The Whole Nine Yards Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dawn, Saturday, August 1st. As the dogs went to do their business, I was sitting in the metal mesh loveseat on the deck of The Cabin, looking out over my Town. The streetlights were still twinkling in the growing light, and I saw a train coming out of the western horizon, its glowing light announcing its presence.

I was also remembering the day I watched as Laura delivered our firstborn child. (Author's note: 'Interlude', Ch. 07.) Seven years ago this day. And as a parent, my hope was that my children would grow to do more and greater things than me. And Carole was well on her way to that.

"Good morning, Daddy." the birthday girl herself said as she came up to me.

"Good morning, Fussbudget." I said. "Happy birthday!"

"Daddy, I'm seven years old now." Carole said as she sat down next to me. "You don't have to call me that anymore."

"I have news." I said. "You're my Fussbudget, and I'm going to call you that until the day I die. So get used to it."

"O-kayyy." Carole conceded. "So what is your nickname going to be?"

"Whatever my firstborn grandchild names me." I said. "I think that's one of the Fifteen Commandments."

"There's only Ten Commandments, Daddy." Carole said.

"I think the third tablet broke." I said, remembering an old movie that had that as a joke. "But it's a Law of the Universe that the firstborn grandchild gets to name the grandparents."

"Look, Daddy!" Carole said excitedly as she looked behind her and to her left. "There's Tiger Mom! She's eating."

I looked over. We had not seen Tiger Mom since she'd had her latest batch of kittens. She was ravenously eating the food I'd just put out for her when I'd come outside. And I realized that she was instinctively living her life to raise her children, just as I was living mine to raise mine.

What a wonderful world...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Because it was Saturday and we were not having Promotions and Medals Day until Monday, we were able to throw a big party for Carole for her birthday. But before the party that afternoon, we satisfied Carole's request to go to a Chinese restaurant for her birthday.

I had reserved a back room at 'China Heaven', a very good restaurant, for lunch. We had the 'back room', which really was to the side. Present were Carole, her parents, her brothers, her sister Tasha, Paulina, Marie and her parents, and Todd, Teresa, and their kids. We'd be joined by others at The Cabin for the big birthday bash later that afternoon.

The 'wall' between the main dining area and the back room was a large aquarium with red goldfish in it. After we ate, I said "Tasha, why don't you show Teresa the 'fish trick'."

"Okay, Daddy!" Tasha said excitedly. She got up and practically ran to the fish tank. She pulled out a chair and put it in front of the tank, climbed onto the chair and stood on it, and stared into the tank. To Teresa's surprise, the fish began swimming towards the side of the tank, right to where Tasha was looking into it.

"Wowwww." Teresa said quietly, amazed. "How are you doing that?"

Carole had come up behind Teresa and said "Uncle Harvey Eckhart showed me how, and I showed Tasha. He said it's one of his proh-cess-ees at his Enlightenment Camp. All you have to do is let your mind flow to them, and let your mind say 'I am part of you, and you are part of me. What say you?', and you can hear them talk back to you in your head."

"And the fish look so happy." Teresa said, noting the seeming look on the fishes as they responded to Tasha's mind.

(Author's note: This really does work, and I've done it myself with red goldfish and other creatures. Give it a try sometime.)

A moment later, Tasha got off the chair and Carole went to the tank. The fish seemed to bunch up even more tightly as they looked towards her. Then Teresa tried it, with decidedly more mixed results.

"You have to let you mind flow, and connect with them." said Carole. "It's like when you see Amy and Alexis at the statue... you have to let them in." Teresa nodded, and the fish swam to her a little better the next time.

"So now you're a fish whisperer?" Todd asked with a grin when Teresa and the girls came back to our table.

"Why don't you go try it, smart ass." Teresa whispered back.

"I have." said Todd. "But Uncle Don is the best at it."

I said "The times I notice it are when I see little babies at a restaurant or somewhere. Sometimes I'll 'project' to a seemingly happy baby, and it will start talking or laughing happily at me."

"Wow." said Teresa. "I wouldn't have believed it if I had not seen it."

"And that is why you fail, young Jedi." I said in my best 'Darth Vader' voice. Carole and Tasha giggled mightily at that...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back at the Cabin, we were joined for Carole's party by Molly, Cindy, their mother Maggie, Callie, Betsy, and Sheriff Griswold. Pete Feeley, as well as Tanya and Jack Muscone, also came, though Tiffany and Jennifer were at some summer camp. And we had a surprise guest: Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart had come, at my and Cindy's invitation.

