The Weekend Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt that this was Lee's son. The resemblance was so uncanny that Lee couldn't deny him if he wanted to.

Then that would make the woman sleeping on the couch Jennifer.

That bit of knowledge made her assess herself, and she found surprising results. She thought that if she'd ever met this kid, that she would instantly hate him. He represented everything ugly that was the marriage between her and Lee. Her selfish nature would rage with jealousy, and she would once again fall into a despair about how much life unfairly stole from her.

His very breath was a slap to her face.

Yet, in this moment, she couldn't possibly hate him. There was no way. In fact, now that she knew who he was, her heart went out to him even more. As much as she wanted to exorcise Lee from her heart, he always found a way back in. The love that she had for him now extended to his precious son.

And just like that, Cassie's ghost was finally laid to rest.

This revelation also brought about new challenges; ones that had nothing to do with the cancer. She would probably be recused from this patient. She was too close, and there was no way that Jennifer would allow her to be Malcolm's nurse.

But she made him a promise. She pinkie swore. For some reason, it was important for her to keep it.

She would have to talk to Jennifer. No doubt, she would probably not like the fact that Regina was her son's nurse. Regina knew that in order to keep her promise to Malcolm, she had to convince his mother that she was the right person for the job.

As Malcolm's dad says, a promise is a promise.

That brought about the second challenge; Malcolm's dad. She was going to see Lee face to face. After so long, she would be in the same room as him.

What would she say? How would she feel? Even thinking about it brought those butterflies to her stomach. She wanted to feel nothing for him, but her heart betrayed her as it always did.

Regina slowly and quietly exited the room. For now, she was behind schedule for her other patients, and she had to get to work.

But she would be back.

***

THE NEXT DAY

"Hell no!" Lee heard Jennifer exclaim. Her voice carried all the way down the hall and to the elevators that he was exiting. He shook his head and sighed with exasperation.

"I don't feel like dealing with her shit right now." Lee thought as he begrudgingly walked to Malcolm's room. He just got off work, so his patience for bullshit was low.

Jennifer had been incorrigible since all this cancer stuff started. Lee got it; she was afraid. He was too. But he refused to be made the punching bag once again because another woman didn't know how to deal with life's pitfalls without treating him like the enemy.

"Jen, what are you..." he started to say before he entered the doorway. His question was caught in his throat when he saw Regina standing there.

She turned to look at him, and he thought his heart was going to kick its way out of his chest. It had been over four years since he'd seen her last, and for some reason he forgot how breathtakingly beautiful she was. Even with her hair wrapped up in a high bun and her face naked of makeup, she still had the ability to stop traffic.

This was the woman behind the letters. It was like he was meeting her for the first time all over again.

"Gina? What are you doing here?"

"Hey Lee." She said shyly, just as caught off guard by his presence.

For some reason, the adults in the room had completely forgotten about Malcolm. They did that often, especially since he's been sick. They talk about him, over him, and through him.

That's why he connected with Regina like he did. She was the first person to actually talk TO him about all this sickness stuff.

He looked between the three awkward grownups before asking. "Daddy, how do you know nurse Gee Gee?"

Jennifer's eyes rolled as her lips tightened into a frown. Seeing Lee there, gushing over his ex-wife like some love-struck teenager pissed her off even more than Malcolm's constant insipid praising of fucking "Nurse Gee Gee".

It was all she heard this morning from her son. Last night when he was checked into this ward of the hospital, he was so sad. His eyes were fill the fear of "The Big C". He didn't know what to expect, and Jennifer was unable to comfort him.

This morning, everything was different. He was talking about how brave he was going to be no matter how hard it got for him. Nurse Gee Gee, he was assured, was going to be with him every step of the way.

Jennifer was so ready to meet the angel who appeared in the middle of the night to comfort her little boy. Seeing how well he was adjusting encouraged Jennifer beyond words. She was so grateful.

Until she found out who "Nurse Gee Gee" really was when she took off her cape.

"Guys, I think we should talk about this somewhere else." Regina cautioned, nodding her head in Malcolm's direction, who was looking both confused and curious.

"Yes, let's talk about this." Jennifer said as she stormed out the room.

