The Unlikely Quarterback Ch. 07

Story Info
Recovery.
7.9k words
4.75
20.2k
29

Part 7 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 08/13/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*Thanks to Alwaysready64 for editing and contributing some snippets of this story, and PASTMASTER for his beta reading.

*All sex described in this story will be between adults, 18 or over.

*There is no sex in this Chapter.

******

Chapter 7 - Recovery.

I woke up to an incessant beep, beep, beep. My vision blurry and my head throbbing. I went to grab my head and massage my temple, but my hand was held down to the side. There was something metallic holding my wrist. I looked around as my vision cleared and groaned hoarsely. I wanted water but my throat seemed to be too constricted to get out a proper sound.

"Mikey?"

I looked over to see Stephanie sitting beside me. She put the book down that she'd been reading.

"You're awake, finally."

I looked her over and saw that she still had some light discoloration around her eyes and her nose was a little red. I gestured and used hand signals, indicating I needed something to drink.

"OK, just a sec."

She got up and went over to a tray with a few Dixie cups and a pitcher of water. She poured me a cup and brought it up to my lips pouring it into my mouth carefully. I looked down to see that I was handcuffed to the bed.

After my parched throat was wet, I was able to hum and cough and clear my throat. I still couldn't talk loudly but I was able to whisper.

"How are you doing?" I asked.

She smiled saying, "Typical Mikey, always thinking of others first."

She started petting me on my hand and brushed lightly up my arm.

"I'm getting better, most of the damage was superficial. They slapped me around a lot. I fought Johnny as long as I could and he got mad and started punching me in the face," she said, introspectively. "I, I just knew you'd come for me..." she said, guiltily.

"And, Candy?"

"She's doing better, but... they hurt her. They were about to rape her, but she offered to suck them off... One of them stuck a broom handle in her and hurt her really bad. Doctors said she almost died of internal bleeding."

"Why?" I asked, trying to hold up my hands and shaking them.

"The police don't know everything that happened. But you hurt those guys - bad."

I gave her a questioning look.

"You broke Candy's 'boyfriend's' neck, he's paralyzed from the waist down. That guy that you slammed into the locker broke his collarbone. He had one concussion too many and is now in a coma. And Johnny is in traction."

"Good!" I tried to yell but only got out a hoarse gasp.

"Biff, is out on bail. Johnny is in a hospital chained to his bed like you, after his doctors release him, he will be going to jail. The judge set bail at half a million dollars and his dad didn't have enough money to post his bond. I don't know what's happened with the others."

Just then a doctor walked in, "Good, you're awake."

I bent my hands and pointed toward my throat and tried to say that my throat was sore. He just waved at me knowingly and said he'd get me some ice to suck on; it would help with the swelling, he said. He went over my various injuries. Apparently, I was stabbed in my ass (butt cheeks), and worse still I was stabbed in an artery on my leg. I lost a lot of blood but the paramedics got me to the emergency room in record time, probably saving my life, the doctor said. The biggest issue was that when my artery was stabbed, it almost caused me to lose my leg. They had to put me under to operate and then I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia which put me into a coma.

"There are some police outside waiting to question you. I'm sorry son, I tried to stop them from putting the cuffs on but there seems to be some politics going on that I'm not privy to," the doctor went on.

The doctor left after checking the chart and I heard him talking to someone outside the room. Soon after a gruff looking guy in a cheap tan suit came walking in.

He flashed a badge and said, "I'm detective Dalton."

I tried to whisper a "hi" but my throat once again wouldn't cooperate.

A nurse came in just then and felt my forehead and put an ice cube in my mouth. She looked annoyed at the police officer and asked, "Can you take these ridiculous things off? He's on so many meds right now, he couldn't run away if he tried."

The detective begrudgingly came over unlocking my restraints.

"I've got some questions for you. Off the record. Since you don't have your lawyer present, we will have a formal interview with you later. Are you willing to talk or should I come back later? I have an investigation to carry out and it would help if you told me the truth."

The nurse left me a cup of ice for me to suck on and slowly my throat started to clear.

"Off the record, yeah right," I croaked.

