All Comments on 'The Witches of Slievenamon'

by Tonyspencer

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You should consider writing a proposal to turn your story into a TV series. It's wonderful. :-) !!!

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 1 year ago

Hi, Tony,

.

Yay! I finished your story! It’s quite long and wonderfully convoluted, making me unsure of a few story details, my rating for it, and how detailed I want to be in this comment. Here goes!

.

The characters and their backgrounds were richly developed as were their surroundings and it fit well in the SF&F category. It felt like Ireland (based on my admittedly wonderful but all-too-limited experience there); however I was disappointed that the love Richard felt for Etain wasn’t developed in as much depth as everything else (and particularly in comparison to Ella since we were shown that in flashback. Instead, they meet, there are bits and pieces pointing that way, Etain comes clean, and then “boom,” he accepts he loves her and asks her father for her hand all in just a week or so. We’re show later that it works out for them but for such an imaginative story, I really wish this particular part had been as deep and detailed as the rest so I could have been as engaged in wanting them together. Maybe I just missed something but it seemed like an opportunity for this to be a 4.9* favorited story like “The Archer” rather than a 4.5. Yes, I rounded up (so it probably doesn’t matter) because it really was a very good tale despite my reservation. Thanks for writing and sharing!

MidwestSouthernerMidwestSoutherner8 months ago

My sister has recently helped me see more of our ancestral legends and history.

Now your story, giving what may be wholly fictional yet revealing insight into our ancestry. Except she calls it SummerLand, not the OtherWorld.

Beautiful story, as I feel it is a LOVE story. I thank you for not making it an erotic romp through the world of gods and malevolent spirits. (Your image of the Tuath de as within a star - Whipping Star???)

Now to visit the ancestral home in Tipperary and visit Slievenamon. Can a wheelchair make it up the path?

TonyspencerTonyspencer8 months agoAuthor

Thank you, MidwestSoutherner, for your kind words about my little story. I guess most stories are built around a love story, but putting a story with so much fantasy content in the romance section wasn’t fair on readers looking for "real world" romances. My ancestral home is also Tipperary, Thurles in particular, which my family left 110 years ago. I did have had a chance to visit, about 30 years ago and it was like stepping back into a Time Machine. Not sure if a wheelchair is the best way to get up the Mount, but you could make it to the first cairn, to be sure, and then wheelchairs wouldn't matter, perhaps….

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTonyspencer@Tonyspencer
Writer of romance and fantasy, children’s stories, sports reports, and local history. Retired. Have previously entered stories on here as Spencerfiction, but cannot access that account despite repeated tries. So I’ll enter new stories on here. My Dragonskin Chronicles Book 2 s...