Lee blew out an exasperated breath as he pinched the bridge of his nose. He definitely didn't want to deal with this shit!

Malcolm sighed sadly. Once again, everyone around him was angry, and for some reason he felt like it was his fault. He thought being brave would make the grownups happy, but now they seemed madder than ever.

Lee looked over and saw his son's crestfallen face. Adding extra cheer in his voice, he said, "Hey buddy. Me, mommy, and Nurse Gee Gee are gonna talk outside. Holler if you need us; okay?"

"Okay."

Lee kissed him on the forehead and then went out to the hallway to join the other two women.

"Did you plan this? Is this some pathetic attempt to get back with your ex-wife?" Jennifer hissed accusingly at him when he made his way to where they were. Her hands were perched on her hips as she leaned towards him with her question.

Regina felt a need to keep Lee's name clean, so she started to say, "Jennifer...Lee had nothing to do with..."

"I WASN'T TALKING TO YOU, BITCH!" Jennifer interrupted loudly, daringly thrusting a finger towards her face. When Regina stopped talking, Jennifer returned her attention to Lee, shooting him an accusatory glare.

Lee looked around them, noting the growing attention they were garnering. Through gritted teeth, he grabbed Jennifer by the arm and whispered, "If you're gonna act like an ass, at least do it in private!"

She growled at him and snatched away from his grip. She did allow her eyes to scan the area and couldn't argue with his logic about a public scene. But she refused to be gaslighted about the sudden appearance of Regina at a time when she needed solidarity from Lee.

Truthfully, she didn't care who he dated. Sure, there was a time she had a small sliver of hope when he finally divorced that bitch, but that was a long time ago. Now, her only concern was her son. He was the very air she breathed, and she would be damned if she allowed a woman who protested his very existence to be his caregiver!

The three of them found an empty room and shut the door behind them. When they were closed off from the curious hospital staff, Lee turned the Jennifer and said, "You're being ridiculous, Jen."

"Am I? You honestly think that the person who should take care of our son is a woman who would rather see him dead? Are you serious? What is it with men? Why does your big head get soft when your small head get hard?"

Lee exhaled with exasperation, but he did see her point. Turning to his ex, he said, "Look Gina, maybe she's right. It is a conflict of interest for you. I'll go talk to the staff. I'll make sure that we don't say anything to jeopardize your job."

"No." Regina said shaking her head emphatically. She turned to Jennifer, looking her straight in the eyes. "Jennifer, you're right to want me taken off your son's case. If I were you, I would too. If you guys go to my charge nurse, she will undoubtedly give you another night nurse." Regina took a step closer to her. With pleading eyes, she continued. "But last night, I made a promise to Malcolm. I told him that you guys need him to be brave, and that I will be here every step of the way. For some reason, he connected with me. One thing that I know is that it's going to get hard for him; very hard and very fast. He's gonna need all the people in his corner that he can get. And I promise you that I am in his corner 100%."

"Why?" Jennifer asked with challenging eyes. "Why would you want to help him?"

With a shrug, Regina said, "I don't know. Maybe it has to do with my mother dying of cancer. Or maybe I feel guilty about the way I made Lee treat you when you were pregnant, and I want to make up for it. I was in a bad place back then, and I took it out on a person who didn't ask to be here. My issue was with Lee, and neither you nor Malcolm deserved to be caught up in our shit. I sorrier for my behavior than you will ever know. But no matter the reason why I'm here, I am fully committed to your son. You have my word that he will not lack anything he needs on my shift."

Jennifer wanted to tell this bitch to go fuck herself. No apology or sob story about her mom having cancer could make up for the lonely pregnancy she endured. The long nights she sat up sobbing with secluded fear couldn't be washed away because Nurse fucking Gee Gee felt bad.

But this wasn't about Jennifer, nor her feelings towards Regina.

Regina was right about one thing. For some inexplicably ironic reason, her son felt safe knowing that she would be there at night. During those wee hours he was most vulnerable. Jennifer couldn't stay up all night comforting him, no matter how much she would like to. As much as she loathed this woman, she couldn't deny the one fact that made the choice for her.

Jennifer believed her.

