The Twelve Zenati Pt. 30

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey, we'll catch you up on everything once we are in the air," Xavier said his voice tense. Even though they all had a pilot's licence in order to get to and from the family properties with ease, Xavier was not a confident pilot always leaving that role open for his brothers and cousins. "Val should be here any minute. He's the only one Gid trusts with his baby while we talk about what happened in Adelaide. Go sit down Noah. Gen will show you what you need to know. It's a three-and-a-half-hour flight. We have time to talk over everything we know."

Noah suppressed a growl of impatience and turned back to the cabin. He could feel the eyes of Vivienne regard him in a measured way that told him she was wearing her doctor persona for this trip. His anxiety immediately rose about what had gone down to put Marcella in Massimo Farnese's pathway when she hadn't wanted the Donati to interfere in her leaving the gallery in Brisbane. He slumped into a chair near Vivienne trying to breathe and find that calm zone he had been forcing himself to live in for the last two weeks since being released from the hospital.

"She's a survivor Noah," Vivienne said gently causing him to look up at her.

"How much more can she survive and stay sane?" he asked.

"How long is a piece of string?" she asked with a shrug. "She's the strongest person I have ever met, and in my profession, that's saying something. She will survive this. We will make sure of it."

Genesis climbed on board with Olivia and Valdemar directly behind them. Valdemar shut the cabin door threw his overnight bag to Genesis and strode to the cockpit. Noah let out a sigh of relief as Xavier came back into the cabin and everyone silently took their seats for take-off. What the fuck was he going to do if he had to leave these people to be with Marcella. He couldn't imagine not having the comfort of knowing these men would drop everything for him at a moment's notice. No matter how he tried to reconcile what he might have to do to keep Marcella, Noah also knew he would do everything he could to make her accept his family along with him.

"She went to visit her sister Jessa in the hospital. It didn't go well, and she ran from the room and straight into Massimo," Genesis said once the plane began to level out. "Just remember not to shoot the messenger," he handed Noah his phone with the video from the hospital cued. "Remember we are here for you. Raging at us won't help anyone," Gen warned a second time and let his eyes flick to where Vivienne and Olivia sat meaningfully.

"I get it," Noah growled and snatched the phone jamming the earbuds into his ears and dreading what he was about to see.

*****

"Hello? Marcella?" A feminine voice interrupted the slight doze Marcella had allowed herself once the Farnese men had left her alone when her nephews had arrived at the hospital.

Marcella blinked her eyes open and found a pregnant woman with an open face looking at her with a sad expression. She was as feminine as the voice that spoke had led her to believe. Her hair curled around her face, and Marcella could imagine her whole face would light up when she smiled, and she would laugh with her entire body as her Aunt used to. Thinking of her Aunt caused another wave of pain to roll through her, and she closed her eyes again, trying to will the tears away.

"My name's Connie Farnese. I was told you are Marcella Gambaro, soon to be Marcella Zenati if I understand all the gossip properly," she said, introducing herself. "My husband was the big guy who tried to rescue you when you didn't need rescuing. A lot of people have been very worried about you. I believe your other sister Olivia is on her way to see you."

"Olivia is coming here?" Marcella asked in shock. "No, it's too dangerous she has to go back! She is safe there with them. You don't understand she's..."

"It's okay. We understand, and Olivia is not travelling alone. Your friend Vivienne is with her," Connie said, only mentioning the women and not the men who accompanied them.

"So, the brothers are coming too? All three of them?" Marcella asked alarmed at the thought. She knew very well that Gideon and Genesis would never let either of the women out of their sight for long enough to fly here alone.

"Maybe, I get so confused by who is who in the zoo, when it comes to other families. Are they all brothers?" Connie asked. "Pregnancy brain, you understand," she sighed. "This little one is almost cooked and should be making an appearance any day now. You know," she said conspiratorially. "I never wanted kids or to be part of a big family like this let alone making one myself," she laughed softly. But there is nothing quite like it, and I wouldn't trade being a mother for anything. I'm sorry your mother didn't protect you and Jessa better. Most mothers, like me, are ferociously protective. It was not seeing her children, and believing her husband made sure his parents took them away from her that made Jessa lash out at you like that. You understand that, don't you?"

