The Visitor

Story Info
Does a surprise visitor ruin a marriage?
7k words
4.15
94.9k
106
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Hooked1957
Hooked1957
3,471 Followers

"Mr. Norris, you have two visitors out here who say they need to talk to you," said Layla at the front desk to one of the assistant vice presidents at Commercial Credit Union in Houston, TX.

Andrew Norris glanced from the computer screen he was reading to his appointment book. He was pretty sure he didn't have an appointment for Monday at 9:30 a.m. but figured he should double-check. He hadn't looked at the book since just before he left for the weekend last Friday afternoon at five.

Feeling better that he hadn't forgotten an appointment, the 36-year-old Norris told the office receptionist to send in the visitors. As they got to his doorway, the blond blue-eyed AVP rose from his desk to his full six-foot height and came around his desk with his hand extended.

Entering his office were a pair he had never seen before: a tall handsome older man with a combination of blond and gray hair and a young blond woman who looked to be in her early 20s. They looked to be grandfather and granddaughter, Norris noted, and he wondered why exactly they had specifically asked for him.

After shaking hands with both and introducing himself officially, Norris asked the pair to sit in the chairs across the desk from his chair before the older man spoke.

"You might want to close the door. What we have to discuss is personal, not business," the older man said.

Norris raised both eyebrows at that announcement, but did as suggested and then returned to his seat. He looked attentively into the light blue eyes of the older man.

"We're sorry for taking time away from your job, but this seemed to be the best time to do this," the older man said. "I don't know how much you know about me, or us. My name is Magnus Andersen, and this is my daughter, Genevieve. I'm your biological father, and Gen is your sister, or, at least, your half-sister."

Norris froze in his seat, with his jaws open but no sound coming forth.

"I'm guessing then that your parents, or maybe just your mother, never told you about me," the older man said.

Norris did his best fish out of water routine, sucking air voraciously, but not being able to manufacture words.

"I can assure you, Son, that what I'm telling you is the absolute truth. Your mother and I had a nearly year-long affair 37 years ago, and you are the end product. The man you think of as your father didn't know anything at the time, and either he still doesn't know shit or agreed to raise you as his own.

"If you want to verify what I'm saying, it might be easiest to do an Ancestry.com DNA test. I have taken an Ancestry test, and my results are in the system, along with my tree. I'm thinking at this point that your mother wouldn't tell you the truth. As for the man you think of as your father..."

"Don't you dare disrespect my father, you old fucker!" Norris yelled at the other man, causing both him and the young woman to flinch back in their chairs.

"I know this must be hard: some stranger walking into your office and claiming to be your real father, but it's the truth," the older man said quietly. "I'm sorry to lay this on you after all this time."

"If you're so sorry, then why are you doing it?" Norris asked harshly.

"I had hoped your parents, or at least your mother, would have told you earlier, and you would have tried to find me earlier. But I gave up that hope after 20 years.

"But now my time is limited, and I could no longer wait for you to come to me. I have the beginnings of dementia, and I am trying to put my house in order before my life as I know it goes away."

Drew Norris looked at the pair as if he were seeing ghosts. He noticed that both visitors had the same coloring as he did.

Growing up, Drew always assumed he just had more of his Nordic mother than his southern European father. He had the same coloring as his mother and his mother's basic look, but with both people sitting across the desk from him, he could see himself in both of them, as well.

"I am Norwegian on one side, and Finnish on the other. My roots go back to the Vikings," Andersen said with more than a little pride.

"I have four children: three with Gen's mother, and you. You are the oldest and Gen is the youngest."

"Do you mind if I ask how old you are? You look almost too old for my mother," Norris said tentatively.

"I'm 74, about 10 years older than your mother if I remember correctly. She was a young secretary in the history department at Harvard. I was a tenured professor."

So far, everything the older man had said was in line with what Norris knew about his family, except for the father part. His parents had lived in Cambridge, MA, for several years in the early part of their marriage, and in fact, both he and his older sister, Lucy, had been born in the city. His mother did work for the university, and his father was a mechanical engineer, working in the city.