"Let me fill you in on a few details that I ascertained. I have been told a lot of conflicting stories about what happened. All of the kids except Candy and surprisingly her boyfriend has lawyered up. I believe your sister's story; I've been a detective now for close to 30 years and I've gotten good at spotting a liar. The thing is that she didn't see everything that happened," he said.

He started leafing through a notepad he pulled out of his coat pocket and started reading off some notes.

"Let's see, here. Ah yes. Your sister explained that she and her friend Candice AKA Candy double dated and shared a limo to the winter formal dance. They were both heading inside when your sister's date took off to talk to some friends. She was left with Candy and her date. Candy's date seemed to have left his tickets in the boy's locker room and asked Candy if she wouldn't mind coming with her to get them. Candy didn't want to go alone with him so Stephanie offered to go with them.

"I asked Candy later about why she didn't want to be left alone with her date and she said that she wanted to wait until the right time to have sex and they were constantly fighting about it. She was going to break up with him but she wanted to wait until after the dance to do it since they already rented tuxedos and a limo.

"Candy was surprised that the locker room wasn't locked up, but they got in without any problems," he said, then he looked up at me and said, "We found out later that Johnny Baxter was given a spare key the weekend before, to clean toilets in lieu of a punishment that would go on his record. The assistant coach was trying to give him a break. Johnny doesn't dispute that he made a spare key and let himself in."

"It's why he was there that's in dispute... He claims that Candy is an ex-girlfriend of his and that she wanted to hook up with him and his 'boys' and that she brought her friend with her. Anyways, he's full of shit, that kid."

I had all kinds of questions but I could barely talk so I just listened and waited for him to ask me something.

"Anyway, here is where some of the stories diverge. According to both Candy, Stephanie and Candy's date, after they went to his locker, they all stepped out into the hallway and were met by Johnny and his crew. He started making all kinds of lewd comments and when they went to get past him, he wouldn't let them by. They got scared and ran further down the hallway and were trapped inside the girl's locker room.

He started flipping through his notes again, "Sorry, I'm just trying to keep this timeline straight. I took another statement from another girl who was with Johnny's gang, by the name of Delilah. She apparently knows you and your sister, is that right?" he asked, looking up at me, and I nodded.

"In her statement, she had no idea what was going on before they got there. Apparently, Johnny is a serial rapist... you may not want to hear this son but according to Delilah, Johnny raped her too," he said, matter-of-factly.

He saw the anger and guilt in my eyes and went on to explain.

"Listen, son, she was date-raped... a lot of girls blame themselves when they get date raped. They put up walls to protect themselves from the reality and often live in denial. A master manipulator like Johnny can often convince his victim that they actually wanted it to happen to them. So, don't beat yourself up about it..." he said, but I didn't feel any better.

"Can I got on, or do you want me to come back later?" he asked, I gestured for him to go on.

"So, Delilah had overheard Johnny numerous times bragging about his 'conquests' that sounded much like rape. But no one ever reported him so she thought he was just full of it. Johnny must have gotten arrogant and thought he had Delilah under his control. He told her to stay out in the hallway with one of his lackeys, one..."

"Abe," I croaked angrily.

"Err, yes, well apparently she heard Candy scream and she says she kind of woke up and 'remembered' everything that happened to her and she ran out of there. Abe didn't pursue her..." he said, and I had a questioning look to which he replied, "Criminals do stupid things like that, believe me it's not unusual, especially when they are used to getting away with it."

"Delilah went to get help and the first person that she saw was you... err... so she says she doesn't remember what happened once she saw you, she had an emotional breakdown after that... If you can fill in a few of the gaps from there."

It took me 15 minutes to tell him what happened, up to the hallway since I had to talk soft and slow. I told him about Delilah going hysterical and telling me that Johnny was doing something in the locker room. I got the impression I would need to defend myself so I 'borrowed' some poles the color guard were practicing with. The poles were in two halves and normally screwed into each other and were similar to escrima sticks that I trained with in Taekwondo. So, I ran off with them and heard screaming on my way to the locker room.