"Tasha and I showed Aunt Trreesa the fish trick." Carole reported as she hugged him.

"Good!" said Dr. Eckhart. "You both have very powerful, positive minds." He hugged Tasha, also.

"Daddy," said Carole, "do I get to name Grandpa Grizz, since I'm the oldest grandchild?"

"I think you just did." I replied, drawing laughter. Our Sheriff's mustaches twitched most merrily, and I noticed the softening in his old eyes, especially when Tasha came up and hugged him...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Carole raked in a good haul of gifts. Laura gave her a nice 'Sunday' dress. I gave her three 'Nancy Drew' books, knowing that most seven-year-old girls weren't at that reading level yet, but my future Detective was.

Sheriff Griswold gave her 'The Complete Sherlock Holmes', the entire Canon in one book. He also gave Carole a 'deerstalker' cap like the one Holmes wore, and Carole put it on and kept it on the whole time.

Dr. Eckhart gave Carole a gift certificate so that she and her friends could have a party at Mellow Mushroom Pizza, and Laura made sure that Carole acted happy to get it. Not that she needed to worry: Carole likes pizza, and she likes parties with her friends.

Jim gave his sister a crystal-growing set, where crystals of different colors could be created. Ian gave Carole Dr. Seuss's 'Happy Birthday to You' book. Tasha gave her sister a pillow, that came with stickers one could decorate it with. I knew the stickers wouldn't last, but the pillow would.

But it was Ross that made Carole really happy when he gave her a red Wildcats t-shirt. She put that on very quickly.

Pete gave Carole a birthstone necklace, the greenish peridot stone offset and made brighter by the black chain that held it. Carole was ecstatic, and after Pete fastened it around her neck, she turned and gave him a big hug. Hmmm, her Daddy was thinking to himself, I better watch out for those two...

Little Doug, Mike, and (technically) Jack Burke gave Carole pink 'Dreamingbox' binoculars. They were real binoculars and actually pretty good quality. And Betsy (with a little help from Mom and Mom) gave Carole a '3D Galaxy Moon Lap', which would find a revered place on Carole's bedside table for many years.

And then came Marie's gift. It was a picture book, the adult-professional-artist quality drawings impressing all of us with their excellence. They were pencil, charcoal-ish, black and white drawings, but with the clarity of good comic books.

"Seven Reasons Carole is The Greatest!" Carole read as we all watched and listened. She opened the tome and read. "Number 1: Her mom is a professor like my (Marie's) mom, and a great doctor." The drawing was one of Laura in her doctor coat, listening to Marie's heartbeat with her stethoscope. Also shown were Carole and Bowser, waiting to be examined.

Carole read: "Number 2: She takes care of her sister Tasha, and keeps her brothers in line." The adults laughed. The drawing showed Carole surrounded by Tasha in her lap, Marie to one side, then the boys all around. In front of Carole and Tasha was the redoubtable Bowser, which I suspected would be a recurring theme in the book.

Carole: "Number 3: She writes great Detective stories for Grandpa Grizz." Everyone said "Awwww." and the drawing was of Carole in a deerstalker cap, using a magnifying glass to find clues, and Marie and Sheriff Griswold reading a book. Examining his food bowl for clues was the redoubtable Bowser.

Carole: "Number 4: She survived an exploding building... with Aunt Trreesa's help." The drawing showed Teresa with Carole in her arms, racing to the pit that was beyond the edge of the page. It grew kind of quiet, then Carole got up and went over and hugged Teresa. "Thank you for rescuing me. If you hadn't, we wouldn't be having this party!" Everyone 'awww'ed. Teresa hugged Carole back, working hard not to become emotional herself.

Back to the book. Carole said "Number 5: Carole is my hero Bowser's owner." The drawing of Bowser showed him with his Police badge on his collar, and Carole and Marie petting him.

Carole said: "Number 6: Carole's dad is the Iron Crowbar. Nuff said." Everyone laughed. The drawing showed me in my trenchcoat and Tilley Hat, and holding my crowbar. Carole was at one side... holding a red crowbar, also. Marie was on my other side, and the redoubtable Bowser was sitting in front of me.

Carole said: "And Number 7: Carole is my bestest friend ever." The drawing showed Carole and Marie arm-in-arm in what appeared to be the Mountain Nest's back yard, with Bowser in front of them."

