The Wolf and The Moon Ch. 02

Story Info
Heroes honored in Teresa's hometown.
9.8k words
4.84
2.1k
3

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 12/05/2023
Created 12/02/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

There may or may not be discussion of political issues in my stories. If you are a Snowflake that feels you need to be protected from any mention of politics, then click the Back button now, and never attempt to read any of my stories ever again. You've been warned.

***

Dedicated to all of America's Special Forces.

Part 5 - Trouble In Paradise

6:00am local time, Sunday, April 24th. I woke up feeling as if I'd slept in... and with the time zone change, I had. I got up and took a very hot shower, but a very quick one: despite Todd's assurances that the water heating system was excellent and there was plenty of hot water, I wanted to use as little as possible so everyone would have enough.

I dressed in my semi-formal uniform: white shirt, black necktie, creased pants with two thin stripes of light blue piping on the side. My jacket was on its hanger, which I'd hung on one of the stair railings. It was adorned with thick light blue piping near the end of the sleeves, my 'fruit salad' of ribbons over the right pocket, and two gleaming silver stars on the epaulettes on each shoulder. And the Medal of Valor with oak leaf cluster was in the inner pocket.

Breakfast of bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits and sausage, egg, and cheese croissants would arrive at 7:30. In the meantime, I got out my iPad and sat down in the living room and activated my TCPD app. As I read the duty logs, NCPD Chief Molly Evans came in. She had hung her uniform jacket on its hanger on a peg in the hall wall. Her jacket displayed medals instead of just ribbons, including her NCPD Medal of Valor. Armed with her iPad, she sat down next to me.

After a moment, she said "If you get a chance, check out the NCPD duty logs. Our new rookie Officer filed a very interesting report."

I looked it up, seeing NCPD Officer Neumann's report, which detailed not only the pursuit of Lawrence Watson's vehicle, but the aggressive and threatening actions by TCPD Officer McElwane towards Neumann.

"Wow." I said. I tried to find McElwane's report, but there wasn't one. Mullen Grant had not filed a report, either. I began typing an email.

Teresa came into the room, also in her semi-formal uniform, with a skirt and black high-heel pumps instead of pants. She'd also hung her jacket and MOV on a hanger on a staircase pole. "What's going on?" she asked after taking one look at me and Molly.

"Incident back home." I said. "NCPD Officer in hot pursuit of a Dodge Charger, which made it over the line into our County."

"Football player's Charger? University blue in color?" Teresa asked. As I nodded, the Iron Wolf said "They all have them, and they speed like hell. Damn good thing I wasn't there, especially if the driver was drunk."

Molly said "According to my Officer's Police report, the driver blew 0.02, but Don says the TCPD Officers have not filed their reports yet."

"Who were our guys?" Teresa asked.

Molly said "Neumann... that's my guy... put in his report that the TCPD Officer named 'McElwane' yelled at him, Neumann to leave. Then McElwane literally unsnapped his gun's holster and put his hand on his weapon. Neumann saw McElwane's name tag on his uniform. He didn't see who the other Officer was. The driver of the Charger was a guy named Noah Ruggs, and the car tag is registered to Lawrence Watson. Neumann never saw the passenger in the Charger; he stayed in the car, and the TCPD Officers refused to say who the passenger was."

I said "I don't know why, but Mullen Grant was the Officer assigned to patrol with McElwane." A moment later, I muttered "Crap." As all eyes turned to me, I said "I'm sending emails to Myron and Mary Milton, telling them to seek out and preserve any data from any dashcams, Officer-cams, street cams and the cameras around the Lakeside Inn & Suites and McGhillie's Golf Course, including NCPD Officer Neumann's Officer-cam and dashcam."

Me; "If anything shows McElwane making the stop of the vehicle, the Mighty Miltons are to send emails to Captain Hewitt and Lieutenant Davis, cc:'d to the Chief, me, and both of you ladies, telling Hewitt and Davis to be prepared to fully brief me Monday morning on McElwane's traffic stop of the Charger."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Breakfast arrived. Little kids and big kids (Todd) came down from upstairs. Todd was wearing a well-fitting suit and tie. Little Jack Burke was emulating his uncle by wearing a similar suit and tie that fit him well. Todd's boys Doug and Mike were in their 'Sunday best' black sportscoats, shirts (but no ties) and pants, and black sneakers with white soles, which was 'fashion' these days.

