The True Meaning of Wedding Rings

Story Info
A lesbian learns who she's really married to.
4.8k words
4.55
17.1k
32
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm sorry sweetie, I'll be running late tonight."

An exasperated sigh answered Mary from the other end of the phone. It was a sound she'd gotten all too familiar with over the last few weeks. Not that she could blame her wife for being fed up -- this would mark the tenth time this month work kept her well past the expected 9 to 5.

"I know, I know. I promise this'll be over soon. There's just so much crunch going on to get this big project greenlit. I swear I'll make it up to you, love."

"Yeah, I get it. Just...it gets lonely here without you."

"Aw babe, do you have a crush on me?"

"Maybe. Certainly makes marrying you for the money a lot easier to stomach. I guess."

Mary giggled softly, smiling at the phone. As tough as all this overtime was, it was comforting to know Katherine was still her rock. She made a mental note then and there that the day this "Big New Contract" was finished she'd take her wonderful, patient wife out for the night of her life. Which unfortunately meant getting back to work.

"Well I love you too. I'll see you tonight just as soon as my meeting with the client wraps, 'kay?"

"Alright. But be sure he doesn't talk your ear off. He might be paying for your time but you're still my wife, got it?"

"Got it," she said, sending Natalie off with an obnoxious smooching noise before hanging up. No sooner had she set her phone down than her office intercom chimed to life.

"Hey boss, Mr. Remiel is here. May I send him in?" came the voice of her assistant. She could tell from the tone of voice he was itching to go home just as much as she was.

"Yes, that'll be fine, Terry. And you can head out now -- this is my last meeting of the day and we shouldn't need any help. Have a good evening."

"You too, Mrs. O'Hare!"

Mary quickly stood up and walked from behind her desk, giving herself the once-over to make sure her pantsuit was neither mussed or wrinkled from the workday. Moments later, Nico Remiel stepped through her office door, with all the confidence a multi-millionaire businessman could command. He was tall, with closely trimmed dark hair and a well-groomed beard to match. He cut quite the figure in his dark blue suit, casually straightening his tie as he entered -- more for show than anything, she was sure -- before offering his free hand to her.

"Mrs. O'hare, wonderful to finally meet your acquaintance," he said, barely waiting for her to respond before gripping her hand for a firm shake. That was when she noticed his ring.

It was a rather simple piece of jewelry -- nothing like the heavy and gaudy "man rings" most of the men Mary worked with loved to sport. It was a thin silver band with a small but brilliantly blue stone set inside. The gem itself was polished to a mirror shine, catching every ray and beam of light from either the office lights, the waning sunlight in the windows, or both. It was quite beautiful really, and surprisingly elegant for such a young man. Mary was used to meeting cocksure upstarts or bitter husks in her line of work, and they loved to carry big chunks of ugly gold and gemstones on their hands. She decided to take it as a good sign that Mr. Remiel wasn't so insecure.

Then Mary realized she'd been staring in silence for a few seconds, her hand still gripping his. Embarrassed, she withdrew her arm and pretended to clear her throat before bringing her attention back to sharp, brown eyes.

"It's quite nice to meet you as well, Mr. Remiel. I'm sure you're quite busy, but I appreciate you making time to speak with me."

"I'm more than happy to -- and please, call me Nico. I'm glad to talk business, but no need to keep things too formal, right?"

"Oh, o-of course," Mary stuttered. Again, the men she worked with usually insisted on being called "sir" if anything. But if Nico was comfortable enough to be on a first name basis, all the better for their business relationship. "Please call me Mary, then, if you don't mind."

"Not at all, Mary," replied Nico with a soft smile. "Now, let's get down to business, shall we?"

From there the meeting went so swimmingly Mary could hardly believe it. The new contract was a large undertaking for her firm, and typically clients wanted to micromanage every last detail to death. Yet Nico was an absolute breath of fresh air -- he asked questions not to second guess her professional opinions, but to assure he understood her intentions. He was attentive and humorous and by god he actually kept eye contact with her instead of trying to undress her while speaking. Things went so well, it was only when she noticed how dark the office had grown that Mary realized they'd been talking for hours.

"Goodness, I hadn't realized it had gotten that late. I'm sorry to have kept you so long, Nico."

