The Way Things have Always Been

Story Info
Addy begins her vacation reconnecting with the boy next door.
11.1k words
4.31
22.3k
20
11
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
NWX217
NWX217
350 Followers

All characters are above 18

If you are looking for a raunchy sex story, sorry but this is not for you. The first few chapters won't have much or any sexual tones, but it will eventually turn into something more. The starting genre is Romance, but it will shift later in the story. This is really my first true attempt on a novel type story. Enjoy

1.

Addison "Addy" Wright sat in the window seat, looking at the clouds passing by. Addy and her family were on their way to Hawaii to celebrate Addy's 18th birthday that had occurred one week ago, and her graduation from High School, which had happened two weeks ago. At least that is what her parents told her was why they were taking the trip. She was suspicious because her family had been struggling financially for the last two years. Ever since her father lost his high ranking position at his business, they had struggled to make ends meet, even if Addy had to pitch in by getting a small part-time job.

It was around this time that her family almost seemed as though it was falling apart. Addy's brother Seth, who was seated next to her in the aisle seat, wanting to be able to flirt with the stewardesses, seemed to be the underlying factor of all the discontent in her home. She wasn't fully sure that the blame should have been on Seth, but ever since he graduated 2 years ago, combined with their father losing his job, things around the house had become testy. Seth would often yell at his parents about...something. Every time she would be within earshot, her parents and brother would stop yelling or noticeably change what they were arguing about. Addy really couldn't put her finger on it, but she was sure something else was going on, but every time she would ask, her parents or even Seth himself would tell her it was nothing she needed to worry about. Addy pushed the thoughts out of her head, as she did every time the thoughts of her family hiding something from her came up. She knew her family would never hide something big from her. As Seth and she had grown up, their parents would bring them into the family room, sit them down, and break any news big or small down to them, answering any questions the kids would have. This would include the news of their father losing his job or the announcement that they would be making this trip.

Addy was pulled from her thoughts as Seth stood up and seemingly switched seats with their mother, Evelyn. Eve, as she was called by her husband and friends, patted her daughter on the leg as she sat down. Her usual bright motherly smile came into view for Addy, which made her instinctively smile back at her. "How are you holding up dear?" Eve was referencing the fact that their six-hour journey from Los Angeles to Hawaii started bumpy with mild turbulence.

"I'm doing fine now, things have been smooth for a couple of hours," Addy replied.

"Then why is it that when I look over here I see a concerned look on your face?" Evelyn asked, picking up on things only mothers could.

"It's nothing mom," Addy started until her eyes met the gaze of her questioning mother. "I'm just wondering where the money for this trip came from? I know you guys have been struggling since dad lost his job. I feel like we are going to go bankrupt all for a trip that I didn't want or ask for." Addy explained. Eve looked at her daughter with another smile, but this time a smile of admiration.

"Honey, that is so very sweet of you to worry about the whole family like that, but it's unwarranted." Eve sighed, with some kind of resolve in her disappearing. "I guess there is no point in hiding it now, but honey this trip was an idea of the Hart's. They have been so generous in paying for all of this, plus they will be joining us there as well." Addy's first thought of this revelation was to the couple who had lived next door to her family since Addy was a little girl. Parker and Beth Hart had been friends to Addy's parents for a very long time, once being told they had been friends since elementary school or something like that. Her parents were very happy when Parker and Beth decided to move next door from Seattle.

"So are Parker and Beth the only ones joining us?" Addy tried to ask non-suspiciously, while looking around to see if they were seated nearby. With a raised eyebrow, Evelyn sighed softly. Addison was never too good at hiding things, and this was a good example of it.

"Let me put it this way, no they are not on this flight, they had to take a jet out of Seattle which should answer the question you didn't actually ask." Evelyn replied with a smile. Addy started to turn a shade of red as she knew she was busted and her mother knew exactly what she was actually asking about. Seattle held a special meaning to Addy as it was the place that the person she wanted to see the most had been living for the last 2 years.

