The Wood Knot Warrior

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He left his room and went back downstairs. When he reached the kitchen, he saw the remaining kitchen staff, but Maggie was missing, of course.

"Good day, ladies," he said gently.

"Ah! You're back!" Hildy gasped, and some timid smiles were aimed his way. She was second in charge next to Maggie, and the others looked to her for guidance.

"Uh, yes. I'm sorry I wasn't here this morning. I was dealing with... other issues. I heard from my father that Maggie is recovering. That's good new--"

Cecily yelped and dropped some firewood she was carrying. Everyone looked at her. "It just appeared! All sudden like!"

Dell looked to the corner where she was pointing, and leaning up against the wall was the sword in its scabbard.

"Shit!" Dell snapped, and eyes locked on him. He quickly calmed his expression. "I'm sorry about that. This was the issue I've been dealing with since last night. The... thing follows me." He'd been about to call it the damned sword, but that might be too accurate and frightening for the ladies. "Just ignore it. It seems to want to be close at hand. Not sure how helpful it's going to be with making the pot pies today."

That got some weak smiles from the kitchen staff.

He rubbed his hands together and took a calming breath. "Let's make pies!"

-=-

As Dell requested, Kharza knocked on the door and heard a voice calling out for her to enter. She went inside and closed the door behind her.

"How did it go with the Commander?" Karter immediately asked.

She nodded. "This man was far less excitable than his underlings. I thought we might have to fight our way back before he arrived. These city guardsmen were like frightened children."

"Damn," Karter cursed quietly.

Kharza continued. "The Commander suggested Dell remain here until the wizard returns from his trip to the Mistveil Woods. He first suggested we travel there--"

"No. Dell can't go there," Karter immediately said.

"Why?" Kharza asked.

The man stared at her for a moment. "His mother was shunned when she married me. She fully accepted that her people would no longer accept her. What we didn't know was that shunning would include her child."

Karter looked closer at Kharza. "How did you come to be fighting four Orc warriors so far from home?"

She nodded. "They killed my family. They were part of a war band that wiped out my entire village. I was hunting this group down, one by one, driving them west. These four finally had enough and ambushed me. I might not have survived if it weren't for Dell's help last night. I am grateful."

"You understand, he's not a warrior and should never try to be," Karter said.

"Why?" Kharza asked.

Karter frowned. "The prejudice against Halflings. Too many people fear him already. He's so bloody big and stronger than most. Then there's his temper. He's been dealing with that his whole life. He got into a lot of trouble when he was young and would have ended up dead or imprisoned if I hadn't put him to work in the kitchen. He discovered he enjoyed it, and now he's almost at a master's level in there. You should watch him. It's inspiring!"

Kharza nodded as she saw love and respect in the man's eyes. That brought up another question for her. "Why didn't you get your son laid when he was of age?"

Karter snorted explosively at the unexpected question, then stared at the female. "I tried to arrange for Dell to have this experience, but he's too dense to recognize the signs of interest. I'm worried he isn't interested in sex."

Kharza laughed. "You no longer need to worry. Dell enjoyed sex very much and is even developing some skills!" She saw Karter admiring her tits. She thought he was attractive enough and seemed confident in himself. He might be fun. "Would you like to fuck?"

Karter looked at her in surprise as he realized that's how she'd approached his son. The blunt and direct method had finally clued his son in. He nodded to her and went to lock his door.

She bent over his desk and looked back at him. "Do you know how to pleasure a woman with your mouth? Dell is most skilled at that." Karter balked, and she snorted derisively. She turned to face him. "You're not stuffing a dry cock into me." She knelt, pulled his pants down, then took his erection into her mouth.

Karter was nervous about her tusks, but she quickly brought him to full strength while making him sloppy wet in the process.

She returned to her position, bent over his desk, and he stepped behind her. He pushed his cock inside, and she grunted. He began to pump.

"Harder," she said.

He sped up, slapping her ass with his hips.

"Yes, do it harder," she grunted.

Soon, she began to moan, and Karter was becoming a sweaty mess, trying to hammer her harder without breaking himself in two in the process. She finally came, and he quickly followed. He slumped exhausted over her back, panting to catch his breath.