Marcella said nothing gulping loudly and unable to fight back the tears any longer. She swiped at her eyes and let out a shuddering breath. Fuck, she didn't cry, she was strong, she was invincible, she was a fucking force to be reckoned with not some teary woman who couldn't face the reality of her life.

"They will stay with her or someone that will bring them to see her?" Marcella said, hating that her voice was not as confident as she would have liked it to be.

"Yes," Connie smiled softly. "I have organised for their belongings to be taken to my home where they will stay until Jessa is well enough to look after them herself. We also told her the information we have from Oscar Gambaro about your father and Uncles plans for the three of you and her husband's part in it. It will take her some time to adjust to the new information, but that's to be expected. I imagine she would not have mistreated you if she were not so brainwashed herself. It will take time, but eventually, you will get your sister back," Connie patted her arm, and her eyes mirrored the tears in Marcella's.

"What did I tell you about getting upset again, Sweet Cheeks?" Massimo said as he entered the room. His deep voice sounded like a growl even though his expression was pleasant enough.

"I warned her about my hormones, so it's all good," Connie waved him away.

"Who said I was talking to you?" Massimo winked at Marcella who frowned at being included in their banter. "Marcella and I had a moment together at the hospital when our eyes met, and she practically swooned into my arms. Before she started making demands of me," he chuckled.

"And I told you that you scared her and she probably almost feinted not swooned," Connie rolled her eyes and turned to Marcella. "This is my husband, Massimo, he's an incorrigible flirt so do not under any circumstances encourage him, or you will never get rid of him. That was my mistake and look at what happened to me," she patted her belly.

"Pfft, it was the other way around. I had to fight her off with a stick in the beginning until I finally gave in to her womanly charms," he grumped. "She does make the prettiest babies though, and I don't mind all the practising to get that part right," he grinned and bent to kiss the top of Connie's head. "Auro is heading to the airport to pick up our guests, so you have an hour maybe two at the most to prepare and for goodness sakes stop crying you know I can't handle it when you do that."

"Is Carmelo going with him?" Connie asked.

"No, he will be home with us in case our baby decides to make an appearance," Massimo smiled. "Shall we go? I have done what you asked Marcella."

Marcella nodded and accepted their hospitality. Now that Jessa would have access to her children, she had done all she could. She wished she could see the little boys and hug them and tell them they were loved, but she wouldn't do that after what Jessa had said. She was right, all of this was her fault and who knows maybe Jessa and Olivia could have been happy if she had just given up fighting the inevitable.

"Okay then help me up before you go, this baby thinks it's a dance party every time he hears your voice and my bladder just can't take it anymore," Connie grimaced.

"Be nice to your Mama, little one, she's the one with all the milk," Massimo crooned to her belly as he pulled her from the chair easily and placed a massive hand on her belly.

"Maybe you would like to use the bathroom too? Or freshen up?" Connie asked.

"Thank you that would be great," Marcella said softly.

"Sure, the bathroom is right through there, and once we get home, you can have a shower, and I will find you some fresh clothes to change into," Connie gave her a small smile. "It will all work out Marcella, trust me."

Marcella got up and walked to where the bathroom was. It was an average bathroom, nicely appointed. She looked into the large mirror and grimaced. Her makeup was a tear-streaked mess, and the blonde hair was little more than a bird's nest. She would have to face the people she cared about most in the world in less than two hours. She felt anything but strong or capable enough to withstand their judgement with her usual shield of protectiveness around her heart and emotions.

She had never cried as much in her life as she had in the last few weeks. Olivia had brought her to a messy puddle when she had asked her to stay, and then Jessa had done the same thing by asking her to go. Could she be happy in either case? Could she have been comfortable keeping to her bargain with Konrad to keep them all safe? Once again, she was in someone else's territory and at their mercy because she had no money, no identification, no means of getting away and going into hiding from the world.

All the way back to Connie and Massimo's home, her thoughts spun negatively with the words of Konrad, her sisters, even the anguished look on Noah's face when she had left him. She couldn't live through doing that to him again. Maybe he would be the one to walk away this time. He had every right to turn his back on her as she had done to him and his family. Maybe Connie would help her, keep her hidden somewhere within the house until they left.

