The Twelve Vitali Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,533 Followers

"If I could have your attention, please!" Joshua's voice sounded over the crowd, and a silence slowly descended as people turned toward the larger gallery where he stood.

Ricco had been standing with Romy when the twelve Donati men had been gathered together to stand near the painting. Peri, it seemed, had marked places for them, and as Josh gave his heartfelt speech about being part of such a great family, he, too, moved toward a place within the tableau the twelve men made against the wall. He watched as Josh called Cat up to stand with Peri and unveil the portrait to the gasps of appreciation from the crowd.

The portrait was barely acknowledged by his mind as Ricco kept his eyes on Cat. She looked different, more sophisticated, maybe, in the designer gown and sassy new haircut that made her hair bounce over her shoulders in long layers, but it was more than that, she looked happy and relaxed within this crowd. The girl he had known and loved for the short time they were together was quiet and shy and would never have willingly stepped into the spotlight, and he marvelled at the changes in her.

Despite the changes in her outward appearance, Ricco knew she was the same girl he knew at heart. He had spent time with her during the family dinner, and the attraction he felt for her had only grown stronger, and as she thanked him for not letting an awkwardness spring between them, all he could think of was holding her and kissing her once again. Now he knew after speaking with Roberto this afternoon that his desire might be possible in the future. It was all he could think of, and he caressed the curves of her satin dress with his eyes as she stood beside the portrait accepting the praise she so richly deserved.

Tearing his eyes away, he sought out his brother in the room and was startled to find him watching him in return. What their family had asked of them this afternoon was not going to be easy, but for Ricco the rewards would be well worth any heartache he endured to get there. It was a shame he couldn't say the same for Matteo, but had the situations been reversed he wasn't sure he would be as happy either. Still, Matteo was not his biggest concern, he would have to face Jacobi tomorrow with the knowledge that, while his twin's childhood dreams were in tatters, he was about to get everything he wanted if everything went to his father's plans.

Ricco moved toward Matteo in the crowd and stood watching Cat with him as she accepted compliments and jovial criticisms of how she had portrayed each of the twelve men. They stood in silence for a time, both uncomfortably lost in their own thoughts about the woman in the spotlight.

"I'm not sure I can do this, Ric," Matteo murmured, surprising his brother. "I don't want her to leave tonight. I don't know what they will ask of her or if she will accept it. Why does it have to be now?"

"You've been a rolling stone for the last two years, never staying in one spot long enough to form any real bond, and now you want to marry and settle down with someone who seems to accept all that goes along with marrying an asshole like you. Is it any wonder they want to lock it in?" Ricco reasoned.

"It's too soon, we haven't had enough time to settle into our life together," Matteo admitted.

"You've had enough time to know that you want to spend the rest of your life with her," Ricco reasoned. "Besides, isn't it better for her to know from the outset exactly what the expectations of her will be? I'm not sure you'll be able to rely on Maryanne to help her, but Mia might if Kalum passes his trial."

"Mia," Matteo let a small smile drift across his lips. He and his older sister had a unique bond, and he knew he could rely on her to befriend and help Cat when the dust settled on this plan of senior Vitali men.

"You can trust me, Matt, we can work this out. You have to know I'd never do anything to hurt you or her," he said, even though the idea of having Cat back in his life, and possibly his bed, was more than appealing to him. He knew he wouldn't go there if Matteo or, more importantly, Cat didn't want it. With Jacobi, he had accepted that they would be a trio, but neither he nor Maryanne had embraced the idea enough to do anything about it, and he had resigned himself to a life without the sort of love they enjoyed. He wasn't sure he could resign himself to that sort of life where Cat was concerned if, and it was still only a possibility; he and Matteo were made the leaders of the next table and ultimately the family.

"Boys, you are far too serious for this celebration," Frank scolded them both as he came to stand with them. "You should be one of the first over there congratulating Catriona on the success of tonight, she will leave soon, and you will regret not spending every minute with her tonight."

