Their Way - Andrea and Jay Ch. 02

Story Info
One family's sorrow is another's cause for celebration.
7.3k words
14.5k
26
5
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/17/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kalimaxos
Kalimaxos
1,967 Followers

This story and the chapters to follow are fiction. None of the characters exist and their names are all fictitious as well. Any names that match individuals in real life are purely a coincidence. But then...one never knows.

Warning to the reader. My writing style often jumps from different locations, characters as well as times. Tough times in life test us and shape us. Andrea and Jay are members of a military family during wartime. The war events change them back in the home front in a way they had not expected. And what happens to them changes the lives of others in their lives. I would like to think for the best.

So...sit back and enjoy the adventures of Andrea and Jay. (And some other people in their lives.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 18th, 2004 Savanah Georgia USA.

Andrea Mayers shut down her computer at the bank and cleaned her desk for the night. Locking some secure loan papers in her desk drawer, she stood to leave. Catching her reflection in the glass as she left the bank, she liked what she saw. At thirty-eight years of age she had the figure of a slim figure even after having given birth years ago. The Cherokee part of her heritage gave her high cheek bones, the Cuban part her dark hair and a complexion that women wished they had all year round. The origin of her green eyes was a mystery, but she was sure they were from someone in her mom's family as June Cruz had them and so did her brother Theo. At five four, she was evenly proportioned with legs that were stunning in dresses or skirts. Especially with heels. Her breasts were a firm thirty-six C. She was surprised at that more than anything. Other women her age drooped a bit. But she had not nursed when she was young and that probably helped.

She smiled inwardly that time had been kind to her. Oh, she kept on top of her diet and ran occasionally, but she knew deep down that her looks were the product of genetics more than anything she did. Unlike other women she could eat a burger and not get fat that night. She thanked God for that and for everything else good in her life. Her life was not perfect. Nor was her marriage. Her Army officer husband was deployed overseas, which was for the best as she was thinking of divorce. But she decided not to think about that tonight and spoil a good evening with her son who actually had some time for her with his school social calendar and classes.

Her son Jayson, Jay as everyone called him, was grade obsessed. She never had to chase him to study unlike his sister. He usually studied allot, but occasionally made time for them to spend some time together. The last two years her sixteen-year-old son had grown to six feet and was now filling out from the track and field and weight training. There was still some young boy in him, but she had a feeling that her son was born mature. Even his teachers said he was that way in elementary school. Now in high school he was running track and doing strength training when he wasn't studying. Or...dating. He had started that last summer and seemed semi successful. One girlfriend had lasted a few months, but he found dating different girls more to his liking.

They had always enjoyed each other's company, but something had happened since last summer. The change had begun late last August. He had become withdrawn and guarded when they spoke. At first, she attributed to him getting older, but then the trouble between her and her husband came along. Andrea had not made an issue of it before her husband deployed to Afghanistan. She chose to let him go and deal with it after he came home. Had Jay figured out their marital problems? Whatever the reason, there had been Jay before and Jay after. And she hoped they would get past it somehow.

At first, she had wanted to talk to him about it. But she changed her mind. Tonight, she was going to have dinner with her, and she wanted to go out. A date with her young son was a happy occasion and she was not going to spoil it with thoughts of her husband, oldest daughter or anything else.

She made it home to find him upstairs getting ready in the bathroom. Jay actually had shaved and put on a pair of clean jeans and a button-down shirt.

"I'll be ready in ten minutes," she said and ran to the bedroom to change.

"Yeah hurry up," he replied as he finished shaving. "The pizza place fills up at dinner time."

Andrea had her jeans and a white blouse ready to put on, but last minutes changed her mind and grabbed her jean miniskirt and matching short jacket. She ditched the blouse and put on a red sweater. Stepping in to her brown four-inch heels she completed her look and smiled at herself. She had touched up her make up before leaving the bank, but she decided to touch it up a bit when she heard a knock on her door.

"You ready mom?"

"Come in Jay," she said as she looked in the mirror on last time turning this way and that to check herself. "Do I look OK?"