Jackson Hart had been the boy next door for most of Addy's life, or at least as long as she could remember him being there. Jackson and his parents had moved next door when Addy was a small child. At first Addy took no notice of Jackson as he was just another kid in the same neighborhood. Addy would often chase her brother and his friends around trying to be part of their group, but Seth being the brother that he was never, wanted anything to do with Addy.

The first real time they interacted was on the local playground. Seth and his friends had yet again denied Addy from playing with them. The little girl sat on the edge of the sand box with tears forming in her eyes. She had always felt the need to get approval and love from her brother as she was a very shy girl with no real friends of her own. She sat there lonely as ever until she felt a small tap on her shoulder.

"Are you okay? You got water on your face." Addy looked up at the boy, who had a real look of concern on his chubby face. She looked and noticed, or at least in her mind she was remembering the details of his young face. The tiny amount of freckles strewn about his face, the curly dark blonde hair, and those baby blue eyes. Back in her memory, young Addy nodded her head, not brave enough to say anything to him yet. "Did someone hurt you? If they did, I can go find them and make sure they stop from ever doing it again." Young Jackson stuck out his chest as though he was a superhero in training of sorts. Young Addy fought a smile from forming on her face, but was bewildered by this boy.

From that day on Addison and Jackson were the best of friends. Always playing in each other's yard, at the park, or on the playground. Jackson was two years older than Addy, and was in the same grade as Seth, but always made time to hangout with or play with Addy. If they had the same lunch time, Jackson would always sit with Addy, and help her with any homework she couldn't understand on the bus ride home. Even if many of the boys his own age, including Seth, made fun of him for hanging out with a girl, it didn't bother Jackson because Addy and him didn't care what others thought. As they grew and their bodies started to change, they grew closer and closer, without either one really expressing how they felt towards one another. But the biggest change came when Jackson was 16 and Addison had just turned 14.

As school was coming to an end, the two planned and planned what they would do together all summer, until the devastating news came. Jackson's grandfather wanted Jackson to spend the entire summer with him in Seattle. Jackson of course didn't want to go, but his parents forced him to, saying it would be good for him to go back north for awhile and that he and Addison could always spend time together when he got back. On the day they took Jackson to the airport, Addy's parents let her go along to say goodbye. Both sets of parents thought it was cute and nice that they were so close, yet always tried to deter them from getting "too close". As they waited for the plane to start boarding, Jackson would keep telling Addy that it would be okay and he would be back before she realized he was gone. Addy thought to herself that she would be miserable that summer without him, but she still hugged him when it was time to go, and even sneaked a little kiss onto his cheek. Jackson started to turn red, but it was his time to get onto the plane, so he couldn't say anything back to Addy. He waved to all of them, all the way down the hall until he was out of view and entering the plane.

When Jackson returned home, he had become "different". It wasn't just the growth spurt he had taken on, now standing a little over 6 foot. It wasn't the muscles his body had gained in the time he was gone. But instead Jackson's demeanor had changed, and changed dramatically. When he returned, Addy was waiting at her front room window for the Hart's car to return from the airport. When it did, Addy jumped up and was out the door. She jogged lightly to greet Jackson, and when he stepped out of the car, Addy was taken aback by how much different he looked, but she was sure the same Jackson was under all of it. Jackson saw her coming and instead of a huge smile or out-stretched arms, he gave her a strained smile, but said nothing. The Hart's invited the Wright's over as a little welcome home gathering. When asked about his trip, Jackson gave very short answers and nothing more. Addy became worried, and it showed as well, as Mrs. Hart took her to the side and told her not to worry and that Jackson was probably tired from the long flight or just needed time to relax, as her father probably worked Jackson to the bone the whole summer. She also told her to just give him his space, and when he was ready he would give her a big hug she was yearning for since he got back.