Maybe she should stop being such a coward, own up to her mistakes once and for all and ask them to let her go. She would stop interfering in her sisters lives. She choked back a sob as the hatred in Jessa's voice filled her ears again. It made her remember how hostile Olivia had been in the beginning. When she had forced her way into her sister's life, and she had decided to take her back to Perth no matter what anyone else wanted. Her attempts to help her sister had worked in the end. She could see the love between Olivia and Genesis, so she had relented on forcing her rights as a blood relation to take Olivia home for medical and counselling help.

She'd been wrong about the Zenati men, even Noah. She hated that he had been shot because of her. That Zanto too, had been wounded, because of her. Most of all, she hated that she would only bring him more danger if she returned with them to Darwin because Konrad would come for her. She did not doubt that. He could play the charming and debonaire gentleman. Still, she had seen the cold, remorseless killer that lay behind that façade. He played games with other people's lives. While she owed the tables no allegiance, she wouldn't let Konrad harm anyone she cared about as her father and Uncle had.

Marcella resolved to tell the Zenati all she knew about Konrad's plans and ask to be returned to Perth to visit her Aunt's grave and try to piece her life back together. She would need to be strong in the face of Noah's love, but she couldn't let him be harmed because of her. Not him or Olivia. Not even Jessa though Jessa would not thank her for the sacrifice. Instead, Jessa would happily let Marcella go knowing they would never cross paths again.

The house they had arrived at was beautiful as she had known it would be. She allowed Connie to show her to a guest suite. It was so large it had its own walk-in wardrobe and bathroom. She showered as her thoughts rolled in her head. Connie arrived with clothes that were surprisingly perfectly sized for Marcella.

She was preparing herself to face the judgment and condemnation of the Zenati, standing at the window of her room. She looked out with growing anxiety for approaching cars when the door behind her opened and slammed closed. She turned to find a small girl in a pretty dress with unruly hair and bare feet leaning against the door and breathing heavily.

"Hello," Marcella said with a grin turning from her anxious vigil to talk to the girl.

"Hi," the girl looked at her with wide eyes. Noise in the corridor alerted them to whoever was looking for her. "Don't tell them I am here, please," the little girl whispered.

"Okay but you have to tell me why you are hiding if I don't," Marcella said, holding out her hand as if making a deal. The girl furrowed her brow and Marcella held up her hand sideways with the pinkie extended. "Pinkie promise you will tell me why you are hiding here if I get rid of them," she said seriously.

"I don't know what that means, but I promise," she whispered back.

"You hold your little finger up and wrap it around mine, and then we shake to make the promise unbreakable," Marcella explained helping the little girl to do it as she spoke.

"Excuse me," a smooth male voice said from the other side of her door. "You wouldn't happen to have a little girl in there with you, would you?"

"That's my Papa," the little girl gasped.

"I'm the only little girl in here although most people stop at calling me short not little," Marcella said with a wink at her new friend.

"Sorry to disturb you," the man said and hurried to the next door.

"You told a fib," the little girl whispered.

"I did not!" Marcella said indignantly. "If he had asked me for a pretty girl, a smart cookie, or even a brave girl I would have had to say yes, but anyone can see that you are not a little girl," she grinned again. "Now your turn to keep your end of the bargain. Let's start with your name," Marcella smiled and took her hand, leading her back to the bed where they could sit.

"My name is Concetta Maria Giovanna Farnese, and I am five. Well, almost five," she dropped her head, and her shoulders sagged. "Most people call me Jellybean because my mummy's name is Connie and it gets confusing with two people the same name."

"My name is Marcella, and most people call me Marcie. I prefer my full name, though. What would you like me to call you?" Marcella asked.

"I guess Jellybean is okay, but when I meet new people like the ones who are coming, I don't want to be Jellybean. That's just for friends, you know? I don't want to meet the new people coming, and I don't want to wear this dress, and I don't want the Nanny to do my hair, she gets angry and says I wiggle too much and it hurts when she does it. I want Mama to do it."