"You were pretty good, but Dell was better. His cock is longer and thicker. He's stronger, and he also used his mouth on me--"

"Enough!" Karter gasped in dismay, pushing himself up and away from her body, holding his hands up to stop her critique of his performance. He realized her brutal honesty wasn't always welcome. "Thanks for the fun and for keeping an eye on Dell."

"Do you have any work for me?" Kharza asked.

Karter considered that and realized he could no longer allow Dell to work as a bouncer. Not while he carried the sword. "You can be security for the bar until Dell can get rid of the sword. The pay isn't very good, two silvers a month plus room and board."

"It is enough," she said with a smile.

"Speak to Dell. Tell him I gave you his bouncer job. He'll show you how we do it. Do you know about the inn's neutral territory state?"

Kharza nodded with a smile. "No fighting in the Inn."

"Right. Dell will also show you where you can sleep." He gestured to her pack by the door.

"Thank you." She collected her gear and left his office.

Karter flopped back in his chair, exhausted. Having sex with an Orc was an interesting experience, but he was glad it was now off his bucket list.

His ego had taken enough of a beating.

-=-

Kharza found Dell in the kitchen and stood leaning against the doorway, admiring his concentration and the movements of his hands as he prepared a series of pot pies. She spotted the sword and scabbard leaning against the far wall.

One of the ladies working with him glanced back toward her and screamed.

Dell spun in place with a spatula in his hand, then relaxed when he saw her. "Cecily, there's no need to be frightened." He looked at the others and saw they were all staring at the big green Orc female in the doorway. "This is Kharza. She's a friend I met last night." He looked at her. "Did you speak to my father?"

She grinned at him. "Yes. He told me to tell you I'm going to be taking over your bouncer duties."

Dell considered that for a moment, then nodded.

"He said you'd show me how it's done here at the inn."

He nodded and looked at Hildy. "I'll be right back."

He guided Kharza to the bar and walked her through her responsibilities and how they dealt with unwelcome guests. "The official policy is no fighting within the building. You're allowed to throw the rowdy guests out the front door into the street, but while inside the building, we are polite but firm." She nodded, and he guided her from the bar to step out the front door onto the wrap-around porch. He demonstrated tossing a drunk. The sword and scabbard suddenly appeared on his hip. He frowned down at it, then stepped back inside with a sigh.

"I understand the job. It seems easy enough to me, and I can be polite but firm," she said, and Dell smiled. "Where do you sleep as I'll share your bed. You are much better at sex than your father."

Dell held up his hands. "I didn't need to know that... but thanks." He knew he could get used to her bold nature and realized he had no objections to sharing his bed with her. He pointed to the private door. "This leads upstairs to the owner's personal bedrooms. Mine is at the end of the hall." With a nod, he headed back to the kitchen, unbuckling the belt for the scabbard on the way.

Kharza carried her pack upstairs and put it in Dell's room. She looked around and found it comfortable enough. The bed would easily fit them both.

She went back downstairs and settled herself on a chair on the porch to relax, content for the first time in a long time.

She missed her daughter and her mate and likely would for the rest of her days. But now, for the first time since that awful morning she woke under the dead bodies of her friends and family, she could see a future.

Chapter 5

Ghelli'Talesh's village doctor, Nerell, knelt by the four soldiers who were in a terrible state. They'd spent the night lying in their sick and waste on the lawn of the roadhouse and had only been discovered by the owner when he opened the doors at dawn. He'd immediately sent a runner to fetch the doctor.

Now that he'd assessed them, all he'd been able to determine was that they were weakening, but he couldn't detect anything natural about the symptoms. He turned to the runner.

"Fetch Wizard Lerrisen and his guest from Grennesh." The youth rushed away.

There was nothing the doctor could do for these Humans.

-=-

Wizard Lerrisen caught the look Nerell cast as he compared the two wizards as they approached. He was quickly getting used to this as it was the same everywhere he took his Human counterpart in the village. His people were comfortable with him as he looked like the epitome of a wise Wood Elf elder with his tall slim frame, long limbs, and graceful hands. His long white hair was intricately braided at his temples to keep his hairless face free from stray locks. The wizard robes he wore were made of the same cloth the people wore, so he blended in.

