The Wedding of the Fashion Dolls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Not back then, though. Luckily there was an older lady—kindergarten teacher, maybe? Anyway, she remembered being encouraged to make up her own stories.

And hell, it worked out. A hundred and fifty to three-hundred bucks a quarter for writing romance stories—and the occasional "fingering fic"—wasn't anything like a living, but it was groceries in a pinch. It took quite a while and a lot of writing to independently get to that level of sales and royalties, but it had actually let her build up a pretty good short-term emergency cushion over the last couple of decades, and thank heaven for e-books and online vendors and patronage sites! And though her day job was as boring as paint drying, it was at least writing. Even if it wasn't always fun, it was easier than actually making up stories, and magazine copy was something she was good at. She really didn't have much to complain about in her life.

And if you don't have much of a life, whaddya got to complain about, right?

She mentally smacked her face. Not really a fair assessment; her life was reasonably full. She really enjoyed writing the stories. She ran, most mornings, or worked out at home. Once or twice a month she went to the bar and caught up with the locals.

She scoffed, thinking: I finish work, go home, write a book, have a couple of beers, take myself for a walk and go to bed and thank you for that concise summation, Rowlf.

It was just that there was something missing, or something she'd misplaced and couldn't find no matter where she looked, or some lost ... not ... argh!

She looked over at Marjani getting out of the bed.

Oh.

There it was.

And just like that all of the mundane, routine calming the hell down she'd just done went *poof*. She needed into the shower with a palmful of shower gel as fast as she could manage it.

Marj placed a hand on her shoulder. "Hey. Where's your head at?"

El sighed in frustration and looked at her the way a baby looks at the next new thing. She leaned forward and carefully, quickly, placed a firm but soft kiss on Marj's cheek. "Nowhere, young lady. Let's get ready for a wedding."

―――――

By the time they got to putting dresses on they were getting pretty good at dancing around each other. While Marj was in the shower El had gone across the street and gotten a couple of eggamuffin breakfasts with large black coffees and a side of "okay, just calm down." Waiting for the elevator took longer than getting the food, and gave her time to try and convince herself just how fundamentally ridiculous she was.

Riding up gave her time to realize she hadn't convinced herself of a goddamn' thing.

There wasn't a lot of talking, just rushed eating, rushed brushing, rushed makeup, minimal styling, and carefully getting dressed. El was in a dusky-sky blue dress that left her arms bare, and from her clavicles to her thighs covered—the slightly tapered skirt ended just above her knees. She wore slate-blue two inch heels, and a shawl the same color as the shoes that was more air than silky yarn. Her pearl earrings matched her delicate pearl choker. She sort of brushed back her silver locks and sprayed gunk at them to keep them in place. Marj tsked and sat her down at the breakfast counter. She brushed out El's hair and pinned it into a much better look.

Marj was in a dress similar El's. It was a medium gray and slightly longer, but slit about four inches at each knee. She didn't even have to use any hairspray on her silver-threaded, dark chocolate waves. She just twisted the sides into something like a not-braided french braid and made a sort of corona of tresses with a tiny bun centered in the back, all held by a couple of big bobby pins. It looked great (which thoroughly annoyed Elody.) She wore a short light-grey jacket, and matching kitten heels. She had small dangling turquoise teardrop earrings, with a delicate matching bracelet of turquoise cabochons set in intricately braided gold and silver wire inlaid on very thin articulated mahogany plaques. It should have been clunky, instead it was faery-like. The set made Elody's eyes go very wide.

"That is a striking bracelet!"

Marj nodded emphatically. "It is. Mom got it with the earrings from some vendors on a beach when her and Dad were on a trip to California. I always loved this set. She gave it to me after I came out. She said she thought the vendors would want me to have it." El cocked an eyebrow at her, and she shrugged and said, "no idea. Mom was inscrutable."

"No necklace?"

Marj glowered. "No." That "no" was delivered in a flat monotone that invited no further inquiry whatsoever.

El made a mental note to find out about angry "no" in the most delicate way she could manage.

―――――

They gave each other a once over, told each other "you look great!" and rushed down to El's car.

Traffic wasn't bad, and a little more than fifteen minutes after leaving the apartment El handed her fob to the valet.

"Nice not to be part of the hoi polloi for once," said Marj.