Paulina was wearing her pink skirt and jacket with a cream-color blouse and matching high heel pumps. Tasha was also wearing a pink dress, with white stockings and black Mary-Jane shoes. Laura was wearing a white blouse, Navy blue skirt and jacket, and matching blue stockings and blue high heel pumps. On her lapel, Laura wore something I'd never seen her wear before: an enameled miniature ribbon that denoted her CIA Distinguished Intelligence Cross.

Ian Ross was wearing a plaid sportscoat, black pants, white shirt... and black clip-on bow tie, which was beginning to be a trademark for him. And then things went downhill from there (not really). Ross was wearing a cream-colored mock-turtleneck pullover shirt, same color as Paulina's blouse, with a black jacket and pants. Jim was wearing clothing similar to Doug and Mike, but with normal Sunday-best shoes. The problem was that his mother had required him to wear a tie, and as a result his face denoted his misery.

Laura was not very happy that Jim was displaying some attitude. And my wife's mood became considerably worse when Carole came down. My Clan Crowbar heir was wearing her white jeans, white tennis shoes, and white pullover sweater with the Clan Crowbar logo on the front and back, similar to what she'd worn at the Christmas Concert.

"Carole!" Laura exclaimed. "Go put on your dress! These are important ceremonies!"

"I know, Mommy." Carole replied. "That's why I'm wearing this."

"Don't you backtalk me, young lady!" Laura said sternly. "Now do what I told you---"

"Hold on." I said, intervening. "Carole, go get your breakfast biscuit before someone else eats it." As Carole rushed to the kitchen, I said to Laura "Can we talk for a minute?"

Laura was glaring daggers at me, but followed me, and we went out onto the front porch. There was a bit of a chill in the air, which would burn off as the sun rose and climbed into the sky. There was a -lot- more chill in my wife's demeanor.

"What the hell, Don?" Laura whispered angrily. "How can you let her go to these ceremonies dressed like that?"

"She's fine." I said, having an idea of why Carole had dressed that way. "What is -wrong-, Laura? Why are you so angry with Carole?"

"Her attire is -not- fine." Laura fired back.

I said "And you ripped her for asking that question during the tour yesterday. And you were harsh when you told her to turn off her music at the stargazing. Yeah, it could've bothered others, but why put her on blast for that?"

"She needs to learn manners and consideration for others." Laura said angrily. "And I told her that she needs to keep her mouth shut on tours like that. Children are to be seen and not heard."

"Did you get onto Jim for asking a question during that same tour?" I asked. Laura almost recoiled, and I saw the shock on her face, which became anger... well, maybe determination to be right and to enforce her will upon me.

"Jim has much better manners than Carole does." Laura spat. "Carole has to learn manners, and her place---"

We were jarred by the sound of the opening of the door. Teresa's face appeared and she said "Y'all better get back in here and get some coffee." She made a point not to leave us alone again.

"We'll hash this out later." I said as I turned for the door and went inside. Laura glared at me, but seeing that I was done talking about the issue for the time being, she followed me inside...

Part 6 - Honors And Remembrances

9:45am local time, Sunday, April 24th. BOW Enterprises buses, which were more like large vans, picked us up and carried us to the town square, which was much larger than our Town & County's Courthouse Square. In front of the newly refurbished and expanded Public Safety Headquarters was what very likely was a statue, covered by a tarp. Another similarly tarp-covered statue was in front of City Hall, across the huge grass lawn and way down from us.

And rows of tables were set up in the middle of the grass lawn, with checkered red and white plastic tablecloths. Seating for several hundred people. Food was being cooked on grills somewhere out of our sight, and would be placed on the serving table at the far (south) end of the field, near City Hall and the Cemetery.

We were reunited with the others from our Town & County contingent. Sheriff Griswold had stayed with local Police Chief (and former TCPD Chief) Harold Bennett, and they came up to us. As everyone except Cindy greeted Chief Bennett and talked about Police things in both locations, Chief Moynahan came up with the former local Police Chief. Teresa peeled off and (literally) pulled Todd over to talk to them; after all, that woman had been the Policewoman that had helped Teresa on the most horrible night of Teresa's life, the Christmas Eve where Teresa's sister had died and her father had gone insane.

