The Wood Knot Warrior

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maybe she'd finally get the message this time.

-=-

Eryllis was quickly losing control over her rage. She felt the white-hot waves scouring her rational mind, and all she could see was how much these creatures needed to die.

That thought gave her a moment's pause. To kill them was a step further than she was willing to go. That said, they needed to be punished.

She got her voice to work, and it shook the ground slightly with the power contained within it.

"I may have an ugly temper, but you are ugly right down to your cores."

She raised the staff and slammed it down against the road. A wave of magic force exploded outwards and tossed the four back against the trees. Bones broke, skin tore, and screams echoed through the woods as they lay crumpled against the base of the trees.

"You will never speak to me again, and you will never say my name!" she snapped, looking into the eyes of the four injured females. They screamed in pain and terror as she seemed to peer into their minds.

It was too much, and they fainted

-=-

Eryllis took deep breaths to calm the inferno within her. She'd lost control before, but now it felt worse. Much, much worse. She gazed at the crumpled forms and nodded stiffly as she was sure they understood her orders. None were fatally injured, that she could tell.

She looked at herself and realized her dress was ruined. She needed to find a spot to clean up.

Walking away from the scene of carnage, she missed seeing Hessia wake and begin to crawl back towards the village.

Eryllis walked for half an hour before finding a stream crossing under the roadway at a small bridge. She turned downstream and followed the waterway until she could no longer see the road. She leaned the staff against a tree and was grateful to see it had escaped being splashed with the sticky sap.

She removed her pack, seeing only a few tiny droplets of the sticky stuff on it, and set it next to the staff.

Before she proceeded, she looked in all directions and listened carefully to ensure she was alone. Seeing and hearing nothing but the forest itself, she carefully removed her dress. The fabric was ruined, but there were a few spots where the sap missed, so she tore those free to use as rags. Stripping off her undergarments, she waded into the frigid water. Scrubbing herself with sand, she got the sap off but not before scraping her skin raw.

Cursing the bitches for their cruelty, she dried herself with the rags as best she could and pulled her underwear back on. Pulling another dress from her pack, she slipped that on and hissed at how the fabric stung against the spots she'd scrubbed raw.

The pack went onto her back, and she lifted the staff in her hand once more as she walked back along the stream to the road. She checked to see if anyone else was hiding to attack her, then an idea came to her. She pointed the staff at the road leading to the village and muttered something even she couldn't hear, and a mist began forming over the road. She turned and quick-walked over the small bridge, then slowed to a normal walking pace when she got to the other side.

There was still plenty of sunlight left in the day, so she wanted to make a good start on her trip to Grennesh.

-=-

Dell was humming quietly to himself as he loaded the next batch of pies into the oven. The previous set joined the first on the cooling trays on the countertop, and the kitchen was filled with the mouth-watering scent of the baked, flaky crust and delicious filling.

He'd gotten up early to make the pies as they had to be ready for the lunch hour. His father sent runners up to Grennesh to spread the word that today was the day.

Dell had a process, and the kitchen crew knew when to give him space and when to ensure the ingredients were brought up from the cellar for the next series of pies. It didn't take long before they had the pies ready for their first customers and more baking for the second wave.

By ten AM, there was a line of people waiting outside the restaurant.

Kharza came inside from the porch to find Karter.

"You have a large line of people outside who look like they're starving," she said in concern. He followed her out, then smiled at her before explaining.

"The runners we sent out this morning went to the wealthy merchants first. They hire street rats to act as placeholders. You can see each of them is carrying a small plaque with a house sigil imprint. When the lunch hour approaches, the Merchants will arrive and take the spots their placeholders got for them." He gestured to the rough-looking group. "What you're seeing are the poorest members of Grennesh society. They'll get a few coins for spending hours standing out here in whatever the weather happens to be. They'd never be able to afford a pie of their own, and if you gave them one, the others would tear them to pieces to get it." He wasn't smiling any longer as he turned and walked back inside.

Kharza realized Grennesh had its own form of savagery. She did a rough count and realized that close to fifty of these street rats were peacefully standing in the line.

