The Ward Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"My love," he murmured, staring into deep blue eyes that sparkled with mischief. Then he looked at Nicholas. "I see you have made my fiancé's acquaintance."

"Oh yes, Eddy. I marvel you finally made a decision," Nicholas lazily inclined his head, his burning eyes still on Sage.

Edmund's gaze sharpened, feeling he had a score to settle for Lucille. Words were not his play, and he merely lowered his head to breathe the floral scent powdered through Sage's shining curls. "My love," he suavely murmured. "You are delectable beyond words."

Sage made a show of laying her hand against Edmund's wide chest. "Oh, Edmund, do not woo me in company! I cannot resist you," she teased, looping her arm through his and beaming at Nicholas. "We were just discussing why poor Lord Stiles cannot find a wife."

Edmund's lips quivered at Nicholas' expression, but he suppressed the laugh. "One of life's mysteries."

"When I find her, she will know it." Nicholas finally found his voice, staring challengingly at Sage, though quite taken aback by her audacity. "There will be no mistake that she will belong to me."

"You do sound impatient for her, Nicholas. Perhaps we should enlist Joel's help to find a suitable lady?" Sage pondered, and even Edmund gave her a look to warn she approached dangerous ground.

At the suggestion that a servant might supply him a wife, the wine glass almost snapped in Nicholas' hand. "I already have a lady in mind, and she will know the force of my feelings."

Edmund raised a warning eyebrow, but Sage laughed gaily. "Oh, is he not passionate?" she tittered, unbothered by Edmund's ominous frown or the fact Nicholas teetered on some kind of frenzy.

"Would it not be incredible if Nicholas found a woman to love him, as I love you?" she said coyly, her hand smoothed up Edmund's chest to affectionately trace his strong jaw.

"I would not credit it," Edmund said darkly, disliking the predatory way Nicholas continued to eye Sage.

"So exceptional for a girl to progress from 'slave' to 'lady' in such a short time," Nicholas said cuttingly. "I wonder how many tonight would take interest in your love story."

The barb missed entirely, as Sage cared little for reputation, status or even dignity when her freedom was at stake. In response to his words, she shrugged with genuine nonchalance.

Edmund smiled at Nicholas, his hazel eyes still glittering hatred. "Ah, yes. The slavery I must confess was a romantic farce. My ardent desire not to let her slip through my fingers." Though mocking, his words rang quite true.

"And I was enslaved by your charms so quickly, Edmund," Sage sighed, batting her lashes at him.

The severity left Edmund's eyes and he quickly kissed her. When they turned back to Nicholas, he was gone.

"I believe that was too much for his pride to withstand," Edmund murmured. He glanced down with surprise to see Sage almost doubled over with hysterical laugher.

"Oh, Edmund!" she said faintly, clutching the shoulder of his coat for support. "The things we said...the look on his face!"

Most of the room's occupants noticed the newly engaged couple genuinely laughing together, and remarked the recent match appeared perfect beyond the norm.

******

An hour later, Joel was arranging empty champagne flutes, when he heard a sharp gasp from behind him.

Lord Habern swore long and softly, his eyes on Sage, who was currently laughing with Celia.

"May I be of service, my Lord?" Joel asked, and Lord Habern seized his arm.

"Who is that girl?"

"That, erm..." Joel gently pulled his arm free. "That lady is my Lord's fiancé. Sage."

"Young Edmund's Lady? And her family name?"

"I believe that is a private matter for the lady," Joel said firmly. "She is not from these parts, my Lord."

Lord Habern shook his head as though to clear his mind, then made a beeline for Sage. It was with some apprehension that she turned to find an older man bearing down upon her. Before she could speak, he raised her hand to his lips with a quick bow.

"Forgive my impertinence, I am Lord Geoffrey Habern," he said shortly, his eyes roaming her bewildered face.

"N-Nice to meet you," she answered, very startled. There was nothing lecherous about stranger, though his behaviour was erratic.

"Would you please sit with me, for a moment?" he asked bluntly, and gently led her away from Celia, who was too preoccupied with making eyes at Garrick from across the room to notice Sage's quick departure.

Sighing as they were seated, Sage neatly arranged her skirts so they would not crush and wondered what this man wanted. She knew his intentions were not amorous, but there was an urgency about his manner that made her nervous. He seemed almost frantic.

"Have you been in town long?" he questioned, in a tone too sharp to be polite enquiry.

