age, you don't have that look in your eye. The hard look the most of us end up after enough killing.

If I let you leave on your own, I'm condemning you to a death sentence. Or worse. But taking in more useless people to take care of is not good for my tribe." He realized he insulted them but didn't know how to say it any easier.

Judy saved him but cutting in. "What he means is, inexperienced. More people to train. More people to feed. More work for him. He's not lazy but his full-time job is keeping us safe. We are just now getting to the point that he doesn't have to bring us fresh meat. At first he had to spend time feeding us instead of protecting us. In doing that he was putting us in possible danger. Safety first is what he is always telling us so when he can't do patrols, he is breaking his own rule. He has been alone for 20 years, so his public speaking is not the best. The idea of basically doubling our size overnight is, uh, even I don't know what to say. Scary?

The driver stood up, "My name is Suzie, and I'm not offended. We are hanging on by a thread out here and left on our own we won't survive." Looking at her group she continued. "I know I've talked tough and always looked for the bright side but inside the idea of being responsible for all of your lives has been a weight on my shoulders. I've been scared to death most of my life, I think we all have but it's one thing to be scared for my life verses being scared for yours. I understand what Adam is saying. Adding more weight to his shoulders is not something to take lightly."

Looking more at Adam she continued, "The younger kids and I all left our home months back, Candice and then Krystal joined later. We met them as we were traveling. My family home was attacked and as the oldest child I watched over the younger ones. We had a bug out plan, dad drilled it into all of us from the time we could walk. The hardest thing I've ever had to do was take the kids and run. We had no idea who or how many there were, but we heard guns and dad didn't shoot unless it was life or death. He hunted with a bow; guns are for war he said. Well it must have been war and I don't know who won!" Everyone could see the pain in her eyes as she talked. "And had we been 30 minutes faster coming back from the fishing hole we would probably be dead. Based on the smoke I figure dad was holden em off, so they burned him out.

Dad had a sister that lived in this area, her name was Paula and she lived with a group of people. Sort of a big bunker from what I remember. Don't know much more, just random talk from time to time. Before the end they talked on the phone some but after, he never heard from her, so we assumed they didn't make it. But to hear tell, they had lots of big trees so I figured that would be the place to go. Anyplace with lots of big trees sounds safer than most."

Adam looked at her, hard. "Your dad had a sister named Paula and she lived in a compound with lots of big trees. Tell me anything you remember hearing about it. Maybe I've seen it."

Suzie scrunched up her face, thinking. "Well, I assume she spent most of her time naked, dad always did." Laughing a bit but it didn't reach her eyes. "I think they were all nudists before the end. Of course, now that's nothing but from what I gather back then it was taboo to some people. All I remember is she had a few 'sisters'. Some of the husbands died so they just joined the family. Geez this was before I was born, all I remember is she had a few kids and her sisters did too so they all just lived together, and the kids all called them Aunt Paula or Aunt Beth. I don't remember any other names, don't even know how many kids. I think the guys dad started the camp, called it his bug out hole. He made a bunch of money when he sold his business or something and built this dream camp. Hidden away in the trees is all I remember hearing."

Now Gwen and Judy didn't know much about how the camp got started but their curiosity got up big time based on the look on Adams face. They could tell he was stressed out.

He looked at the newcomers and with a sad and hard look said, "I have a large bunker, and just the fact that I say that to you puts your life in danger. I have never let anyone outside of the camp know we exist. I don't mean to scare you, just making sure you understand. As of this moment, you are part of my family. That means I will protect you, but that means you have to live with me. I can't protect you out here. The choice of letting you go is now off the table. Sorry, I would normally never force anyone to do anything other than run. I don't have any choice here." Here he seemed to be at a loss for words. "I had an Aunt Paula. I had 3 aunts; my dad's dad built the bunker. It's in a bunch of big trees hidden from the world. All of them were killed 20 years or so ago. Dad let a woman and 2 kids into camp. He thought he was saving them. In truth they were the advance scouts for some raiders. I showed up towards the end just in time to kill them all. Paula lived for a year after but never got out of bed. I only know what happened because of what she told me. I don't know that she was your Aunt, but it fits. My only worry is, and I'm sorry to have to say this. Are you for real or are you just another scouting party?" He put his hand up to stop them from talking. "I have one motto that I've learned that has kept me alive; never trust anyone. Now here I am putting my existing family in danger by a good story. I'm leaning toward believing it, seems like the odds are you are already part of my family. I can't fathom how anyone could have planned this out. But know this, if this is not real, I will find out and my pets will entertain you for a while."

