The Way Back Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Two events were relayed to me by Colin, and I did one thing that my daughter thought was really stupid.

On Wednesday, Colin rang in the evening to tell me the car had been found. It was being driven by a lad with no insurance, and as such had been confiscated. Normally it would be crushed, but some observant copper had noted the registration number and forensic took over. Keith was away somewhere so the 'four' did not meet.

Also on Wednesday I was told by Viv that it was my wedding anniversary on Friday, so I hit on the idea of sending Ann a card. It did not say "Happy Anniversary"! It said "On Your Anniversary" and the inside was blank. I summoned up all my strength, writing was a painful exercise for me -- and wrote:

On the anniversary of our marriage Thank you for so many happy years I wish you happiness with your new partner Please reconsider seeing me I have an explanation for my disappearance you do not know the true story.

Allan.

On Thursday, Colin rang to say that Derek's accounts had been taken and were being examined. He hastened to say that Derek thought the police were acting for the Inland Revenue and they did not enlighten him.

Friday the DNA results for Greta came through. I had sent mine to the same company by post, and the report asserted in their legalistic way that Greta was indeed my daughter.

Jenny and I were taking an evening flight to Hamburg, and Greta caught me on the phone as I was awaiting the taxi.

"Hey, Dad," she bubbled. "Nice one!"

"Pardon?"

"The card!" she almost shouted. "Mum went ballistic! She ranted on to Derek about knowing all there was to know about your infidelity, and would see to it you suffered for 'this campaign' as she put it.

"Derek pointed out that the writing did not look like yours, and that stopped her for a minute. She put it down to 'another of your tricks' to arouse her curiosity. Well, she said, it was not going to work. Dad she's even more resolved not to see you or talk to you now."

"Oh." I must have sounded disappointed for her reaction was one of total surprise.

"Good God Dad," she said quite seriously, "surely you didn't think sending a card would help did you? I thought you were pushing her buttons! You are thick sometimes Dad!"

"I think I must be," I replied.

The trip was not a success apart from very pleasant Sunday seeing Hamburg and sampling the food stalls along the waterside -- that, and making love with Jenny each night, and a 'quickie' on Monday morning. She had surprised me telling me she had started on the Pill, and had been fitted with a Cap until she was safe, which allowed us more freedom and spontaneity.

The bottom line was that ours was a superior product, but they didn't want us to sub-contract and the time delay was too long. The penalty of success; my company had too much work on. We needed to expand and I resolved to discuss this with Geoff when we returned. Jenny was depressed and I was morose on Monday night. We hugged briefly and went to sleep.

No sooner was I back in the office on Tuesday after a bumpy flight back than I got a call from David.

"You know the court hearing is Thursday?" he began without preamble. I had in fact forgotten.

"I thought you were handling that," I said rather tersely.

"Bad trip?" he divined.

"Couldn't have been worse."

"Anyway," he moved on swiftly, "it may come to it that you have to prove who you are and to do that you'll need to be present. Just in case, you understand."

"Right," I replied. "That raises two points. First, I've phoned and written to Ann and she has utterly refused to see me. I'm not happy, and I have no intention of meeting her without her agreement. She's insisting everything is done through you and her solicitor. I want you to ask her for a meeting on my behalf, preferably before the court date.

"Second, OK, I will be in court, but as a spectator unless absolutely necessary. I don't want to meet her under those circumstances if I can avoid it."

"OK," he replied in a resigned tone. "I'll talk to her."

"No mention of my attack though, David. She has to meet me still believing I've left her. I want the pleasure of seeing her face when she realises the truth. Oh, and under no circumstances is Derek to be there when we do meet."

"Understood."

It appeared that he tried. He was back to me in less than an hour.

"Sorry, old son," he sympathised, "your ex. is feeling vindictive and vengeful. I don't know what you put in your letter but, let's put it delicately, she didn't like it. I tried everything, I said she'd get a better deal from you if she saw you. No she'd let the court decide. I put it to her that she would probably get less than she gets at the moment. She didn't care. I tried that you had information that would change her mind about you. Not interested."