"After your older sister was born, I remember your mother being self-conscious about the weight she had gained while carrying the baby. It was only about 20 pounds, but she was always worried that your father would be unhappy with her because of that. She was talking about that at lunch one day in the cafeteria at a table right next to where I was sitting, and I remember thinking that your father was a putz if he couldn't see that your mother was a beautiful woman.

"I started making it a point to stop by the history department office and compliment her. I knew what my end game was. I was always a ladies' man. I knew what to say to eventually get them into bed, and what to do once I got them there. Yes, I was already married, but for me this was only a little more than just sex. I knew, though, that your mother kind of felt it was more than that. We had even discussed her leaving your father for me, but then my wife got pregnant with our first, and I just couldn't leave her. Fortunately, your mother hadn't said anything to your father, so she could just continue on with him like nothing had happened.

"She never told me if she was going to tell your father. I didn't ask because I didn't want to intrude. That was between them. It was their marriage."

"That was nice of you, not wanting to intrude," Norris said more than a little sarcastically.

"From what Traci said, she truly loved your father. It was just that she was feeling a little dumpy, and I was there to bolster her confidence when she was feeling low. We started our affair about a year after your sister was born, and two months later she was pregnant."

Norris exhaled after the older man finished his story, not realizing he was holding his breath.

Norris' parents moved to Indiana about a year after he was born. Two years after that his younger sister, Janet, was born.

"Even though I wasn't invited to be a part of your life, I kept track of where you were all these years," the older man said.

Both Norris and his younger sister favored their mother and had their mother's pale coloring. It wasn't out of the realm of possibility that both children could take after their mother's side of the family, Norris thought to himself.

Norris sat quietly for 10 seconds, 20 seconds, a half-minute.

"Bottom line--what do you want from me, Mr. Andersen?" Norris finally asked.

"Just your acknowledgement that I actually exist--as your father, at least biologically. Apparently, your parents or your mother never wanted you to know about me, and that was their choice, but I've always known you existed, and that you are a part of me."

The older man had tears in his eyes as he stood up, with Genevieve following. Norris stood up as well, not exactly sure what was happening. He assumed the meeting was over and stuck his hand out for a handshake, but Andersen grabbed the hand and pulled the younger man into a hug that lasted about 10 seconds.

"That's all I wanted, Son. Thank you for your time," Andersen said.

With that, he and Genevieve left the office.

Drew sat alone in his office for several long minutes, his mind whirring like a blender at high speed. He would definitely have to do an Ancestry DNA test to verify what Andersen had said. Assuming, however, that what Andersen had told him was accurate, he definitely had a dilemma of epic proportions.

Up until a few minutes ago, Alex Norris was the only father Drew had known. He idolized his father, and as Drew grew into manhood, Alex went from just being a great dad to a great dad as well as a great friend.

"Fuck! Now what do I do?" he thought to himself.

Drew knew the questions. He just didn't know the answers, starting with the big one: did his father know that Drew was the biological son of another man? If Alex didn't know, than Drew telling him would tear his heart out, and that was something he wanted to avoid at all costs. But if Alex didn't know and later found out Drew knew and didn't tell him, wouldn't that be the betrayal of all betrayals?

He considered going to his mother first with news of meeting Andersen, but then he realized that if his father didn't know, his mother had been deceiving him all these years, and would probably continue to do so.

Probably the only way this would work out well for Drew was if both parents knew and decided not to tell him. That would result in some hurt feelings, but not be the epic confrontation.

Drew's head dropped to his desk with a noticeable thud.

"I hate Mondays," he said out loud to no one.

Drew went to the Ancestry.com site and ordered a DNA test. He knew that he had several weeks before he would get the results back. Maybe by then he could figure out some way to transport himself to another universe.

Magnus Andersen was completely truthful to Drew, the results of the Ancestry DNA tests proved when Norris got them back several weeks later. By this point, Drew had decided not to approach his parents with what he had found out. He knew it was taking the coward's way out, but he loved Alex with all his heart and would do anything not to hurt the man he still considered his father.

******

Alex Norris was absolutely thrilled when his Ancestry.com DNA kit showed up in the mail. He had a lot of questions about his family history, and there were no older relatives alive to ask. He had joined the genealogical website about a year ago, and was slowly putting together his family tree.