Suzie looked at the 5 little kids, then back at Adam. "I'm not going to say that I'm not offended. I have no right to be, but it still hurts. For a brief moment there I felt hope and that was, wonderful? Exciting? But after a moment to think, I realize that from your perspective this is de ja vu. The idea that you think I would put these kids in that much danger is insulting but then again, in this world you've seen worse. You don't know me, hell I don't know you. We both could be lying, so I'm not going to let any of this take away anything from the light I see at the end of the tunnel. IF somehow, we can verify, that would be awesome, but it really doesn't change anything. You've told us too much, so we go with you. That is only logical. If you decide to not trust us, don't take it out on the kids. Candice is a sneaky bitch and Krystal is a tricky twit, but I trust them with my children's lives."

She stuck her tongue out at them smiling. "What can I say, they are women and the only way a woman wins is by being smarter than the dumb apes running around everywhere."

Gwen and Judy started laughing, harder than the others felt that joke deserved. They were all watching them waiting for an explanation it seems. Judy just laughed harder but threw them a bone. "I promise you will understand when we get home. To tell you now would ruin it." Laughing harder... "Just remember; you said ape. That's all I'm gonna say. Its not bad I promise."

The rest of them just watched the interaction with curiosity.

Adam, still looking troubled got up and said. "We can't bring your wagon in the compound, no road or path big enough. I know you need it to carry the kids. We'll figure it out when we get closer. For now, everyone sleeps, I'm keeping patrol so you can relax. Tomorrow night, if we don't make it to the compound will be a problem but I'll worry about that tomorrow."

Candice looked his way and commented, "I'm sure that you wouldn't sleep with any of us out and about so keeping us all in camp makes sense. But everyone needs sleep. How about you tie a rope to me and sleep on top of it. If I move it will wake you up. You hold the weapons or at least keep them out of my reach. You get a few hours sleep. There is no way in hell I'm gonna sleep. My mind is going in so many crazy directions and it will be hours before I calm down."

"Ok but how about I put you up in that tree" pointing above her "and I'll find a limb to settle down on. Both of us are safe and who ever is awake will have a good view of the area."

Shrugs, "that's smart but can you sleep in a tree?

"Not to ruin their fun but the girls told you to remember; ape."

"Something tells me there is more to it than that, but I get it. But one problem, you may be able to sleep in a tree but I'm not sure I can. Can I move once you take watch?"

"Let's get up there and then decide."

He left his girls alone knowing they would probably do the same as he was. After getting Candice up to the lowest branches he then climbed up and after some small tree trimming to get as good a view as possible, he pulled something out of his pack. She hadn't even noticed the pack but after a minute she figured out he had a hammock in there. "Hell, and I thought I was sneaky bitch. Do the girls know you sleep in a hammock?"

"No idea? They know I sleep in the trees a lot, not my fault if they think I'm an ape." He smiled at her with a glint in his eye. "And I prefer to keep them guessing if you don't mind."

"Oh shit, can I have the hammock when you take over? Then without ever explaining why I can simply say I slept with Adam in the tree. Leave them guessing." With a big smile, she kissed him on the cheek and then moved to her spot to watch. "I may even slip in something about Candice and Adam kissing in a tree!!" giggling even more, "just like the nursery rhyme. Adam, you may be a scary guy when needed but I'll bet you're a hoot to hang with. And I'm looking forward to it."