"OK. Let's do the court thing and then try her again. If what you say is true and she gets off badly, she may be more amenable to a bit of generosity from me."

"I think that would stick in her throat, but Derek might convince her, after all, he's the one needing as much cash as possible."

"We'll see."

Geoff and I spent all day Wednesday discussing the need to expand further. We decided it was necessary and would need our own cash; the banks weren't interested. I phoned David and told him of the plans and he noted down the relevant figures. He complained that it was short notice but needed to be put before the judge for the next day's hearing.

I acquainted him with the reasons, primarily the failure of our trip to Germany, which he seemed to think might sway the judge. We said 'au revoir' until the next day. He also said he had put before the judge the police interest in Ann's partner, asking for a delay in the hearing. This was denied.

------

TWENTY-FOUR

So the next day I was there in court. My ex-wife was obviously intent on paying her absent ex-husband back in some way for his desertion and for causing her so much suffering. I assumed she also wanted to help the man she felt had stood by her, though not enough to forgo her revenge. I could put an end to it all but I wasn't going to. I had Colin to consider.

We were there early and I was seated at the back of the visitors' seats. Derek, Ann, his solicitor and their barrister arrived. The couple noticed my presence and It was clear they were trying to work out why I was there. I smiled my lop-sided smile at Ann but she did not return it. I felt a frisson of annoyance. I had never insulted her; I had been courteous to her, and she was cutting me. It strengthened my resolve to reveal myself to her in my own way, and in my own time.

There were a number of legal statements and procedures. There followed arguments from the barristers on each side, most of which I couldn't follow. The assets of each party were already before the judge, and had to be outlined and argued for by them.

Ann's barrister began since Ann was the plaintiff. I gathered that what Ann wanted was over half my savings, and the current amount I was paying to her and the children every month. I owned about six million pounds in various portfolios. She wanted four, three for her since she had supported me for twenty years and one million for the children to be placed in trust for them.

What I did understand clearly, and it put me on edge, was the next submission. The barrister, a woman with a crisp and quiet delivery, argued that Ann should have a half share in my ownership of the company. This would amount to forty per cent of the profits. Since it was a limited company she would have a vote on the company's policies.

'My' barrister simply checked the assets with the judge and only added that the company needed my money to expand. It would mean more people employed, and ultimately more profit for Ann if she had a share in the company though some of my millions would be needed for the expansion. He reminded him of my past history of reinvestment.

There followed a recess for two hours. David, the barrister and I went for a pint. The barrister said that the judge was likely, on past showing, to be favourable to our case. He thought we would come out of it well.

He was right.

It took some time for the judge to deliver the judgement, but I was able to follow most of it.

He noted that the house was already sold and all the proceeds given to Ann; that this was more than generous. Since I had bought the house, I had effectively given her the proceeds for my half of the house and had bought her out. This brought about some consternation in Ann's camp. She was angry, and Derek was confused. Until that moment Ann had not realised that I had 'bought' the house.

He then stated that Ann was now in a new relationship and had a large income of her own from her work. He therefore made no order for me to pay her any maintenance, but assessed my contribution to the children's maintenance at about a third of what I was paying her for them. He noted also that I had been paying well over the odds for the past two and a half years. He reminded her that should the children decide to live with me at any stage, the maintenance paid to her would cease, but would then be recoverable from her.

She was entitled to a share in the business. I should transfer 30% of my share to her. I knew that as a limited company she could only sell the shares to me or to Geoff. She would get dividends, but could not realise the assets. She would get a 24% of the shares; I would have 56% and Geoff 20%.

Since her share of the dividends would only increase if the company grew, he said he would allow me to invest my assets to expand the firm before dividing the remainder 50-50 with her.

There was consternation in Ann's camp. Well, I thought, David did warn her.

But the judge had not finished.

"It appears," said the judge, "that there are police investigations concerning Mr Jonsson. I therefore direct that while Mr Jonsson must pay maintenance for the children effective immediately, the rest of the judgement will be held in abeyance until those matters are resolved. I accordingly adjourn these proceedings sine die."

So Ann and Derek were to get nothing until the trial of those who attacked me was concluded. There was a good deal of angry discussion between Ann and Derek and their lawyers.

