The Twelve Vitali Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,536 Followers

"Hello, Catriona," a deep male voice said, walking into the room and interrupting the sombre conversation. "You are looking much better than the last time I had the pleasure of meeting you."

"I'm sorry," Catriona frowned. "I'm not sure I remember. Have we met before?"

"My name is Paolo Vitali, Frank and I convinced the ambulance drivers to hand you over to our care on the night you were attacked," he said to jog her memory.

"Oh, I am so sorry for the way I acted that night, I wasn't thinking very clearly. Thank you for everything you did for me," she smiled and blew soft air kisses onto his cheeks as he embraced her. She looked beyond him to see Joshua Donati and another man talking quietly to Matteo and Ricco.

"This is my good friend, Marcus, he will speak to you while we talk to my nephews," he introduced the stranger to her. "You know Joshua, of course," he smiled as the two men approached her.

"Yes, I know Josh," she smiled and stepped forward to kiss his cheek, "I hope tonight goes well for the family. Have they all had a sneak peek yet?"

"No, only D. and me have seen the portraits. Peri has been guarding it against any prying eyes," he chuckled. "They are going to love it just as much as we do, you captured their personalities perfectly," Josh chuckled.

"I personally can't wait to see it. Dino is my brother and part of the Donati Family now," Marcus enthused.

"I thought you looked familiar, in a strange sort of way," Cat tilted her head. "I can see the family resemblance now that you have said that."

"I didn't think the resemblance was that strong," Marcus frowned.

"Maybe because I had to study his features for some time and get to know his mannerisms when I was doing his portrait," she suggested, "I can see similar traits in you."

"That's very flattering, considering he is my younger brother," Marcus chuckled. "Come, let's sit and talk to me for a little while." Marcus said solicitously, and Cat realised that Matteo and the other Vitali men had already left the room.

"I'm afraid I am needed elsewhere as well, so I will see you tonight," Josh said with an easy smile and walked toward the door.

"I feel like something is going on, and I am the last to find out what it is," Cat said seriously and looked at Marcus.

"Roberto tells me that you prefer people to be honest and not beat around the bush, so I will tell you what is happening as succinctly as possible. It seems that Stefano Vitali has refused to have much needed and critical surgery until the question of his successor has been decided. He has had another episode overnight that has put him in an intensive care unit until he will agree to the surgery or become unconscious, wherein Roberto will be able to make the decisions for him," Marcus explained without pulling any punches.

"Oh no!" Cat's hand flew to her chest, covering her own heart as she thought of Stefano being so stubborn about his health.

"Those two men in there are more than likely about to become the new leaders of the Vitali family. I cannot say or know which will be Chair or Oracle, but what I can say is that they both love you, which will make the decision all that much harder, or easier, depending on your feelings for them," Marcus considered the young woman in front of him. "I am told that you are aware of what is required of you should you wish to remain part of their lives, so it will come as no surprise, given the circumstances, that Roberto would like you to leave with me after the art exhibition tonight to begin your trial with the Battaglia."

Cat gasped involuntarily. She hadn't had enough time to just enjoy being with Matteo in their new found relationship, let alone even entertain the thought of what it would mean for him to be named as Chair. The sudden realisation that he could be named Oracle and she would be given a choice to marry Ricco in order to remain in Matteo's life stunned her. She was lost for words, and it all felt like too much was happening too soon. Talking about the future as an abstract possibility was one thing, leaving now or tonight with this man and not having the time to talk with either Ricco or Matteo properly before she left was a scary proposition. What if she went through all of this drama and the trial only to return and find that Ricco was the Chair and had no wish to marry her. She sighed heavily and looked up, meeting Marcus's serious eyes.

"The choice, as always, is yours to make," Marcus said gently, seeing the shock register on her face.

"And if I refuse to go tonight? If I ask for a few days to consider what is happening?" Cat asked.

"Roberto has asked for me to take you with me tonight, I am unsure about your options to negotiate, given Stefano's condition and demands. He gave me the impression you were aware that this would be asked of you as soon as possible because of the time constraints the family is undergoing. I'm afraid, after this morning's news, the window of time for negotiation is closing fast," Marcus said softly.