Adam too was enjoying the moment; God I hope they're the real deal. Never trust anyone doesn't mean you can't enjoy their company.

After he had the hammock set up and was settling in, she whispered. "Pets?"

"Gators and pigs. They clean up any trash I need taking out."

"Damn dude, that's some hard shit. Do you feed them live or dead bait?"

"Depends, curiosity killed the cat as the saying goes but threaten my family, I want them to feel it."

Lots of quiet time passed before Candice woke him. She quietly said, "No matter if they are actual family or not, you're gonna take care of them kids, aren't you? Nevermind, I know the answer to that. I know you will and for what it's worth, in the short time I've been running I've never trusted anyone either. Till I met you. I mean sleeping with a man I just met! Whatever would people think?" she giggled. Then very quietly, "I hope you're real. I've just bet my life on it."

Early the next morning Adam was urging everyone to get moving, Suzie asked about Gwen and Judy and Adam just said not to worry, they were probably already up ahead watching. He had heard them leave an hour back. He watched how Candice and Krystal spread out far enough to keep watch and yet still be close enough to help if needed. They may have looked young, but they had more experience than his girls when he found them. Probably the difference between slave and survivors. Not a lot to worry about if you're tied up and walking behind a horse.

There were 3 boys and 2 girls in the wagon. He taught the boys to just pee out the back while it was moving. The cows were far enough away, not that cows cared enough anyhow. The girls couldn't pull that off so they stopped more than he would have liked. At least they didn't run off to do it, they just squatted and then climbed back up. Three boys, damn, that's gonna be different. Oldest looked about 10, held the bow like he knew what he was doing. Adam could tell the boy was sizing him up, which was smart. Sounded like his dad was savvy enough. Hell, he raised a family in this new world. That in itself was either very brave or very stupid.

In this world, sex didn't matter. You learned to shoot and fight, boobs or not. It's probably more important for the girls than the boys. In a fight the boys will just be killed, for the girls it's slavery. He was betting that most of them would rather fight and die than be captured.

Gwen rode up and told Adam that Judy was heading home to get more horses. Maybe bring some help. They figured out that unloading the wagon and carrying all their stuff was gonna be a problem. He told Suzie they would have to carry what they could and come back for the rest. He knew some places he could hide it but getting the kids in was the priority. Then come back and get what they could. Letting the cows go in the compound was gonna be trouble. Horses were better at avoiding traps. Cows not so much, cows tended to be stupid. He had some cows in the back area, maybe he could go clear enough traps to get them into that area and the herd might keep them safe.

He told Gwen to keep watch, he was going to go back and see what he could do to cover the wagon tracks. Horse tracks are hard enough, but the wagon left a lot more sign. Dragging branches behind the horse raised a dust trail in some spots and that was more dangerous than the wagon tracks. Dust trails are fresh and can be seen from a distance. Suzie had kept the wagon on grassy areas the best she could. He was really gonna have to watch this area for the next few days. Put everyone on high alert, spread the girls out along the edges. The idea of a sneak attack hitting while he was miles away on patrol scared the crap out of him.

Judy came back with 4 horses and they were able to load up the most important stuff. They were able to double up all the kids with adults and have a few pack horses. After hiding the wagon, they started the next part. Getting them all by the traps and into the trees. Molly was strong enough to carry the children and climb the ropes. The new girls, tough as they seemed to be didn't do so well climbing. Not exactly something anyone does often in the rest of the world. It took the rest of the day to get everyone settled. He left Molly in charge and took Janet and Connie with him to go check the trail.