Cat could see the lines return to Matteo's face throughout the night and wished there was some way to reassure him that no matter what happened over the next few weeks that she loved him and would return to him. She could see the conversation and its seriousness between Matteo and Ricco, and she knew that if, as Marcus said, they were destined to lead this family together that she would need to love them both. When it was just an abstract idea, she had thought she could let Ricco back into her life, but seeing them standing together as they were she admitted that she had never trusted Ricco or loved him the way she loved and trusted Matteo. She excused herself from the small group that had surrounded her and walked slowly toward the brothers and Frank with a wide smile.

"I can't believe you did all this for me, thank you!" she embraced Frankie, kissing both of his cheeks. "And you brought all the artwork up from HQ, you're amazing," she embraced Ricco, letting the hug linger as she kissed one of his cheeks in a soft movement compared to the air kisses she had given Frank. Then she turned to smile at Matteo. "I know you organised it all for me, and I love you for it," she hugged him fiercely, lifting her head for a proper kiss in front of the people now watching the small group.

Matteo took full advantage of what she was offering, holding her close and kissing her with passion, uncaring of those around them until Frankie chuckled and murmured that they should get a room.

"There isn't much I wouldn't do to make you happy," he said in a soft voice as the kiss broke. "I'm glad tonight was such a success for you. You deserve it."

"Anyone who can make my little brother look all heroic deserves the highest of praise," Marcus interrupted them with a chuckle.

"From what I hear I didn't need to try very hard, he is all heroic, all the time," Cat laughed in return.

"Hey, D., aren't you supposed to be the hero of that family?" Matteo called out to his friend.

"I am, but I don't mind pointing the spotlight on others now and then," he shrugged. "If they forget I just limp for a bit and the status is returned," he winked and limped off toward Peri and Josh.

"Matteo, I was wondering if we could have a quick chat," Marcus said seriously.

"As long as it's quick," Matteo said equally seriously. "We can use D.'s office, he won't mind." He bent his head to kiss Cat again, "I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Cat, about today, I..." Ricco began to speak, but Cat held up her hand.

"Ricco, I understand now about the secrets and why you kept me hidden when we were dating. I get it, I do, but I don't think I'm ready to think about what happened today and what that means for us. I love Matteo. I'm in love with him, truly madly, deeply, and I trust him completely," she admitted. "I'm not sure how much room that leaves for another man in my life," she said honestly.

"You can trust me, Cat. I would never intentionally hurt you or Matteo, I promise you that," he said in a low voice.

"We were never totally honest with each other, and therefore never fully trusted each other. If Matteo wants this, we will need to start being honest and rebuilding that trust," she said quietly and then repeated the most important words. "If, and only if, Matteo wants this, because I would never betray him, not for any reason."

"What about you? Or me? Do our feelings count at all?" Ricco asked. He was impressed by how honest and loyal she was with him, even if her loyalty was to his brother rather than himself.

"Matteo knows I still care about you, but he also knows our affair was very different from what I have with him," she said, tilting her head and not wanting to be hurtful by going into specifics. "I am assuming you still care for me, from what I have seen."

"Care might be a little understated for what I feel, but, yes, you are right," he acknowledged her words.

"I love him, Ricco, it's not like anything I have felt before, and it will be his decision in the end, not mine, not yours, and not your father's. I will go and do this trial, but make no mistake, I am doing this for Matteo, and him alone," she said, making her point as strongly as she could before turning around and walking away from him.

Ricco watched her walk away regretting the way he had treated her more than ever. If he ever wanted a relationship with Cat in the future he had a lot of work to do to get her to trust him again. He felt backed into a corner now. Jacobi and Matteo would both have very real reasons to resent him, and, at worst, blame him for what was about to befall them. The one bright spot in this situation had just become dull as he realised just how difficult it would be for her to forgive him completely, even if she now understood why he had treated her that way.

The bartender looked up as Ricco approached, if there was ever a man in need of a drink this man was him. He placed a heavy bottom glass on the bar and a bottle of Sambuca, which seemed to be the drink of choice with the men in this gathering, and waited.

*****

Cat had smiled brightly as she kissed Matteo goodbye. She was scared but was determined not to show it. She could and would do his. She had done a lot of things in her life she didn't want to and wasn't particularly proud of, and for him she could do this. She loved him, and it wasn't until tonight when she was talking to Ricco that she had actually voiced just how much she loved and wanted her relationship with Matteo.