She saw a look on her son's face then she had not noticed before. Jay didn't see Andrea the mom just then. He saw Andrea the woman. For a second it unnerved her. Thoughts of her past flashed by her and made her wonder if she had dressed too provocatively for a diner date with her young son. But then she felt flattered and didn't want to spoil their evening. Jay cleared his throat and looked away before looking back again.

"You look...great mom," He replied a bit uncomfortable.

"You don't think it's too much?"

"It's great...you look beautiful mom," Jay replied smiling at her. "Other guys and girls wish their mom looked like you."

She gave him a sly smile and leaned in to give him a peck on the cheek.

"You're sweet," she said and pulled him out of her bedroom by the hand. "I'm hungry."

Jay too had things on his mind about their family, but he didn't know how to approach her with it. He too had missed the good rap ore they had in the past and didn't want to rock the boat between them.

They had a great time, but again she felt he was holding back. Jay changed the conversation, so they didn't have to talk about his dad or sister. Andrea kept the conversation light, but as he talked, she wondered to herself. Did he know?

Regardless, she enjoyed her time with her son. They talked about his school a bit, her job a little and about people they both knew. They avoided divorces, deaths and other unpleasantness. They both needed an evening of relaxation. She ate a salad and a slice of pizza. He had most of the pizza but two slices. Typical sixteen-year-old. She paid, he asked for a takeout box and they went home.

The rest of their evening was uneventful. She watched TV and talked to her friend Heather on the phone while he went upstairs to do some studying and game on his computer. She said goodnight to him from outside his closed door and he said good night back. Typical of their nights these days.

Andrea sighed and went to her bedroom to change for the night. She lay on her bed and tried reading before she went to sleep, but she was distracted. Something about tonight had unnerved her; and she knew what it was. She was horny and her son had looked her up and down as a man would. Her mind drifted between her son's body inspection and her introduction to sex when she turned eighteen. The two were related she knew, but she had decided to live differently now and not think of her past. Not too much anyway.

Still her body was aroused, and she needed relief. So, as she lay on her bed alone, she let her fingers fondle her nipples and abdomen as her mind replayed erotic moments of her earlier life and realized that she missed it all. The thoughts and her arousal combined as she rubbed her clit harder and harder. Her fingers tweaked her nipple until she gasped from the approaching storm of pleasure. Eventually, it arrived, and she gasped until she came.

She fell asleep only to wake in the middle of the night thirsty and unsettled. She had a hard time going back to sleep. Before long she was masturbating again, thinking of her family. Her brother especially. Yes, it was kinky and out of the norm for her to do that, but it was only thoughts she rationalized. What could it hurt?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 19th, 2004 Afghanistan-Iran border.

It was six hours since the incident and not all the information had been collected from the site yet. Intelligence specialists were combing the area for evidence as the forensic team had to wait for them to finish before they could do their gruesome work. A short Army colonel was in charge and she was cranky.

"I want to see that video," she told the CIA guy emphatically. He was trying to get it uploaded from the digital camera to his laptop and the satellite link back to Langley Virginia as she berated him. The video had filmed the assault from the top of the ridge and would give everyone a view of what had taken place.

"Give me a minute Colonel," the CIA officer replied.

"I need to know what I am dealing with here," she replied. "Those people in Washington are in bed. They won't see it until..."

"No one is in bed Colonel." He said continuing his work as he spoke. "They are awake and waiting for this. I'll have it set up for you to see in a couple of minutes."

"This is a shitstorm Mr. Bundy," she replied. Those are dead Iranian Islamic Republican Guards over there. She pointed to bodies just outside the tent. Either this gets sorted out soon or we are in a bigger war than we expected."

"I don't think it's in anyone's interest for that Colonel." He replied as he watched the progress bar on his laptop. "The Al Qaeda assets trying to make it to Iran are all dead. This is all about the cleanup."

He could tell from the look she gave him that she didn't like his "cleanup" comment. But it was about just that. No one here would ever know what happened. Everyone would be read the same instructions about the National Secrets Act and how they would go to prison if they talked about it to the press. She snorted after he gave her a genuine understanding nod and waited for the video to finish sending up the satellite.