El grinned at her. "For me anyway. Don't try and tell me you're not used to this."

"Well I was, but I kinda left all that behind a while ago."

"There you are!" Bandia strode up and pecked Marj's cheek while frowning at her. "You missed the reveal." She turned back to Marj. "She was dragging ass and whining about having to be here at the ungodly hour of nine o'clock in the morning, wasn't she? I take it she was your ride."

"Actually she was my motel. Um, we can talk about that later, but Cindy told me we had to be here at 10:00?"

"Ooooo! TEN for family pictures, NINE for the start of photos. DAMN that woman!"

"Now now," said El. "Don't want to start out on the wrong foot with the in-laws."

"Too late. Well, not with James. James is a sweetheart. But that woman is doing everything possible to steal her daughter's day, arrange everything to suit herself, and turn my bride into bridezilla."

Marj glanced at the heavens and sighed. "Well. If you decide to roll up your sleeves and make my sister put up her dukes, I'll gladly hold your jacket. Stunning tux, by the way."

"Hello," said James as he walked up behind El and Marj. "Sorry, but the party store didn't open until ten-thirty and I knew I had to get back."

Bandi frowned at him. "What are you talking about?"

"The balloons?" He was met with blank looks. "Your mother-in-law sent me out to get the missing silver balloons?"

"I don't know anything about any 'missing balloons,' and my mother-in-law may be going to a funeral right after the wedding."

"Ah," said James. "Where is she?"

A loud and theatrically annoyed woman's voice came from across the pavilion. "Well this is simply unacceptable!"

"Nevermind," said James. "Found her. I'll sort this." Frowning, he briskly strode off in the direction of the voice.

―――――

El found her sister-in-law Laoise in the midst of a large cluster of Bandi's friends, which contained most of the very few guests that Laoise knew. Laoise was relieved to see her, and they chatted between being summoned for pictures.

There were a lot of pictures: pictures with Bandi, pictures with Bandi and Ani, pictures with James and Cindy, with Bandi and Nancy, with James and Bandi and Cindy and Ani, pictures with... well, you get the picture. The brides were definitely getting photo-fatigue. Even though the photographer rotated her subjects, the brides didn't get a lot of breaks.

Ani insisted that there be a few pictures of El and Marj together. Whenever the aunts encountered each other there was a hand on an elbow, or a quick hug, and always a couple of big smiles.

There came a point where Laoise and El were both at loose ends for some time, and El could talk to her for more than a minute. "Leesh, there are darn few family members on the Conners side of this--basically you, me, and Nance. Plus a raft of Bandi and Ani's friends, which I'm grateful for, believe me. I don't want to mess with anything here, but it may be necessary for me to sit with Marji. Is that going to be a problem? Or could she sit with us?"

Laoise considered for a moment. "Ani's Aunt Marji is a sweetheart, isn't she?" She smirked. "You've taken the younger birdie under your wing I see." She bounced her eyebrows. "Keeping total track of her and touching each other every chance you get."

El went expressionless when the words "younger birdie" were uttered. When her sister-in-law finished being smarmy, she said "eYuh-Puh."

"Well, I'd love it if you could sit over with us. But just remember, that will mean that afterwards Nancy will have a head-start on trying to talk two gay brides and both gay aunts out of their 'unwise life choices.'"

They both chuckled, rolled their eyes, sighed and said "oooooh, Nancy," in the "what are we gonna do with you" way that's reserved for well loved but exasperating relatives.

"Don't get me wrong," said Laoise, "I love 'er to bits. She's the second best sister-in-law I got. And you gotta admire someone who can so gently and relentlessly bombard you with an endless supply of morality-marshmallows."

El gave her a nodding and laughing hug, then went to hunt for Marji.

The pre-ceremony pictures dragged on interminably. For Marj and El, most of the time was spent sitting under ceiling fans, sipping bottled water and waiting for the wedding coordinator to collect them for the (relatively) few pictures they were required or requested to be in. El pulled Bandia aside when she got a chance and explained about sitting with Marj, assuring her that this wasn't due to her soon to be mother-in-law trying to pull something. Bandia had no problem with her Aunt and Marjani sitting together, and promised to mention it to Anilaja.

