All Comments on 'Thomas Hunter'

by Fredoberto

Sort by:
  • 42 Comments
blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 5 years ago
Good stuff, man.

That last line nearly choked me! Well done. Full marks. Thanks, Randi.

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
The immortal Robert Burns

Good little flash story. Carbon monoxide is said to be an easy way to go to sleep and not wake up. It's victims also exhibit cherry red skin. What did our man see in the cemetary? Since he noted the abnormally red complexion, was she already dead? Was the red caped fellow Satan himself, taking the souls of an adulterous wife and her lover? Again, a good story. Kind of a dark night in LW, ain't it?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
You missed a trick

Certainly you missed telling of one of the patrons of the Brewer's Droop, none other than Whisky Dick!

R.

robinhodrobinhodover 5 years ago
Good

Well done. More please.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Nice one.

A well paced and compelling narrative. Like a short from a Dennis Wheatley.

4*

PrevertOnePrevertOneover 5 years ago
Good Tribute :D

Good homage to Robert Burns :D

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
Very Nice!

Just a couple of nits to pick, have to maintain by cred!

Why did he call out her maiden name, Cathy Sark?

How did the police find him so quickly to notify him? Even assuming she and her lover were even found that early, who could have known where he was staying?

Okay, that out of the way, I had my suspicions right away that the "friend" was a male friend.

I liked "Rabbi Burns"!

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 5 years ago
Sorry

Seemed like an abbreviated report rather than a story. A little more depth is needed in my opinion.

Thanks for your hard work but this one isn't for me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
This short story was good but

No way you would get a police response like that in that time frame as he stayed in a non disclosed location . In a rural area. My question to the author is, how is that possible. It would be days and possibly never would they know his wife died .this part just doesn't work. If he called home or called a friend he was going home maybe someone local would know otherwise just impossible.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

it is too bad you didn't have a gifted 2 where we find out what happens to heather and Donnie Robbies father could introduce him to Donnie at a restaurant where Donnie and heather are out for the night he could be introduced as Heathers other man who she was gifted to then let the fun begin

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
@Anonymous Re: "This story is good"

God, I hate the moderated comments!

You probably didn't see my comment where I asked that same thing! At best, after his home office is open, assuming they somehow know where he works, they may be able to get his itinerary, but there's no way they're going to be waking him up!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Loved this.

The police are able to locate you if you use your credit card.

SpottedDog2018SpottedDog2018over 5 years ago
Robert burns or rabbi burns?

Is there a second part? The whole apparition of his wife rutting on a tombstone just to find out she was probably already deceased while bonking some other bloke? Are the threats given to me all those years ago about heavy binge drinking and sober up night breakfast at IHOP finally making my mental faculties fail? I'm confused.

jasjonjasjonover 5 years ago
3 ☆

Flesh it out and resubmit it. Beginnings of a great story.

moblanemoblaneover 5 years ago
Scottish Jews?

I love the rabbi Burns bit, I cracked up although I guess it wasn't the Scottish Burns but the satanic 'burns' Ha Ha !! I love your sense of humor anyway. Thank you

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 5 years ago
A most excellent tale

Very mysterious and other worldly.

luedonluedonover 5 years ago
Superb

A nice chuckle at the end.

Lue

Ps: It pains me to agree with SB, but his comment "God, I hate the moderated comments!" is one point of furious harmony twixt me and he.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
@Anonymous Re: Loved This"

Yes, the police may have been able to find him by his credit card, BUT...

First, they have to find the victim. I suppose the deaths MAY have been discovered during the night.

Second, they need to know her husband's name. Unless it was a mistake, she was using her maiden name, "Sark," so how do they know to search for a Thomas Hunter?

I find it much more likely that he would find them waiting for him at home rather than waking him up at 7:30 AM at a remote guest house!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Stupid story

No end, no clarification no nothing. Poor story. Unworthy crap Fredoberto. Have read much better stories by you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Guess you had to really understand the underlying origins to appreciate this story.

I don't, and I didn't. But thanks for the contribution.

etchiboyetchiboyover 5 years ago
I din’t get it.

It’s too deep for me, I think.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
The Ending

Makes no sense. Who or what was Rabbi Burns supposed to be?

jtaylor

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
@Anonymous Re: "Rabbi Burns"

My personal take was that it was a play on "Robert Burns," the poet, as this story was a play on his poem, "Tam o'Shanter." I don't claim any great knowledge of literature, I was educate on this by blackrandl1958.

GeorgeAndersonGeorgeAndersonover 5 years ago
Well done, sir!

Like others, it's been a while since I read the referred-to poem, but you included enough clues that it rang a bell. One would think those who didn't remember the piece could follow your hints and use their favorite search engine, but I learned a while ago that LW is no place for subtlety.

Thank you for this!

GA.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Love it

Great punch line!

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 5 years ago
Interesting.

I don't know Robert Burns

and his work.

But that didn't stop me

enjoying this story.

We've seen here in Literotica

a lot of stories connected to poetry.

More songs than poems,

but to me all enjoyable.

I applaud the fertile minds among us,

who take the time to connect

different artforms and share it with us.

Hat's off to you all!

Thanks Fredoberto for introducing

Robert Burns to me.

And thanks for your story.

Top ratings from me.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionabout 5 years ago
Well done

Inspirational tale reworked

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Reading again

Looked up the Robert Burns poem and re-read the story. That's some good stuff.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 4 years ago

AND ... We-The-Readers now know why the pursuing ceremony participants did not (could not) catch and do Hubby in. They would have to go through running water! Cute!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Rabbi Burns - two guesses

Rabbi Burns could be:

1- a Jewish cleric reading a torah written on sheepskin; or 2- a mispronounceation of "Robbie Burns."

I'm just sayin'....

ErotFanErotFanover 3 years ago
A Great Halloween Tale

For some reason some readers cannot suspend disbelief over small matters for the sake of the story. What does it matter that that the cops show the next morning!?!? It was _necessary_ for the story that they do. ERGO, they did.

And a nice send off at the bottom of your submissions. I've favorited this story and you as an author.

Awaiting your 2020 submission(s).

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I was not familiar with Robert Burns, nor his Halloween poem before reading this story. After dragging myself through the translation (I don't speak 18th century Scottish), my opinion is that Fredoberto's story is incredibly better than the Halloween poem, and reading the poem adds absolutely nothing to the story. I found the story interesting and well paced. However, I am clueless (possibly just clueless overall) how this story relates to the poem, other than in the most vague way. If you are not into old Scot poetry, just enjoy this story and skip the "Halloween" poem.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Rather excellent

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Always love timely karma..

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very well written and a nice tale too boot.

Sergeant Sculder and Constable Mully.: the truth is out there.

SHR

UpperNorthLeftUpperNorthLeft8 months ago

Lot of tasty little Easter eggs buried in this story. Very enjoyable read. Weel done, Cutty-sark! 5*

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Ah... Robbie Burns!

AnonymousAnonymous18 days ago

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is way too easy of a death. At least she’s going to suffer for all eternity.

/

ZK

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userFredoberto@Fredoberto
Born many years ago in Glasgow, Scotland. Travelled the world, lived and worked in several countries and survived so far.