Addison waited days, then weeks, then months for Jackson to return to his normal self, but he never did. It didn't help that Jackson was in high school and Addy was still in middle school, but to complicate matters between them, Jackson started playing all the sports he could try out for. Which in turn meant that he was never at home, for her to talk to or even see anymore. Addison soon started to think that the kiss she had given him before his flight had scared him and that was why he was acting distant. But those thoughts were put to one day when Addy was waiting for Seth to take them home, that a few of the more popular girls in class started making fun of Addison. Not that she looked weird, or acted weird, they bullied her only because she was an easy target, and she barely said a word to fight back. They were cackling after one of the girls had called Addy a "lonely loser", when a deep voice called at them.

"Shouldn't you bimbos be practicing some bulimia or something? Or do you prefer things going into your mouth?" The group of girls turned, shocked. Their jaws were still hanging open at the insult, but they said nothing as Jackson stood there, stoic as he had become lately. Without giving them time to come up with a reply, or giving them another minute of his time, Jackson strode by them to Addy. "Need a ride?" He asked in a hush tone so only she could hear. Addison nodded. He pulled her bookbag off her shoulder and turned towards his car. Not knowing what else to do, she followed him, trying not to make eye contact with the "bimbos". They were all still in shock, and said nothing else towards Addy, ever again.

The two of them sat in silence for the first half of their journey back home. Addison wanted so badly to say something, ask him what was wrong, or apologize about the kiss, anything. But she couldn't form the words in time. As soon as she knew it they were parked in between her house and his, and with that Addy's chance to speak with Jackson was over. She reached for the car door when Jackson finally spoke to her, his voice was so small and broken that for a split second Addy thought someone else was in the car.

"I'm so sorry Addison," she wanted to reply but Jackson pressed his finger softly on her lips, sending a shock through Addy's body. "Please, it will be easier if you just let me go on. I know I've been distant and I know you must be worried or mad at me, but it has to be like this...forever. Please forgive me, but please also forget that I ever existed." Tears began to run down both of their cheeks. "This is how things have to be, as they always have," Jackson said as if he was reciting something and not just talking plainly. "If you hate me I will understand, if you move on I'll be happy, but just know I made choices to save you." With that Jackson grabbed his bag and left the car, leaving Addy a crying mess. She thought back to how it felt her heart was being torn from her, and her world melting away. Addy's parents found her about an hour later still sitting in the passenger seat of Jackson's car. They grabbed her things and led Addy to her room, where Evelyn would sit with her the remainder of the night, comforting her daughter.

After that day, Addison would keep her distance from Jackson, as per his request. She never did move on though, because Jackson was the only real friend Addison had growing up. She would still show up at his games, sometimes alone, or sometimes with Jackson's parents, who still treated her like an adopted daughter, which comforted Addison. Unfortunately though Jackson did move on, eventually dating one of the star cheerleaders, named Amy. To complicate things further, Addison's body started to change as well. She started to develop like girls do, and other boys started to notice. Many tried but none succeeded in asking out Addison, as she wasn't interested in any other boy. But she did start to gain a few friends as the years of school passed by. They would come over, do homework, gossip, and a time or two would see Jackson doing yard work or playing basketball by himself out back, and start to fawn over him. They would often tell Addy how lucky she was to live next to Jackson, with Addy just brushing off the remarks, as they had no clue how much it tortured her to not be as close to him anymore.

As Jackson became a senior, and Addison was now a sophomore, Addy was actually asked to try out for the school choir. She wasn't sure she really wanted to, as she had never really sang in front of people, and wasn't sure how the choir teacher had even figured out she liked to sing. She would usually sing to herself at home, or when she wasn't near anyone in school. She had actually started to write her own songs, but was too afraid to sing it for anyone to see if it was any good. Addy almost didn't tell her mother that she had been invited to audition, but it sort of slipped out, and Evelyn was elated. Eve did all she could to encourage her daughter to try out, even offering to listen to her sing and critique her at home. Addison of course was too bashful to sing in front of her mother, but as consolation she agreed to try out. To her very honest surprise she passed and was invited into the choir. It took most of her time after school with practices and recitals. So much that Jackson actually started to slip out of her head. They would still wave at one another as they got to their separate cars in the morning, or the odd occasion they would see each other in the halls.