At twenty minutes to the hour, the ladies from the kitchen rushed outside with trays laden with pie slices wrapped in broad leaves to contain the filling. The women quickly walked up the line dispensing these to the placeholders, who wasted no time in consuming the delicious, if small, meal.

As they finished, they licked the waxy leaf's surface to get every drop of the gravy.

Kharza watched the joy on their faces and how grateful they all seemed. From the largest to the smallest, each of them received their slice, and she noticed each portion was exactly the same size! Kharza was surprised to see the larger brutes weren't bullying their smaller counterparts for their pieces. That seemed to defy the nature of the people in the line and contradicted what Karter suggested earlier.

She was confused.

Then she saw Dell was standing next to her, watching the line. He wasn't smiling or frowning. He just watched. The street rats began to notice he was there, and soon they were all looking up at him, but Kharza couldn't grasp what their expressions meant.

Then it dawned on her. It was respect.

When the last of them had received their slice, Dell looked up the road and called out for the ladies to hurry back. With a glance at Kharza, he followed them inside.

She scanned the street rats in line and saw they were all wiping their faces and eating any loose crumbs from their clothes they might have missed. Then, each one gave the next in line a quick visual inspection to ensure they hadn't missed any evidence they'd just eaten.

Moments later, the first of the merchants began to arrive. They quickly found their sigil and stepped in line as the placeholder handed them their plaque, accepted some coins, and rushed away, back to Grennesh.

It didn't take long before the line was completely replaced by the far wealthier citizens from the city up the hill.

Kharza snorted with disgust as she saw these businessmen and women jostling for position and being surly about it. The street rats had been far more civil.

Disgusted by what she saw, she made her way inside to find Dell in the kitchen. He was busy loading the next batch of pies into the ovens. These would be the last ones made for the lunch hour.

"The slices of pie you gave to those waiting, were they discards? Like broken or burnt pies?" she asked.

Dell looked to the enchanted one-way window into the dining room Karter had installed in the kitchen, but the guests weren't being seated yet. Then he locked eyes with the Orc. "Never mention they are given pie within the hearing of anyone. No one is to know."

Kharza's eyes widened as the ladies from the kitchen rushed out to bring their customers inside.

"I don't break or burn my creations. They get slices from the same quality pies the wealthy bastards entering the dining room will get."

They heard some raised voices and sharp words, so Dell stepped into the doorway leading into the dining room and cast a curious gaze over the people fighting over a table. The chubby merchants froze when they saw him, and he nodded to another table. The closest merchant nodded in return and took a seat as Dell moved back into the kitchen, rubbing his temple with a grimace.

Kharza watched Dell inspect the pies that would be sent out and nod to himself. His smile had returned.

The ladies rushed inside and began collecting the plates and garnishing them before hustling back out to deliver them.

"Watch their expressions," Dell said to Kharza over his shoulder as he worked.

She glanced through the window and saw the two chubby merchants trying to pretend they weren't savoring each bite.

"Why are they pretending not to enjoy it?" she asked in confusion.

Dell shook his head. "Because they're idiots. Image is more important to them than honesty."

"You bad-mouthing our best customers?" Karter said with a grin as he stepped into the kitchen.

"Perish the thought," Dell said dryly as he continued to work.

Kharza saw the affection between the two men as they weren't hiding it. She settled herself in the room's corner and waited until the last of the customers had been served. Then she walked over to hand Dell a glass of cool water. He drank it all, then nodded his thanks.

She asked the question that had been on her mind since before the lunch rush. "You could make more money selling those pies you cut up for the street rats, but you don't. Why?"

Dell looked at her for a moment, then nodded and walked to the back door with her following. Once they were outside in the cooler air, he stretched and ran his fingers through his hair.

"I spent most of my childhood running the streets with some of the people you saw in that line. No one else would make friends with a Halfling. It wasn't all laughter and fun. I learned some hard lessons under the fists and heels of some real monsters, but there was an honesty you can't easily find in the higher elements of society. Once I found my place there, a lonely young male found friendship and acceptance. I repay that kindness forward."