"No," Sage answered, uncomfortably returning his scrutinizing stare. "Lord Habern, I do not wish to sound ungracious-"

"You are wondering why you've been so rudely set upon," he said quickly. "I know, Sage, it must seem very unusual. But so are you."

"Oh?" she said icily, by now very tired of being plied with inquiries about her background.

Noticing the hostile change in her, Lord Habern pinched the bridge of his nose. "My dear girl, I am just going to speak my mind." He took a deep breath.

"You are the spitting image of my sister, who died in a carriage accident almost two decades ago. And her child, a daughter...How old are you?"

Sage paled but managed a frivolous laugh. "My Lord, I hope you do not imply..." The sudden realisation that she was speaking with her uncle, Sage choked, but quickly recovered.

"I would not disclose my age to a new acquaintance," she said apologetically, demurely gathering her skirts to avoid his penetrating stare. "But rest assured, my parents are accounted for. I am sorry for your loss."

Lord Habern began to protest, but Sage quickly rose to her feet and made her way into the crowd.

"Oh! I am so sorry!" She blushed, having collided with force into another lady.

Lucille smiled, taking in Sage's classic beauty. "Not at all. I was hoping to meet you. I am Lucille Amelie."

"Pleased to meet you," Sage warily answered, wondering if there was anyone at the ball who would not ogle her so openly. Little could she know the guests' interest in her varied significantly. In this case, she could not know she faced Edmund's former mistress.

"I could not help but notice a likeness between you and Lord Habern. I trust he is some relation?" Lucille inquired.

Sage laughed airily. "Oh, no. Just a strange coincidence."

Lucille shrugged, shrewdly observing the lighter blue tones of Sage's eyes typically attributed to the Habern bloodline. "It happens. I wish I could have met you before tonight."

Sage was curious. "Oh? You must be a good friend of Edmund's."

"Intimately," Lucille retorted, with the ghost of a laugh. Noting Sage's bemusement, she shook her head. "You will find most of us mingle in the same circle. It is quite dull, and I believe you will be a refreshing addition. Excuse me."

Feeling confused and slightly unsettled, Sage watched Lucille's swift departure. Dressed in pink silk with matching roses at her breast, Lucille was charming by appearance, with soulful black eyes and wavy dark hair. But there was something abrupt about her manner that made Sage wonder if she'd said something offensive.

*****

Frederick was particularly animated throughout the evening, perpetually thrilled by entertaining his late chum's son. Finally, he chanced across Edmund and immediately introduced him to Aleksis. That evening Aleksis wore dark green satin fringed with black; an outfit not designed to blend in, given his starkly blonde hair. Aleksis was immune to all attempts at flirtation; his eyes constantly scanned the crowds for any glimpse of Sage.

"Your father must have been very special, to prompt Frederick from hiding," Edmund smiled. Aleksis returned the smile and opened his mouth to speak, but the sound of shattering glass interrupted them.

With a platter of champagne flutes in a broken pile at his feet, Joel stood frozen, staring at Aleksis. He quickly recovered and was swiftly assisted by staff to clean the mess he made.

Seconds later, smaller shatter sounded, and all turned to behold Sage, standing pale and still, her sherry glass in pieces on the floor. Unresponsive, she stared fixedly at the ground as though afraid to lift her gaze.

Edmund and several others rushed over, as servants immediately began to clear the floor.

"Sage, what happened?" Edmund asked worriedly, cupping her wan cheek. "Did Joel startle you? You're white as a ghost."

"I was just clumsy," she said hurriedly, her eyes still set on the floor. "I will be fine, once I sit down."

"Of course, I will take you." Edmund immediately shooed away concerned onlookers and led Sage to a quieter area.

After briefly commenting on the incident, Frederick strolled off in search of brandy, leaving Aleksis staring at the doorway Sage exited. Black eyes contemplative, he was unperturbed when a new presence joined his side.

"You seemed particularly taken with Lord Bard's fiancé," Mary said lightly, her eyes speculatively narrowed.

"She is a fine young lady," Aleksis politely replied, not glancing at the unknown woman who boldly approached him.

Mary's eyes raked Aleksis' figure, before resting on his unsettlingly handsome face. His good looks rivalled both her son and Edmund, who were considered exceptional. The newcomer also possessed a natural air of self-assurance, and if he had designs on Sage, Mary knew he would make a formidable opponent.

"Just know it would be unwise to set affections on the girl," Mary smiled through her threat. "She is quite special. And I am not to be trifled with."

With a swish of her skirts, she departed, but Aleksis merely raised his eyebrows, unbothered by her words and still staring at the doorway.