Alex's wife of 41 years, Traci, looked at her husband like he was a child with a brand new toy. She had listened to her husband ramble on about finding various family members for a year, only peripherally paying attention. She knew he was looking at past family members, a chore that would take him years.

Alex saw the bemused look on Traci's face and smiled back at his wife. She wouldn't understand, Alex thought, because she has family bibles on both sides of her family reaching back almost 300 years.

It only took five minutes for Alex to get his swab and get it ready to send. He grabbed his car keys and called out to his wife that he was going to the post office.

"All right. Drive carefully, Alex," she called back.

Alex found several more relatives through the DNA matches when they came back and started corresponding with new family members he had found. He was spending at least an hour a day on the Ancestry site.

"I've paid for your membership for the next year, and I've got a DNA tests coming down for you, Lucy and Janet," Alex gushed to his son over the phone. "This stuff is great. The info is tremendous. You three have to try this."

"Wow, Dad. That's great," Drew responded as his mind started working overtime.

Alex was especially close to his son. The two talked at least once a week. They agreed on practically everything, from politics to sports. Like Alex, Drew was quiet, yet intense on certain things, and had a wry sense of humor. Everyone in the family could see that he treated his wife of five years with the same reverence with which Alex treated Traci.

Two months later, Drew still hadn't turned in his DNA test, and Alex in his enthusiasm couldn't understand why.

"You'll love this, Bud," he said, calling Drew by his familiar nickname. "You'll get to e-mail with family we didn't know we had until recently and..."

"Dad... Dad. I don't need to do my DNA. I already did and you won't find me. I'm not your son... at least not biologically," Drew said in little more than a whisper.

"Wait. What?" Alex said. "What do you mean you're not my son? Of course you're my son."

"No, Dad, I'm not. I had a visitor last year. Does the name Magnus Andersen mean anything to you?"

Alex was puzzled, to say the least. Drew picked up on the hesitation in answering.

"Dad, are you someplace where you can talk? I mean you need to be in a room by yourself."

Alex was talking in the kitchen and Traci was in the family room. Alex moseyed his way outside to the porch swing on the front porch.

"Okay. We can talk now," he said to his son with the most serious tone Drew had heard since Alex gave him the talk about sex when he was 12 years old.

Drew spelled out for Alex in detail his meeting with Magnus and Genevieve Andersen the previous year.

"I'm sorry, Dad. I was hoping to never have to tell you. I wasn't sure if you knew already and just decided to raise me as yours, or what the story was."

"Raise you as mine‽" Alex practically yelled. "You are mine, Bud! I don't care what any DNA test says. Now as for whatever your mother has told you..."

"She hasn't told me anything, and I haven't told her a thing. Dad, I'm sorry for not telling you. You know I would never do anything to hurt you."

"I know, Drew. I know. Not your fault, Sonny-Boy, and it shouldn't have been your problem," Alex said.

"So now what are you going to do?" Drew asked.

"After drinking a bottle of Jack? I have no idea," Alex said. "I always thought your mom and I were in it for the long haul; that we'd grow old together. Maybe we still can, but right now my heart is breaking. Right now we might not have another 10 minutes. I'll call you in a few days, Drew."

"I love you, Dad. Bye."

Alex walked back into the house, went straight into the bathroom and promptly threw up. After cleaning up, he headed for his liquor cabinet and grabbed a three-quarter full bottle of Jack Daniels and a glass. He staggered over to the kitchen table and plopped down in a chair.

"Are any of them really mine?" Alex thought as he downed his third drink.

"Babe, you okay? What are you doing in there?" Traci called into the kitchen.

"Am I okay? Good question," Alex thought. "No, I'm not okay. What the fuck do you think? Much of what I thought I knew was wrong."

Alex seriously considered going into the family room and choking Traci to death as he downed his sixth shot. Everyone who knew Alex knew he was a reflective, slow-to-anger person. He proved their assessment was correct by pouring a seventh shot and remaining at the kitchen table.

Alex thumped his chest with his left hand. He was still feeling sick to his stomach, or was he having a heart attack, he wondered. Was it possible that Traci, his Traci, had cheated on him all those years ago? Several hours ago, it didn't seem possible. Now, after what his son had said, not only was it possible, it was a stone-cold fact.

