The Way of War Pt. 06

Story Info
Sequel to The Tides of War.
6.3k words
4.81
11.4k
2

Part 6 of the 20 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/02/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers

Chapter 18

The five Officers came to attention in front of Captain Silverman's desk.

"Please be at ease gentlemen and grab your selves a chair." He waited until they were all seated before continuing. "I called you all here to hear my views regarding Z Patrol. It is my opinion, and I stress only my opinion unfortunately, that we have not heard the last of General Rommel. I've made a study of the man, I've read everything he has ever written. He is without doubt the most able of Hitler's Generals. Which leads me to believe that at some point in the near future, he will attack. But this time he won't stop at the frontier of Egypt but press on to Suez itself.

He glanced at each man, "I believe he is allowing the Allied forces to extend themselves until our supply lines are dangerously extended. Now this is all I admit superstition, but if I am right then Z patrol will be needed."

He allowed his comments to sink in before continuing. "Our American friends have produced a small, rugged, four wheel drive truck. It's called the Willy's Jeep, and I'm assured it can travel at 65 miles an hour and cross heavy terrain." He reached on to his desk and produced several photographs which he distributed to the men in front of him. Whilst they studied the photographs he continued.

"Whist I know these would not have the range or carrying capacity of your Chevrolet 30cwt trucks, they could be useful due to their small size and nimbleness. They could be supplied by the Chive's in regard to fuel, and used for attack purposes. They could mount a .50 calibre machine gun in the rear and Vickers K in the passenger seat." He smiled, "Of course we have to get them first and find out how good they are. But they are sending six out for us to evaluate along with six Browning .50 calibre machine guns, spares and ammunition."

"Now what I propose is that in the interim period that we start reconnaissance of the area in which we are likely to be engaged in. I assume that if Rommel does attack, we should be able to hold him at El Alamain due to the Qattara Depression guarding our flank. The area in front of that will be our battle ground, also we should adopt Captain Ramage's tactic of moving west after an attack and hole up. I've given this some thought, it's not likely that there are going to be handy caves to hole up in. Most of the terrain is somewhat flat and featureless. Which brings me to the Teraquas." He saw the puzzled look on their faces and chuckled.

"The Teraquas are a nomadic tribe closely related to the Turag's of Algiers. They have a reputation of violence and most other Bedouin tribes steer well clear of them, even we and the Germans treat them with caution. Their camps are easily recognisable by the large black tents they use. A tent that could easily hide a 30cwt truck and jeep." He saw the light of understanding coming to their faces.

Ted spoke up, "Yes, the tents are a good idea but surly they would have animals, camels and the like, a plane would notice their absence."

Silverman smiled, "Quite right Major, There is a unit that fabricates tanks, aircraft and trucks that are made from a rubber material and blown up by air. Currently they are experimenting with camels, horses and goats."

"My mouth is dry from all this talking, shall we all have a drink and discuss what has been said so far?"

He moved to the cabinet and began to pour out drinks.

"What targets would the Z patrol be interested in?" Shaun asked.

"Fuel supplies, trucks, and their radio monitoring units initially," Silverman murmured. "Fuel, because they need it for their mechanised units, trucks because they transport supplies and their radio monitoring equipment because I'm afraid our radio procedure is deplorable. We have intercepted messages of Officers transmitting in clear English. But the targets may change as circumstances dictate."

"So most of the action will take place on the coast road?" Bobby murmured.

Silverman nodded, "Hence the need for reconnaissance. At the moment you can search out likely ambush sites without fear of discovery. That will be up to you, I imagine you will want to keep your base some distance from the proposed ambush points."

"If they use their normal procedure of sending their fuel tankers at dusk, to avoid the RAF that will work in our favour. We can attack and return to base under the cover of darkness." Shaun said.

They spent a further hour discussing various points. At the end of which Silverman produced a booklet and handed it to Ted. "All radio traffic between us will be carried out in code. The booklet explains how. You will need to instruct your radio operators in the procedure when you return to the Oasis."

The meeting broke up and the men filed out.

They were subdued on their drive back to the hotel, mulling over what Captain Silverman had said and the enormity of the task ahead.