"Yeah, that jives with the evidence. Well I think you should get the story about what happened to Candy and your sister from them if they want to talk about it. At this point, I should wait for you to have your lawyer present. You have a public defender assigned you but I would recommend you get a real lawyer. Now that you are awake the DA will try to get your case seen by a judge," he said, giving me a card. "That's my info, have your lawyer call me if you have anything to say. Your mom should have your public defender's number."

"What are they charging me with?"

"I wouldn't worry about it, but they are charging you with assault and attempted murder," he said. Seeing my worried look he added, "They have no evidence and the police reports dispute the claim. But the DA has the discretion to charge you with whatever they want. It feels like there is something else in play here..some outside influence tipping the scales. Anyway, your lawyer should be able to get the charges dismissed easily enough. But you'll need someone GOOD to counter why they would charge you in the first place, a public defender's not going to do it for you."

After Det. Dalton was satisfied, I looked over at the cuffs and he reached over and unlocked the other end taking them with him.

"I don't think these are warranted," was his only comment.

After he left, Stephanie gave me a hug and kissed my cheek.

"Hey, Steph? What happened to Isabella?"

"I'm not sure. She hasn't been around, she left when the police came. I think her father came to pick her up. I haven't seen her at school for weeks."

"Weeks? How long have I been out?"

"Let's just put it this way, Easter was last weekend... you just missed spring break!"

I did some calculations in my head, "Wow, almost a month... no wonder my throat's so sore."

"What are we going to do Mikey? Johnny has a team of powerful lawyers that are accusing us of things that are out and out Lies... I don't want to live here; my friends are treating me like a pariah. Without Simone and Amanda's support I wouldn't have any friends."

"Listen Steph, you don't need to worry about them. I'm going to hire some lawyers to take care of it."

"Yeah right! What are you going to pay them with - Monopoly money?"

"Well, truth be told..." I began, hesitating and Steph looked concerned. "Don't get mad at me," I prefaced.

"How can I promise that? What did you do?"

"I feel bad for not telling you this before and I was planning to tell you right after the dance..."

"OK, OK, just tell me already!" she said annoyed.

"I'm rich!" I said.

"Whatchutalkinbout Willis?" she said, not believing me.

"I need to tell mom too, and my voice won't survive two explanations, so how about I give you the details later, but for now, know that you don't need to worry about money... OK?"

"OK..." she said, and put on one of her fake angry faces. "I'm mad at you for not telling me, we've never kept secrets."

"I know, but it was for a semi-good reason though. I thought I was protecting you... but you're right, I want to always be honest with you. I'm not perfect and I am going to come clean ... forgive me?" I said, giving her my best puppy-dog face.

"Arrgh, you know I can't ever stay mad at you!" she gasped.

"I know, but it's a two-way street you know."

"Why'd you have to be my brother?" she whispered,

*

"What's this I hear that you're rich?" Mom blurted waking me from my drug addled sleep.

Mom was standing next to Stephanie and Stephanie was looking kind of embarrassed.

"No, 'Hello son. How are you feeling?' Just straight to the inquisition?" I asked, sarcastically.

"Hello son. How are you feeling? AND, what's this all this nonsense about you being rich?" she retorted.

The sympathy card wasn't going to work, my mom was on the offense. When she gets like that you have to be dying to get any sympathy from her.

My mother was not only full of pride but her manic-depressive state made it hard to do rational things like bragging about how successful I became. She would always bemoan the fact that she couldn't do anything right and her only saving grace was that she was able to raise three kids on her own. She worked hard for her money and I wanted nothing more than to be useful. I suspected that one of the reasons she did not let me go to college early was she wouldn't know what to do with herself if we moved out.

I decided to tell her half the truth and ease her into it.

"I found a job last summer, and I've been helping out with the bills..." I said with some shame.

"Well, there's nothing wrong with that," she said. "How does this make you rich?"

"I'm not a millionaire (lie), but I sold a program I wrote to a company a few months back and made fifty thousand dollars. I have enough money to pay a lawyer to stick up for us. I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier," I said.

I felt bad about lying, but I'm glad I did because she did react badly.

"What? I'm not good enough?" she cried.

"Mom, you're the best Mom I could ever have hoped for and you've done us proud. But I'm an adult now. I've grown up, and you've got to let me act like a grown-up."