She believed that Regina was sorry. She believed that she wanted to make up for it. And most importantly, she believed that Regina would do what she was saying she would do.

After another hard stare, Jennifer cut her eyes at her. A loud breath mixed with a groan came out of her frustrated mouth.

"Fine!" She grunted out through gritted teeth. "You get to stay. But I'll be here EVERY night. Whenever you are in the room, you will wake me up. I don't want you alone with him. Got it?"

Regina was insulted at the notion that she needed a babysitter, but she conceded. Jennifer was his mother, and she had to respect that.

"Deal." She said, giving the best smile she could muster under these awkward circumstances.

Jennifer didn't return it. She glared between her and Lee before walking out of the room.

That left him and Regina standing there, alone for the first time in four years. They looked at each other with shy eyes, like they were teenagers passing each other in the halls of high school.

Lee was the first to break the ice. Rubbing his hands along the back of his neck, he said, "So, you work at the Children's hospital now."

Regina smiled and nodded. "Yeah. I needed a change of pace. You know, after..."

"Yeah."

Another moment of awkward silence ensued. After all the letters that passed between them over the years, being here in person made the words flow like molasses. There was so much to say, yet it was trapped behind a dam of past mistakes.

It was Regina who burst it open with the first meaningful question between them. "Why did you stop writing?"

Lee looked at her as if snapping out of a fog. His eyes then turned sad. "Mallie. He started to get sick and..."

She nodded with understanding, then smiled. "I get it." After a pause, she said, "I just thought that...you know...you got tired of writing me."

"Hell no." Lee said quickly. "I loved writing you. And reading your letters. They made my day."

Relief flooded Regina and swelled her heart. Her lips spread into a smile as she said, "Me too."

That very smile could've started or ended wars. Her eyes sparkled before she shyly looked away as she bit her bottom lip.

Both chuckled nervously and were left with nothing to say. Regina figured this was the time for a graceful exit, so she said, "Well, I, uhh...should get outta here. I need to sleep before my shift. I just came up here early to make sure that I caught you guys."

"Yeah, yeah; definitely." Lee said in response. Not knowing what the proper protocol here was, Lee just opened his arms to invite her in for a hug. She stepped into the space that he provided, and the two embraced awkwardly.

At least, it started off awkward.

Once his body was around hers, everything else was muscle memory from a life long ago. He squeezed her into him and felt her arms around him. Her hands rubbed his back softly with spread fingers.

"God, he smells good!" Regina thought, inhaling his aftershave.

When they finally let each other go, Regina quickly said, "I'll see you later" before practically running out of the room.

When she was safely in the elevator, all she could do was lean back against the wall and let out a jittery breath.

_________________________________________________________________

Over the next couple of months, Malcolm endured the worst life could throw him. The pain, the sickness, and the depression were a lot to ask any 5-year-old to go through. His small, bald head was a physical representation of the brutal war his body was fighting.

But he did it. The kid was strong and determined to be brave. Everyone needed him to be. His parents, his uncle Daryl (as his mom told him to call him), and Nurse Gee Gee stayed by his side. There was never a time that he was alone in that room.

As she promised, Regina was there for him. It wasn't just during her shift, either. She visited him on her days off, came to work early to make sure she spent time with him before her shift, and often snuck home cooked meals in that aligned with his diet.

During those two months, she honestly fell in love with that kid. A part of her dreaded the day he was going to be fully recovered enough to leave the hospital. In this setting, Jennifer was able to put her feelings aside. Regina got to spend time with Malcolm, and his mother allowed it. But what was going to happen when this bubble burst and the real world once again resumed? Regina couldn't very well show up at Jennifer's apartment to visit.

She had to face the cold reality that when this was all over, both Malcolm and Lee would be gone from her life. She would have to move them.

But could she? Could she go back to the lonely existence that awaited her?

Her trepidation became directly proportional to Malcolm's health. She was elated that he was pulling through so well, but the other side of that coin was equally horrific.

The week before Thanksgiving, the other shoe dropped. She came to work early, only to find the doctor in the room telling Lee, Jennifer, and Malcolm the good news. Before they noticed she was there, she ran from the room and into the nearest restroom.