Morgan Ducane was not what the Wood Elves expected a wizard to look like. He was much shorter than Lerrisen and broad-shouldered with the denser musculature of his race. He almost looked like a warrior rather than a wielder of magic. The Human's long black hair was also braided at his temples like his was, but the lower half of his face was covered by a dense black beard. His eyes were a lively, deep blue, constantly assessing his surroundings. Everyone could see the sharp intelligence in those eyes, which was a trait of wizards no matter the race.

The moment they arrived, they quickly consulted with the doctor, heard his assessment, then went to see the dire condition of the four men.

"It's a curse and a particularly nasty one," Morgan asserted in his gravelly voice and received a nod from Lerrisen.

He cast his own assessment spell over the four and identified the source. "It's old magic. I haven't seen anyone use one of these in a very long time because its use was banned. I can counter it." He paused as he prepared the canceling spell. Surveying his target, he cast the spell, and they heard a subtle snap as the curse dissipated.

Lerrisen continued. "The men will recover, but they'll be bedridden for at least a week. That will delay your return to Grennesh, my friend. The soldiers are unconscious and will probably remain this way for a day or so. Unfortunately, we won't be able to question them about who placed the curse on them until their recovery reaches a state of lucidity."

He turned to the owner of the roadhouse, Kraphlee. "Please get them cleaned up and put into their beds. They'll need to be fed light broth for two days. Then bread and thin stews."

The older male didn't look very happy. "I don't have the staff to assign as nurses for these soldiers."

Lerrisen gestured toward the road leading to the village. "Haleth has the potion shop not far from here. Let her know I'm calling in a favor and asking for four of her workers to assist you, but not Eryllis."

The owner nodded and left to speak with his closest neighboring business.

Morgan looked at Lerrisen. "Something wrong with this Eryllis?" he asked curiously.

The wizard sighed. "She has anger management issues."

Morgan gestured to his guards and raised a bushy eyebrow, but the Wood Elf wizard shook his head.

"This curse hasn't been used in centuries. She's too young to know it, and her grandmother and I have an agreement she won't be taught magic. With her rage problem, that would lead to a road of ruin."

Morgan nodded as he agreed. Rage issues and magic use always led to trouble.

It looked like he would get to spend an extra week with his friend. He didn't have any pressing duties at home he was aware of, so he'd just appreciate the time away.

-=-

Eryllis packed a travel kit as the walk to Grennesh would take her two or three days. She wasn't concerned for her safety now that she had the staff. First things first, though.

She left her bedroom and went down to the ground floor to find her grandmother in her office. The other workers were in the next room and within earshot, but she knew her grandmother would refuse to shut her office door.

"I'm going to take some time off to work on my anger issues," she said to the old female, who eyed her critically. Eryllis knew this excuse would work since it was something her grandmother couldn't refuse. It was exactly what she wanted Eryllis to do, after all.

"How long will you be gone? You're aware, this is our busiest season," the female growled.

"I can't say. Besides, you have all these collectors you were so pleased with yesterday. They'll obviously continue to impress you," she responded hotly.

"Get out. You're no use to me in this state. Come back when you learn how to keep a civil tongue in your head," Haleth snapped in frustration.

Eryllis spun and marched back upstairs, ignoring the glares from the workers. They didn't matter anymore.

-=-

Lyyrall gestured for the others to follow and quickly rushed to the back door, slipping outside.

Once they were gathered where Haleth couldn't overhear them, Lyyrall began. "The cow is finally leaving but, on her way, she's set us up for failure. That huge windfall she handed to us yesterday! She must have planned the entire thing! You heard her. Now the old woman will expect us to deliver the same results every time!"

Jorina gasped at the scale of Eryllis' plotting! "She faked falling off the cliff! She goaded us into taking the items from her basket and probably planted that enormous Hissing Root! It's diabolical how sneaky she is!" Lyyrall nodded with wide eyes.

"We can't let her get away with this!" Hessia hissed.

Pheo looked doubtful. "You really think she's smart enough to do all that?"

"She's leaving! That's a good thing, right?" Ivalis said, backing Pheo's intent to avoid further difficulties.

Lyyrall scowled. "It would be if she hadn't poisoned Haleth's mind to us. Hessia's right. We can't let her get away unpunished."

Garis chuckled, and the others looked at her oddly. She shook her head. "I know where there's a batch of Stench Horn mushrooms."

Lyyrall, Jorina, and Hessia gasped in delight as they quickly picked up the idea.

Pheo looked nervous. "I'm allergic to Stench Horn."

