The Ward Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Who?"

Sage averted her eyes. "Edmund."

Nicholas grunted dismissively. "You had better hope that he doesn't," he warned, lowering his head to trail kisses up her neck. "He is no threat. The danger to you lies within these walls. And I so want to keep you, kitten."

He thoughtfully kissed the side of her mouth before vacating the bed and pulling the blanket to cover her nudity. Before leaving the room, he picked a specific chain from the wall, forced it about Sage's neck and locked it around one of the bedposts.

"I enjoy your hatred," he announced, readjusting his clothing back to modesty. "I will be your Master, Sage. I will also protect you, as best I can."

Sage made a snarling sound and turned her face to the bedding.

"There is no way out for you," Nicholas informed her, watching her irritably wriggle against her binds beneath the duvet, delighted to have finally found a woman he considered a worthy companion. But she was no good to him dead. "I may have found a way to buy you more time."

***

A servant knocked and announced Nicholas into his mother's chamber. She was still awake, sitting listlessly by candlelight with a glass of wine.

"Did you find success with our guest?" she inquired.

Nicholas glanced behind as the servant closed the door to give them privacy. "Sage knew that Jaromir had arrived, before he made his presence known. They are connected."

"That we already know," Mary said with wry impatience, sipping her wine. "I hope you did not spend the last hour exchanging pleasantries.

Nicholas relaxed against the door and crossed his arms. "I whipped and violated her, to no avail but my own pleasure. Whatever she does or does not disclose, we cannot verify it. Even if she reached a point of cooperation, we cannot trust her to demonstrate it. We cannot empower her in the slightest, mother. It would be foolhardy."

Mary tapped her nails along the table.

"She can be forced to marry me," Nicholas carelessly went on, still appearing nonchalant. "Which was the original basis of our pursuit."

Mary sighed harshly; her lips pursed with displeasure.

"Jaromir will return for her," Nicholas quickly added, before she could overrule him. "I know how deeply he interests you. You saw the manner of his departure; he will return and we could question him."

"I suspect that endeavour could be our demise." Mary finally looked up from her nails. "I chose this girl for more than your amusement, Nicholas."

"As I am aware," he swiftly replied. "She is rare on account of more than spirit. It might not be prudent to irreparably damage her. If you've taught me anything it is to act with calculation and not prematurely."

"You are defending her welfare," Mary tartly surmised, her eyes shrewdly narrowed. "How strangely romantic of you, Nicholas."

"We value tradition," he retorted, his tone still respectful. "A husband is master and protector of his wife."

"Even if she despises you to her dying breath?"

Nicholas' determination did not waver. "Then that is her choice. I hold to my standards."

"Are you yet married?" Mary smiled at Nicholas' angry flush. "Very well, you have made a compelling point. There is little to be revealed by her corpse. She is more useful to us alive and I suppose I should put your fears to rest, darling, I never intended, nor do I intend, to murder the girl." Her smile widened to a taunting grin when Nicholas exhaled with visible relief.

"So, are you appeased that your love is safe?" she teased, coyly batting her lashes.

"Thank you, mother," he answered through his teeth, disliking the insinuation of his weakness.

"You say you violated her?" Mary purred. "How?"

Nicholas could smile genuinely this time. "We bargained to extend her virginity. I fucked her another way."

Mary's face transformed; her eyes sparkled with amusement. "If she is truly disobedient, sometimes the whip handle is more convincing, than the lash."

"I will keep that in mind. On this occasion, my cock sufficed."

"I'm sure she enjoyed it," Mary laughed.

"I ensured we both did," he smugly bowed.

"I dispatched a messenger to hasten the clergy," Mary informed him. "I want the spell underway long before daybreak."

"I shall enjoy the last hours of Sage's resistance," Nicholas smirked.

Still chuckling, Mary dismissively waved a hand and turned her attention back to her wine.

***

Sage stirred with a distressed moan, feeling stifled under the weight of a man. Nicholas was at her back, thankfully clothed, but still revoltingly close.

"Merely hours till dawn, Kitten," he smiled into her hair, knowing she was awake by the way she tensed with loathing. "I know you will make me a proud husband and father."

"I look forward to disappointing you," she retorted.

Nicholas laughed; his cock hardening. "Oh, Sage..."

The doors burst open. Nicholas jerked up with surprise as Mary hurried into the room, a flock of servants following.