Nico merely smiled, fishing his phone out of a jacket pocket to check the time himself. "Don't think anything of it. Time flies when you're making money, no?" He cocked his eyebrow to tell her he was joking, and Mary giggled softly in response. "But it's probably best to call it here for tonight. I don't want to keep you from your husband too late."

"Husband?" Mary furrowed her brow.

"I noticed your wedding band, earlier. Unless I'm mistaken about that ring on your finger?"

"Actually, you are mistaken, just not about the ring," Mary answered, holding her left hand up to show off the simple golden band on her finger. "It's my wife I'm keeping waiting."

"Oh!" Nico said, embarrassed for the first time since he'd entered the room. "Well that's what I get for assuming. I do beg your forgiveness." He smiled slightly, before grasping her outheld hand in his own and placing a kiss on the back. It was a sudden, overly familiar move and Mary felt the spark of an urge to yank her hand from his grasp. She held back though -- it wouldn't do to upset a client over a single faux pas -- and as she fumbled for a response she noticed his ring again, on the same hand still casually holding hers.

It really was beautiful. Even in the low lights of her office, it seemed to glow with a faint aura. What kind of stone was it? And how did Nico take such good care of it to keep it unblemished? It made for such a perfect image there, with his neatly trimmed nails and strong, smooth fingers.

"Don't worry about it," Mary mumbled. "It's not the first time, honestly."

"All the more reason for me to apologize. Please, let me make it up to you by treating you to dinner." He punctuated the offer with another peck on her hand, just below the wrist. His beard tickled. His ring sparkled.

"Well actually, I really do need to be getting home to Katherine. I've been working late so often that I'd hate to keep her up without warning." Mary felt a little letdown. It would have been nice to go out but...she couldn't do that to her wife.

"Of course, of course. Then how about tomorrow night? I can pick you up right after office hours, show you a good time, and have you back home after a nice, relaxing evening. How's that sound?"

"That sounds...lovely, actually."

"Wonderful. It's a date."

* * *

"Sorry sweetie, I'll be late again tonight. I've got another meeting with that client, and I'm not sure how long I'll be." Mary grimaced at her phone. It was a good thing Katherine hated video chatting -- even with a little white lie, Mary could never keep a poker face.

Katherine groaned over the line. "You know, I've half a mind to head down there to have a word with this client of yours. They can't keep you all to themselves."

"Oh please no," Mary chuckled softly. "So long as tonight goes well this should seal up everything with the contract, and I'll be getting home on time every night for a good long while. Just one more night, and I swear I'll make it up to you."

"Fiiiiiiine. But I'm holding you to that. I expect to be treated to an unimaginable night on the town after this."

"We'll paint the town red, love. Bye-bye."

As she hung up the phone, Mary couldn't help squirming a bit. She'd never been one to lie -- especially not to Katherine! -- but she also wasn't up for the potential fight telling the truth could bring. How could she explain that the deal was already inked, and she'd let herself get prodded into a dinner rendezvous? Especially since she was so excited to be treated. Much as she wanted to spoil her wife, Mary was in the mood to let off steam and relax too. If Nico was willing to oblige for his -understandable -- mistake, who was she to deny?

As if on cue, there was a short knock at the door before the man himself walked in. He looked just as sharp and confident as the day before, though he'd lost the tie for a more casual look. His silver ring glittered just as much as always when he reached out to bring her offered hand to his lips again. Mary giggled a little -- she wondered if he'd picked up that habit overseas, or if he was just always that forward with coworkers.

"Wonderful to see you again. And may I say, you look positively lovely." And he certainly seemed to mean it, giving here the once-over more than once. Mary couldn't blame him, she'd spent quite a while the night before picking out her dress -- black, long enough to be professional but still fashionable, with perhaps a hint more cleavage than was strictly advised by the company dress code. She'd complemented it with some lacy stockings that dared to show their garters just past the hemline, and a pair of red heels she hadn't touched since attending her cousin's wedding last year.

It was altogether a more flirty look than necessary, and if Katherine hadn't slept in that morning she'd surely have had questions about her wife getting so dressed up for work. But Mary prided herself on looking her best on a date, and that included polite playdates with a client. She'd even redone her makeup at the end of the day to look the part.