Carole hugged Marie warmly as she said "Thank you, Marie! You're my bestest friend ever, too!' All the parents were saying "Awwww." and Cindy was taking video on her iPhone.

Then Jack Burke said "Okay, okay. Time for ice cream!" The kids cheered, and we moved on to the cake and ice cream. Carole likes caramel cakes, and there were two of them as well as a red velvet cake...

Part 20 - Day of Honor

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, August 3rd, from the southwest corner of Courthouse Square, with Police Headquarters in the background. "Social Justice groups express outrage over the Police Promotions and Medals Ceremonies!"

Bettina began: "Many groups have taken to the Internet to slam the Town & County Police Department, who intend to award a large number of medals to Police Officers that violently crushed peaceful protests and exercised Police brutality against People of Color. Dr. Lionel Carmela, head of the University's Political Science Department, had this to say. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Dr. Carmela saying "It's just sickening that not only is Commander Donald Troy leading his shock troops in exercises of Police brutality against peaceful black protesters, he's going to give them medals for it, as well. The sooner the Union's lawsuits are acted upon and Commander Troy is fired, the happier... and safer... our County's citizens, especially People of Color, will be."

Back to Bettina live: "Social Justice group are planning to march in protest against the Police during the ceremony at City Hall at 11:00am. Channel Two News has learned that at least one Medal of Valor will be awarded. The Social Justice groups say that disrupting the ceremony will draw attention to the plight of People of Color being systematically brutalized by Commander Donald Troy and the TCPD..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Really?" Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle moaned as she, me, Captain Tanya Muscone, and Sheriff Griswold watched in my office. "Do we really have to deploy armored Officers for this?"

"Relax." said Sheriff Griswold. "Governor Jared is sending State Patrol and National Guard assets to help us out."

"And I won't be surprised if these protests don't materialize." I replied.

"Why do you say that, sir?" asked Tanya.

"No Media presence." I said. "They're all in Wilmington, Delaware now, which has become the Center of the Leftwing Looneyverse. Everything you heard in Bettina's hate-filled propaganda piece was pure KXTC, trying to keep the narrative going."

"To hell with them." said Teresa Croyle. "The only mystery for me today is who is going to put the Medal of Valor around Ellen Brooks's neck."

"And your guess is?" I replied.

"You." Teresa said, to me. "What I don't understand is why Kalsu is getting his medal at the ceremony at City Hall, especially since the Council downgraded it."

Sheriff Griswold said "It's something of an 'in your face' move. And I have a few more of those ready." That caused me to peer hard at Our Sheriff...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00am. The Police Force assembled on the bleachers behind Headquarters. Only KFXU and the Town & County Examiner sent any Media coverage.

"O-kayyyy," said Police Chief Sean Moynahan, "this is going to be a verrry busy ceremony, so let's get started."

Indeed it was busy. First, eight new Police Officers were sworn in. Four White, two Hispanic, and two Black. All of them male.

Next came Certificates of Achievement and Certificates of Appreciation. Jenna Stiles was awarded a Certificate of Appreciation for her successful effort to get us Lester 'Penis' Holder's burner phone numbers from Bettina. Though they were not here, all of the members of the Guardians of Justice MC that had been deputized as Agents of the Law, and had helped subdue rioters and end the 'Police Free Zone', were awarded Certificates of Appreciation.

Then came Achievement Medals. All of the Officers who participated in our actions against violent protesters, be it crushing the 'Police Free Zone', crushing the 'Juneteenth' protests on Courthouse Square, and of course the siege of the Block House, were awarded Achievement Medals, and it took a while to give them out. Then Cindy Ross was awarded a Public Safety Achievement Medal for her role in securing Lester Holder's burner phone numbers. Cindy received strong applause as the Sheriff pinned the medal on her uniform.

Auxiliary Officer Terry Halston received the Police Commendation Medal for his quick thinking and fast action in using a drone to stop gunfire directed at the Gunddottar rescue team, making the rescue's success possible. As Lt. Mary Milton pinned the medal on Halston's civilian suit jacket, a huge "RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!" shout came out of the bleachers. I suspected the SWAT Team was behind that one. I also suspected that meant as much to Ranger Halston as the medal itself.

Corporal Hicks and Sr. Patrolman Johnson received Police Commendation Medals for their attempt to rescue Inga Gunddottar. And Officer Kevin Buchannan was awarded a Public Safety Commendation Medal by Our Sheriff for his excellent de-escalation of the 'McElwane incident', as the first incident was now being called, and also for his support in other things. The applause for him was very strong as I pinned the medal on his uniform jacket.