"The Guard is here," she said sharply, her angered gaze on Sage. "They will not be refused. We must hide her, quickly."

Sage's scream for help was caught under Nicholas' palm. "I thought the Guard-?"

"They are not all in our employ!" Mary snapped, her eyes roaming the room as the torture implements and chains were quickly covered by servants. "They must have a very compelling reason to intrude with such insolence."

"Edmund," Nicholas muttered, stuffing a cloth into Sage's mouth and roughly securing it with rope.

"What could he possibly-" Mary frowned, a heavy tread fell behind her and she swept around.

A large man in a black leather uniform crossed his arms in the doorway, observing at the servants scurrying about the room. With dark green eyes, of great height and study build, he might be very handsome if his face was not grim and foreboding; mouth set in a thin line.

"I convinced them to begin at the West Wing," he announced, his voice naturally cold. "If they find matters of the occult..."

"I am not a fool. Stephan, could you not have warned of this?" Mary hissed, glancing behind him to check none approached.

"You are fortunate I was advised at all," Stephan drawled, his soulless gaze drawn to Sage's struggle. "This pretty thing is the cause of upheaval?" he inquired; eyebrow arched as Nicholas continued to restrain her. "I've not seen her before. Who is she?"

"Nicholas' fiancé," Mary snarled. "Who ordered the search?"

"A strange coincidence of characters commanded the attention of the Guard's most senior," Stephan smiled wanly, still observing Sage, his eyes flickering between her flushed face, her young breasts; his lips twitched as Nicholas forced her down, exposing the red stripes on her upper back. He sighed; the sound both bored and wistful.

"You have been accused by two very noble families, who demanded immediate action. The matter could not be ignored, or delayed."

"Two? I take it Lord Edmund Bard was one?" Mary snapped.

Stephan gently bowed; his crossed arms belied the respectful gesture.

"And the other?" Mary demanded. "Lucille Amelie?"

Stephan gently shook his head. "Does a lady besides yourself ever enter this residence willingly?" he mused. "You may keep your little bird but be sure she remains silent."

"Who was the other, if not Lucille?" Mary spat, her cheeks bright red with aggravation.

Stephan turned with a curious gleam in his eyes. "Lord Habern," he softly answered, scrutinising Mary's reaction.

"Habern?" Mary uttered incredulously, feeling overwhelmed as she tried to piece together the connection between Edmund, the ominously handsome stranger, Lord Habern and Sage.

"Lords Bard and Habern," Stephan confirmed, inclining his head. "Two of our town's most prestigious, respectable families have spoken against you."

"Habern," Mary softly repeated, as though uncovering a shocking betrayal. "Under my very nose this entire time."

"Many have staked a claim upon this unknown, pretty bird," Stephan remarked, his bored tone turned silky as his focus switched to Sage's desperate struggle. "And so fresh. I could arrest and discipline her..."

"She attracts no little attention. Her presence in your chambers would be quite conspicuous after she made half the town's acquaintance this evening," Mary said acidly, unwilling to entertain the prospect. "She is also resilient; not your average scared peasant or childish miss. You could not tame her without damage." Again, she cast a vicious stare Sage's way.

Stephan softly chuckled. "My tactics are not all hot pokers and thumbscrews. I would relish the task," he said lightly. The humour soon left his face and he smacked his lips, considering the current situation. "I presume your dungeon has occupants?"

"Three or five girls," Mary shrugged. "Of course, had I known my home would be raided..."

"Keeping slaves is within the law for noble households, barely, if they are foreignly acquired and not mistreated beyond..." he looked cynical. "Will they speak against you?"

"Those still with tongues might dare."

"I trust they are all peasants of the lowest connections?"

Mary sullenly nodded.

"If they offer incriminating testimony, I will see it short-lived," Stephan said. "You will not be arrested but prepare to pay handsomely for vindication. Given the nature of what will be uncovered, interrogations are unavoidable, but you may yet dodge open scandal. Choose your scapegoats wisely."

The sound of collective running grew closer. Not servant footfall, the boots of the Guard.

With the room moderately presentable, Mary ordered the servants leave. They fearfully skulked past Stephan, who paid them no heed and continued to stare between Mary and Sage.

Turning on his heel, he left the room to meet his colleagues, firmly drawing the bedroom doors closed behind him. Stephan could be heard from the other side advising his companions the Lady of the manor would meet them downstairs.