Forty-three years ago, Traci was a 20-year-old junior at a large Midwestern university waiting in line by herself at a McDonald's for her Sunday night dinner. Alex was waiting right behind her, noticing how well the young lady in front of him filled out her tight jeans. Her pink sweater was enticing him from the back, with her blonde hair hanging down over her shoulders, making him wonder what it looked like from the front. He got his answer when she took her small bag of food from the McDonald's employee and turned to walk past him. She had a pretty face and filled out her sweater nicely. She caught him looking, and gave him a shy smile. Realizing he was caught, he smiled back.

Traci took her time heading back to her dormitory, knowing that the young man would have to wait a bit for his food. She gave him a few minutes, and then leisurely started walking back. When Alex spotted Traci just a few hundred yards down the road, he immediately knew she had waited on him. He hustled over and caught up to her soon after, asking if she wouldn't mind having some company on the walk to the dorm. She agreed, and about two months later, Traci and Alex were a couple. A year after they graduated, she with a teaching degree and he in engineering, they were married.

Alex got a job with an engineering firm in Cambridge, and Traci went to work in the history department at Harvard. They did well for a young couple, and two years later their first child, Lucy, was born. A month after their second child, Andrew, was born, they moved to Indianapolis, IN, where Alex took a job in middle management at another engineering firm.

Alex had remembered those early years fondly, but now that he had cause to reflect back, things apparently weren't as good as they seemed. Alex put in a lot of hours back in those days, but Traci didn't seem to mind, and in fact, she had a few long days herself.

"Shit!" he thought. "Why the fuck would a history department admin ever have to work late? I am a fucking dumbass!"

Traci was surprised the next afternoon when Alex's car was already in the garage when she got home from work. He had seemed a little off the night before, she noted, so maybe he left work early due to illness.

"Hon, are you okay?" she called out as she went from the garage into the home's kitchen.

"No, I'm not," he said quietly from his perch at the table, which startled her.

Traci took a step back, then saw Alex and two cups of coffee already poured. She sat down at her usual spot at the table, where Alex had placed her cup. Alex sat impassively, starting straight ahead, while Traci tried to figure out what was wrong.

"Are any of the children mine, Traci?" Alex hissed.

Traci blushed crimson and her eyes got wide. After all these years, this was the last thing she expected to be talking about today.

"Shit," she whispered half under her breath.

She peered over to her left, expecting her husband to still be staring straight ahead. Instead he was directly facing her, glaring through her, to be exact. Traci immediately dropped her eyes to the table.

"Any? None?" he asked stridently.

"Two. The girls are yours," Traci croaked out.

"So says my cheating slut of a wife!" Alex cried. "Well, I guess that's why they invented DNA testing!"

"There's no reason for name-calling, Alex," Traci said harshly.

"It's like libel, Traci. It's not name-calling if it's the truth, which it is!"

"How... why... after all these years, how did you find out, Al?"

"Our son... and yes, he's still my son... got a visit last year from your lover, who wanted to get a look at the son he had never seen, before he completely succumbs to dementia."

Traci gasped and put her hand to her mouth.

"You mean you've known for a year‽" she asked incredulously.

"No, Drew has known for a year. He kept your lousy-ass secret for a year! He only told me because I kept pushing for that damned DNA test. If I hadn't pushed, I never would have known, and you could have pretended for the rest of our lives that you loved me."

"I do love you, Alex. I do. I made a mistake. I had a lapse of judgment," Traci sobbed. "Let's talk about this. PLEASE!"

"A lapse of judgment! Is that what you call an affair that went on for almost a year! A lapse of fucking judgment!"

Traci broke down sobbing at that point. Alex looked disgusted, got up and walked into the family room. Later that night, Alex went to sleep in the guest room for the second straight night.

Over his lunch hour the next day, Alex called an attorney recommended to him by a co-worker who was divorced several years ago. Since Indiana was a no-fault state, Alex knew the split would be 50-50, although he'd probably have to pay some alimony for a few years due to the disparity in salaries.

Hooked1957
Hooked1957
3,471 Followers
12