"Could we leave in the morning?" She asked, trying to wrap her mind around the reality of what she had agreed to in Roberto's office days ago. Her fingers almost unconsciously stroked over the gold bracelet with the kitten clasp Matteo had given her. "I..." She looked up at Marcus and saw him calmly looking back without judgement. "Does Matteo know?"

"He and Ricco are being told about Stefano's condition now, and that they will both be expected to return to Melbourne tonight," Marcus nodded. "They will be expected to step up into a more active role within their family and support each other and their siblings over the coming days and weeks. Roberto wants Matteo's attention firmly on his family knowing that you are in a safe place with us."

There had only ever been one other outsider sent to the Battaglia for a trial like this. It was a rarity that the men destined to rule the twelve families sought a wife outside of the confines of the laws and traditions of tables. Peri had been that one, and the final week of that trial had been a dismal failure for the Battaglia, despite having an eventual successful outcome for the Donatis'. Marcus would be this young woman's bodyguard himself if she agreed to accompany him back to the facility, but he wouldn't force her if she were unsure of her commitment to become part of the Vitali family. The pride of his family and their facility could be restored if this young woman grew to become everything they hoped she'd be, and he was determined to ensure her safety.

"But does he know I will be leaving tonight?" She asked directly, thinking that she would be better off here supporting him. "I won't leave him again, not without talking to him first," she stated, allowing no compromise in tone.

"Again?" Marcus quirked an eyebrow.

"We haven't had the easiest of starts to our relationship, and I won't do anything to jeopardise the trust we have now. I promised I wouldn't leave again, and if I have to, for the trial, I want to talk to Matteo about it first," Cat stated in the same uncompromising tone. "Matteo is my priority, not Roberto's agenda."

"Come with me," Marcus stood and led the way further back into the apartment. He tapped lightly on a closed door before opening it and ushering Cat inside.

"Marcus," Roberto said, frowning at the interruption and seeing Cat look around at the six men in the room.

"Roberto," Marcus nodded. "Tell him why I am here," he instructed. "She is not a pawn in a game and won't be used like one so easily. She needs to know Matteo wants this, not you or I, him. She won't leave him without knowing he wants her to go."

"Why would she be going anywhere?" Matteo growled at his father and came to his feet, closing the distance between himself and Cat to stand at her side with a supporting hand gliding down her back in a soothing stroke.

"Marcus is here to take Cat to the Battaglia facility after the gallery show tonight to begin her trial," Roberto informed his sons, and saw the horrified reaction in Ricco's expression as he took in the words.

"Surely that's not necessary!" Ricco exclaimed, coming to her defence. "She could do the trial with us, like the girls did."

"It is different for an outsider who doesn't understand our laws and traditions," Cosimo spoke as Roberto seemed to contemplate his sons. "The thirteenth demanded it of Joshua and Peri, and it is no different for Matteo and Cat."

"You don't have to do this," Ricco said directly to Cat.

"If I want to marry Matteo, I do," she said quietly. "I know that it is expected of me, and I'm quite content to go. It's just the timing of it I questioned, and wondered why I couldn't leave in the morning rather than late tonight after the gallery. It felt strange not to be able to talk to the man I would be doing it for before I left and... well; I promised I wouldn't leave again without talking to him about what was going on first."

"Thank you, Marcus," Matteo said in a considered and calm voice, although his body language said that he was anything but calm as he stood beside Cat. She could practically feel him bristling as he listened to her. "If you'll excuse us for a few minutes," he said stiffly and guided her from the room.

"I can't imagine losing you now," he murmured softly, pulling her into his arms and holding her tightly against his body. "But the sooner you go, the quicker it will be over, and we can move on with our life... together. I will have a lot to deal with once Stefano has consented to the surgery, so maybe it is best right now," he tried to keep the concern over the unfolding events from his voice.

The older members of the family and its current sitting table had met last night to discuss the future and the fact that many of the sons of Roberto were still so young. Having come to a consensus, Jacobi had been called home, and they had come as one to speak with Matteo and Ricco today rather than wait until tomorrow. Matteo knew he didn't have the full picture yet, but he understood the significance of what was happening and dreaded what it all meant.

