The Ward Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

While the women discreetly shifted to ogle Alexander from their respective positions, Lucille deliberately moved to shield herself from view. Feeling like a caught rat, she scowled while they continued to whisper about him. If she left the group, he might see her. If she stayed behind, there was a fair chance he'd sight her.

Deciding to risk a departure, Lucille leaned back to check Alexander was busy and froze when they locked eyes. The group of women fell to shocked silence when the tall knight walked right up to them and bowed to Lucille.

"My lady, I'd hoped to find you here," he grinned with a friendliness that made more than one lady's jaw drop. "I was beginning to despair I'd not see you again."

Lucille had paled with horror when he approached, now she was furiously blushing. The women stared between them, stunned by Alexander's personal acknowledgement.

"Pretty words, my Lord," Lucille forced a prim answer, wishing a fire would break out in the room so she could immediately leave. "I am sure by such means you've captured many hearts at court."

"None which I've been inclined to keep," he bantered, turning with annoyance when a servant tapped his tall shoulder and whispered.

"I am in demand," Alexander sighed. "I look forward to that dance you promised me, Lady Amelie." Ignoring the awed women openly gawking at him, he bowed to Lucille and wandered off.

"Well!" Lady Caroline Cindy breathed with delight, rapidly fanning herself. "The Knight finds favour in this town, after all. How sly of you not to tell us, Lucille!"

"He is a mere flirt," Lucille retorted, fanning herself with equal enthusiasm but substantially less delight.

"Or perhaps in dire need of money," Lady Finnley drawled with unveiled spite. From a large family with a dwindling estate, Lady Finnley possessed none of Lucille's beauty or wealth, and she did not bear her misfortunes gracefully.

"Oh, he'd be ten times as rich as our Lucille," Caroline tittered, using her fan to rap Lady Finnley's knuckles with a pressure sharper than was friendly. "And no wonder she draws his eye, she is gloriously pretty, is she not?"

"Caroline," Lucille wryly chastised, not caring to be defended. Though immune to feminine barbs, it was one reason she was not inclined to socialise.

"Well, Lady Finnley seems to infer you are not worthy of Lord Dacre's attention," Caroline merrily protested. "I think you would match splendidly."

Excited by the prospect, she held up two navy gloved hands to frame her vision. "You would have the grandest of weddings, birth the most darling children, and of course you would invite me to stay at one of your many enormous estates in the King's land."

Shaking her head, Lucille laughed at her friend's frivolity.

"One could not deny Lady Amelie has a great talent for luring coveted suitors to her inner-circle," Lady Finnley sneered. "But convincing them to the altar is another matter entirely."

This was followed by an ugly silence.

"Oh, my!" Caroline exclaimed.

Lucille blinked and beheld the contents of her friend's wine glass dripping down Lady Finnley's face.

"My goodness, I am dreadfully clumsy!" Caroline profusely apologised. "I felt a tickle on my elbow and thought a beastly insect was biting me."

No one contradicted this farcical explanation. Most of the women silently approved of Caroline's initiative.

Once adequately dabbed dry by servants, Lady Finnley took a moment's seething contemplation before opting not to make a scene.

"My dress is quite ruined," she snapped, glaring down her bosom to where the red fluid had seeped into the white lace.

"Send the bill to my estate," Caroline cheerfully replied, taking Lucille's hand and leading her away from the group. "It'll be a small sum, by the look of it," she murmured to Lucille.

"Caroline, that was completely unnecessary," Lucille said reproachfully.

"That woman has been at your throat for years and we're sick of it," Caroline rolled her eyes. "And wearing grey muslin with that cheap white lace! There was nothing to ruin, believe me." She glanced around and continued in a lower voice. "Now, tell me how you came to be on such terms with that fearfully handsome Knight."

"No terms, Caroline," Lucille said impatiently. "He found me at the piano and introduced himself."

"Introduced himself! He must have been incredibly intrigued to be so bold. Oh, that is the most romantic meeting!" Caroline crowed.

Lucille snorted in an unladylike manner very similar to Sage's habit of expressing contempt, then jumped with fright when Alexander laughed loudly behind them.

"My goodness, there is Lord Linely!" Caroline exclaimed. "I've been searching for him for...because...well...Please excuse me," she finished lamely, and curtsied away before Lucille could stop her.