"Ok," he said. "We can see it now."

Bundy turned to the two officers on the Colonel's staff and waved them away. "The Colonel only. You all don't have clearance that high."

When it was just the two of them in the tent, Bundy hit play. They both watched in fascination, and at times horror as the video played in front of them. When it was over the Colonel sat down on the chair definitely subdued. She was stunned at what she had seen. He had been in combat before, but not this intense.

"That's some Congressional Medal of Honor stuff right there Bundy," she said to him.

"I know ma'am," he replied. "I've been in combat with the Rangers. Trust me, this is above and beyond stuff."

"The poor bastard!" she said staring at the screen as the last of the video played out. "They didn't have to kill him like that."

"Its cultural Colonel. They do that to their enemies as the norm. They are brutal to each other as well. And we are infidels after all."

"Still, no excuse."

"Not excusing it ma'am. Just stating facts."

She nodded in agreement and stood up. They were fighting an enemy with a different code of conduct and no sense of giving quarter.

"Ok then. Now I know what I am dealing with."

"As we speak, they are showing this all the way at the top," he said staring at her. "You know you are about to get a call from "The Boss", right?" Bundy made air quotes with his fingers.

She had him rewind the video and they watched it again. And true to form, her secure satellite phone beeped. She looked at Bundy who smiled gently and hit the on button.

"Yes Mr. President."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 20th, 2004 Savanah Georgia USA.

Jay Mayers finished classes and called his mother's cellphone. His stunning brunet mother answered and titled her hair to the side placing the cell to her ear. She was always happy to hear from him. And he loved staring at her when she wasn't looking. Had she caught him? He wasn't sure.

"Hi Jay," Andrea Mayers replied. "You done with class?"

"Yeah, will you be home for dinner, or do I have to go get something?"

"I'm home already. Do you need a ride?"

"No, I'll be fine mom. See you in about twenty."

"Love you," she said and waited for him to say it back.

"Love you too mom," he said in a hushed tone before he hung up.

She laughed to herself placing the phone down on the counter. Her sixteen-year-old son was with friends and didn't want them to hear him be cuddly with mommy. She walked to the fridge and looked in. She had Chicken defrosted. That would be it for the day she thought as the front doorbell rang. It was too soon for it to be Jay. He had keys anyway. Probably a neighbor she thought. Wiping her hands on the towel and walked to the front door. Still happy, and in her heels and tight work skirt, there was a bounce to her step only a happy woman had. That ended when she opened the door, and her heart nearly stopped.

Outside were two army officers in fool dress uniform, a chaplain and the wife of her husband's commanding officer. Andrea made a slight whimper and straightened herself up to attention. Being an army wife, she knew what this was. The nightmare of every military wife and family. The men all had a stoic serious but compassionate look to them. But Betty Ashton, the General's wife did not. Dressed in a black somber dress, her lips were trembling, and her eyes were damp.

Andrea was falling apart inside realizing that this was it. Her husband was dead. She had known it could happen, but in her mind, she had talked herself in to thinking it would not be him. He wasn't a combat officer anymore. He was in intelligence of all things. They sat in tents or offices, didn't they? He wasn't a young officer likely to be sent to the field. He was a Lieutenant Colonel for Christ's sake. They sat "in the rear with the gear." Didn't they?

"Ma'am," The older officer said nodding just barely.

"Come inside," she said noticing that the neighbors were staring. Most of them were military families from the base nearby and lived with the same fear. Still, they still had their loved ones and she didn't. And for the first time in years, she didn't feel like one of them anymore. She didn't want them to see her if she fell apart. For a brief second as they passed by her to enter her living room, she was glad she had some time to deal with them before Jay got home.

"Mrs. Mayers," the Colonel in charge began, "we regret to inform you that your husband was killed in action during combat with the enemy. From what I have been told, he died heroically trying to save other soldiers under his command that had been trapped under fire..."