"I love you, Kitten," he murmured in her ear. "Ricco was right, you don't have to do this, but with everything that is going on right now I am not sure how much time we would have together, and perhaps this would be the best time for you to do the trial. I trust Marcus, and if he tells me he will keep you safe and oversee your trial himself, then I believe him and hope you will trust him too."

"At least you'll know where I am and how to get to me if you need to this time," she said softly. "I imagine they'll let us talk, it's not a prison or anything, so you can call me if it all gets too much and you need me."

"I'm supposed to be the one consoling you," he chuckled.

"I worry about leaving you when Stefano is so ill," she said softly. "My mother mightn't have been the best, but it still was devastating when she got sick, she almost died a few times before the final overdose," Cat admitted. "I know it's not the same, but he is your father, and I guess..."

Matteo bent his head and kissed her. He loved this woman and the way she was trying to help and comfort him, even when she must be terrified about being sent away to undergo a trial to see if she could measure up to his family's standards.

"I love you and need you, and the trial is the way to marriage for us and the happily ever after we deserve, so I'd like you to go with Marcus, the sooner, the better, and show them all what an amazing woman you are," he grinned. "Do not worry about me for a moment, Ricco will kick me in the ass when I get grumpy because I miss you," he brushed his lips against hers. "You can trust Marcus, he's a good man," Matteo reassured Cat again.

"Okay," she said with forced cheerfulness. "I guess I'm going tonight then. I should probably go home and pack a bag and get ready for the gallery then. Will you be very long in there?" she asked.

"Probably, but Knox will take you home, if that's where you want to go, or you can keep the appointment I made for you at the spa," he grinned at her.

"It won't be the same without you there getting a mani-pedi as well," she laughed.

"Whatever you want to do is fine with me, except going to the gallery early. Please wait for me before going to the gallery tonight. I'll know more about what's happening by then and can fill you in on the way," he reassured her. "I'm sorry all of this was sprung on us, but it can't be helped."

"I'm sorry too, I should have just accepted what Marcus said instead of causing problems for you," she sighed.

"You did the right thing. I would have been furious if I hadn't known before you were leaving," Matteo admitted. "I have to go back," he murmured. "Wait for me this evening, please," he kissed Cat. "I'll be home as soon as possible."

"Okay," she smiled. Call me if you need anything," she offered and stepped back, allowing Matteo to re-enter the room where his family waited impatiently for him.

*****

Cat had spent the afternoon in the company of Marcus. They had gone to visit Lucia, and Cat was grateful to see her friend and be able to talk to her about what was happening in her life. So much had happened to her in the last few months and in Lucia she found a sympathetic and understanding shoulder to lean on.

She felt better informed about what to expect of her trial, and by the time she had left Lucia's house she felt comfortable with Marcus and who he was within the scheme of the Tables as the heir apparent to the Battaglia family chair.

The final touches of her make-up had barely been put in place when the door to the studio apartment opened and a concerned looking Matteo walked in. Lines seemed etched into his face making him look older as he walked purposefully toward her and scooped her into his arms.

"I miss you already, and you haven't gone yet," he murmured, holding her tightly. "Give me five minutes to have a quick shower," he said after kissing her thoroughly and relaxing before her eyes.

"Don't rush, I don't mind being fashionably late," she laughed lightly. She was nervous about so many people coming to view just one portrait. Two, if she included the one Frankie brought up with him.

"In that case," his hands went to the zip on her dress.

"Not that late!" she laughed, trying to swat his hand away. "I've already done my hair and make-up, I can't shower with you!"

"Who said anything about a shower?" he asked as he walked her back toward the bed. He pushed the dress off her shoulders and stepped back, undoing the buttons of his shirt as he watched her step out of her dress and carefully place it over the back of the chair. He grinned as he pushed his pants down his thighs, watching her do the same with the lacey panties she wore. Unable to resist, he took her in his arms and kissed her roughly, pushing her onto the bed and raising her legs up along his torso, turning his head to kiss her stocking clad foot as his hands danced over her thighs.