Mom went on to spout some utter nonsense and I did my best to reassure her that we still needed her and that she wasn't worthless. Mom finally said she was proud of me and insisted that she pay for half of me and Stephanie's lawyers' fees.

"Mom, my lawyers are expecting to win a lot of money in lawsuits, all they wanted was a retainer. I should get all that money back once we win our suits. So, I don't need you taking out a second mortgage on the house or anything. Let's just see how things work out and if we don't win, then you can mortgage or even sell the house for us if it makes you feel better. OK?"

"Fine, Mike. But I don't like it."

"I know, and that's why I didn't tell you in the first place," I said.

She looked a little hurt but then just nodded her head and said, "I'm sorry, I'm this way..."

"Nope, you don't get to make us feel bad for you. We love you and wouldn't change you. You made us who we are today. So, stop it and just love us, like we love you."

We hugged it out and Mom left smiling.

"I'm sorry," Stephanie blurted once Mom had left.

"That's OK. It went over about as well as I thought."

"Why'd you say you were rich? Fifty thousand dollars and a part time job doesn't make you rich."

"Well, I lied," I said and she looked shocked and hurt. "Not to you," I reassured. "I'm now projected to be making about 75 thousand in earnings from my 'part time' job that Mom didn't even bother asking me about."

"WOW!" she said.

"I've been paying the mortgage and all of the bills for years. All of mom's money goes into an investment account and hopefully when we leave the house, she'll have enough money to live off. She is too proud to take any money from me knowingly."

"I know. I remember when you bought her that Civic, you had to pull out all the stops to convince her to take it. You practically had to beg her to take it," she said, smiling and a little sad at the same time.

"She won't take my money, but she can't stop me from secretly paying all the bills and stockpiling her money."

"OK so how much DID you make... selling your program."

"Close to two million, after taxes."

Stephanie started choking and after she recovered said, "WOW!"

"Yeah, but this is just between the two of us, OK?" I asked, and she nodded. "You aren't going to give me a hard time if I want to spend a little money on you, are you?"

"Hell no!" she beamed.

"Good, because I've already set up a college savings account for you. Get good grades and I'll make sure you go to whatever college you want."

Stephanie leaned over the hospitable bed and kissed my cheek. "I sometimes wish you weren't my brother."

"Why do you say that?"

"I've had a crush on you for years, as if you hadn't noticed... Don't worry, you're my BROTHER. But I DO love you and it makes it hard to find a good boyfriend because you set the bar so high. You're the only man in my life; to me, you took over our father's job of being an example of how a man should be."

"Stephanie, I can be a jerk at times. I think you are looking at me through rose colored glasses," I said and she looked doubtful. "Even so, if I were this 'perfect' guy that you see me as, YOU not only deserve a guy like that but I have no doubt you'll find one. Don't ever settle for anyone that doesn't meet muster."

For some reason she had tears in her eyes but she was smiling when she said, "I won't. I promise."

*

I was told that most of the cheerleading squad came to see me at one point or another. Most of the girls were hard pressed to come visit me once I was out of a coma, mainly due to timing. It was close to finals and everyone was busy getting a major assignment done or cramming for finals. Simone and Amanda came to see me a couple of times, and they always brightened my mood. I really missed volunteering with Simone every week, since it seemed to be the only time I got to really spend with her lately.

Stephanie had been staying with me every day after school. Lorraine even came down during spring break and kept vigil with Stephanie while I was still in a coma until she had to go back. Candy got out of the hospital the week before I woke up and no one had seen or heard from her since she left. Simone and Amanda went to check up on her but her mother told them that she didn't want to see anyone.

*

I called Candy's house to check on her and spoke with her mother. I asked if I could speak with Candy and she told me to hold on and she'd check.

Candy took my call and even before I could ask her how she was doing.

"Mikey? Oh my god, Baby. How are you doing? Is your leg ok? I'm so, so, sorry..." she sobbed.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down. First of all, none of THIS is YOUR fault. You hear me?"

"Yes..." she choked.

"I'm going to be fine. My leg is on the mend the doctors said I should make a full recovery."

"That's ... good," she got out through staggered breaths.

"I want you to know this and get this through your head, so listen carefully OK?" I said sternly.