At the last minute the Photographer decided she needed another couple of full family shots with the improved daylight that had developed. Everybody stood around waiting in the sun while Cindy was being located; it turned out Cindy had gone to the restroom moments before the photographer decided she needed everyone. Marj and El got the giggles, but they calmed down by the time Cindy got back.

―――――

The pavilion was cleared while the last of the photos were taken. El and Marj spent the time conversing with Laoise and with El's sister Nancy. A crowd of newly arriving guests milled around the front of the pavilion for a few minutes, until the PA announced "guests of James and Conners, please take your seats. James and Conners." The crowd moved toward the entrance to the pavilion, and small groups and individuals began to be escorted to seats inside.

El and Marj were a few yards back in the queue. El was quiet for a few steps. She started to speak, stopped, started again and Marj put a hand up and patted her shoulder. "I'm fine. Don't worry."

"I just, um. Do you want me to sit with you, or no? I kind of arranged for the contingency. I hope you don't mind."

Marj sighed. "I'm sure Cynthia would consider it 'scandalous impropriety.' Ani told me they caved on not having 'sides for brides' because she was tired of fighting her mother on it."

"Would it really be that big of a deal to sit together?"

"You don't know my sister," Marj muttered.

El pulled her aside just as they got to the entrance. "Oh, I think I've got the picture. Believe me, she doesn't worry me. I saw your brother-in-law in action. And I know my niece, and have confidence in yours. Ani and Bandi will not have any problem if we'd like to sit together, in fact I'm pretty sure they would make it happen, whatever Cindy thinks. We can sit on the James family side of the aisle if she's going to cause a ruckus about where you're at—but if you want me I'm sitting with you regardless of what 'The Grand Dame' wants. I can say that Laoise will be happy if we sit on the Conners side. She's a little overmatched."

"Well, I'm still feeling a bit emotional, to be honest. I'd like to sit with you, if we could. And the James gang is over-represented, if you count all of my sister's pals."

El nodded and tapped the host. "Elody Conners and Marjani James." The host found their names on the list, and motioned El toward a Conners usher and Marj toward a James usher.

"No, we're going to sit together."

"Ummmm. Mrs. James said we aren't really supposed to make seating changes without approval from her. Um?" He faltered to a stop as the look Elody gave him sucked the warmth out of his blood.

"Oh, really? Is this Mrs. James' wedding?"

"Um, no?"

"And is there a wedding director?"

"There is a wedding coordinator, yes ma'am."

"And did either of the brides or the wedding coordinator authorize Mrs. James to make decisions for the brides?"

"I. I don't know?"

"Well then I'd suggest you get your events manager, and the wedding coordinator, and Mr. James—who is, unless I miss my guess, the one paying for this wedding—and perhaps at least one of the brides, and find out if Mrs. James has any authority to make any decisions at all about this wedding, hmmm? We'll wait."

The line stopped moving while some internal communications were radioed. A small group of people, including both brides, gathered at the edge of the pavilion, and James and Cindy were motioned over to the group. Cindy argued for a moment with James, then followed him over. The group disappeared into an event workers area.

About three minutes later, the host had a quiet radio chat, then came back to the gate, and held up his hands and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, uh. Yes, we're sorry for the hold up, there have been some, um, 'mistakes,' in the seating, but they are being corrected and we'll be able to escort you very shortly. Again, we apologize for the delay. Thank you for your patience.

"Wow El! I'm impressed."

"When you write for a regional events and happenings rag, young lady, you learn about this stuff."

Marj slipped her arm around El's waist, leaned her head against El's, and smiled. "You're just gonna call me 'Young Lady' from now on, aren'tcha?"

"Yep."

"Do I call you 'Old Bat' then?"

"Sure," said El, slipping her own arm around Marj's waist. "Live dangerously." She gave Marj's midriff a little pinch.

She got a soft but vehement "Hey!"

"Not living dangerously?"

"Oh, no problem with that, as long as you remember two can play at that game." They went a couple more steps and Marj twitched her fingers. It was just a sudden movement, but El's side twitched in response. "I didn't do anything," said Marj. El stoically looked ahead.

Just as they got to the front Marj twitched her fingers again. El's torso jerked and she softly whispered "You win you win you win you win you win! I concede! Uncle!"

Marj sat and smirked.

El whispered "you're getting canary feathers on that sexy dress."

Marj's smirk increased. It faltered a bit when the pianist began Pachelbel's Cannon in D. It faded completely when the cellist joined him.