"Lady Amelie, that shade of rouge is divinely complimentary," Alexander observed, smiling down at Lucille's red face. Without waiting for a response, he placed her hand on his arm and calmly led the mortified woman away from the dining hall toward the gardens.

When they reached a quiet section, Lucille finally summoned the strength to speak. "My Lord, I must be clear about something. I do not mean to cause offence..."

"I am a difficult man to offend," Alexander grinned, prepared for another rebuff.

Lucille withdrew her hand, putting distance between them under the guise of admiring a shrub of yellow roses. It was a bizarre situation; having to reject a man she desired.

Lucille was surprised by the strength of her feelings. But it was not Dacre's illustrious title or his notable handsomeness; Lucille never cared for such enticements.

There was something else about him. Perhaps it was his refreshing charm typical of the Royal court, or his obvious intelligence. Or the keen way he watched her; his dark eyes soulful but also hungry.

Lucille firmly concluded she had no right to encourage a man of such coveted ranking, especially one she genuinely admired. It would be unconscionable and a man like Dacre deserved better.

By now his interest in her was becoming uncomfortably public, and she needed to squash the prospect of anything budding between them before it reached a seriousness that would sting her as much as losing Edmund.

"Lucille?" Alexander prompted. "I believe you were endeavouring to offend me?"

Having just regained a normal colour, Lucille blushed again. "Lord Dacre-"

"Alexander," he insisted.

"No, my Lord," Lucille shook her head. "I am sorry to be rude, but I do not wish to...to..." she swallowed. "Be friends with you," she finished awkwardly.

"Are you engaged?" he asked quietly.

"No," Lucille stupidly answered, immediately cursing her honesty.

"Then, why?" he inquired, softer still, moving closer until Lucille found herself pressed into the hedge to avoid him.

"B-Because, my Lord," she said desperately, staring up with dread and hoping there were no witnesses. "I..."

"Do you know what I am known for?" Alexander murmured, towering over her, satisfied she was cornered.

Lucille struggled for words. "Y-You're an effective military leader... You're close to the King," she tried, unsure what the answer was. He was known for a number of impressive things.

"I am perceptive. I have an inquisitive mind," he clarified.

Lucille rolled her eyes, despairing that his cycle of flirtation was making her task immensely difficult. "My Lord, you are not known to flirt."

"I agree with your assessment of my character," he grinned.

"Well, then. W-Well, what I mean to say is," Lucille hesitated, flinching as she considered her next words, but dutifully plunged on. "This may seem premature or presumptuous, my Lord, but in case you were..." she winced and forced the words out. "I could not make you a respectable wife."

"Not respectable? You are not noble?" he queried. "Unless I have been misinformed, I was of the opinion you come from a rather impressive aristocratic line."

Lucille couldn't tell if she was more startled or flattered that he didn't deny marital intentions. "Yes, of course I am noble!" she snapped impatiently, irked that the man seemed intentionally obtuse whilst carrying a rather wicked glint in his eyes.

"Then, what?" he asked. "Lucille, do I strike you as an indecisive man?"

"No," she said resentfully.

For a moment they stared at each other, Alexander scrutinising Lucille's discomfort. Then he suddenly laughed. "Lucille, do you think I am a virgin?"

"My Lord!" Lucille gasped, with an anxious glance around.

"It is what you are going to great lengths to reveal diplomatically, is it not?" he chuckled. "I am not set upon marrying a nervous, untouched girl. Besides, more Lords than not have taken wives far less innocent than they claim to be."

"My Lord, please!" Lucille exclaimed, utterly scandalized.

Alexander considered her. "Whilst I will concede you are doing everything to dissuade my interest, I know you're drawn to me all the same."

"Well, you are a man of great power and rank!" Lucille spat, her eyes flashing angrily. "I, like the rest of this town, am in awe of you. That is all there is to it."

Alexander laughed loudly. "I refer to the fact that whenever I look into your eyes, I see an invitation to kiss you."

Lucille choked but quickly recovered. "That is purely the imagination of your ego."

Alexander arched an eyebrow and kept a cynical silence.

"Well, now that you have enlightened yourself at my expense," Lucille stiffly managed. "I wish to return to the party."

With her nose in the air, she began to walk away, only to find herself firmly hauled back.

"I did not reach my current position by misjudgements," Alexander murmured, bending so his mouth could reach her ear.