Taking a moment to compose herself, Mary viciously tightened her bed robe, cast a last poisonous glance to Sage, who glared right back at her, and stalked from the room.

Unhurriedly arranging her loose hair, Mary haughtily descended a tall staircase, coldly observing the assembled men and servants below.

Stephan was debating with two animated members of the Guard, the others stayed well out of it. Even from a distance it was clear the two spoke heatedly, whilst Stephan's manner was calmly dismissive.

"Forgive me for not offering refreshment," Mary called, her tone hostile. "But I do not take kindly to my home being overrun at this hour."

Conversation ceased as all watched Mary's confident approach. When she reached the group, the servants bowed their distance. The majority of the guard politely stepped back, leaving Stephan and the two who defiantly stood their ground. One was quite young for his station, fresh-faced with an ambitious determination for justice burning in his dark eyes. The second was older, lean, bald but with a large moustache and an air of grave concern about him.

"My Lady," Stephan bowed with impeccable graciousness and a small smile of contempt. "We would not have dreamt of intruding upon your premises and privacy if we were not compelled to do so."

"What have you to say for the women kept below the South Wing?" Snapped the younger man, his hand still on the hilt of his sword. "Young peasants found in unspeakable-!"

Stephan whirled on him with an eyebrow raised, and the man choked down his angry words and took a resentful step back.

"Below the South Wing?" Mary faintly echoed with a shocked gasp. "Beneath the kitchens? Tis a cellar, I believe," she frowned with deep thoughtfulness. "Much of my home, I am mortified to admit, is managed by servants. One could not expect me to be privy to what occurs in every room of an estate so large," she explained. "And, of course, Nicholas would never venture where servants dally. And you say peasant girls..." she shuddered and touched a hand to her cheek.

"Then on the morrow I shall expect a list of your servants who access that part of your home," Stephan bowed again. "They will be arrested and unlikely to return to your employ. The ones who run will be captured and granted less leniency. I advise you to make arrangements for their replacement."

"How upsetting for such events to occur under my roof!" Mary sighed sadly.

"Where is Lord Stiles?" Queried the bald man, endeavouring not to sound accusatory.

"I suspect he eloped tonight." Mary snapped her fingers at one of the servants against the wall. "Search his quarters." The servant immediately bowed and sprinted up the stairs.

"I will accompany him," advised the lean Guard. Stephan's hand shot out to grip his arm.

"We do not take liberties in noble households," he said bitingly, as Mary inspected her nails with a yawn. "If the Lord is at home, he is likely fast asleep in his bedchamber, and I will not have his privacy violated in this manner." He turned his attention to Mary. "Are you acquainted with Lord Bard's fiancé?"

"Why, yes," Mary answered, her eyes lightened. "A lovely girl I met tonight at their engagement ball. Why do you ask?"

"Lord Bard and her uncle, Lord Habern, claim she is being detained here."

Mary's eyes widened. "Her uncle, you say?"

"Yes, my Lady," Stephan smirked, his amusement clear.

Mary quickly recovered from the fact Stephan deliberately omitted to mention the detail in private. "It is quite strange they would think-"

"A number of Lord Bard's servants, and one of his guests, Lord Garrick Clifford, witnessed her departure from the Bard estate with your son."

"Oh, dear, I hoped to avoid scandal," Mary airily responded. "It pains me to admit they flirted obscenely at tonight's ball, and several observed it. I'd not be surprised if they had eloped and returned married."

"I would be," the young Guard rudely muttered under his breath, which earned him a scorching glare from Stephan to hold his tongue.

They fell into awkward silence, until the returning servant rapidly descended the stairs to bow low to Mary. "He is not in his chambers, my Lady."

Stephan smiled thinly. "Then our search is complete, and we have no cause to trespass further." He bowed for the last time. "My deepest apologies for disrupting you at this late hour, my lady."

Expressionless, Mary watched the servants escort the Guard from the main hall.

***

Outside the property, Edmund angrily paced the ground while Habern remained in his carriage. After exchanging strained formalities, they decided to await the Guard separately, both with their own reasons for secrecy.

When the Guard emerged, Edmund ran over and Habern hastily exited the coach to join them.

"Well?" Edmund snapped, staring heatedly between the men, most could not meet his eyes and backed away to leave Stephan to address him. "Where is she?"

"My Lords, I am afraid our search was almost fruitless," Stephan gestured to where a group of wretched young women were being assisted to a carriage normally reserved for prisoners. "Perhaps fortunate, as we do not lightly tolerate baseless accusations against esteemed families. However, Lord Bard, your fiancé is not-"

"Nonsense, Stephan, she must be," Habern said sharply. "She left the Bard manor with Stiles-"

"And she is not here," Stephan lightly bowed, seeming to tire of the act. "Perhaps it is unsurprising with the alleged intrigue between Lord Stiles and-"

"She hates him!" Edmund raged; his hand white on his sword handle.

"That often appears the case in affairs of indiscretion," Stephan said with condescending sympathy. "But it is not for me to comment on personal matters between Quality. I can only confirm your fiancé is not here. I recommend reporting her absence to town so we can commence an official investigation...unless she should return with an explanation, which I deem quite likely."

Both Habern and Edmund seemed to undergo inner battles unable to be voiced civilly. Stephan suppressed a smile at the entertaining spectacle and cleared his throat. Before he could continue, Edmund was in his face; tall enough not to be intimidated by Stephan's formidable height.

"You know there are wrongs committed here," Edmund snarled with such aggression Stephan almost stepped back.

"And I find much reward in that knowledge," Stephan softly countered for Edmund's ears alone.

A deadly rage flashed in Edmund's eyes; his attention shifted from Stephan's smug gaze to the black and silver insignia on his chest. It was a symbol of integrity, the colours indicative of high rank.

Edmund gripped the leather patch and tore it clear of Stephan's uniform with brute force, grinding the piece to the dirt beneath his heel.

Stephan staggered from the strength and speed of Edmund's pull, drawing the curiosity of the others. But Edmund was clearly not finished, and Habern quickly stepped between the men.

"Stephan, you dropped this," Habern announced with a slightly raised voice, retrieving Stephan's badge from the ground to lightly dust with his gloves.

Stephan paused a heartbeat before accepting it with a savage grin starkly different from his cool composure. "My Lords, I am afraid your presence here is unwelcome and it is time you took your leave."

Stephan tilted his head when Edmund's sword drew three inches from the scabbard. "Your title only shelters you so far, Lord Bard," he cautioned softly, and by now the entire yard was watching. "Consider your next motion carefully."

Edmund relaxed his hold, allowing the heavy sword to fall back into the sheath. "This will not be forgotten," he quietly threatened. "You, particularly, will be remembered."

"I should be honoured to retain a place in your memory, my Lord," Stephan pleasantly replied, his voice laced with vindictive mockery. Accepting the reigns of his horse from a servant, he mounted with surprising agility for a man of his size.

Led by Stephan, the men on horseback moved in single file, the carriage of liberated women drawing behind. Stephan paused by the front gate and pointedly waited.

"I would be grateful if you called on me, Edmund, there is much to discuss," Habern brusquely muttered with a short bow before retreating to his carriage, wringing his gloves.

Habern's carriage passed through the gates. Edmund and Stephan stared at each other for a long minute until finally, Edmund stalked to his mount, took his time getting comfortable in the saddle, and gently eased the horse to slowly walk by the waiting group and through the front entrance.

At last the courtyard was empty, and the servants quickly closed and locked the gates.

***

Sage knew the hurdle Aleksis faced, and that he would not abandon her. But time was of the essence; she would soon be married and have all her nightmares manifest. Whatever ceremony Mary had planned for her was likely to be more than verbal vows. She would just have to rescue herself.

When Mary reappeared with two servants carrying a dress, Sage kept her angry gaze on the floor and offered no objections when told she would wear it. Nicholas was surprised and clearly relieved that Sage didn't challenge Mary in her current mood.

The gown was blue velvet, almost black, with an intricate pattern of glittering diamonds and sapphires sewn throughout. It was impressively regal, but not a wedding gown. It dipped low in the front, and similarly at the back but more extensively, a long V that only ended at the start of the skirt. The full, round curves of Sage's breasts were almost fully exposed, the material lining only just managing to cover her nipples.

A diamond link under the bust prevented the top half of the dress from dividing completely. The connecting skirt was tightly laced across her pelvis, the material bountiful and flowing, sections solid velvet with the rest sheer silk layers. As Sage walked, her long legs would be inevitably visible in a way both artistic and obscene. Majestic as the gown was, its revealing nature would be considered nothing less than scandalous if viewed in polite society.