The Twelve Vitali Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Zio," he said warmly as his Uncle Cosimo answered the phone. He exchanged pleasantries until getting to the reason for his phone call. "Listen, I met this great girl tonight, everything was going well, getting along like a house on fire until she learned I was a Vitali," he explained. He knew that his uncle already knew where he was and who he was with, but he supplied the name anyway, "Catriona Leone."

Before he'd even hung up the phone an information packet had arrived in his email, and he opened up the summary page and skimmed it, planning on reading it more carefully after he had attempted to talk to her one more time before retiring for the night on the couch. He went through a gamut of emotion as he read of the struggles she'd endured and how she and her brother had managed to rise above their circumstances again and again. The assault had made him see red, and the betrayal of her trust perpetrated by Ricco disappointed him. It was a wonder she hadn't slapped him or scolded him for trying to make her into a paid escort in his own life. Still, since she hadn't done that, he thought it could work and be beneficial for them both. Taking the one leverage point he could find in the quick scan he had done of the summary, he stood and went to the closed bedroom door.

"Cat," he knocked gently, seeing the light shining from under the door. "Talk to me. Tell me why you think my family wouldn't believe us?" he heard movement just as he was about to knock a second time and stilled his hand.

"I'm sorry," she said softly in a tired voice as she opened the door. "I shouldn't have reacted that way. It wasn't anything to do with you, so please don't take it personally."

"Please come back out and talk to me. I'm not nearly as much of an asshole as the rest of my family," he gave her a crooked grin.

"You have it wrong, your family have been nothing but wonderful to me and my brother," she smiled and let him take her hand to lead her back out to the small living room. "It's me; I just don't fit into that world."

"I don't agree," he said. "A few cosmetic touches and no one would believe you weren't born to it."

"Your family knows I wasn't," she argued.

"I want you to listen to what I have to say calmly and let me explain before you react this time," he said enigmatically. "Deal?"

"Deal," she narrowed her eyes at him but sat back in the armchair she had taken across from where he sat on the couch, trying to remember that this man held David's career in his hands.

"You know that my family is wealthy and powerful," he paused and watched as she nodded, saying nothing. "It's standard procedure for the head of our security to do a background check on anyone who works for or becomes involved with a member of our family. When you had such a..." he paused again searching for the right word, "Strong reaction to my family name, I called and asked for the report." He spun his tablet toward her so she could see the summary page with her name at the top. He could have lied, but honesty between them was going to be paramount if a partnership like he wanted was ever going to work.

"Oh god!" she gasped and hung her head.

"We made a deal that you would let me finish my explanation," he said quickly and waited until she looked up at him again and saw the fear and sadness in her crystal blue eyes. He hated that her past had made her feel that way.

"Yes, I know about your mother and brother and the struggles you had. I know Frankie helped you out. I know about Ned and what he put you through. Vanessa, my father, and even Ricco," he confirmed her worst fears but went on. "None of that matters to me. None of it, you are brave and honest and speak your own mind. You are resilient and funny, and, despite everything, you are still kind and gracious when life is cruel. I have never admired someone as much as I do you. Your strength and fortitude are phenomenal."

"I don't think you understand," she said in a wavering voice. "I'm here because I left all of that behind. I don't want to be reminded that I am that girl and not good enough to be anything but who she was, who I am. I want better, I want more. Not just for me, but for David too. My brother," she finished lamely.

"I'm giving you the opportunity to have more, to make yourself into a new person. To go back to Melbourne as someone they barely recognise. To meet all those people as their equal, or better, and as an extra incentive to consider the proposal I am offering, I will do what I can to fast track your brother's career, if, and only if, he shows aptitude."

"You still want the partnership with me? You have barely known me five hours!" she gasped in shock. "You may know all my dirty laundry, but nothing about the real me is in that report."

"You have been real and honest since the moment you walked through that door and announced you weren't leaving. That's more than I usually get from anyone I meet. You're not like any woman I have ever met," he chuckled. "I think this arrangement could work out well for both of us if we stay honest with each other," he said. "We go into this with our eyes wide open, no surprises, no revelations, we will put everything out on this table and be sure that what we want and what we need is in the contract before we officially start dating."