Feeling suddenly giddy by the thrill of his warm lips brushing her earlobe, Lucille bit back a heated gasp.

"I have never met a woman like you, Lucille." Alexander straightened to peer down at her flushed, indignant face. "You would not believe how incredibly rude I was to the Governor because I feared you would leave the party had I taken much longer."

"Another egotistical presumption, my Lord!" Lucille breathed, though he was absolutely correct. "A-And might I reiterate, I am trying to explain to you that-"

"The fact you are warning me off for that very reason, with a foolish honesty that places your own reputation at risk in order to spare mine, convinces me that you are in fact, admirably moral," he smiled, gently releasing her. "I want no more warnings. They do not concern me. I am man enough to cope with your self-perceived failings."

Lucille had a sudden desire to scream with frustration. "Lord Dacre, you do not understand!" she said heatedly.

Alexander had a rather intent fascination with her mouth, his heart steadily racing the longer he stared. The urge to pursue Lucille almost from their first meeting baffled him. Her presence made him strangely happy, and he was not going to retreat from that feeling.

"The sooner you understand that I don't care to court a simpering maiden, the easier this will be for both of us," he warned.

"My Lord," Lucille tried again, alarmed by this very forward disclosure. "I...did I not mention I... I'm afraid I am engaged."

Alexander threw back his head and laughed. "I despise ambiguous chatter, but I have enjoyed this tête-à-tête." Taking her hand, he kissed it, his eyes warmly lingering on her face. "I want to kiss you, Lucille. Expect to cross paths with me soon, my Lady."

With a last smile bordering on tender, he winked at her, then returned to the party.

Angered that she was flustered and panting, Lucille felt for her handkerchief to dap at her perspiring brow, furious that she failed to make her point.

***

Another hour slowly passed, while Lucille worked hard to prove that she wouldn't abandon the party because of Alexander. Just as she felt relieved that he was finished tormenting her for the day, she was unexpectedly intercepted on the way to the piano room.

"Lucille, I want you to visit me in Therondia," he murmured without greeting, raising her hand to his lips. "I would present you to the King as my guest."

"The King!" Lucille spluttered. "Lord Dacre, I cannot." Trying to withdraw her hand and failing, she glanced around, eager to distance herself before others noticed their intimacy. "But I thank you for the honour of your invitation-"

"How many times must I insist you call me by my first name?" Alexander softly demanded, his lips still brushing the skin of her hand, his warm breath sending pleasurable shivers up her arm.

Lucille finally managed to free herself. "Alexander, I'm afraid that..."

"Your servants would accompany you, and have their own quarters," he continued. "There will be no marital obligation for being under my roof, if that is what you fear."

"If I should not fear the obligation, why are you insisting I stay with you?" she asked suspiciously.

Alexander's brow thoughtfully contracted, then he smiled. "I have duties in Therondia and I cannot linger here forever. I need to know I will see you again."

"Very well," Lucille said guardedly. "I will visit you when I have the time."

"If you think to stay me with verbal promises, I am perfectly capable of returning," Alexander smirked, seeing through her scheme. "And if you find my interest too transparent now, imagine how mortified you might be when I kiss you without ceremony and not care if the Governor is watching."

Lucille's jaw dropped. "You wouldn't dare!"

"Push me far enough, and I will," Alexander said silkily, his dark eyes determined. "None would intervene on your behalf. After such a public display of affection, you would have to marry me to avoid scandal."

Before Lucille could think of anything to say, Alexander politely kissed her hand, her fingertips, and casually wandered off.

Gently touching her glowing cheeks, Lucille kept her head down and searched for a drink to calm her nerves. The light-bodied red wine was a welcome reprieve, the delicate floral scent and subsequent berry flavour relaxing.

Lucille mulled over her circumstances, reminding herself she was still young, rich and of a good family. A small voice in her mind began to question her defeatist attitude, the belief that her choices were over and there was nothing to be done about it but endure.

Lucille began to wonder why she shouldn't try to extricate herself from a terrible bargain. Whether it was possible to go to Therondia and lose herself with Alexander Dacre, leave her old life behind with all its burdens. What it would feel like to kiss him, and have the passion reciprocated.

Lifting her eyes, Lucille's face froze when her gaze clashed with Stephan's.