"I see," Marcella nodded in agreement. "Well, all of that is perfectly reasonable. Now, as your lawyer, you do want me to represent you when you present your grievances to your parents, don't you?" Marcella asked and found the girl looking at her with a wide-eyed stare. "A lawyer is someone who acts as a go-between. So as your lawyer, I would tell your parents what you are upset about and offer them a deal. Something like, if you wear the dress they pick out without complaint, your Mama will do your hair instead of the Nanny. We may have to throw in the shoes as well to sweeten the deal," Marcella giggled.

"No sandals just normal shoes I can run and climb in," Concetta demanded, as she folded her arms across her chest.

"A fair compromise," Marcella nodded as if treating the whole conversation with the seriousness it deserved. "Okay, first the shoes to show you are serious and then we will find your Mama and Papa and air your grievances. Lead the way to your room, don't worry as your lawyer, I will protect you until both your parents are present."

"I have two Papa's but one has gone to pick up his friend X-man from the Airport," Concetta reported.

"Well then we will just have to deal with the one that is here and your Mama," Marcella said, holding the little girl's hand as they exited her room. They headed up another flight of stairs towards what Marcella realised were the children's rooms in this house given the noise of several high-pitched voices.

"My brothers," Concetta rolled her eyes and tiptoed down to her room with Marcella following her and mimicking her movements.

"Okay, show me the shoe collection we have to work with," Marcella said once the door was closed.

"Well," Concetta opened a vast wardrobe and squatted down in front of a shoe rack. "These are the ones they want me to wear, but I think these are better," she said, pointing at two pairs of shoes.

"Okay, you like these because you can run, jump and climb in them, do I have that right?" she waited for the girl to nod and tapped her chin gravely. "What about those?" she pointed to a pair of flat-soled Mary-Janes and raised an eyebrow.

"They aren't as good," she said, considering the option.

"But they are shiny and will look as nice if not better than the sandals, and you will still be able to run, jump and climb in them," Marcella countered. "That might be all the compromise your Mama needs to come to do your hair for you when you have guests, trying to sell the major sticking point."

"I guess, but not the long socks," Concetta eyed Marcella as if this was a deal-breaker.

"No long socks," Marcella agreed and pulled a face to show she disliked long socks too. Having found some ankle socks in the drawers and solved the problem of shoes, she tackled the next issue with the same serious negotiating skills she had when she met this stubborn little powerhouse.

"Now," she said, getting to her feet with her hands on her hips. "Do you want to know a secret?" Concetta nodded avidly and held out her pinkie as if promising not to tell it. Marcella wrapped hers around the little digit and shook with a smile. "I want to hide from the guests too, so if you let me stay here with you a little longer, I will use all the tricks I learned having to do my sister's hair when we were little and didn't have a nanny."

"Why didn't your Mama do it for you?" she asked.

"My Mama was always very busy looking after my Papa, like the story about the three princesses and the ogre king. I can tell you that story if you let me do your hair. I can even make it look like a princess's hair if you like," Marcella wheedled.

"I'm not a princess," Concetta folded her arms across her chest, stubbornly.

"Gosh, you could have fooled me. You look like the princess in my story who was always getting into trouble. She was a princess though because all little girls are princesses to their Papas. All Papas except the ogre king, because he was mean and rotten all the time. He kept her Mama too busy to do their hair," Marcella could see she was reeling in her little friend just as she always had with her sisters. "Come sit up here, and if I hurt you at all we will go get your mother, and you can hide and protect me from the frog prince who is coming to visit."

"The frog prince?" Concetta asked.

"Oh yes, but don't worry he is a nice one, he's not like the ogre king and his brother. He's the type of frog that if the right princess kissed him, he would turn into a real prince," Marcella explained. Then she began to untangle her new friend's soft brown hair before continuing the story by starting at the beginning. "Once upon a time..."

*****

Noah fidgeted nervously as the car raced from the airport to Massimo's home. He knew that to rush to Marcella and hold her close like he wanted to do when they got there was probably not the best idea, but he wasn't sure he could hold himself back once she was in arms reach. He drew a deep breath. If he had ever doubted the curse was real, the physical and mental torment this woman had given him was enough to convince him. Even the most ardent nay-sayers, including his mother, had to admit his pain was real.