Andrea didn't hear much after that. Her mind fought to stay focused. But the pain of it all...the finality was too much to take. Her lips trembled and she let out a gasp before she started crying. The chaplain and Betty tried to console her as the two officers stood at attention never wavering. They had two more of these notifications to make today and it was not going to be any easier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay struck out asking a girl for a date and walked home. It was chilly but walking got him warmed up. Already six-foot-tall, the lanky sixteen-year-old cleared his head and accepted the occasional social defeat. A popular guy in school, he had other girls interested. Instead, he wondered what his mother would make for diner and if his crazy sister was coming home for the weekend. These days she hardly did with her new college social life.

He looked toward his family home as he had the last four years they had lived there. But there was something different that day. There were two unfamiliar vehicles in the driveway in front of his mother's car. One was a civilian model, but the other he recognized as an army sedan. Jay stopped dead in his tracks as the realization hit him as well. Something had happened to his father.

He walked up to the front door and hesitated a minute. He could feel the eyes of neighbors as he wavered. He straightened his posture as his father had taught him to do in times of adversity and found that the trick did work. Standing straight as "the shit was about to hit the fan" did help...but not much. He opened the door realizing that the young part of his life was over.

It had been rough for both of them that day. And even rougher when they had to travel to Leslie's college almost two hours away to tell her that her dad had been killed in action. The army officers drove them there with a police escort. They waited patiently as Andrea and Jay sat with Leslie informing her what they already knew. Leslie's father, the most important man in her life, was never coming home.

The funeral had been closed casket and on base. Robert Mayer's was a high-ranking officer, so his casket return was an event. His funeral and burial as well. The local congressman, the mayor, officers from Washington and others came to pay their respects. Unexpectedly, the president showed up quietly and met Andrea, Jay and Leslie in an office across the Church before the burial. He had said the right things and held Andrea's hands. But nothing could make Robert Mayers come home, nor lift the spirits of this fine family the president thought. As they left the room, he looked at the man on the corner of the room and waved him over.

"Well Jack, now you know whose family you need to say thanks."

"Yes Mr. President. And thank you for letting me attend."

"Let me know if there is anything, I can do for them," the President said. "I sure wish we could give her husband the Congressional Medal of Honor, but you know it's impossible. This war sucks."

"It sure does," said Jack Xenos. One of the president's confidants and supporters.

Andrea did as was expected at the funeral. She behaved as the stoic officer's wife. She had done her crying every night since finding out, so there were few tears on the day her husband was laid to rest. She flinched when they fired the salute and bit her lip. Next to her Leslie was crying silently and out of the corner of her eyes she saw that her son was steady as a statue. She could have sworn, that her son had aged ten years around his eyes. He looked the same otherwise. Or did he?

Jay himself knew he had changed. Losing his father was hard to accept. But his mother and sister needed him. He had to be there for them. Jay the boy was gone. Jay the man had to step up. As simple as that. Throughout the ordeal, it was Jay who was the conduit between the women and military. It was not planned, nor was he asked by his mother and sister. He just stepped into the role. It was his instinct to protect the women he loved and make sure nothing went wrong to upset them anymore than they were. His sister told him she was appreciative as she had her hands full with their mother. Every night Jay was last to go to bed. Every night he would listen to his mom sobbing on the other side of the master bedroom. His sister was quieter, but for some reason slept on the living room sofa instead of her room. Jay who like most teenage boys locked their door at night for some privacy left the door open in case they needed him. The night after the funeral he did the same. And did again after he and his mother drove Leslie back to college. Poor Leslie, she had to return to school and face grieving alone. At least Andrea had Jay for company.

That night he awoke startled from a bad dream. It was vivid for a second, but it faded quickly. Still he knew it had been a nightmare and it left him unsettled. Waking from his slumber, he checked the time and shook his head realizing it was almost four in the morning. After he made a visit to the bathroom, he planned to check on his mother. As he approached the closed bedroom door, he thought he heard her sobbing again. He knocked lightly and heard her say "come in."

Kalimaxos
Kalimaxos
1,967 Followers
12