The Way Things have Always Been

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh my gosh, I heard Amy and Jackson broke up like a day ago. She moves fast." One friend said.

"I heard she was cheating on him all along, probably with that big dope." Another chimed in.

"I bet Jackson is heart broken, maybe he needs a shoulder to cry on," a third suggested. But Addy really wasn't listening to her friends anymore. She was lost in thought, she started putting things together in her head. Maybe Jackson had broken up or was broken up with Amy, and he had come to see her perform. Maybe this was the chance she had truly been waiting for, maybe he finally escaped what was holding him away from her. Thinking quickly, she excused herself from the table, and shuffled her way out of the restaurant, not wanting to explain to her friends where she was going. She was more worried about getting to the Hart's house and seeing Jackson. She built herself up the whole drive home, she was going to get answers, and she wasn't going to take a no for an answer. Her confidence was sky high and she was going to make things right with the boy she cared so much for.

Addison pulled up in front of her house, and looked over at the Hart house, and saw that some lights were on. She jumped out of her car and ran across the lawn, and began pounding on the door. Beth Hart opened the door with her usual smile.

"Hello dear, what can I do for you?" Addison worked up all the courage she could and asked.

"Can I please talk to Jackson? Please, it's very important." Beth's smile faded a bit, and she sighed.

"Honey, I'm sorry but Jackson left a little bit ago."

"When will he be back?"

"I'm sorry dear, but I'm afraid he won't" Addy curled her brow, not understanding what she meant. "Dear, Jackson graduated early. He's on his way to Seattle to start his career early." Addison was devastated. The boy next door was gone, and from the sounds of it, for good. She didn't even get to say goodbye to him, which made the pain in her heart ache harder. Beth, sensing the devastation in Addy, pulled her in for a hug. "I know how much he meant to you. You were very special to him as well."

"Then why didn't he at least say goodbye?" Addison said, pressing her face into Mrs. Hart's shirt to try and hide her tears.

"Honey, I can't speak for him, but maybe he was afraid to say goodbye? Or he couldn't stand breaking your heart. But all I do know is he left you something in your mailbox before he drove off." Addy pulled away from Mrs. Hart, looked towards the mailbox and back to Mrs. Hart. Beth mouthed the word "go" and Addy raced off to the box. She pulled it open and inside sat a manila envelope with her name on it. She ripped the envelope open and three things laid inside. First was a single rose that was flattened as if it was inside a book pressing. The second was a photo of the two of them when they were much younger. The last item was a notebook that simply read on the front "Never stop singing". Addison clutched the items to her chest as she started to cry even harder. It took a moment but she walked to her house, went to her room that night, held the rose and picture in her hand, and cried herself to sleep.

After winter break, Addy learned that Jackson had known he was leaving after that semester, so he had broken up with Amy, and that's why she was with someone new at the pizza place. She apparently was the only one who had known Jackson wasn't coming back. She learned this when a couple of Jackson's teammates asked her if she knew where he was, being his neighbor and all. Addy was shocked when Amy herself came asking, as she was becoming concerned after he stopped replying to her plus not showing up at school after break. She didn't really want to tell anyone she knew where he had gone, and feigned ignorance, citing that he didn't really talk to him anymore, which wasn't a lie. Every day after school she would look next door hoping to see Jackson's car had returned, but never did. She would go into the house, do her homework, then pull out the notebook Jackson had left her. At first she didn't know what to do with it. It was very special to her even if it was just a book of blank paper. She thought she would make it her journal, but she didn't really want to write how much she missed Jackson everyday, or write in it and someone like Seth finding it and humiliating her. Then it came to her. Jackson had told her what to do, with the cover stating "Never Stop Singing." She turned the book into her music book. From playlists she had created for every mood, to the original songs she started to write and sing to herself, with the first completed song being called "The Boy Next Door". No one was allowed to hear that one.