He took some deep breaths as his brow furrowed. He rubbed his temples as he struggled with something. "It helps keep the anger at bay, as well."

Leaning back against the building, he sighed. "Tonight, the city leaders and the wealthiest citizens will come for their turn." He shook his head. "They're worse than the merchants. I wouldn't trust any of them at my back. Tomorrow we'll start seeing the regular townsfolk coming down. We'll have two days of them, then we'll be done."

"The merchants and the rich don't show up during those days?" Kharza asked.

Dell shook his head, then paused. "Well, not to the same degree. Some won't deny themselves any pleasure, but they don't get preferential seating on those days. They sit with the common people who aren't afraid to show their joy."

They went back inside as Dell had more pies to prepare. Kharza walked back to the front porch and took a seat to watch the last of the merchants waddle outside. Two stopped to stare at her as if considering her sellable value. She raised an eyebrow at them, and they quickly left.

The arrival of the town officials began hours later and was a procession of carriages. They didn't use placeholders but arrived in a predetermined order they'd worked out amongst themselves.

Karter greeted each one at the Inn's door, and they were guided to their seats. Once they'd been brought their drinks, their meals were served.

Kharza watched the faces of these wealthy and important citizens. They were less resistant to displaying their enjoyment, but she was surprised when a table finished and left without paying.

"The wealthiest citizens don't pay for their meal?" she asked Karter as he stepped into the kitchen.

He glanced at her in annoyance. "We have an agreement."

She turned away with a frown and went back to watching the faces of these freeloading guests. She noted that while they looked genuinely happy, it wasn't the same. She looked at Dell. "Their expressions aren't half as joyful as the ones I saw on the street rats, and they only received a small slice each."

Dell nodded and smiled. "Watch the faces of the guests tomorrow when the regular people of Grennesh come by." He turned back to making pies.

When the dinner rush was over, it was the kitchen staff's time for dinner. Each of the ladies was given two pies. One to eat and one to bring home for their families. Some chose to only enjoy a slice and brought the rest home. They had larger families.

Kharza had been smelling them all day and her mouth watered as she faced the one presented to her.

After her first bite, she stopped and slowly savored the delicious flavors. She smiled at Dell gratefully. "You are a master chef! How hasn't one of these wealthy families hired you away?"

Karter laughed as he heard this comment on his way into the kitchen. "Believe me, they try. Every time we host one of his meals, they try. It gives me great joy to see their disappointment when he tells them no."

Kharza grinned. "This is your payment for their agreement?"

Karter paused, then nodded with a small smile.

She took another bite. "This is the best thing I've ever eaten, next to the roasted bird Dell made for me the night we met."

One of the ladies sighed. "Oh yes, his wild cock is divine!" The others burst into giggles at her slip of the tongue as her expression flashed to embarrassment.

Dell smiled at her as he finished up his own dinner. He was the first to be done and immediately began cleaning the kitchen. The others quickly finished up and assisted him.

Kharza watched how happy everyone seemed, and it drew her mind back to her village after a feast. Everyone was content with food in their bellies and relaxed. The children were drowsy, and soon they would all be sleeping peacefully.

On such a night, her tribe was attacked and wiped out, leaving her alone to carry out her vengeance.

She wiped away a tear and finished her wonderful meal in silence.

Later, she might get the privilege of throwing some drunken fool from the porch onto his belly.

That thought returned the smile to her face.

-=-

It was late in the day when Hessia crawled to the edge of town and was spotted by Pheo, who was taking a moment to catch her breath outside the roadhouse.

She screamed and ran over to investigate but stopped short when she saw the pockmarks and oozing pustules on her friend's skin. She turned and ran to get the doctor instead as he was still within the main building.

When a group led by Nerell returned to Hessia, he took one look and sent a runner to collect the wizards. He kept everyone back but tried to speak with the female.

"Hessia, where are the others?" he asked as Pheo told him there was a group out gathering.

Her voice was weak and cracked, but she could whisper. "Back. On the road. Injured like me."

"Who did this?" he asked.

She screamed until she passed out.

The doctor moved back and waited for the wizards. This was no normal disease to strike so quickly, and that scream spoke of darker magic at work. Besides, she smelled like Stench Horn.