"What about Ricco? He's your brother. Won't this," she waved her hand at the contract, "Cause issues between the two of you? I don't want to be dubbed the Yoko Ono of the Vitali brothers. I never did, that's why I left him, because of his commitment to Jacobi."

"As far as he or anyone else in my family are concerned we will be madly in love. He had his shot and blew it. He let you walk away, why would it be a problem?" Matteo realised at that moment that Ricco was the one that had made her swear off love for good. More fool him then, because, from what he could see, this girl was a catch, not that he wanted her love, he'd never be that vulnerable to the machinations of a woman again, but he could see how amazing she could be in every other way.

"When you put it like that, I guess it's not," she said with an edge to her voice. "We split up amicably enough, no big messy scenes," she admitted burying that one lapse in judgement on her behalf deeply, along with the pain of not being good enough deep within, and looked up at the man who thought she could be more than good enough for his family... With a complete make-over, she reminded herself.

Matteo held his hand out to her and smiled. Once again she saw the paper ring fashioned from the label of his beer bottle and giggled.

"Promise to think about it, all of it," he suggested in an earnest voice. "And I will promise you I will never let you down like those men have done in the past. I will be there for you whenever you need me. I will be the best friend you could wish for."

There it was, Cat thought and closed her eyes. What he was truly asking her to commit to was a loveless marriage. She would have a friend and a confidante, but she would never be his everything, there would be no romance, no hearts and flowers, and what happened if he or she, given time, wanted kids. Her earlier words about conjugal visits came to mind, closely followed by the simmering passion she had shared with Ricco, and felt her heart contract and threaten to shatter again.

"I know there will be some kinks to work out, but at least think about it. I want this more than I can tell you right now, but I won't rush you to answer," Matteo said into the silence, seeing a range of emotions cross Cat's face.

"I was supposed to stay in this place for a week, but I expect Mrs. Donati will move me tomorrow knowing the mix-up. Instead of relying on her generosity, find me a place to stay nearby, and we can give this proposal of yours a trial run as we get to know each other this week. If at the end of that week you still feel the same, then we'll deal with the contract, but," she hesitated. "As an act of good will, can you see if there is anything you can do to help my brother's career?"

"Done and Done," he said. "Unless you would like to stay here, then I will move," he suggested.

"No, you've obviously unpacked and settled in," she said easily. "Since you know everything there is to know about me and why I would consider a contract marriage. Why don't you tell me how you got so jaded?" she asked, "Since we are being so honest with each other."

By the time Matteo had finished the story of how Nik had used him as a distraction for her overprotective parents, and briefly touched on what had occurred after their breakup and her subsequent incarceration for murder and how she died, he felt better about it. It was relatively new information for him too, and saying it out loud had been cathartic, in a way. He wasn't ready to tell her about his mother. He also wondered about when the right time would be to tell her about the strict requirements of joining his family. He didn't think the trial would be so bad, some etiquette and elocution lessons wouldn't go astray, and he knew she was smart. Thankfully the trials around the marital bed had been dispensed with generations ago in his family, even though he knew other tables, like the Donatis', had kept strictly to the old laws. The fate of the Pellegrini table was a testament to what could happen when the laws of the tables were ignored.

"I get it now, but I get the feeling its more than just that," Cat said, looking into the deep warm pools of his eyes and seeing a reticence to discuss it any further. As long as it didn't, or wouldn't affect her, then she wouldn't push him. She had things she'd rather not discuss as well. Her feelings for Ricco, for example, and the knot of dread she felt about seeing him again as his brother's Girlfriend.

"It's late," he said, changing the subject and considering all he had to do to make this week as productive as possible for their possible partnership. "We both have meetings in the morning. Would you like to have lunch with me? I can pick you up from your meeting if you like."

"I'm not sure how long my meeting will go, but I could call you and see how your day is going when it's done," she suggested, not wanting to commit to anything until she'd had time to think. "I should get some sleep though, so give me your phone," she held out her hand. He passed it over and she put her number in his contacts and texted herself before passing it back.

"Sure, that will work," he agreed. "Good night, Cat," he smiled.

"Good night, Matt," she said softly, and went to bed feeling awkward now about making him sleep on the couch.

*****