"Flattery will get you everywhere, Nico. And may I say, you look quite nice yourself."

"It's the finest my personal stylist could drag out of me, thank you. Don't spend too long staring though, or we'll miss our reservation." With a smirk he offered his arm, which she readily took with both of her own. Giggling, she walked with him towards the elevator.

As she could have guessed, Nico drove a very posh looking sports car, though for the life of her Mary couldn't guess how to pronounce the manufacturer's name. She also noticed it was a stick shift, and she couldn't help staring at his ring as he effortlessly shifted gears during the drive. Nico didn't seem to mind -- he kept talking as they drove, and Mary did her best to respond, but could feel herself spacing out. The overtime must have taken more out of her than she'd thought.

But even as she felt her attention fade, she couldn't feel worried. This was supposed to be a fun night out to let go of all that stress, so why not follow the feeling? Mary let the world fade around her, leaning back in the plush passenger seat and just...relaxing. She wasn't asleep, but everything outside the car seemed to disappear behind a haze. All she was aware of was the thrum of the engine, the rumble of Nico's deep and charming voice, and the glinting lights of the city at night reflected in his ring. For how long she just sat there, taking it all in, she couldn't tell, but she didn't want to either. What she wanted was to enjoy this relaxing drive through the night, and let herself drift away.

"Mary? I haven't lost you, have I?"

"Hmm?"

"I was saying we're here."

"Oh!" Sure enough, the car had come to a stop, and a nervous looking young man was opening her door. Behind him stood a large entry way to a towering hotel. The gilded sign above the doors read "Luxor" -- the priciest, most prestige skyscraper of suites in the city. Still a little out of it, Mary stepped up out of the car, thanking the valet as he closed the door behind her.

"I'm so sorry, I must have been more tired than I thought. Hope I wasn't a total bore."

"Nonsense," Nico replied, walking around the car. He handed the keys off to the valet with barely a glance. "Talkative or silent, you make for absolutely gorgeous company."

Mary felt a twinge of annoyance for a moment. Surely he couldn't mean her looks mattered more than what she had to say? But the feeling washed away quickly, and she told herself to take the compliment. Nico came up close, maneuvered his hand behind her to casually grab her hip, and pulled her into his side. Sighing pleasantly, she leaned into him as they walked towards the waiting entrance.

"I can't believe you're bringing me here. This place is so...expensive."

"Only the best for my date. I promise you'll have an enchanted evening -- the food here is to die for."

The food was good, but the drinks were even better. Mary was nervous at first, realizing the menu didn't even list the prices, but before she could make up her mind Nico took the initiative and ordered for them both. Really, he took the lead through the whole meal, regaling her with tales of overseas vacations and extravagant adventures. For a man so young, he seemed like he'd been anywhere and everywhere, and just hearing his stories had her jealous.

She realized as the night wore on that she wasn't speaking much, but he didn't seem to mind at all. So she sat across from him at their table, tucked away in a cozy corner of the restaurant, and listened. It was calming to sit and listen, leaning forward so gradually she didn't realize it, staring into Nico's eyes. They were gorgeous, deep blue, and she felt lost in them. Lost in him. It barely registered when he softly grasped her hand and brought it to his lips. His kiss was warm, soft, and the first of many as his lips trailed down over her wrist.

By chance, as he pecked his way down her arm, Mary caught sight of the golden ring on her own hand, catching the light but for a moment. It was a split second, but it felt like a rush of ice cold water flowing down her back. It was her ring; her wedding ring.

The one Katherine had given her on the best day of her life.

"I...we can't do this. I should leave."

Nico paused, looking taken aback for the first time since they'd met. He gazed at her with a question in his eyes for a moment before straightening up in his seat. He lowered her hand but didn't let go, thumb gently caressing her palm. She didn't think to pull it away.

"I'm sorry if I overstepped but...well, I like to think I'm good at reading people. And you were seeming very, very into this, love." By the time he finished talking, that unshakable, confident smirk was back on his face, as if it had never left.

"I am, but I...just...can't. You know I'm married! To a woman! I've never even been with a man before. I've never felt like...like I am right now...before. But I can't cheat on Katherine. I'd never be able to forgive myself for hurting her." Even as she spoke, Mary still felt hot. Her face and chest must be beet red from how flushed she felt. She still hadn't moved her hand.