There was often a Guard presence at noble gatherings, observing proceedings without partaking in the festivities. In the imposing black uniform, Stephan stood against the wall, watching her. His demeanour was generally austere, with none of the warmth when he lay with her in bed. Currently his expression was even more grim than the norm.

Suddenly frightened, Lucille turned away, smiling at an acquaintance, her mind running riot. Whatever her arrangement with Stephan, he was displeased, and Lucille had a very good indication as to why. The unpleasant feeling served as another prompt that she needed to free herself from the affair.

Alexander caught her eye a few times, even across a room she could feel his gaze. But if he seemed inclined to approach her, she moved away, and he good-naturedly humoured her wishes.

Lucille finally sought out her hosts to explain she was too fatigued to remain for the next course. The wait for her carriage was slow agony, but she stood calmly until it drew up alongside.

"Allow me."

The porter handing Lucille to her carriage was brushed aside and she inhaled sharply, staring up into Stephan's burning green eyes.

Recovering, she accepted his hand and delicately stepped into her ride.

Stephan's grip tightened, holding longer than necessary before releasing.

"Safe travels, my lady," he politely bowed, his face particularly severe.

"T-Thank you, Sir," she managed, feeling safer there was a flimsy door between them.

Stephan gave a sharp word to her driver, and the carriage lurched forward, similarly to how her stomach felt when she noticed Stephan watching her at the party.

On the journey home Lucille went over the events in her mind. Alexander's ardency was overwhelming, but Stephan's scrutiny was more unsettling.

It didn't matter how she re-framed the situation to justify her position; Lucille had a distinct feeling of being in trouble. The prospect of facing Stephan again filled her with utmost dread.

***

Simon paused outside the girl's door, sensing her from the other side.

Aleksis had warily released him from the locked underground on several conditions that Simon had no intention of keeping. Though grateful for everything Aleksis would teach him, the introductory warnings didn't resonate. Some of the implications were offensive to him.

Simon politely knocked, waited until Alice had hurriedly settled, and stepped into the room, smiling at her surprise that he wasn't Aleksis.

"You must be Alice," he greeted her with a small bow. "I am Simon."

Alice stared at him, noting the similarity to Aleksis. There was no visual likeness, but their mannerisms, fluidity of movement and general watchfulness was the same.

"I'm new here, like you," Simon told a half-truth. "I've wanted to meet you, but Aleksis isn't fond of the idea. Will you tell him?"

"I don't know, m'Lord," Alice timidly answered, unsure who to fear more. Aleksis was very intimidating, but Simon also had an air of danger about him. The men from the forest seemed perfectly friendly from a distance.

"W-Why isn't he fond of the idea?" she added nervously, looking Simon over. The boy was a strong lad, strangely wholesome looking. His demeanour wasn't threatening but the idea of attacking him seemed foolhardy on an instinctive level.

"He thinks I'm dangerous," Simon shortly replied, a glimmer of irritability crossing his face. "I disagree."

"Why...why have you come to see me, m'Lord?" Alice asked.

Simon shrugged; his unblinking golden eyes fixed on her. "My social life is extremely limited. May I bear you company?"

Alice shifted and winced, remembering the personal nature of her wounds that required frequent dressing. She also wasn't eager to disobey the intimidatingly handsome Lord who brought her supplies.

"m'Lord...I..."

"That title is well above my station, even in this setting," Simon smiled, coming to sit by the bed as Alice warily curled up into the blankets. "Just call me 'Simon'."

***

Lucille frowned at the very large assortment of vibrant carnations waiting in her dining hall.

"They arrived anonymously," a manservant explained when she queried it. "But there is a card."

Lucille briskly detached the small envelope from the side of the vase and ripped it open. She exhaled slowly when she saw Dacre's signature. The attention was displeasing, but she was relieved the gesture was not from Stephan.

"My lady?"

Lucille started. "Yes?"

"Lord Bard has requested to see you."

Lucille pocketed the note in her crimson-lace gown and nodded. "You may show him in."

A moment later Edmund strode into the hall and bowed. "I hope I find you well, Lucille." His tone suggested it was unlikely.

"Have a seat, Edmund," Lucille smiled. She dismissed the waiting servants and joined Edmund at one end of the long dining table.

Edmund's eyes were sharp on her face. "How are you?"

Lucille shrugged, her eyes moving to the flowers. "Preoccupied."

Edmund's brow contracted at the bouquet. "I've come to ask your permission to disclose your predicament to another."