Addy started to blossom into a magnificent singer and was actually talked into taking a few solos for the big performance coming up for the "Winter Gathering", the school held the day before Christmas break. When the time came for the performance, Addison was finally more excited than scared of singing all by herself in front of everyone in the auditorium. The choir sang and sang until Addy's solo arrived. She shuffled to the front during the transition and began to sing her heart out. She tried not to look at the crowd but soon found her parents smiling back at her, beaming with admiration. Then she found the Hart's sitting in the crowd as well, smiling at her too. Her mind went back to the little girl she used to be, as she scanned for Jackson around them, but no sign of him. Then she finally told herself that she didn't need his approval or him to distract her from living her life. She continued to sing, hitting every key perfectly until it was time for the finale. After the performance, Addy ran to her parents who were conversing with the Hart's. They all have her high praise, with Mrs. Hart even commented on how surprised she was that she had gotten over the shyness she was accustomed to seeing from Addy all the years prior. This comment alone made Addison beam with happiness, knowing that she was finally breaking free from the "old" Addy. In the back of her head she wondered if it was because she was happy to be out of her shell or if it was because she was doing as Jackson had asked her to do.

The choir team were going to a pizza place after the event, and Addy had gotten permission from her parents to go as well. Addison was in the changing room, switching out of her performance clothing, when two of the performers of the play that happened before the choir show came into the room to grab something. They had not heard Addy or knew she was there at all, as they continued their conversation.

"...Yeah but he has a girlfriend right?" The first voice asked as they entered the room.

"Uh duh, he's been dating Amy for like two years." The second voice stated. Addy had to stop for a second. Jackson's girlfriend was named Amy, and they had been dating for about two years. Were they talking about Jackson? Addison listened closer, trying to figure out who they were talking about. "But after tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if he dumped her and asked out that soph singer." The second voice finished.

"You have to be kidding, her? She's just so plain and Jackson is just such a hunk. If he dumped Amy I would definitely go after that." Addison held her breath in shock. There was no way they were talking about her as the "soph singer", right? Then she thought to herself that they must be wrong as she looked everywhere and saw no sign of Jackson that night.

"Well maybe you should just learn to sing, I mean she was really good, but he was almost at the edge of his seat listening to her. I heard they used to be friends long ago, but they are in two totally different worlds at this school. Oh well, it's still weird that as soon as she was done he bolted out."

"Probably didn't want the other jock's to know he was at the choir show," the two laughed at that remark, gathered what they had come into the changing room for, and left. The wall that Addy had just built in her mind, had shattered and crumbled down. Addy slid down the wall, trying to process everything she had just heard. She tried to not assume that they were talking about her, but it was so hard not to assume that. The two girls had mentioned them being friends and she was the only sophomore to have a solo this year so she had to think they were talking about her. Even though she had performed almost an hour ago, Addy began to feel a bit of embarrassment that Jackson was there watching somewhere, and was almost enthralled by her performance. She smiled and bit her lip at the aspect of Jackson preferring to watch her than spend time with his own girlfriend. She collected herself and made her way to the pizza place for the afterparty. She sat with a few girls in her choir group, chatting about this and that until something shook Addy to the core. Amy, the girlfriend of her crush Jackson, strolled in, but not with Jackson, but with a different player from the football team. Addison tried not to stare but she couldn't help but glance over at the table the two had sat at. Maybe they were just friends and Jackson was busy with something else. That was the thought Addy had until the new guy swung his arm around her and pulled her into a kiss.

"What's that about?" Addison finally asked, afraid her friends would know exactly her true intentions in her questioning. The girls looked over at the two love birds and huddled closer, whispering to each other.

NWX217
NWX217
350 Followers