"Well then, I can't say I'm not disappointed. You've truly been a wonderful companion tonight, Mary."

"The same to you. I can't remember the last time I felt this wonderful."

"Before you take your leave, though, can I say something?"

"Of course..."

"It's just that, it seems to me, that everything you just said -- that you're married, that you've never slept with a man -- those are all reasons why you think you shouldn't join me tonight." Gracefully, without breaking eye contact, Nico placed the palm of his right hand against her left. Their fingers splayed out in mirror, her nails barely reaching the tips of his digits. "But what you haven't said yet is that you don't want to be with me.

"I'm the type of man used to getting what he wants, but I can certainly take 'no' for an answer if I think you mean it. If you tell me right now, in your own words, that you want this night to end, then I'll arrange for a ride to take you straight home, no hard feelings."

His wrist shifted ever so slightly, and suddenly their fingers were interlacing. He grasped her hand firmly, and she felt her own involuntarily grip the back of his.

"Or you can be honest with yourself and me. In which case you'll finish your drink, leave this table with me, and allow me to make you mine tonight, the way we both know you want."

Mary, stared in silence, feeling like her heart was about to beat out of her chest. When had she leaned back into him? When had she gotten lost in those eyes? When had the scent of his cologne become the only thing she could breathe? When had she started to taste the whisper of his words on her lips?

When had this man become her entire world?

"Well, Mary, what's the truth? Will you stay with me, or leave?"

The words were out before she could even think. If she even could think.

"I want to be with you."

Nico smirked, a look of smug assurance glinting in his eyes.

"Good girl."

With barely a twitch, their lips met. Mary closed her eyes, and let the sensations wash over her. She melted into the sensual energy, and the world drifted away. She knew in an instant she'd made the right choice. This was what she wanted. This was where she belonged.

She was his.

* * *

"I'm so, so, so sorry, sweetie. There's been an absolute catastrophe tonight with one of the contracts I've been drawing up. I'm going to be here all night trying to get everything fixed."

"Oh god, really? You're sure it can't wait 'til tomorrow?"

"It has to be finished for the morning -- I'll be cutting it close working on it here, there's no way I could get it done in between commutes."

"Alright...do you want me to bring you anything?"

"Oh I'd love that, but please don't put yourself out. I've got Terry about to go on a supply run. I promise I'll head home the moment this is taken care of. Okay?"

"Okay...just don't push yourself alright? I'll be sure to have some dinner saved for you. Love you."

"Love you too, honey."

Mary smiled as she hung up her phone, set it to silent, then slipped it into her purse. She wondered for a moment if she should feel guilty about lying to Katherine, but since the moment she'd agreed to Nico's proposition, she'd felt nothing but a warm and sensual excitement bubbling beneath the surface. She'd made her choice. This was what she wanted. Nothing else mattered right now.

She turned her attention to the large vanity mirror ahead of her, and returned to touching up her makeup. After their meal, Nico had escorted her to the elevator, saying he'd had the penthouse suite reserved for the night. Once there, they'd enjoyed some champagne on the sofa, kissing and necking in front of a gorgeous window view of the city, before he'd sent her to the master bath to freshen up -- and lose her dress. She'd taken the opportunity to make her excuses to her wife, since she was sure she wouldn't be much for talking the rest of the night.

It occurred to her that Nico must have been planning to sleep with her since the beginning; reserving this suite at the same hotel as their date couldn't be a coincidence. She thought that a bit presumptive, but couldn't stay mad. He'd been right, after all. As she looked herself over in the mirror, taking in her lacy black bra, flimsy panties, and the flirty garter belt clipped around her hips, she wondered if she'd been planning for this too. It seemed crazy, yet here she was, sex on bright red heels, the perfect image of a woman ready to fuck.

Mmm, she was ready to fuck. With that thought spurring her on, she slinked out of the bath and into the master bedroom, luxuriating in the feeling. Nico was there, already naked, and she drank in the sight as she strutted through the doorway. Her eyes alighted on his broad shoulders, down his muscular chest, past his lightly toned abs, and down to his...

"Ohhh" Mary sighed, as she stared transfixed at his engorged cock.

12