The Warning Nobody Heard

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We haven't seen or heard of any other people since that first group, but I think that's going to change. Ronnie is seventeen now, and he confided to me the other day that he wants to go looking for a wife. He asked me not to tell Morning Star because he doesn't want her to worry. He's been looking at the atlas Morning Star brought with her, and wanted to know where I thought other people might have survived.

I told him there had been some people before who called themselves "survivalists" and lived in remote parts of the country, but I wasn't sure there were any close by. The only one I knew about was the guy on his short wave radio, and he lived in Texas, and I told Ronnie that was at least a thousand miles from our house.

Ronnie just grinned.

"That'd be a long walk, but I could do it easy. Mom did."

I'm usually a little envious of Ronnie's optimistic spirit, but now, it has me worried.

I understand what Ronnie wants to do and why, but I'm not sure I'm ready to let him go off on his own. I know he's capable. He shoots a bow as good as his mother, has learned everything we taught him about hunting and fishing and finding food and building things. He's healthy and strong. He made his own bow and arrows. What he lacks is maturity...or maybe it's just that I don't want to admit he's mature beyond his years. It seems like yesterday he was playing with the goats and teasing his sisters. Last fall, he stayed in the woods for three days by himself, killed two deer and then brought the dressed carcasses back on a sled he made from branches lashed together with vines. Kids grow up way too fast.

He told me he was thinking of starting next spring, and that when he found a woman who'd come with him, he'd bring her back home. I know there's no use in trying to talk him out of going. He's as stubborn as his mother once he's made up his mind. I guess I'll have to wish him well and hope for the best. Maybe he'll have a story to tell when he gets back with his wife.