The rest of the year moved faster and faster, until it was over. The summer began, and the first week was strange. Her parents and brother were set to visit a college in Arizona, and were leaving Addy at home to fend for herself. Addy was fine with that part, but when she actually glimpsed at one of their plane tickets, it read "Destination: Seattle". Addy brought it up to her father, who plainly replied that it was just a connection, and they couldn't get a direct flight to Phoenix. Addy wanted to ask more but her father excused himself, like he didn't want to breach the subject any further. Addy took care of herself the two full days her family was gone, but when they got back was when she felt her family was beginning to fall apart. After their return was when her father lost his job, citing that his company wasn't happy he had taken the trip to Arizona. It didn't really make sense but she didn't want to upset her father any more than Seth just breathing now seemed to do. The next two years went fast as Addy got a part time job at the local market as a cashier, to help her family financially. Her father found a different job but it didn't pay as well, and they didn't have the benefits they used to. Addy used that fact she worked almost every night, even if it was for only a couple hours, to reject all the dating offers she was being dealt. She had fully blossomed into a very beautiful girl, but she wasn't really ready to date, or truly get over Jackson. She knew she would have to eventually, but she was going to do it in her own time, and she was okay with taking her time.

As soon as she knew it, she was half way through her senior year and college was calling. Her mother told she should take a year off from school after high school, and just enjoy life for a year, which confused Addy. But her mother told her she had done the same thing and took the year to research all the colleges she wanted to go to, and be able to pick out the specific one that fitted her. Of course her mother never got to that perfect college, as she had met Addy's father and they had fallen in love, and began to start a family soon after. Addy liked the idea, but she still sent out a few college applications and actually received an acceptance from a school for the singing arts in San Diego. She was super excited but still wasn't sure what path to take, so she took her time, just like getting over Jackson.

-

Jackson Hart sat at the window of the private jet that was transporting his parents and himself to Hawaii. His parents chatted back and forth as he blankly stared out at the passing clouds. Jackson had woken up this morning in an unsure mood. Unsure if he should even make this flight. His parents were already on their way to Seattle when Jackson woke up, so maybe they could just go, but then he thought back to the point that this was all his own doing. This trip was all about Addison. He smiled at the thought of seeing her again after all this time. He pushed himself out of bed and to the dresser where a lone picture stood framed. It was the same picture he had left for Addison on his way out of Los Angeles. The picture of the two of them as kids. Addison had her arms wrapped around Jackson's neck as he carried her off to some adventure. Jackson sighed to himself as he headed to his morning workout routine. Afterwards, Jackson got his things together for this trip, messaged his secretary to remind her no work related things were to be sent to him while he was away. Jackson packed his few bags into the car and pulled out of the drive, admiring his home. It was out of town in the middle of a mass amount of trees, out of sight from any peering eyes, especially now that the trees were gaining their leaves in full force now. This wasn't the place Jackson had envisioned himself in, but that was the peek of who his grandfather was.

Jackson arrived at the airport just a few minutes before his parents stepped off their plane. He greeted them both with a hug and a kiss on the cheek for his mother. He asked them both if there was anything they needed before making the longer trip south. They both passed, so Jackson led them to a private terminal where the jet was waiting for them. The pilot greeted them all, took his place in the cockpit, and they were soon off to Hawaii.

"So are you ready son?" Parker Hart asked his son. Jackson analyzed the question.

"I'll tell you when we are making the trip home." He replied solemnly.

"Are you nervous dear?" His mother chimed in.

"Yes, no, maybe, I don't know," Jackson said standing up to grab something to drink.

"Sit down son, your mother will grab something for us." Jackson's father patted the seat in front of him. Beth grabbed a few drinks as Jackson sat, not sure what to say. "Son, I know this transition has been tough for you, and I know that this isn't where you expected to be right now, but remember this is the promise you made and we are all going to do our best to help you keep it." The words echoed in Jackson's ears.

"I...solemnly swear," Jackson nearly whispered. He was sitting in a dark room surrounded by men. They were all looking down upon Jackson like a Supreme Court.

"And what is it that you promise young Mr. Hart?" The leader asked Jackson.