I cannot deny I felt a deep sense of satisfaction at the outcome. No, I was elated. Now perhaps she would agree to see me.

I think it took a lot of self-control on David's part not to rush over and congratulate me, but he resisted the temptation and kept it until we met in the pub afterwards.

"I can't believe the judge did that!" enthused David.

The barrister looked smug, "I told you he would give us a good deal," he said. "Judges have more or less infinite discretion when they adjudicate ancillary relief. Our man is scrupulously fair. I think he saw an element of greed in your ex-wife's petition. I won't say he punished her deliberately, but it's certainly turned out that way."

That evening I was at home recovering from another bout of physio when Greta rang.

"Dad, things are very quiet at home. I've got out for a while. They are going round in circles talking about the court case this morning. Derek is trying not to tell Mum 'I told you so', but that's what he's thinking. Mum looks really sad. Is it right they've lost the case?"

"Well, Chicken, it's not really winning and losing; they just didn't get what they wanted."

"Listen Dad. Mum and Derek were talking about the case, and they were talking about you being back. Derek thinks you're an impostor and the police are going to get you and Mr Lombard for fraud, but Mum isn't so sure. The problem is the boys heard them. They're wondering why you haven't seen them. They're upset Dad."

She paused.

"Can I bring them over?"

"Yes, you'd better. Tomorrow?"

"I'll bring them after tea."

"Greta, you need to prepare them for what I look like. Do it on the way, not at home, and get them to promise to keep quiet about the visit. Things are getting close to a conclusion here. I'll tell you everything I know the next time you come alone."

"Ok Dad." She sounded upbeat. "See you tomorrow."

I was intrigued by Derek's interpretation of the judge's remarks. He obviously believed me to be dead and gone. Boy was he in for a surprise! Still, it kept his attention from the fact that the police were looking at him. However it had been dawning on me that Greta deserved to know as much as I did. I hoped she would be able to cope with the knowledge.

The next day was Friday and Jenny was due to come for the weekend, but when she heard the boys were coming over, she volunteered to stay at home and wait until they had gone home before arriving.

"They'll have enough on their plate dealing with the new you," she said, laughing, "without coping with your girlfriend, and come to think of it, Greta would need to get used to you having two girlfriends! Though come to think about it again, I reckon she'd be impressed!"

I told her I doubted that but thanked her for her thoughtfulness.

I visited the gym on the way home. I know I go on about physio and the gym, but it was essential to my general improvement. My body was hardening and muscles and tendons were tightening. It was hard work and dominated my life at the time. Personally I think it was also responsible for my improving mental acuity, and my memory.

I had finished showering, and had made some of Jan's favourite biscuits (cookies) when the doorbell rang. When I opened the door I knew them. They were so much older and taller than I expected. Jan looked at me and his lip trembled. Stefan grabbed Greta's hand and looked fearful. It seemed a long time we all stood there on the doorstep but it was probably only a few seconds.

"Come in boys," I said, standing back and allowing Greta to lead the boys to the living room. They had different ideas. They were off running and up the stairs to their rooms. We could hear their exclamations as they found things they had left behind, and their posters still on the walls. Greta looked exasperated.

"They're boys Greta," I chided her, "Give them time."

They clattered down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Biscuits Stef!" cried Jan. "Dad's made biscuits!"

We followed them into the room. Jan fell upon them and Stefan was close behind. Greta and I smiled at each other. The ice was broken. They were at home.

"Sit down, lads," I said, and they sat down where they were at the table. They were not going to leave the plate of biscuits! I took the chair opposite them and Greta sat next to me after giving them each a glass of milk from the fridge.

"I remember these biscuits, Dad," said Stefan shyly.

I smiled and Jan choked on his milk. I raised an eyebrow, or rather I raised what used to be an eyebrow. The effect must have been even more comical for both boys collapsed with laughter. Greta bristled, and I laid my hand on hers.

"Dad, you look so funny when you smile," Jan was still laughing. "Sort of lop-sided!"

"I'm glad you find me amusing." I smiled.