*****

In a smaller lounge with fewer occupants, Edmund fussed over Sage. After being assured she was not upset, he checked her for cuts.

"I am not hurt. My glass broke on the floor, Edmund," she insisted, feebly trying to extract her hands.

"It could have ricocheted..."

"Edmund, enough!" Sage laughed. "I had too much champagne..."

"It was sherry, Sage," Edmund admonished.

"Not earlier," she cheekily corrected, lightly pushing him. "I just need a moment alone. Go, Edmund. Your guests will worry."

Edmund did look worried, but not about the guests. "Sage, no. I-"

"At least tell Celia I am well," Sage insisted. "I will wait here."

Edmund reluctantly left her side, and Sage heaved some deep breaths. Looking up, her eyes locked with Aleksis' as he leaned against the doorway.

Inclining his head, he left the room.

Sage swallowed and cast a nervous glance around before following, wondering if she was the only one who could see him.

Entering a small room after Aleksis, he discreetly closed the door behind her. It was a quaint room she had never seen before, lit by gentle candlelight with a piano in one corner.

"Aleksis...Y-You're really here?" she ventured, apprehensively looking up at his height.

"Not an apparition, sweet," Aleksis smiled.

"And you...You haven't come to...?"

"I am not here to terrorise you. I am merely a guest at your party," he reassured her. "I thought you knew me better, Sage."

"Of course," Sage hurriedly answered, though continued to wring her hands with agitation.

Aleksis stepped forward and gently took her hands to press a kiss to each upturned palm. "I've missed you, sweet. Will you come home with me?"

Noting her dismay, he chuckled. "Never mind. Stay a while longer. You don't miss me at all?"

"Of course, I do!" Sage said earnestly, finally meeting his burning gaze as he slowly drew her into an embrace. "I-It's just that..."

"That you think you love Edmund?" he murmured against her skin, smiling as a small sigh escaped her. "You do not know him, Sage. Not like you know me."

"Aleksis, I do believe I love him," Sage confessed into his shoulder, and felt his body tense by her disclosure. But when he spoke, his tone was nonchalant.

"Belief is not knowing," he teased, kissing the soft place behind Sage's ear as she shivered in his arms. "I know you feel desire for me, too." Raising his head, he could see she was startled, and felt her heart racing.

"Adorable, when you're uncertain. And particularly exquisite in that gown," he said warmly, recognising that although Sage was very hesitant, she wouldn't stop him. She loved him, he knew, and he relied on familiarity to overcome all barriers.

Lowering his head to kiss her for the first time, the door abruptly opened, and Edmund paused on the threshold, his eyes wide with shock.

"So nice to see you again, Edmund," Aleksis greeted him, slowly releasing Sage.

Edmund immediately recognised Aleksis' voice from their meeting on the road.

"Take your hands from her, Jaromir!" he growled, drawing his sword as a hateful anger overtook him.

"Edmund, no!" Sage gasped, with both hands clapped to her cheeks with horror.

Still smiling, Aleksis stepped away from Sage, but his black eyes flashed challenge.

Edmund approached with clear intent, and Aleksis made no move to fight him.

"Edmund, please! He's done nothing!" Sage pleaded desperately, not exactly sure what she was afraid of. Edmund was ready to kill Aleksis, but Aleksis had his own abilities yet made no effort to apply them. Was he going to stand idle and let Edmund murder him?

"This must be done. Leave," Edmund coldly ordered, not daring to take his eyes off Aleksis.

"Do not fear, sweet," Aleksis murmured. "I will not hurt him."

Edmund snarled at the endearing term and patronising dismissal of him. He raised his sword.

"No! Edmund, you can't do this! You can't!" Sage begged, trying to seize the sword's hilt.

Fearing she might cut herself at that proximity, Edmund brusquely elbowed Sage from harm's way.

Sage staggered and roughly fell against the wall, and only then did Aleksis show anger. His jaw clenched and seemed to extend, he stepped forward with tensed shoulders but recovered his self-control at the last second. It made Edmund pause, before registering that Aleksis silently willed him to attack, without presenting any threat.

"I do not understand you, Edmund!" Sage wept; her voice bitter with wretched accusation.

Edmund lowered his sword, feeling dazed as he watched Sage leave them. Then he slowly turned to Aleksis, and for a moment they stared at each other, before Aleksis casually adjusted his coat and strolled from the room.

Left alone, Edmund realised what a fool he'd been to anticipate a vicious attack, to rely on battle as a solution. He knew nothing about Aleksis' character, but from their encounter on the road, he should have known better.