Suzie wanted to go with them. She wanted to spend time with Adam, see him in action and get the feel for what kind of man he was. Candice and Krystal wanted to go also but he didn't like the idea of that many people out. Plus, he didn't think they had the tree climbing part down. Hiding the horses and climbing trees took a lot more effort than just riding around. But leaving them in the camp presented its own dangers. If they were up to no good, they might try to overpower Molly and the girls. Although somehow, that didn't seem to worry him. He felt the new girls were legit for one and for the other he somehow got the feeling that if they did try something, they would end up biting off more than they could chew. Molly was tough and Judy may admit to being squeamish at outright killing someone but in training she was a tiger and between the throwing knives and stars she carried around she was not someone to be messed with.

Taking Suzie with him kept the odds better and would let him keep and eye on her also. As long as he was able to keep her quiet so they could watch. Don't need her distracting him or worse case getting some sort of signal to someone. As nice as it would be to just relax and trust someone, he couldn't do it. Her story was believable, didn't seem possible for anyone to know what she did. If they did, they would have come long before now. He couldn't remember if Paula ever talked about her brother or not. She may have with the other adults but as a kid he wouldn't have cared to listen much less remember it 20 years later. She knew just enough to sound legit, much more would be strange and make him even more nervous. This was going to drive him nuts. Like every good lie should have a bit of truth in it, every story should have just enough details to get his interest but not enough to sound contrived.

In the end he took Suzie with him, and between the 4 of them they were able to spread out and they didn't see anything. But then again, if it was a trick, they would wait a few days to let us get our guard down. Back to running his mind in circles.

They only had the one container set up to live in, so they put the kids in it and the rest of them spread out around the fire. Adam of course hit the trees. Candice giggled and the girls couldn't get her to tell them why. She just said ape and that got Judy and Gwen giggling. So, the girls explained how Suzie and called men in general apes and how that started them all giggling. The girls walked around trying to imitate an ape walking. That had them all laughing even more. Molly got Candice all alone with one of the bathroom trips and figured it out. She looked at her and said "Who do you think packs his pack? Of course, I know what's in it. If the other girls want to picture him sleeping on a tree limb who am I to correct them. The problem is if they knew they would be more likely to want to share it with him, which is why he probably keeps it secret."

Candice was curious as to why he didn't bed any of the others and Molly just shrugged. She told her how she suggested they spread it around, less likely to get pregnant but in the end he didn't seem interested. Maybe because I'm his first or maybe I'm just that good a lover! Laughing she then shook her head, no I figure he doesn't want the hassle over who's turn it is. Or worse the girls fight about it and that causes trouble. He doesn't want strife between any of us, so this is his way of keeping peace.

Adam had his 4 swapping out in pairs and watching from the edges. He was afraid to leave camp and that just pissed him off. By worrying about a sneak attack, he was leaving the outside area wide open. After the 2nd night he decided to do both, and he took short naps during the day and at night he roamed. If they thought they were safe they might start a fire and between the smell and the light he figured he could sneak up on them instead.

After about a week of this he decided to make a day trip. He took Suzie with him along with Gwen. After they left Janet snuck out and followed. If by some chance Suzie left any clues it was her job to decide what to do with them. Send them another direction or destroy it. all depends on what it was.

All in all, nothing was ever seen or noticed anyway. After a few more weeks they saw some fresh tracks and followed them. Ended up a couple of guys had seen the cow tracks and managed to follow them. Gwen was close enough to hear them talking a time or two and it seemed all they were interested in was how T bones tasted better than Ribeye or some shit.

Adam was worried, in the past he would have just shot them but now he was hesitant. Was it because of the girls or was it only the fact the guys didn't have any slaves? Even shooting at them to scare them seemed dangerous. He didn't want them talking about it somewhere and getting anyone curious. Finally, the cow thief's or want to be cow thief's set up camp but didn't set a watch. So, Adam and Suzie untied the horses and led them away from camp and urged them to head back home. The horses seemed fine with that idea so off they went. The next morning saw two sad cow thief's walking toward home. With the horses leading the way Adam and the girls followed them and found their camp. No danger from this group, just a couple of fools looking for food. Hopefully their bad luck would lead them elsewhere.

12