All Comments on 'There and Back Again Ch. 113-114'

by ElyssaCousland

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
XantuVoloXantuVoloover 7 years ago
Damn I love this story.

I have 23 paper back books I have not read next to my bed. I haven't even picked any up while I've been reading this. This story is soo good I actually went and bought the Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition. Ive been flying through the chapters so fast I keep forgetting to rate them. 5 stars all. Cant wait for the next one.

tattooed_cowgirl15tattooed_cowgirl15over 7 years ago
Wow!

Firstly I love absolutely adore this story! Please keep the series going!!

Secondly: WTF! Fergus is an asshole! Yes I understand he is grieving still from his family and in relief at Aedan alive and kicking but seriously! What an asshat

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Is she 12?

Why is she always a weak minded, snivveling, child? Is she ever going to grow up and get a backbone? Other than her immaturity, and apparent utter lack of the ability to woman up and go 15 minutes without sobbing, it's a great story.

ElyssaCouslandElyssaCouslandover 7 years agoAuthor
You think you'd cope better?

I just have to reply to the last comment:

12? No. Definitely not.

But could you imagine growing up safe in a protected world where you'd never witnessed violence, never had to go without modern amenities, never seen monsters or killed someone, never eaten food that wasn't plastic-wrapped, or had to survive in the wilderness - and then possibly losing your mind, or if not, suddenly found yourself trapped in a place with no survival skills, a buttload of danger and violence, being forced to kill to survive, and then suddenly after a lifetime alone, have people die on you when you'd never even gotten used to having someone you cared for?

People end up with crippling PTSD after far less direct stress, danger, and life-altering events than Sierra's been through. Personally, I think she's probably allowed to cry - the fact that she's still functional is a minor miracle. And I wanted my character to be realistic - I've read way too many fanfics where a sheltered city person suddenly becomes an uncaring killing machine with skills and emotional strength no one's ever seen before. I wanted a real person, and reactions like what would really happen if a normal loner ended up in Thedas. I've been assaulted - I cried. I've lost friends and family - I cried. I've been lost, alone, and scared - I cried. I still think I'd have cried more over the past year than Sierra has if I was trapped in Thedas. And I don't think that makes her weak or immature, unless you subscribe to the outdated 'adults can never be scared, grieve, or uncertain' and all tears should be finished with by the end of grade school. I'm 40, and I can tell you - big girls do cry, sometimes.

Just my take on it, for what it's worth.

FourosesFourosesover 7 years ago
Sad and emotional, but so good!!

EC, great work. Realistic and emotional writing, you have an amazing skill with words and I look forward to reading more chapters in the future. I keep this page open on the tablet and check in every few days to see if anything else has been posted. Planning to read it from the beginning again soon.

I agree with your comments about crying and stress, few of us can imagine the stress and emotions people in war and battle feel, hope I never do!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Your presentation of Fergus isn't sensible

First, the environment...magic and whatever you call templar skills. If Fergus thought Sierra was using enchantment or glamour to deceive many, her power would be too great to oppose directly; Fergus wouldn't declare his antagonism to her "befuddled" companions, he'd have to gather evidence to be able to break her spell. As simple as Fergus is written, he would have to be a very immature man in today's American culture to behave the way you wrote him.

Second, the benefits of social standing (Sierra's motivation to claim blood relation) is a poor reason, given the condition of the realm with the Blight that just ended. With no living Cousland at the estate for ... how long? ... that estate would be in shabby condition. Without mass media to promote celebrity, the only exaltation Sierra could expect would be from her companions, not people on the street asking for autographs.

Just about everything you've written up to this point has been satisfying; people in love do excruciatingly stupid stuff, bigotry just is, and the escapism of Sierra's worker bee unhappiness is the norm in business (for the ethical participants) these days, but Fergus needs a rewrite.

Thanks for making so very many hours of my days entertaining!

JP

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous