The Ward Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Blinking in a sultry daze, Sage breathlessly nodded.

Mary exhaled with relief as the priests exchanged pleased glances.

"Continuously observe her markings," the priest advised Mary. "The trance would last three days, but with what you've shared and what I have seen, I would not take her into society after the next twenty-four hours."

"I only need her to publicly recognise Nicholas as her husband," Mary said dismissively, satisfied by the way Sage continued to watch Nicholas from under her lashes, both shy and impatient for him. "I am more interested in her knowledge."

The priest nodded with an ironic smile. "And when she resumes her senses, she will appear to have convincingly lost those senses."

"Unfit nobles are assigned home treatment before the asylum. Her husband will have full authority, even Bard would be powerless," Mary chuckled. "Oh, she will be a lively patient."

"That will please Faustus," the priest remarked, watching his colleague with the bitten hand continue to glare resentfully at Sage.

Full of self-importance, Mary strode to the entwined couple. "Nicholas, the altar. It is time you are wed."

Staring as though he witnessed an impossible miracle, Nicholas stood and drew Sage up with him. When she dizzily strained onto her toes for more kisses, Nicholas playfully withheld. Anticipating a short period where he would enjoy the most passionate trysts with her willing and eager, he threw back his head with a sudden laugh of gay abandon.

The priests formed a circle, Mary stood to the side, and Nicholas took position behind Sage. Sage grinned stupidly as Nicholas' fingertips trailed up and down the sides of her arms, his lips by her ear whispering intimate promises that she seemed not to hear.

One priest licked his finger and turned the page of an ancient book, dipped a quill to where some of Sage's blood had spilled, and began to write.

Enjoying the sight of Sage so enchanted with her son, Mary tittered, admiring the girl's elegance, her beauty, her flirtatious feminine charm that she'd determinedly withheld from them till this moment.

Bending his head, Nicholas drew Sage's hair aside to press a sensual kiss to her neck. Mary's smug smile vanished completely when Sage failed to suppress a shiver of revulsion.

"Wait!" Mary shouted.

Sage lunged for the altar, seized the knife used to cut her hand and turned to plunge it into Nicholas' chest as he gripped her shoulders.

Nicholas' mouth fell open, his eyes bulged with disbelief and he slowly dropped to his knees.

Mary caught her son before he toppled, and cradled him in her lap, anxiously considering the long blade in his chest. "Breathe easy, darling, this is just..."

An ear-splitting roar filled the room. After a startled moment, the witnessing servants fled, and could be heard screaming to sudden silence where they encountered the source of the sound.

Sage was immediately released as the clergy ran for their lives, through a smaller tunnel likely avoiding the house and leading back to high ground.

Mary turned to Sage.

"You!" she snarled.

A figure bounded from the shadows, and Sage blindly followed the priests as something landed upon Mary and Nicholas. Their shrieks followed her, and she covered her ears, only stopping for a moment to kick off the painful shoes and continue her flight barefoot.

By the time she burst through the open hatch and drew a breath of fresh, chilled air, Sage pulled up abruptly and almost fell back down the stairs when she collided with Edmund, who was preparing to enter the hatch. Aleksis stood waiting, the clergy dead at his feet.

Faint with bewilderment, Sage glanced about the courtyard where horses ran loose; the bodies of Mary's knights scattered throughout. Aleksis had dispensed with them, and Edmund had clearly contributed his share of work to the battle.

Edmund quickly sheathed his bloodied sword, and Aleksis strode forward, wiping the red from his palms to break the collar from Sage's throat. Before Edmund could object, Aleksis turned with Sage in his arms and locked eyes with him.

"Run," he ordered, his tone brooked no argument. "I can carry her at a speed which you cannot, and once she is safe, I must return here."

Edmund started when one tower went up in flames, for a moment mesmerised by the enormous estate he'd known his whole life falling to chaos, from where the echoes of screams, smashing, and a ferocious howling reverberated through the property.

Whatever was in the underground had backtracked to the mansion where the majority of servants were stationed, and they were spilling out the exits in hysterical clusters. Clearly candles were toppled in the carnage, little fires growing in number and flaring throughout the estate.

Pulling himself together, Edmund noticed he was alone and sprinted to the forest.

***

After running for several minutes that felt like an eternity, Edmund sighted Aleksis gently lowering Sage to sit on the forest ground. Aleksis straightened to face Edmund, curtly gestured to Sage's stunned, limp figure. Edmund blinked and Aleksis was gone, a slight swirl of breeze in his wake.

"Sage!" Edmund rushed forward and fell to his knees, drawing her against his chest.

Sage's breath hitched and her fingers closed over his shoulders, holding him close. Edmund drew back, concerned.

"Sage, are you hurt?" he demanded in a whisper, tentatively inspecting her. When his fingertips brushed her back she quietly whimpered, and Edmund felt the most intense rage of his life surge through him when he saw the red lash-marks etched across her soft skin.

"They're dead, Edmund," Sage confirmed weakly, sensing his fury. "There's naught to be avenged, now."

"It's not enough." Edmund's face tightened with grief, and he gently held her by the waist, his eyes glittering with angry tears. "Gods, it will never be enough. I should never have left you, Sage. I'm so sorry."

Sage smiled with a tired sigh. "Edmund, there's not-"

Edmund's hand slipped between them to cover her mouth. "Don't move," he breathed. "We're being watched."

Sage's eyes widened pleadingly, silently begging for no more horrors. Edmund gave her a reassuring smile, his other hand slowly moving to grip his sword handle.

A large stick cracked under a heavy step, followed by a deep, guttural snarl. Edmund drew a deep breath as the volume increased, then abruptly stood, drawing his sword and bracing to fight.

The curious figure staggered closer, panting raggedly; the veins in his face visibly black against gaunt, pale skin. Soft brown eyes turned wild and fierce; front teeth extended past his lower lip, grazing his chin and drawing blood.

"What in the... Gods...Simon?" Edmund gasped, readjusting his hold on the sword with dismay.

Sage cried out when she recognised Simon, who jerkily fixed his attention on her, his nostrils flared, deeply inhaling. Horrified, Sage gaped at the meek servant boy; transformed to a creature of violent instinct.

"Be still," Aleksis quietly cautioned, slowly stepping out from the trees. "Do not strike, Edmund. You will only antagonise him."

Simon twisted, his burning gaze now on Aleksis, who held out both hands, palms facing upward. Simon stepped back with a grunt and shook his head as though a bothersome insect pestered him, then resumed staring at Aleksis, who was suddenly closer to him, entirely calm.

"Aleksis, what have y-?" Sage gasped but stopped when Simon whirled toward her.

Aleksis sharply clapped his hands together to recapture the boy's attention.

"Silence," he softly ordered, holding Simon's gaze with an unblinking intensity, the effect hypnotic. "Retreat slowly, both of you."

After recent events and the spectacle they faced, Sage was ready to succumb to hysterics. But Edmund slowly retreated to her side and gently pressed her shoulder. Immediately Sage's hand went to his and clenched around it. Slowly, she allowed him to draw her to her feet, and the pair carefully backed away into the forest.

Once a safe distance, Edmund sheathed his sword and wrapped his cloak about Sage. She stumbled with fatigue and he swept her into his arms before she could fall. He carried her to his mount, felt her shaking against his chest, tears wet against his throat.

"I hope you realise what he has done, Sage," Edmund said lowly, the words sickened him but couldn't be denied. "The way Simon was... that is the future he plans for you."

Sage curled up tighter in his arms, feeling nauseous. She couldn't tell Edmund the terrible thing the priests discovered in the Stiles' underground.

The journey to Edmund's home was in silence. Sage feigned sleep and enjoyed the warmth of Edmund's chest against her back, though it smarted a little from the contact. His scent was familiar, his arms were about her and she could finally rest.

The night's terrors and discoveries weighed too heavily on her mind for sleep, despite her exhaustion. Though Edmund's horse was graceful, Sage felt the slight ache where Nicholas had raped her, refreshing the memory every step of the way; impossible to forget. At least she had the last word by the knife, though something else had the pleasure of taking his life. But the fact she fleetingly admired Nicholas, entirely confused him for a desirable man, would pain her forever.

Edmund made no comment when Sage viciously tugged the ornate diamond ring from her finger and threw it aside, where it tumbled into the dark.

Waiting servants sighted their steady arrival and quickly unlocked the front gates to make way for them. Sage looked up and saw Joel's silhouette in one of the windows.

"I will wait here for Aleksis," she murmured, feeling Edmund tense behind her.

"I would not like you to meet him alone, Sage."

"Very well." Sage swallowed, preparing for her next demand. "I must speak with him privately, Edmund. It is important. If you could arrange for a mount-"

"Sage-"

"I would prefer not to leave these grounds in his arms," she candidly interrupted.

Edmund dismounted in silence and turned to the who had rushed out to meet them. After a moment of deep thought, he nodded, though clearly displeased.

"Have Alina saddled for my lady, and bring a change of clothes," he ordered, and turned to lift Sage down.

He stared down at her, noting her revealing dress, the streaks on her face where tears had fallen and dried. The unspoken truth that she had been brutalised. But he was still entirely in the dark about what transpired. There was so much to say, but he'd no idea where to begin.

"I am well, Edmund," Sage quietly reassured him, sensing his anxiety.

"I cannot believe that!" he exclaimed, lowering his voice when she looked unimpressed. "You must be tended, and you must rest. I'll not press you with questions tonight, Sage, but after everything..." he stopped when two servants arrived, leading Sage's horse.