Matteo groaned and bent over her, doubling her body over and opening up her pussy to him before entering her and finding her as ready as he was for this. There was no finesse in his movements as he gloried in the feel and sound of the woman he loved. She was his, he knew it in every fibre of his being, and the thought of sharing her, even with his brother, filled him with dread.

Cat whimpered in short gasping breaths as her knees wedged into her shoulders. Matteo was pounding into her like a man possessed, and in this position she could feel every tiny part of him sliding over her G-spot, causing her mind and body to surrender completely to the sensations he gave her. She came hard, her body writhing in the awkward position as he continued to pump, clutching her tightly in his arms.

It was only a matter of minutes later when Matteo lost his battle with the milking muscles of her pussy, and he filled her with his cum, groaning loudly and pressing forward to press his lips to hers. He swallowed her whimpers for long minutes before he freed her legs and smiled down into her face.

"You are the most amazing woman I have ever met," he kissed her again, feeling his cock soften and slide from her. "I will only be a few minutes in the shower, I promise, you might want to fix your make-up," he chuckled and stood to help her to her feet and turn her toward the mirror.

Within half an hour they were both redressed and ready to leave. Both of their phones constantly rang with people wondering where they were, and rushing from the apartment hand in hand they sped toward the gallery with Knox at the wheel. Cat was grateful that Knox had accompanied them on this trip, as Matteo's driving was beyond reckless. The crowd outside the gallery surprised Cat as they arrived, and she waited in the car until Matteo opened her door and helped her out.

"Is something else going on here tonight?" she asked in a quiet voice. "I thought this was just a small unveiling for the family?"

"It's a pretty big family," Matteo chuckled, taking her hand and guiding her inside. "Sorry we're late, my fault entirely," he said with a smirk as Peri rushed toward them.

"Well, hand her over and go and find Dante, he's been waiting for you!" Peri said like a mother chiding a naughty boy.

"Don't try to mother me, Peri Donati," he laughed but kissed Cat's cheek and wished her luck as Peri led her to the front of the crowd.

Cat nervously followed Peri through to the gallery that had not been opened to the guests yet, which was why the crowd had gathered outside. Temporary walls protected individual galleries and, almost like a maze, it would lead the guests through to a final room where the family portrait would be unveiled later tonight once everyone had arrived.

"Matt and Ric let us borrow your artwork from their building for the weekend. Ric sent it all up yesterday, and we have to return it Monday, but it looks spectacular here," Peri explained as they walked through the first few small galleries.

"This gallery was all Frank, he sent us some photographs and footage from this game and let us borrow the portrait that I first saw at his house," she continued to narrate as she walked the stunned Cat through the small exhibit into the final gallery where her sketches lined the walls under spotlights. The final portrait sat on a sturdy easel and was shrouded in a black velvet cloth.

"It's a bit late to make changes now, but I did say you could okay everything before we let the people in, and I am, if nothing else, a woman of my word," she said seriously, looking around. "Well, what do you think?"

"It's perfect," Cat whispered, overwhelmed by how much work had gone into this exhibition without her knowledge. Ricco and Matteo had never even hinted that they had done this for her. Even the small painting that lived in her garage looked good with the proper framing and lighting in place. ""I couldn't be happier," she said, embracing Peri, "Thank you so much. Where is Roz? I have to thank her too," Cat looked around wildly.

"I'm here," Roz said, stepping forward with Josh holding glasses of champagne. "A quick toast and then we'll let them in," she smiled. "To discovering an amazing artist who will hopefully let us hold more exhibitions of her future work," she raised her glass.

"To friends and family," Peri added and lifted her glass.

"To love," Josh grinned and added his glass.

"To second chances," Cat added after a moment's thought. "Thank you for taking a chance on me and my untried talent."

"You can let them in," Peri grinned at Josh. "Get ready to mingle, ladies," she said to the small group of waitresses that had appeared bearing trays of champagne and canapes.

Cat mingled until she found Matteo standing in a small group with Dante and Pete. The Donati family members that she had gotten to know during the gathering came up to greet her and spend time with her, and she began to relax into the evening, almost forgetting the fact that this was her exhibition as she laughed with people she called friends and nervously drank more champagne than she normally would have.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,536 Followers