And what's more... the older woman was wearing the uniform of this county's Sheriff! She explained that she won the special election that had been called by the Governor of the State. We all congratulated her, and I took photos of her, Chief Moynahan, and Teresa with my iPhone.

I spoke with some of the Police Officers I'd met when we were last here (Author's note: 'Centuries'), and introduced Laura to them. Tanya and Jack Muscone and their kids had arrived, and everyone was examining Tanya's Tank, her tracked wheelchair, with great curiosity.

My mother Phyllis and Teresa's Aunt Clarissa came up. Clarissa was in a normal wheelchair, and therefore stayed mostly on the sidewalks. Teresa ended up going over and introducing her and my mother to people.

Molly was watching over Jim as well as Ross and Ian. Cindy, Tim Jenkins, and their son Benjamin were walking around talking with everyone. Callie took charge of Betsy Ross. She (Callie) was going to hang out with Laura, who was obliging about that but began separating herself from me and Carole, Paulina and Tasha. And I realized why: Laura was trying to keep Carole and Betsy separated so that people would not see the uncanny resemblance of the two girls with each other.

Alison McFarland came over to me. "My father will be here in a little while. He's got Secret Service protection, and he doesn't want everyone else to have to deal with that, so he'll limit his public exposure."

I nodded, then looked at Alison's small but powerful videocamera and said "I see you are doing some work today, as well."

"I'm going to do a follow-up of that story I did on Admiral Cordell and Teresa." Alison said. (Author's note: 'Centuries', Ch. 03; 'Sugar and Spice', Ch. 04.) "I know, I know... KXTC wouldn't be caught dead reporting on a positive, feel-good story like this. But I'm not them. And I think it's going to be great."

"It will be." I said. "It will be, I'm sure." I caught the slightest gleam in Alison's eye as I said that. Hmmm, what does she know, and what is she up to? I thought to myself.

I had to put that into its compartment of the mind. Other groups were arriving, people who were not with us. I noticed Admiral Leonard R. Cordell, in his white Admiral uniform, hustle over to one bus, and by 'hustle' I meant the old man was all but running. And I saw why, as I recognized several of the old men, some in military uniforms, as they disembarked. They had been at the ceremony when Teresa's father had been posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. (Author's note: 'Her Last Bow', Ch. 02.)

"Those old guys want to meet you, Daddy." Carole said to me.

"Okay." I said. We moseyed over as those that knew Admiral Cordell exchanged hugs with him, ranks notwithstanding.

As we got to them, Cordell said "For those of you who have not met him, this is Police Commander Don Troy, the Iron Crowbar. And that's his daughter, the one our Captain's daughter Teresa saved." They began coming up to me in a line, shaking hands with me, and also with Carole, who greeted them respectfully and politely.

One of the old, retired Green Berets, wearing his uniform, introduced three much younger Green Berets, who were in the active Army. One of them was the old man's grandson, and his old eyes beamed with pride as the introductions were made. I fleetingly thought to myself that I hoped to feel that same pride for my children and grandchildren if and when I made it to that age. But I digress.

A moment later Teresa and Todd came up with their boys. The sheer reverence the old men had for Teresa's father was evident in the way they greeted her. She introduced her family, making sure to say that Todd had arranged much of the festivities over the weekend. Todd said it was the least he could do for 'The Wolf', which was Teresa's father's call sign in Viet Nam, and those who had served with him.

Meanwhile, I was distracted as I saw Town & County Police Chaplain Alberto Romano come up. He was wearing his TCPD uniform with ribbons, and a black shirt and his white clerical collar beneath it. "Hello, Father." I said. "I'm surprised but not surprised to see you here today."

After greeting me and Carole, Father Romano said "I've been in this area all week, sir."

"Interesting place for a vacation." I said. Romano knew what I was hinting at.

"Yes, I do need to explain some things." he said. "And I have some important information to give you. But after all this is done."

"If it's that important, let's go talk about it now." I said.

"It's more important than our lives on this earth." Father Romano said. "But it can wait a few hours, even a day. Perhaps on the plane ride home, if I can take a seat on your plane?"

"Certainly." I said...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 10:30am, the Mayor of the town and his aides began herding us towards the Public Safety building. The crowd had swelled to over 100 people as townspeople joined us for the ceremonies to take place.