Sage smiled briefly and reached to stroke Edmund's cheek. "Assist me, Edmund."

Edmund paused; his body frozen by a tough decision. He wanted to drag Sage over his shoulder and forcibly carry her into the estate. But he'd promised himself long ago he would never again interfere with Sage's free will. By her manner there was still affection, most importantly, she trusted him and if he turned on her now, the aftermath would be unsalvageable. He would have to respect her decision and trust her to return.

Drawing a deep breath, Edmund reluctantly lifted her into the saddle. Sage reached for his hand, drawing his frowning attention from her blistered feet in the stirrups, so small and fragile.

A maid tentatively approached with a small bundle of clothing. When Edmund ignored her, the flustered girl hurriedly held the package up to Sage, who accepted it with a cool smile and nod of thanks.

Edmund shook his head. "Sage, I beg you-"

Aleksis cleared his throat, waiting at the border of the estate. He had changed attire, there was no evidence of the bloodshed he'd wreaked. Though he seemed politely composed, there was a cold impatience about him.

"Dawn approaches," he said pointedly, before turning to stride from the road into the forest.

Smoothing a calming hand down the nape of her unsettled mare, Sage directed the horse to follow, avoiding glancing back to Edmund, who she knew stared until she left his view.

They went deep into the forest, away from the crude dirt path until Sage was forced to tie her horse to the bough of a tree and dismount. Waiting several metres away, Aleksis turned his back as Sage unpacked the clothing bundle, discarded the jewelled gown and dressed in a sky-blue travelling dress.

Once Sage finally laced her shoes and approached, she met his inquisitive gaze for a simmering moment, then let hers fall.

Observing her unsettled demeanour, Aleksis pursed his lips, his face severe. "Well, Sage? What weighs on your mind?"

"You could identify it better than I, Aleksis." Her resentful gaze lifted from the ground to his handsome face, she touched her fingertips to her pulse.

Aleksis sighed with harsh resignation. "Sage-"

"You deceived me!" she blurted furiously, unable to contain her feelings any longer. "You had me believe it was my decision!"

"Sage, it was your decision," he reasoned. "I only began when you made your promise. You made your choice first."

Silent tears stole down her cheeks. "And why keep it secret? In case I had a change of heart?"

Aleksis bit his lip, his eyes defensively angry. Sage woodenly nodded, feeling strangely composed though her world seemed catastrophic.

"This is why sunlight would not bother me?" she said bitterly. "Because of a slow conversion?"

Aleksis made a curt gesture. "My own change was sudden and a terrible ordeal...well, you saw Simon. I would not have you endure it. I was fortunate that the physical agony was hardly worse than my state of mind at the time. My emotions... Sage I wanted to spare you pain, and so you will be stronger than I was..."

"But, Aleksis, you commenced it," she uttered, her face blank with dread as she came to an abrupt discovery more painful than the last. "That is how you could recently enter my dreams and speak in my mind."

"I've been strengthening our connection-"

"You've been poisoning me," she flatly interjected. "You know what that means."

"Sage, no! I love you!" Aleksis vehemently declared, taking her hands and holding them to his chest. She allowed it, but would not look at him, no matter how desperately he tried to catch her gaze, it remained coldly fixed on his chest. "Sage, listen to me. I would never do anything that would-"

His voice died when she met his eyes and gently withdrew her hands to distance herself.

"Sage, please, you must understand-" He tried again but was silenced by the grief on her face.

"I think I could feel it," she said distantly, her eyes troubled. "Perhaps I never entertained the possibility because I trusted you and I thought..." she looked down, raising a hand to halt Aleksis when he moved to hold her.

Sage cast her mind back to the recent whirlwind events. The sudden exposure to Edmund, falling headily in love, anticipating a life she never imagined she might live; the bustling household so different to her isolation with Aleksis. Both existences were happy. Except...

"Can you tell me that I still have a choice, and claim it truth?" she murmured, her voice level despite the tears dripping down her face.

Aleksis looked desperate, his eyes pleading with her to relent.

"It was never a matter of convincing, was it?" she slowly continued. "Your scheme was more intricate. I had to choose you willingly, so I would never find out what you have done."

A mournful silence followed. They knew each other's thoughts; the same terrible weight burdening their minds. Finally, when she felt composed enough to speak again, Sage voiced it.

"It's not just for love that you won't permit my natural life with Edmund." She paused expectantly to see if he would deny her accusation or contradict it.

Aleksis seemed to choke, his chest trembled with emotion, his face tightened, and for the first time Sage saw a strange fluid leak from his eyes. It was inky black, and terrifying against his pale, flawless complexion. Still, he did not speak to his defence.

"So, it's true," Sage softly clarified; her lips twisted to a broken smile. "I'm already dying."