Bandia's mother escorted her down the aisle. Laoise gave her daughter a kiss on the cheek when they reached the arch, then moved to her seat next to Nancy. She turned and smiled at El and Marj, seated in the row behind. El looked a bit worried but smiled back. Marj took slow, deep breaths.

The attendants processed, paired in progressively redder dresses or tuxes, the first were barely pink, the seventh were a dark—almost black—red.

Anilaja was immediately escorted down the aisle by her father, with fire in her eyes. There was no change in the music. James gave her a hug, lifted her veil and turned to hug Bandi before he put Ani's hand in hers and sat down next to his wife.

Marj gritted her teeth. She'd grabbed Elody's hand when the processional started, and now had her fingers in a death grip.

El pulled their hands between herself and Marj, shifting to clasp Marj's hand from below. She laid her left hand atop Marj's and steadily, gently rubbed the back of Marj's hand as the ceremony began.

Bandi's tuxedo and Ani's dress were as white as the snow on a mountain top. The character of the fire in Ani's eyes changed as she looked up and she and her bride gazed into each other's eyes with pure joy. Typical wedding magic, in other words.

The ceremony proceeded as they usually do. The officiant said some words about marriage, about love, about permanence. The couple spoke to each other and to the world about hopes and dreams, plans and promises, and undying love and commitment.

For Marjani the ceremony was superimposed on a memory of a plan, a ripped and tattered design that had to be hidden before it wrapped her in a shredded blanket of smothering grief. It became clear to her that she should not have come, but she hadn't understood that she should avoid coming until the previous night. She should have paid attention, and stayed away.

Now she had only one anchor to keep her from losing herself: the firm, delicately strong hands wrapping her own feeble hand. Someone wanted to make her world stable, for now. Someone wanted to lend her their strength. Someone wanted to help. Someone wanted be there so she wouldn't be alone. She knew this because that was the entire message of the hands; because that's what the hands solidly holding hers—and steadfastly moving over hers in a slow, predictable, soothing rhythm—were saying.

El felt Marji tense the moment the entrance music began; it felt to her as if Marji's fingers had suddenly transformed into dry, cold sticks. El knew immediately that Marj was going to have a very bad time with the wedding, that it wasn't really possible to get her out of there, and that El had to be calm and let Marji know that she wasn't going to be abandoned. That she was protected. El needed to be an anchor, and she needed to get it right.

Get it right, Elody. Don't fail this. No matter what happens later, somebody needs you right now. Don't. Fail. This.

Tell her, but don't talk. She covered Marji's hand and poured her entire focus into moving her fingers slowly and gently forward and back, forward and back, sending one message: "You're not alone. I'm here."

Marj submerged herself in the hands. Forward and back. Smoothing the rips. You're not alone. Gently. Covering the torn edges. There's someone between you and the horror in the drawer. Firmly. Easing the loss. Someone's here. Peacefully. Calming. You can look away.

The vows finally finished. Marji took a deep, deep breath. She squeezed the hand holding hers, sniffled, and leaned against El.

El looked over as a tear escaped and trailed down Marji's cheek. Marji looked back and mouthed thank you. El nodded. She brought Marji's hand up and kissed her knuckles. As she looked up, she noticed Cindy's venomous gaze focused on her and Marj. She kept her face neutral and turned her focus back to the brides.

She said, out of the corner of her mouth, "your sister is pissed off at me."

"My sister," Marj whispered, while manipulating her clutch one-handed, "can take a flying fuck at a rolling donut." She dug out a traveling-pack of tissues and pulled at the closure.

El, strangling a laugh, reached to hold the pack down so Marj could extract a couple of tissues. She held the clutch so Marj could stuff the pack back in and get the snap closed.

Marj dabbed her eyes and leaned against El again. They stayed that way until the announcement introducing "Mrs. and Mrs. Conners!" was made, and everyone stood and applauded. Ani and Bandi collected their bouquets and headed down the aisle to a cover of The Traveling Wilbury's "It's All Right," followed by a sunset-in-motion made of dresses and tuxes flowing down behind them.

"Kind of interesting recessional," said Marj. El said, "look at Cindy." Cindy looked very much like she was listening to a yard full of mating cats being accompanied by screeching brakes. James was grinning and nodding in time to the music.