"I want to thank all of you for being here today." said the Mayor into the microphone he was holding, his voice booming out over the mobile sound system setup. "Through the generosity of some of our new businesses, as well as the increased tax base revenue as we grow, we have been able to renovate and expand our Police, Fire, EMT, and Sheriff's Departments. They now have up-to-date lifesaving and crimefighting tools."

Everyone applauded, then the Mayor went on: "We are honored to name the refurbished and expanded Public Safety Complex after a great man that once called our town home, who went to war on behalf of our Nation, posthumously earning the Medal of Honor, and who protected our town as Sheriff for many years." He named Teresa's father, and everyone applauded.

Then the Mayor said "We are fortunate to have his daughter Teresa with us today. Commander Croyle, would you come up for the unveiling of the statue?"

Teresa came up, but then surprised everyone by saying into the microphone "I know he was my father, and I greatly respect his military service. And that service is why it would not be right for me to do this. This honor belongs to the great soldiers and the sailor that served with my father in war, that fought by his side, and who saved many lives by their actions. Admiral Cordell, would you please come up and do this?"

"I'd love to." said Admiral Cordell as he came up and took the mic from Teresa. As she attempted to retreat, he said "Stay up here with me. And I'd like to ask all of my fellow Vietnam veterans to come up." They did so, and stood alongside as Cordell and Teresa pulled on the ropes to remove the tarp.

As it fell, the bronze statue of a tall, well-built bald man appeared. His hands were on his hips like the Superman statue in Metropolis, Illinois. He had a wide, open-mouth smile that Teresa did not inherit. He looked young, the youth of his days in war, but he was attired in the uniform of the local county's Sheriff, which he had been.

I recognized the source of this portrayal of Teresa's father. When Alison McFarland had done her special on Admiral Cordell, she'd given him and Teresa photos of the Captain and his Corpsman. The statue was straight off of that photograph. (Author's note: 'Sugar & Spice', Ch. 04.)

As everyone applauded, I saw the tears in the eyes of all the old veterans, including Admiral Cordell. Teresa had that inscrutable look on her attractive face that I could never quite decipher.

The Mayor read the plaque on the stone base of the statue, which was six feet high. It was entitled "THE WOLF", and underneath that headline, words told the story of him posthumously receiving the Medal of Honor during his combat service in Viet Nam, then being Sheriff of this county.

The Mayor introduced Henrique Fallon, the sculptor of the bronze statue. He was French, literally from France, and he looked surprisingly young, in his late 20s. He had wavy black hair and a pencil mustache and goatee that reminded me of the ubiquitous Guy Fawkes/Anonymous face on the masks. He seemed to always be smiling, and he talked in a cheerful tone... almost Rudistan-'ish' in quality.

In good English but with a French accent, he said "It izzz my honor to have been asked to create this sculpture of ze great warrior 'Ze Wolf'. And I have these smaller statues that I created to test the molds, which I present to Ze Capitan's Corpsman who saved hi life, and his surviving daughter, ze great Police hero, Commandant Croyle."

Everyone applauded as Admiral Cordell and Teresa came up and received their statues, which were about a foot high including the bases. Then Police Chief Bennett came up and said "We'll be having groups coming through for tours during the course of the day. Please sign up for a time with the Officers at the door. I'd like to ask everyone here who is or has been a Law Enforcement Officer or First Responder, of this jurisdiction or any other, to come on through first."

As we went through, Tanya and I noticed and discussed the new interrogation room entry system, where one door had to be closed and locked for the other to open. We agreed on where that came from: TCPD Headquarters. Their processing system was excellent, maybe even better than ours. And while their Intel Center wasn't quite as good as ours (and they had no equivalent of the Mighty Miltons), it was modern and up-to-date, with nice new computers.

The Fire Department had two new Engines and two new Trucks augmenting the two older ones that were still in service. And two ambulances, new and very well equipped, joined two older ambos that had been freshly equipped with the best equipment available.

Once we came back out, we were directed to head towards the Public Library, which was directly across the field from the Public Safety Complex. Henrique Fallon came up to us and I spoke to him in fluent French, which surprised him. As we talked in French, he told me that he had studied at The Sorbonne, that he knew Dr. Juanita Rivera, the Romance Languages professor at the University, and that he hoped the commissions on the statues here would help his career take off.