Over dinner that night they discussed the problem of finding favourable ambush points. "I think we should start looking as far forward as our troops have reached. My thinking is, if as what Silverman says regarding Rommel is right, then it makes sense to explore the forward areas whilst we have the chance," Shaun murmured.

He looked around the table seeing them all nod.

"We'll start sending out patrols when we get back," Ted replied, "they will only need a driver and navigator to go with you."

"At the same time we can look out for suitable base positions," Bobby added.

Chapter 19

When they returned to the Oasis Ted informed the men of the impending patrols, knowing they would start preparing the trucks.

The four Officers joined him in the operations tent and went over the large scale map. Based on the current position of the forward troops, they began to subdivide likely positions to reconnoitre. Each being given a section of road.

Three days later they set off.

Tim and Bill's trucks dropped out to cover the stretch between Mersa Matruh and Sidi Barrani. Bobby and Shaun carried on until Bobby dropped out to cover Buq Buq and Sidi Barrani. Shaun had selected the stretch between Buq Buq and Sollum.

In between this distance was the Halfaya Pass were the Germans had inflicted a terrible price on the British tanks, the area was littered with their burnt out remains.

The road climbed steeply upwards to reach the top of the escarpment. A natural choke point Shaun realised, no wonder the men who fought here had called it Hellfire Pass. The Allies had bypassed it leaving the German and Italian defenders isolated.

Shaun told Titch to turn round and head back to Buq Buq, "Not much point in going any further until Halfaya is taken. We'll see if Bobby has come up with anything."

They found Bobby's truck pulled off the road, the men making a brew. With cries of "Good on yer mate," Titch and Prof dug out their mugs.

Bobby's driver handed Shaun a mug of tea, which he thanked him for.

He explained about Halfaya still being held by the enemy, adding, "What about you, found anything?"

Bobby shook his head, "This is a flat coastal plain, a few sand mounds, but the main problem is the escarpment, it's nearly 200 feet straight up. If we attack here we would be bottled up by the escarpment with nowhere to retreat." We've driven along it to see if there's any natural path up it. But nothing that could take a truck."

"Okay Bobby, we'll go and see if Tim or Bill as found anything."

As it was getting late they decided to camp there for the night.

The next morning they slipped in behind a convoy making its way back to Alex or Cairo, as trucks going to the front passed in the other lane. It must be a logistical nightmare trying to keep Crusader supplied, Shaun thought. He wiped the sand goggles with the Shernaghs scarf tied across his face, the dust from the convoy and exhaust fumes making it uncomfortable.

After four hours the convoy slowed has it started to climb up from the coastal plain, zigzagging round the bends that took the road up to the plateau. At the top Shaun pulled off the road and Bobby joined him.

"This would make a good ambush point," he said to Bobby. Bobby nodded agreeing.

They consulted the maps, "If we head due South after an attack, there's the outcrop we could hole up in." He referred to the Hills that rose over 500 feet from the desert plain. "It's about 200 miles from the attack point, but well away from any of the camel routes."

Prof checked the sun compass, then made a note off the milometer before giving Titch the heading to follow with the tank compass. They made good time, the terrain was mainly flat with sparse vegetation here and there. They crossed the railway line and headed further south. After four hours they could see the hills in the distance shrouded by a heat haze.

"There's truck tracks boss, Tim and Bill must be there." Titch shouted above the roar of the engine.

"If you can make them out, follow them," Shaun replied.

After another hour of travel, they pulled up behind the trucks of Tim and Bill, tucked up between two buttresses of a rock formation.

Bill met them with a smile, "I see great minds think alike. We are just making a brew up, care to join us?"

The men climbed down stiffly from the trucks, glad to be free from the constant jarring of the trucks passage over the desert.

"We arrived yesterday," Bill said "we scouted all along our patch, but the only good spot we found was where the road climbs up from the coastal plain."

Shaun nodded, "We did the same, and you're right about the spot. Bobby had no luck, the escarpment ruled that out. And Halfaya is still in enemy hands."

Prof came over to them, "Its 178 miles from the top of the rift Boss to here."

"If we attack there, we would have to cover that distance at night, to get here." Shaun explained. He let that sink in with the three Officers before continuing. "It's doable, but it would be close to dawn by the time we arrive. My only concern is, we spotted your tracks, so it follows that the enemy could also."