"I promise to uphold the decision of the counsel, and to restore the order of our sacred court, after the revelations that were unearthed before me." Jackson gulped, so unsure what he had really gotten himself into.

"Very well, it seems as though the court is pleased to have the Wright Family case resolved, we will follow up in two years time to reevaluate and make sure Mr. Hart has followed through." The lead speaker announced. He banged his gavel and they all disbursed. Jackson stood there waiting for the person who brought him in.

"Jackson!" A man called out. Jackson turned and walked slowly over to the man who was flanked by another man in a very nice suit. "That was very noble of you my boy. I just hope you understand that when you give your word to the council, they will hold you to it, or you will face dire consequences."

"I understand Grandfather."

"Okay good, now this is Mr. Bell. I know you have enjoyed your time off since your graduation but Mr. Bell will introduce you into the family business and get you settled in for your future."

"Yes Grandfather."

Jackson was pulled from his memory as the pilot announced that they would be arriving soon.

-

Addy and her family stretched and yawned a bit after finally escaping the confines of the airplane. Addy wasn't sure what the plan was next but it soon became apparent. After gathering their baggage, they turned to a line of people holding up signs for the people they were waiting for. Evelyn tapped on Addy's shoulder and pointed to the sign holder to the far left. He held a sign that read "Addison Wright and family". She smiled and the family walked over to the man. He asked for a form of ID which Mr. Wright showed him. The driver took some of the bags and led them to his waiting limo. Seth was about to say something until Mr. Wright told him to hush it. They all climbed in and off they went to their destination. Addison looked out the window the whole time, watching street vendors sell their goods, vacationers taking selfies with local Hawaiian things, and then the beach. They drove past a part of the beach that was very close to the water, which was glistening with the midday sun hanging high above them. Then came the resort. It was a magnificent looking resort, basking with Hawaiian culture but also with elegance for any tourist who stayed there.

The Wright family stepped out of the limo and made their way into the plaza of the resort. Huge chandelier lights hung above them, as they walked to the front desk. Addy looked off and saw that the main lobby dipped down a story with a huge inside lounge area complete with piano and player.

The front receptionist took their names and then handed them three door card keys. Addy looked at them strangely.

"You two get your own rooms," Ben said, noticing his kids' confused looks. Seth shrugged his shoulders and headed to his room. Evelyn told her daughter to take her things up to her room, get changed or cleaned up and to meet them back in the lobby in 30 minutes so they could greet the Hart family on their arrival. Addy made it up to the 3rd floor, and easily found her room. She ran the key card and popped open the door to an amazing sight. Inside was one queen sized bed, with the usual amenities of your usual hotel room, but past the bed laid the large sliding glass door. And beyond that was a pretty good sized balcony which of course led to a breath-taking view of the ocean. She slid the door open and took in that ocean air, which made every bit of tension she might have had about this trip melt away.

Addy returned to her room, and pulled the toiletry bag out of her luggage along with some new clothes, and took it into the bathroom, she graciously didn't have to share with any of her family. She looked into the mirror at herself. She knew she looked quite different since the last time Jackson and herself had met. Her cheeks were a bit more slender, and her lips poured out a little more. She had changed hair styles dramatically as well, going from a typical ponytail, to curling it and pushing it to the front. She twirled a loose strand of her shiny black hair and placed it back into place. She stripped off the shirt she had been wearing, a black shirt with her favorite singer on the front, and then removed her jean shorts. She then again looked at the mirror and sighed. She didn't like that her breasts weren't that big, and her butt wasn't that full as well. Which made her legs look even skinnier, like two matchsticks. Then she began to think what would Jackson say if he were there right now, ogling her in her underwear. But she soon shook off the thought, as Jackson was now a hotshot...something in Seattle and wouldn't even give her a second glance, let alone a first one. But she was excited that he was going to be there, even if he probably was there more for business or to see his own parents. She pulled on a flowery dress, checked her hair and left the room, to meet her family back in the lobby.