Lyyrall frowned and saw the hesitation on her and Ivalis' faces. "You two stay here and cover for us in case Haleth comes looking."

"Which direction do you think she'll go?" Jorina asked.

"East," Lyyrall said definitely.

The others looked at her in surprise.

"No self-respecting Wood Elf male would want to mate with a cow. She'll find no lovers here. She has to be hunting for cock amongst the Humans. That means Grennesh," Lyyrall explained.

Hessia covered her mouth to stifle her giggles, and Lyyrall shot her a grateful smile.

Garis was impatient to move. "Come on! She'll be going soon, and we still need to collect the Stench Horn and set up our ambush!

The four rushed away as Pheo and Ivalis sagged in relief. They didn't like Eryllis but were satisfied with not having to face her sharp tongue anymore. She always made them feel so stupid!

Before they stepped inside, they saw Kraphlee, the roadhouse owner, walking toward the shop. He had a grim look on his long face, which didn't bode well. The two females looked at each other and wondered if they should have stayed with their friends. They went inside and heard the final shouts as Haleth cursed at her granddaughter, who slammed the door on her way out.

Damn, Haleth was in a bad mood.

Pheo took a deep breath and moved forward to address the old female.

"We have a visitor coming," she said, and Haleth whipped her head around to glare at her.

"Who?"

"Kraphlee, the owner of the roadhouse. He's almost here," Pheo responded.

Haleth pulled herself together and nodded. She walked to the front door and opened it just as the lanky Wood Elf reached it.

"Good morning, Kraphlee."

"I wish I could say it was, Haleth, but I come bearing a request for a favor from the Wizard Lerrisen. The four Human soldier guides for the Human wizard were found in a retched state this morning on my front lawn. Close to death, they were. Lerrisen claimed it was a curse and cured them of that, but they're a mess. He's told me to ask you for four of your workers to tend to the sick for a week until they're healed enough to leave."

"Four! That won't leave me enough to complete my orders! My ungrateful granddaughter left me this morning as well!" Haleth shrieked in dismay.

The tall male shrugged. "I'm sorry, Haleth, but it's just my wife and me running the roadhouse, and she's not so well these days. I can't ask her to take on this work as well as her cooking and cleaning."

Haleth fretted as her reputation would be damaged from the orders she failed to complete. She'd have to do the collecting herself with the remaining workers she had. She bit her tongue to keep herself from cursing her granddaughter again. Nothing but trouble from that one. So willful, unlike her docile mother.

She turned and saw Pheo and Ivalis, who were staring at her nervously. She frowned at their fear. "Where are the others?"

"Collecting," Pheo blurted.

"Dammit!" Haleth snapped, then nodded. "You two go with Kraphlee now, and I'll send two others when they get back."

The roadhouse owner nodded and turned to walk home without a glance back. Pheo and Ivalis glanced once more at Haleth, then scurried after the male.

Their day wasn't looking up after all.

-=-

The Stench Horn mushrooms were exactly where Garis said they'd be. But of course they were, as no person or creature would willingly disturb the foul-smelling gourd-shaped plants which contained a sticky sap, the source of that odor.

Each of the four ladies carried one of them very carefully. They found cover, two to a side of the path leading into the forest, and waited for their target.

They didn't have to wait for very long before Eryllis walked into view.

Lyyrall frowned as she didn't recall ever seeing Eryllis carrying a walking stick before. No matter. She looked across the road at Jorina, who grinned and nodded. She was ready. Lyyrall hoped Hessia and Garis were prepared as well.

The moment Eryllis stepped between the four trees the ladies hid behind, they stepped out and threw their weapons. Two of them hit their mark, splashing the foul-smelling goo over the woman. One struck the road by her feet, and one struck the ground a mere arms-length from Hessia's position. The idiot couldn't throw.

Still, their victim was well covered with the sticky sap. She looked up from her destroyed dress and glared murderously at Lyyrall, who forced steel into her spine to not back down from the rage she saw in those eyes. She and the other three took one step closer but avoided the sticky splashes on the roadway.

"We're tired of having to deal with your foul attitude and ugly temper. You are no longer welcome here in the Mistveil Woods. Leave and never return!" she said boldly with a forced smile. The others threw in their own comments about her leaving and never returning.

1...34567...12