Aleksis never planned to show violence and drag Sage back to his world. He would not bully or threaten Sage into returning with him.

Recalling the horror on Sage's face and the look of smug, almost amiable expectation on Aleksis', reinforced Edmund's realisation. Aleksis baited Edmund to show brutality in his passion. He wanted Sage to believe Edmund was wrong for her; that Edmund was not the future she wanted.

Aleksis was turning him into the monster.

*****

Avoiding main areas frequented by guests and servants, Sage fled into an empty corridor toward the back of the estate. Hearing movement behind her, she quickly turned to face Nicholas.

"Tears, kitten?" he leered, moving closer as she stepped back, until the wall blocked further retreat. His eyes insolently moved over her attire, settling on the soft curves of her chest prettily framed by the lace bodice. "Quite irresistible. Your dress is divine, but I would adorn you in finer things."

Horrified to be caught in a weak moment by her nemesis, Sage quickly pulled herself together. "By your indecent manner, I'm shocked you'd let so much as a thread grace my body!" she snapped, shedding her civil facade.

Admiring her courage, Nicholas laughed. "I would only keep that rule in my bedchamber."

"Get away from me!" Sage said savagely, more irate than afraid.

Still blocking her flight, Nicholas mockingly tilted his head. "Shall I improve your spirits? I think you liked it when I kissed you," he teased.

Sage slapped at his hands creeping up her shoulders. "I'd rather kiss a mud-soaked boar!" she snarled.

Nicholas licked his lips. "Ah, you will be brought to heel. And make no mistake, it will not be Edmund who does it."

"It will certainly be him, before you! I will die before letting you touch me!" Sage sneered with unusual bravery, considering her size disadvantage. She was not raised to submit to men, and was happy to flagrantly voice her loathing.

"Your compliance will not matter, when you are chained to my bed," Nicholas returned, his blue eyes fierce. Unable to control himself, he caught her hands in one of his, and held her jaw in a vicelike grip.

"You think to assault me here?" Sage hissed, trying to shrink back as Nicholas lowered his head, his eyes hungrily fixed on her mouth. "I'll scream!"

"And I'll be long gone before you're found with your skirts about your ears," Nicholas taunted, their lips almost touching.

Nicholas recognised an uncertain glimmer in Sage's eyes, revealing a naïve predicament. She was hesitating, not wanting to cause an unforgettable scene at her engagement ball and embarrass Edmund. Little did Sage know that Nicholas had no desire to cause a scene, either.

"Fear not, kitten. We'll be truly alone, when I make you scream." Satisfied he'd made his point, Nicholas released her chin and wrists. As his hand left her face, it rudely closed around one breast but dropped away before Sage could challenge him.

"My offer still stands," he murmured, idly tweaking a shining dark lock curled over her shoulder. "I can make you very happy."

"I would be happiest if you were gone from my sight!" Sage retorted, irritably pushing at his immovable broad chest, the diamonds on his coat abrasively pressed into her palms.

"Egad, Nick, I think the young lady wants a private moment!" Garrick remarked, having chanced upon them with Celia on his arm. They had obviously engaged in their own tete-la-tete, with Celia's cheeks rather flushed, and some of her lipstick transferred to Garrick's mouth.

"Much like you and Miss Avon, lurking the premises?" Nicholas said curtly, angered by the interruption as he briskly stepped away from Sage.

"Well, I did not make my companion weep," Garrick said pointedly. "And that is a strange accusation from you," he shrewdly remarked. There was always scandal attached to Nicholas.

Garrick was by no means a great fighter, nor could he match Nicholas' physical prowess. However, he was a gentleman who had taken note of Sage's distress. "Let us join the rest of the company and leave the comforting to Edmund, eh?"

Nicholas glared, then turned on his heel and stalked away.

Eyes bright with new tears, Sage nodded her gratitude before rushing to another room.

Garrick shifted uncomfortably. "Go after her, m'dear."

Celia looked indignant. "I think she wants to be alone, Garrick!"

"And there are persons here who won't respect that," Garrick said shortly. "And it won't do to have me chasing after the girl in Nicholas' wake! Go on, keep her company until I can find Edmund."

As Celia dutifully followed Sage, Garrick sighed with his hands on his hips. It seemed there was never a party he could attend without feeling obligated to intervene in a scandalous drama. But Edmund was a man he deeply respected, and he would never do such a disservice to stand aside and look the other way if Sage was in trouble. And they all knew Nicholas was trouble.