Once more, Lerrisen and Morgan arrived, shocked at what they found.

Morgan took one look and paled. "I haven't seen a pox like this for decades!"

"Yes," Lerrisen agreed. "Once more, it's an ancient disease and driven by dark magic. I can cancel the curse, but the pox will need to be treated with conventional medicine. Can you set up a containment spell around her once I break the curse?" he asked, and Morgan nodded, preparing the spell.

Lerrisen closed his eyes, pulled up the old memory of the spell he needed, and cast it over the female. He was surprised by how the curse resisted him before his will broke it. The previous curse had been far easier to collapse. That spoke of a strength increase in the caster, or perhaps they weren't prepared on the first one. It was concerning how much strength was in the second, nonetheless.

Morgan's containment spell surrounded the injured female so the pox would not spread. Lerrisen looked to Nerell. "She is safe to touch now. You may treat her injuries and begin a course of treatment for the pox. It will take considerable effort to cure the disease, but she can be saved."

Nerell looked to Lerrisen. "She spoke of three more up the road, also injured and likely suffering from the same disease."

The Wood Elf wizard shared a look with his Human counterpart, then knelt next to the unconscious female. He willed her to consciousness, and she blinked at him in confusion. "You are safe now. We will treat your injuries. Who did this to you?"

Hessia screamed in terror and pain, making him lean away. "Rest," he said and willed her back to sleep. He looked at Morgan once more.

"That's a powerful compulsion. More dark magic," the Human said, and Lerrisen nodded.

"It's too deep for me to remove without damaging her mind." He looked to the people gathering and saw Kraphlee standing with a group of males who'd arrived from the village with his runner. The wizard spoke to them. "We must find the others quickly before the pox spreads."

They set off as the doctor moved to examine Hessia's injuries.

As they walked, the two wizards spoke softly to each other to not frighten the others.

Morgan was frowning with concern. "That's two examples of dark sorcery and ancient spells at that. We need to find the culprit behind these attacks immediately!"

"From the strength behind the second curse, we may be facing another master-level mage," Lerrisen replied.

As they approached a slight bend in the road, the Wood Elf wizard suddenly threw his arms wide, forming a dome around the group. Outside the dome was a grey mist. A fog suddenly surrounded them, and the forest was gone.

"This is Druid magic?" Morgan said in confusion.

Lerrisen nodded with a stiff expression as his lips moved silently. The mist slowly split and moved away to either side of the road and dissipated into the forest.

"You know Druid magic?" Morgan asked him quietly.

"A little. Just enough to protect myself from the creatures of the woods. Maintaining such a broad dome was pushing my limits," he admitted.

They moved forward cautiously and found the three females on the ground amongst splashed patches of Stench Horn sap. All three were unconscious but alive. Their injuries were worse than Hessia's, and they all showed signs of the pox. Lerrisen broke the curse, and Morgan enclosed each with a containment spell.

One of the males was staring at the ladies with a sad expression.

"What is it?" Morgan asked him.

"They all worked at Haleth's potion shop, and they used to be so pretty. I've seen what the pox does as my grandmother had it. It ravished her skin and left her with scars. These ladies seem to have it worse than she did."

The wizards shared a look and helped create some rudimentary stretchers to carry the three females back to the roadhouse.

When they were on their way back, Lerrisen leaned a little closer to Morgan. "We need to go speak with the potions shop owner for answers." Morgan nodded.

-=-

Haleth was fretting over the incomplete orders and silently cursing her willful and disobedient granddaughter. The problem was, and she would never tell her this as she needed to remain in the dark about the cause, Eryllis was her best collector. She had an innate ability to find the freshest and most potent ingredients. Haleth had come to depend on her as much as that galled her.

The old female would have been quite content to continue using her granddaughter for her useful skills if she hadn't chosen to leave. She knew this skill was tied to her natural-born proficiency with magic, but she'd promised Lerrisen she'd keep magic out of her hands. That suited her just fine as she needed someone to perform the mundane tasks in her shop, and she was the best collector.

1...45678...12