They discussed the problem as they ate sausage sandwiches washed down with tea.

They stayed overnight and set off back to the Oasis the next morning. It took two days to return.

The news that greeted them was Tobruk had been relieved. The weary Australian garrison had been shipped back to Cairo and South Africans had taken over the garrison duties.

After taking a shower and changing the cloths he had worn over the last eight days Shaun reported to Ted.

After explaining what they had discovered. Shaun sat back in his chair as Ted told him of development at the Oasis. "Captain Silverman has informed me that the American trucks have arrived. We need to send six drivers to Cairo to collect them, and the 50 calibre machine guns and ammunition. They'll leave tomorrow in the three tonner. Oh, and you have some mail to collect, it's in the post tent.

He carried the two large biscuit tins and two letters back to his tent. The letters were from Sharon, it seemed she knew he had been out on patrol. She was busy at work, it seemed that a leak had occurred giving vital information to the Axis forces and her department were trying to find the source. She missed him and thought of him often. Ending by saying she loved him.

The biscuit tins were from Aunt Vicky. Inside were tins of fruit, butter, cheese, condensed milk, sugar and coffee. She had managed to pack 600 Gold Leaf cigarettes in there boxes of 25, also a bottle of Dimple Haig malt whiskey. He read the letter that was in one of them. Everything was fine at the Crater, the beef prices had risen and they were shipping 50 head a month to Mombasa. Sultar and Yasmin sent there love. They had, had problems with poachers crossing the river after elephant tusks. N'debi son was now working at the game reserve as a guide. Aunt Jill and Uncle Martin were fit and well and sent their love, with the advice to keep his head down. She ended by saying for him to take care and be safe. He lay back on his cot feeling slightly homesick, and drifted off to sleep.

Chapter 20

The American trucks arrived three days later, four driven by the drivers of the patrols. Titch was over the moon about them. "They are brilliant Boss," he enthused, "we were doing 50mph on the road back without any effort, and the four wheel drive climbed sand dunes with no problem at all."

Shaun looked at the little trucks, painted in American olive green, it could seat four. The windscreen would have to go he realised, the glass could reflect light. The patrol gathered around it whilst Titch recounted its capabilities. "Well the first thing is to paint it," Shaun murmured.

"I'll have to see about fixing a mount for the 50 and the Vickers K," Jack added."

"They are in the back of the three tonner along with four, three-inch mortars and their shells." Titch chimed in.

For three days the men worked on the Jeeps, as they were now called. At the end of which, they bore little resemblance to the vehicles that had first arrived. They had been painted a sand colour and the windscreens were removed. Just behind the driver and passenger seats were mounts that supported the 50 calibre machine gun, whilst mounts were placed in front of the passenger seats of each machine that held the twin Vickers Ks. Brackets had been made to house two Jerry cans at the back of them and straps were placed over the bonnets to hold their bedrolls and camouflage nets. Provisions had been made for placing the P8 tank compasses in front of the driver seats. The sand mats were rolled up and strapped to the sides. Tire pressure was reduced to give better grip in the sand. The final modification was the adding of a water condensers at the front, near the radiators.

Titch approached Shaun one morning, "Boss, I've been thinking about leaving track marks that could be seen. If we rigged up something like mud flaps at the back of the rear wheels that drag they may obscure the tracks. Of cause they'll produce a lot of dust but if we are using them at night it won't matter." Shaun gave his permission for him to work on his idea.

Two days later he saw the results of Titch's invention. The mud guards were built from a sand matt, a piece of metal rod was attached to the base. When not in use it could be clipped up under the Jeep. When released it dragged along the ground obscuring the tire tracks. Others were made and fitted to the other three jeeps.

Over the next two weeks, the patrols went out creating caches of petrol, water, ammunition and provisions. They took the Jeeps out with them to see how they performed.

The trucks had all logged over 2000 miles during this period.

Ted informed them when they returned from the last patrol, "I think a week's leave is in order, don't you?" he asked the weary men. The smiles on their faces made the announcement worthwhile.

The leave meant they would celebrate Christmas in Cairo. Bobby booked the rooms at the Nile Palace again and Ted let them have the Ford.

From the Oasis to Cairo was only a four hour run.