And she sobbed.

The next day, Malcolm was released from the hospital. The three of them looked for Regina to say goodbye but found out that she had called in sick. Malcolm's face fell with disappointment, and they left the hospital and went home.

***

Regina sat up in her bed with her legs crossed in front of her. She was surrounded by a white sea of used tissues. On the night stand to her left was a half empty wine glass. In front of her, a TV showing her favorite movie, "The Notebook".

This movie had brought countless tears to her eyes, though tonight it was only on for background noise. Her thoughts were surrounded with Malcolm, Lee and Jennifer. What were they doing right now? How was Malcolm? Was he eating properly?

"Of course he was!" Regina bitterly thought. Jennifer was a big health food nut; at least according to Lee. That was what attracted him to her in the first place. They conjured up a sexual relationship while sweating it out at the gym. Jennifer was perfect at everything!

Regina caught herself going down that dark path and shook off that jealousy that tried to creep up on her. It often tried to worm its way back into her life when she was the most vulnerable. That was especially true as of late. But she wasn't that person anymore, and she refused to be ruled by anger and envy.

When had she become this lonely old woman? Here she was the day before Thanksgiving, watching an old movie and drinking. She wasn't cooking a meal for her family or picking up last minute groceries. She was here, in her room.

Alone.

"I even have a cat!" she thought to herself looking at Penelope, her two-year-old American Shorthair who just jumped up on her bed. Penelope purred loudly as Regina rubbed her hands lovingly through the fur.

The ringtone of her cell phone broke the air around her, momentarily jarring her from the pity party of one. She picked it up and saw an unknown number lighting up her screen. Thinking it was a bill collector, she rejected it and tossed it on her bed.

Not even ten seconds later, it rang again from the same number. Curiously, Regina answered the call.

"Hello?" she said tentatively.

"Hey...uh...is this Regina?"

"Yes. Who's calling."

After a pause, the voice answered, "It's me, Jen."

Regina was on full alert now. All her nerves were firing at once. What was wrong? Had Malcolm relapsed? Was he sick? Was it Lee?

"Oh, God! What's wrong?" she said, her voice bubbling over with panic. It had to be really bad if she was calling.

"Huh? Nothing, nothing. I was just calling because...uhh...Malcolm, Lee, and I were wondering what you were doing for Thanksgiving."

Regina heard the words, but the message was getting lost between the ears. With confusion lacing her voice, she said, "I'm sorry; come again?"

"Tomorrow; Thanksgiving. Do you have any plans?"

Her heart started to speed up. Was this...

No; it couldn't be!

"I was going to go over my sister's house, but only to get a plate of food."

There was an exhale on the other end before Jennifer said, "Malcolm has been asking about you since we left the hospital last week. He wanted to know why you haven't come to see him. I tried to explain that you had your own life, but he's...you know...a kid. So, I promised him that I would ask you to eat with us on Thanksgiving."

Tears started falling down Regina's cheeks. Her voice shimmered as she asked, "What does Lee think?"

"What do you think he thinks?"

Regina nodded, though no one could see her. In a smaller voice, she asked, "What about you?"

There was an extended pause, as if Jennifer was trying to find the words to say. When she finally spoke, she said, "I can't say that I like you, but I don't hate your guts anymore. Now Malcolm, he does like you; a lot. And, surprise, surprise; his father does too.

The only thing that matters to me at this point is the fact that you kept your word. You were there for Malcolm, and you helped all of us get through a tough time. So, as far as me and you go, we're good. It won't kill me to play nice for one dinner, and it will mean the world to my son. So, if you would join us, it would be greatly appreciated."

Stunned was the closest word to describe Regina's state of mind, yet it was eclipsed by the degree to which she was so. The only thing that would come out of her choked up mouth was, "Okay. I'll be there."

"Good. See you then."

The line disconnected, but disbelief still had Regina holding the phone up to her ear. Did what just happened really happen?

She looked over at Penelope, who stared back at her with a blank indifference that only cats can do. A giggle escaped her mouth, which turned into full on laughter.

"I should have gotten a dog." she joked before flopping her head back into the pillow.

***

THE NEXT DAY