"Did it hurt when the men hit you?" asked Stefan, gaining confidence.

"Sorry, Stefan," I replied. "I can't remember anything about being attacked."

"Greta said you were in a coma for nearly a year," added Jan.

So the talking went on about my recovery, and the boys were thoroughly relaxed. They almost looked proud of their battered Dad, but eventually the hard questions started.

"Now you're back Dad," began Stefan, "are you coming back to Mum soon?"

"Stefan it's not as easy as that," I told him. "Mum is with someone else now. We are divorced and she is marrying him next week. So I don't think it's likely, do you?"

"But when she sees you she'll be so sorry and she'll call off the wedding and then you'll both be able to marry." His logic was impeccable for a ten year old.

"I wish it were so easy, Chicken," I replied, trying my hardest to find a way to let him down gently. "It's been two years and she loves Derek now."

"But he's so boring!" exploded Jan, who had been getting more and more frustrated with my answers. "You've no idea Dad. He never does anything with us. He just stares at Mum all the time. Makes me sick!" He made a retching noise and the other two laughed.

"It's true Dad," said Greta. "I'm sure Mum isn't totally happy. I think she's marrying him because he's the best she can find. She doesn't sing as she goes round the house like she used to."

"And you and Mum used to laugh a lot," Stefan added.

"And you used to tickle each other, and you were always joking. Honestly it's so dull!" said Jan.

It saddened me to hear that. The picture of a dull humourless family hurt. I did remember our play fights, and the games in the garden.

"And," added Greta, "He never does a tap round the house. You used to cook and bake, and clean and iron stuff. You shared the jobs with Mum. He comes in and flakes in an armchair. Mum has to do everything, and go out to work. I help though."

"Dad?" Jan said before I could comment.

"Yes Jan?"

"If Mum marries Fanny--"

"Fanny?"

"It's what we call him," grinned Stefan. Greta gave an embarrassed smile as well.

"Go on Jan," I said, not wanting to comment.

"If she marries him I want to come and live with you."

There, it was out.

"So do I!" echoed Stefan. "Can we?"

Once again I was caught.

I was still thinking of a suitable reply when Greta added something worrying.

"I'd like to join you too Dad," and then under her breath, "I don't like how he looks at me."

I pretended not to hear the latter though it frightened me. At some stage I would have to follow that up.

"Kids," I said, "as far as I am concerned, you can come and live here and welcome, but don't you think that's rather hard on Mum? She loves you, you know; and we would have to get the arrangements changed. Mum has custody of you three, and I only have access rights. That would have to be reversed, and Mum probably won't agree."

There was a sullen silence.

"Sorry," I added. "I didn't make the rules."

"Please Dad," said Greta. "Please talk to Mum. She's going to marry him next week. I'm sure she would change her mind if she could talk to you. That marriage is all wrong."

Silently I agreed. When she knew the rest, she would know exactly how wrong it was, but now was not the time.

It was time, however, to talk tactics with my children. I explained to the boys that there were things afoot that their mother shouldn't know about and I couldn't risk them blurting out. They would know fairly soon. I explained that I had tried to see her but she had refused.

"She is very angry with me," I told them, "because of what she thinks I've done, but I can't tell her the whole story because it would ruin some investigations the police are doing. I'll make one more attempt and after that I'll have to surprise her, once I know what the police are going to do."

"Derek thought the police were investigating Uncle David," said Jan.

"Well, they aren't," I replied, "but I really can't tell you any more."

"Can we tell her we've seen you?" asked Greta. "She may want to see you if she thinks you're going to take us away from her."

I had not thought of that. There was a risk they'd say too much. If Derek knew that I was badly injured he'd be alerted, and he in turn may well alert the thugs who attacked me.

I decided to risk it.

"OK," I said, "you can tell her we've met, but there have to be rules. Lads, these rules are incredibly important. One slip and you could ruin everything. Don't let me down."

"We won't Dad," they asserted. I hoped they could honour that promise.

"Rule One," I said. "No mention of what I look like. I am well and fit; that's all she needs to know. She knows where I live. She must not know about my injuries. D'you understand?"