His eyes clouded with uncertainty as she finally pulled away from his arms and stepped onto the tarmac where Marcus waited to take her away. He remained that way, unmoving for a long time, and she could see him from the small window of the private jet as it began to taxi to the runway.

"I would have liked to be there for him when he went to the hospital to see Stefano tonight or in the morning. It will be hard for him and his siblings seeing their father like that," she mused almost to herself as the plane lifted off. "You will tell me what happens, won't you? I mean, if the worst happens you will let me go to him?" she asked Marcus directly.

"Yes, I will escort you there myself," He reassured her. "Relax and get some sleep if you can, it's been a long day for you and the flight will take a few hours," his voice was soft but commanding, and she tilted her head hearing the inflexions of a command from another alpha male.

Cat closed her eyes thinking her situation through. If she went into this considering herself as a submissive in training and Marcus as the dominant Matteo had chosen to train her, then maybe she could bypass any guilt she might feel for betraying him at the facility. That was all this was, after all, training to become worthy of the name Vitali so she could marry him. Wife training, she laughed internally at the thought in this modern era. So many feminists would be rolling in their graves if they knew she had agreed to be trained as the perfect wife for Matteo.

She doubted he would love her any differently once it was done. This was, after all, more about family expectations and archaic laws and traditions than it was about her ability to love him and have him love her. Still, as she sat quietly with her eyes closed blocking out the large man who escorted her to the facility, she could if she ignored the societal norms that demanded political correctness, she could reconcile what she was about to do within herself.

*****

Matteo boarded his company jet, declining the offer to fly back with Roberto and his uncles; he wasn't in the mood for their mysterious 'we know best about the future' routine. He felt better after his chat with Marcus, but he had still hated letting her go and seeing the fear in her eyes behind her too bright smile.

Unsurprisingly, Ricco sat slumped in a chair waiting for him. Matteo considered his brother silently as he took his seat and did up the belt. They may as well get everything straight between them before they went to see Stefano and were forced into deathbed promises neither of them wanted to make, or at least he didn't want to make. He wasn't sure about what Ricco wanted now.

"If they name me as Oracle I'll renounce it," Matteo said abruptly. "I won't stand by and watch you marry Cat."

"Why would they make you Oracle? I'm not a leader!" Ricco turned his shocked expression on Matteo.

"Bullshit! Without you smoothing everyone's ruffled feathers for him, Jacobi was nothing more than a bully who liked to tell us all what to do. You were the one who got shit done in the end," Matteo shook his head. "He bullied you into going along with all of his plans, despite what you wanted. I can't believe you would have let Cat go if Jacobi wasn't pushing you. Yet he never included you in his relationship with Maryanne either."

"Yeah, well, that was a two-way street," Ricco defended his twin. "You can't fake chemistry, and Maryanne is not my type." Ricco shrugged. "I don't know what you think you know, but I never felt bullied by him, we were a good team. He ruffled the feathers to get people moving and thinking, and I smoothed them to get what we ultimately wanted."

"How do you think he'll take the news that you still get to lead and he doesn't?" Matteo asked.

"Not well, I'd imagine, but he's about to become a father for the first time, so maybe that will temper the news slightly. I'm looking forward to being an uncle at last," he grinned. "I need something to look forward to right now," he sighed.

"What do you mean? I thought you'd be happy. This is what you wanted, to lead the family," Matteo undid his belt as the plane levelled out and walked to the rear of the plane. "Come and have a drink, I think we are both going to need it for this conversation," he grumbled.

"Okay, here it is from my perspective, and don't hate me for sounding like a self-indulgent shit about this," Ricco prefaced what he was about to tell his brother.

"First we all find out that Maria is alive and all of the connotations that brings with it. The woman tried to kill us all," he began. "Then the three of our parents, together, rip Jacobi and me a new one for trying to wipe the memory of Alessandro from the family and claiming second son status. Jacobi took most of the heat for that because he truly believed he deserved to be the next leader of this family. He argued that that you, who had dropped out of any social interaction, couldn't possibly lead when you couldn't even fix your own life," he took a breath and swallowed the shot of scotch Matteo had placed in front of him.