-

Jackson stared out the window, trying to calm his nerves. It all came down to this and he knew that the first impression was the most important part. He had learned that in his dealings with the family company, along with always making a plan and following through with it. There was a lot riding on this plan, and Jackson had spent the last two years thinking about every scenario that could happen and how to flip the plan into still working. But above all else he was worried about Addy. She didn't deserve to be thrown into all of this, so that's why he had thrown everything he had into making this go as smoothly as possible.

The Hart's limo had arrived and the driver had escorted them to the front door. As his parents walked up to the front desk, Jackson strolled away towards the lounge area. At the banister overlooking the piano player playing a soft song, was a girl leaning up against the banister. Jackson looked at her and was instantly entranced by her. She was listening to the music, and he could see her mouthing lyrics he couldn't hear. She pulled a strand of her hair, a shiny black curl, back behind her ear. Jackson saw the soft warm browns of her eyes and knew instantly that this girl who had taken his breath away at first sight was the one who always took that breath away.

"Hello Addy..."

-

Addison arrived in the lobby before any other person in her family or Jackson's so she tried to calm her nerves by listening to the piano player. He was playing a song she hadn't heard before so her musical mind tried to come up with a suitable lyric track to his music. As she started to get a chorus going, she started to feel as though someone was staring at her. Instinctively she reached for her hair but instead of playing with it she stopped herself from being nervous and just put the curl behind her ear. Then a soft warm voice spoke out to her.

"Hello Addy." The voice greeted. She turned slowly and there he was. Jackson Hart was standing about 5 feet away, with his hands in his business suit pants. He had grown a few more inches and now was about a head length over her. His dirty blond hair was styled like some Hollywood model. He had the beginnings of a five o'clock shadow but his firm jaw made it suit him like everything else. He had a good set of muscles on his whole body from what she could see, but the thing she was entranced with the most was the smile he had for her. It looked like it pained him to smile at her but more or less it looked like the old Jackson. It was the smile of her best friend who had disappeared about 4 years ago. She smiled back at him with a single tear racing down her cheek. "Now don't start crying on me now, or you're gonna get me going. It's so good to see you again." Jackson said softly as he walked up to her and grabbed her into a huge hug. Addy had lost her words, as she had never been so happy in her life. Every worry, doubt, and insecurity melted in his arms. But she started to think, what had changed? Why was he treating her like this now? She pulled away and gave him a questioning look. He sighed almost knowing she was suspicious of this change in time. "I know I have a lot to make up for, and I want to tell you everything if you allow me to. But let's wait until you and I can talk privately for a while, that is if you even want an apology and explanation from me." His face grew solemn. Addy smiled at him and gave him another hug.

"Of course I want to spend time alone with you...er...I mean hear an explanation." She said turning a shade of pink. Jackson giggled at her which made Addy so happy to see and hear. "As long as you promise to not disappear in the night ever again." She added seriously.

"Addy, I promise, my plane leaves when yours does." They smiled at each other again, staring, not knowing what to do until they heard someone close clear their throat. They turned to see both of their families ogling them. Seth looked like he was gonna be sick but both parents seemed to be beaming with happiness that their kids were back to how they used to be. Everyone except Seth greeted each other, and with the hotel taking their things to the rooms, it was agreed that the families would go for a stroll down to the local pier, where they had shops, goodies, and places to eat. Parker and Ben walked together talking about sports, Evelyn and Beth talked about their gardens, Seth ventured off to get into trouble elsewhere, while Jackson and Addy walked slowly, just glad to be near each other. They all walked up to a shop that had clothes, beach items, and knick knacks. Eve pulled Addy to the side.

"How are you doing dear?" Evelyn asked.

"I'm fine," she replied quickly.

"Well no offense honey but it looks like your heart is about to pound out of your chest. Now with mothers intuition I can guess what is causing that." She said, nodding over to Jackson, who was just soaking in all the sights they were passing. "Just take some deep breaths, I know it's been awhile since you have seen him." Eve smiled at her daughter.