And the Sheriff had one more Public-Safety-level Commendation Medal. I'd put nothing in for myself, but our Iron Klingon ambushed me. It was for stopping McCombs from killing that unarmed black man, and I strongly suspected Sheriff was awarding it to spit in the Union's face. The applause for me was very strong, also to the Union's chagrin.

And I had been shocked to learn that there were NO Purple Orders being awarded to any Police Officers, despite all they'd done to stop the violent protests. As I announced that, I commended the Force on using their training and trusting their equipment to make that feat possible.

"Okayyy." said the Chief as the ceremonies were concluded. "Eleven o'clock, in front of City Hall. Be there. It will be an a-MAIZE-ing dayyyy..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11:00am, Monday, August 3rd. I didn't lie when I said it would be a long time before any more Fire Department or Police Medals of Valor. (Author's note: 'Teresa's Christmas Finale', Ch. 03.) I may have just failed to mention the first-ever MOVs awarded to EMTs in our Town & County.

To no one's surprise, Susan Weston and Kelly Carnes were boycotting the ceremony that was being held on the portico of City Hall. But to his credit, Reginald B.F. Lewis did appear. No stage had been built, as experts had said that attendance would be light. They were wrong: over 2000 people showed up and crowded onto the western end of Courthouse Square.

The four streets that made up Courthouse Square had been shut off to all vehicle traffic, but that did not prevent the Fire Department Ladder from bringing EMS Paramedics Ellen Brooks and Kevin Randolph to the site in a parade around the Square. The Booker T. Washington High School Band led the way with their renowned Drum & Bugle Corps, followed by the rest of their band and elements of the Town High School Band.

As we took our places on the portico, EMS Assistant Chief Zoe Singer came up to me and gave me a huge hug. "Thank you for this." she said. "I know it was you driving these awards. You have no idea what this means to me."

"I think I do. It means a lot to me, too." replied the only two-time MOV recipient in Town or County history, that being me.

Mayor Daniel Allgood came to the podium to begin the ceremony: "We are honored to be here today, to recognize three exceptionally brave Public Safety Officers for their acts of tremendous courage in the line of duty, resulting in the saving of a Police Officer's life. And now I'll hand it over to Sheriff Antonio Griswold."

After making his opening remarks, we began executing what we were calling 'the Great Compromise'. Medals of Valor were traditionally awarded by previous MOV recipients, if there were any that were alive. Ergo, Dr. Cordell, and Zoe Singer as well, were 'excluded' from making the presentations.

The Paramedics had suggested they wanted me, l'il ol' me, to make the presentations... and yes, if you haven't figured it out, there were TWO Medals of Valor being awarded this day. It seemed that they remembered that I'd given one of them my armor. Teresa was reading a joint citation, as their citations were identical in their language.

I had suggested that Our Sheriff, who had led the drive to reconstitute the EMS, make the presentations. And then someone asked which one of the EMTs would be awarded the MOV first. And so, we compromised.

First, Robert Kalsu was awarded the Public Safety Legion of Excellence with Valor Device. It should've been at least a Police Cross or more, Teresa and I agreed, but the Council Republicans agreed to lower his award to get Kevin Randolph the MOV. Lt. Micah Rudistan held the box as Captain Tanya P. Muscone pinned the medal on Kalsu's uniform jacket... they were the previous recipients of the award, and a new tradition was forming.

Dr. Cordell's participation was in pinning the Purple Order on the uniform jacket of Paramedic Ellen Brooks, assisted by Assistant EMS Chief Zoe Singer. Astute Detectives were realizing that it was a chest drape, and not a ribbon necklace... and we all knew what that meant.

And then, Paramedics Brooks and Randolph were brought up, standing side by side. And as Teresa read the joint proclamation for them, they became the first persons to be awarded MOVs together in the same ceremony. Ellen Brooks won the coin flip, so I draped the MOV around her neck as Sheriff Griswold simultaneously put an MOV medal with its red ribbon around Kevin Randolph's neck. The Sheriff and I then stepped back and joined the applause as the two EMS heroes received the tremendous ovation they had earned in the most harrowing of circumstances...

Part 21 - Epilogue

6:00pm, Monday, August 3rd. The MOV recipients (Sheriff Griswold, Me, Cindy, Teresa, Roy Easley, and now Ellen Brooks and Kevin Randolph) were having celebratory beef nachos and beer on the outside deck of the Cop Bar.