"That's fair," Matteo acknowledged.

"No, it's not! You've been there for all of us whenever we needed you, regardless of what was happening in your own life and business. I couldn't let Jacobi throw you under the bus like that, and told him so. It was a pretty heated argument, and Jacobi hated that I sided with them over him. I hadn't realised how absolutely determined he was about leading until that moment. I mean, we thought it was the most likely scenario, given the dynamics of our family, but..." Ricco seemed to come out of the reverie with a shudder. "Let's just say he didn't take it well, and I imagine this news is going to be worse for him because of my part in it."

"I see. He covered that up well in front of the rest of us," Matteo mused as if to himself, trying to see the truth of what Ricco was saying.

"Then there is you. I have had to put up with months of your moodiness and disappearing acts, only to then be told that you are going to marry the woman I still care about and am wholly attracted to, and you expect me to be happy about it! I have swallowed down all of my feelings, including the remorse I have for the way I treated her, which in the end was for nothing, and been happy for you both. I really have tried my best for things not to be awkward between Cat and me for your benefit more than hers even," he let out his resentment over his bothers happiness in one big blurt of words and followed it up by downing another belt of scotch.

"I appreciate that," Matteo said, reading the hurt in Ricco's words and feeling for him on some level.

"That brings up to today's little drama," Ricco rolled his eyes. "Here I thought, great, this is everything I ever wanted. I love you, Matt. I can't think of anything better than working with you, living with you, being part of each other's lives with the added bonus that we both love Cat in our own ways. She at least doesn't hate me anymore, and we could build on that and become closer in time," he watched his brother's face as he spoke, seeing a flurry of emotions cross his face.

"Don't worry, Cat has made it perfectly clear that she is in love with you, "truly, madly, deeply in love", were her words. She told me that what she felt for you was so far removed and different from anything she and I had that I couldn't compete on the same playing field. She went so far as to tell me that she doesn't care what Papa wants or the family wants, she is doing this trial for you and only you. Whether the two of you let anyone else into your lives is entirely up to you because she would never betray the trust you have in each other." He downed the third drink and sighed. "So you see, you don't have to worry about me marrying Cat, she would say no, even if you asked her to accept me, I believe."

"Well, fuck!" Matteo said, astonished by Cat's words to Ricco.

"So, hooray for me and getting everything I wanted, right?" Ricco sat back in his chair and stared at his brother.

"Okay, now you can listen to me!" Matteo pinned his brother with a glare.

"Every woman I have loved in my life has betrayed me, and I have the scars to prove it!" he stated venomously. "Maria didn't touch you, she woke up to herself before that happened, it was Alessandro and me who bore the brunt of her insanity!" he jabbed a finger at the scar. "I was the one who was disposable, the one she didn't love enough to stop herself, not you or Jacobi, me and Alie!"

Ricco stared at his brother in disbelief that this was how he had felt all these years and considered how seeing Maria must have affected him.

"Every woman after that let me down in some way, and when Nik played her part so perfectly, I thought I had found someone who could love me, but she only proved that I was unlovable. She used me to distract her family from what she was really doing, and I shut myself off from everyone who had the power to hurt me like that," he admitted. "Jacobi was right; I didn't care for a long time."

"You always came when one of us needed you. You were always there to pick up the pieces or help out. You didn't shut off from us. Not once did you let any of us down," Ricco argued as he had with Jacobi. He knew that Matteo was the one person he and his siblings all looked to for help and guidance. He would make a great leader when the time came.

"That's different, I'm hardly going to see any of you in trouble and not help," he shook his head, "but I didn't stick around for the good times or the celebrations. I buried myself in work and convinced myself that was enough until an adorable rain-soaked young woman with mismatched socks and paint streaked across her face fell into my living room and unapologetically told me she was not leaving. I proposed to her that first night, and she ran away as soon as she found out what my name was." He chuckled at the memory of their first meeting.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,533 Followers