The first thing Shaun did upon entering his room was to ring Sharon. He listened has she announced herself, "Hello, would you be interested in having dinner with a love-sick Kenyon?"

There was a gasp at the other end of the line, "Shaun, is that you? Where are you speaking from? And yes, I would love to have dinner with a love-sick Kenyon."

He quickly explained about the leave and where he was staying. They arranged to meet in the bar of the hotel at eight.

He selected a table in the corner of the bar away from the crowd, and ordered a vodka and tonic.

Chapter 21

She arrived at 7.55 PM, she was anxiously scanning around the room, and when she saw him, her face lit up with a beautiful smile as he made his way towards her.

She was carrying a small bag along with her handbag. He took if from her and led her by the arm back to the table.

He ordered her a drink and then sat back to look at her. She was wearing a white shirt blouse with a black skirt, her hair was brushed back, hanging behind her neck. She had applied a little makeup which made her look stunning.

Shaun smiled "Did you change at work?" He said indicating the bag on the floor.

She shook her head, "No, it's an overnight bag," she hesitated, "I thought I'd stay here tonight with you."

He looked at her seeing the sparkle in her eyes. "Are you sure about it?" he mumbled his mouth suddenly dry.

She reached across the table, taking his hand in hers, "Only if you want me too. Do you?"

He nodded not daring to use his voice.

He finally took control of his emotions, "Are you hungry?" he stammered.

She was looking deep into his eyes, "Yes, but not for food." She finished her drink then picked up his room key which was laying on the table. "I'll see you up there," she whispered, collecting her bags.

He lit a cigarette after she was gone drawing the smoke deep into his lungs. A shiver of excitement passed through his body.

The door wasn't locked, he dropped the catch and hung the 'do not disturb' sign on the handle before locking it. The room was in darkness but the curtains were not drawn and the moon light shone down upon the bed.

He quickly undressed, sliding in under the sheet. He could feel the heat of her body already. He lay on his side looking down on her. She had the sheet pulled up to her chin, her dark brown eyes sparkling in the moon light.

He lowered his head and gently kissed her, feeling the tip of her tongue on his lips. He extended his and they joined. Her arms came up around his neck pressing their lips together harder. The sheet had ridden down revealing her breasts. They were rounded and small with the nipples standing erect. He cupped one, his thumb rotating around the nipple. Sharon gave a low groan at his touch.

They began to explore each other's body with lips and fingers. When they joined it was with a need and urgency that overwhelmed both of them.

He awoke and stretched out, a smile appeared on his face as he remembered. He could hear her humming in the bathroom as he slipped into his shorts. Picking up the telephone, he phoned reception for tea and toast for two. He was putting the receiver down when she emerged from the bathroom wearing a thin cotton dressing gown.

"Good morning," she said brightly, coming over and kissing him. He held her, his hands feeling the firmness of her bottom. She looked into his eyes, "Did you sleep well?"

He muttered something as he kissed her neck. Sharon groaned as he slid the dressing gown from her shoulders and his lips fastened on to her nipple.

"Shaun, you ordered room service... they'll be here soon," she managed to murmur. He reluctantly lifted his head and nodded, moving into the bathroom for a shower.

When he emerged she was sat drinking tea at the table, a slice of toast was on her plate. She was sat with her legs crossed, the dressing gown had opened revealing her long, slim legs.

He had a towel wrapped around his waist has he approached her. "Shall I pour out your tea?" She asked, then saw the look in his eyes. "Oh, not ready for it yet," she said breathlessly has she stood.

He pulled the tie of the dressing gown, exposing her naked body as he took her into his arms. The dressing gown fluttered to the floor as his lips traversed her neck. He felt her hands pull at the towel, and that too fell to the floor. His hands were back on her bottom, pulling her against his body as she undulated against him. They moved to the bed and fell on to it.

***

He laid on his back, his heart pounding and sweat glistened on his forehead. Sharon looked down on him with an impish smile on her face, "Is my love starved Kenyon sated now?" she whispered.

He looked up and weakly nodded as she walked towards the bathroom. When he regained his breath he followed.

He watched her as they dressed, "You don't wear a bra?" he murmured.

RobinLane
RobinLane
337 Followers
12