Three Lives, Five people

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ha! But you don't drink! Nice try Mr Roberts, but no, I'm actually just leaving work, and I'm knackered. Maybe some other time, see you Thursday."

"Can't wait, see you Laura."

Thursday came and Laura worked her lunch hour as usual, and through to five thirty. Pushing her intercom button she heard Polly.

"Poll I'm going out tonight, so I'm closing up, can you fend off any calls til you go? Thanks Hun!"

Laura slipped along to the Ladies and changed, pulling on tights over her bare legs, then slipping into a three quarter length A Line dress. It flared slightly at the waist and ended just on her knees. Long sleeved it had a hint of a scoop at the front, but not enough to reveal any cleavage. She dabbed on a little eye liner and blusher. She pulled a lipstick from her purse and lightly highlighted her lips. The effect was to enhance her lips without making them dominate her face. She smiled into the mirror. The forecast was a dry evening with no or little wind. She threw a gold fringed pashmina around her shoulders, perfect.

As she emerged Polly walked past, her mouth dropped open. Laura couldn't resist,

"Close your mouth Polly, we are not a codfish!"

The line from Mary Poppins was one of her favourites.

"Laura, you look gorgeous, does he know what's in store for him? My God, you look stunning."

"Thanks, I hope he appreciates it too. Although not to the extent of drooling like a St Bernard."

She grinned and waved, walking to the lifts.

At six pm she stood in front of the theatre. A black cab drew up and Dave Roberts emerged and paid the fare. Turning his face cracked into an almighty grin.

"Well you scrub up nicely pet," he leaned in and kissed her cheek.

Turning he crooked his elbow and smiled, Laura laughed and put her arm through his, feeling him adjust to hold her hand snugly in the crook of his arm.

"It's just round the corner, on the side of the theatre, saw it a few months ago and decided I'd try it the next time I came, so this is a good omen for me."

He led her down a side street and the glass fronted Turkish restaurant appeared at the junction. Turning in he gently maneuvered her in front. As the Maitre D' appeared he gave his name and then followed as they were led to a table in the window. With Laura seated he sat down. He wore casual trousers and loafers, an open necked shirt and a soft lambswool jumper slung over his shoulders.

"I didn't have a chance to say how handsome you look, I'm impressed DC Roberts, a plain clothed policeman, who has no plain clothes." She giggled, he smiled.

"Well Miss Johnson, I can see you dressed to impress and you may take it I am. You look stunning, I am suitably humble in your presence."

The waiter appeared and they ordered drinks, she a gin and tonic, he mineral water. Raising their glasses, they touched them with a soft 'chink', then studied the menu. At her insistence he ordered for both of them and they relaxed with their drinks, totally at ease. Talk came easy, they chatted back and forth.

Soon the appetisers appeared, chicken and walnut salad, a variety of dips, flat bread, Lentil Kofta's and Leeks with lemon and currents. Presently the main dishes arrived, Baked Fish with Dill Butter and Raki, set off with roast tomatoes and pine nuts for her, Slow Roasted Lamb with Apples Poached in Pomegranate for him . They skipped dessert and went straight to the strong black Turkish coffee which rounded off the meal successfully for them. Outside the air had cooled but not so as to make it too cold. They wandered back to the theatre, where they took their seats in the Dress Circle exactly in the centre of the row.

"Roberts how did you manage this, at such short notice and on your salary?" she whispered.

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you," he whispered back.

She punched his arm and he grinned, handing her the programme he'd bought on their way in. Soon the lights dimmed and the play began, it was all she hoped for and more. The two superb actors sparking off each other, raising the hairs on the nape of her neck, the inside of the theatre was electric with excitement. At the end she stood with the others clapping and shouting, the air flooded with a huge wave of enthusiasm for the Actors.

As they exited, Dave found a cab and ushered her in. they speed back across the river and wound their way back to her place. He kissed her cheek, saw her to her door then leapt back in the cab as she disappeared inside. she waved and went inside, exhausted but happy. Just tonight work seemed a world away.

On Sunday as she did her washing her entry phone buzzed, she picked it up.

"If that's you Roberts, you're wasting your time, I'm up to my armpits in suds and water."

"Aww, shame this triple decker ice cream is going to melt and be wasted."

"You bugger, alright, come up!" She grinned and pressed the door release.

Two minutes later a muffled bang at the door announced his appearance. She opened the door and looked at the biggest ice cream cornet she had ever seen.

"Bloody hell how did you carry that?" she laughed and accepted the gift, taking a long lick round the bottom of the ice cream where it met the malted cone. She savoured the three flavours.

"How did you know which flavours to pick?"

"I'm a cop we never reveal our sources, sorry ma'am."

"Polly, it has to be. Polly is the only one who would know, I'll kill her tomorrow, you wait and see."

"Oh Good, I get to arrest you and read you your rights."

"Bastard!"

"Only doing my job ma'am."

"Shut up you idiot, come on, come through, you look positively guilty standing on the doorstep. What flavours have you got?"

"Rum and Raisen, Sticky Toffee and Fudge."

"Yuk! mine's better."

"Go on then giss us a taste?"

"No! you've got your own and I don't want to lick yours, so you don't get to lick mine."

She winked and he laughed, they walked to the kitchen and sat at the small counter.

"OK what are you doing here?"

"Well I thought I'd have an ice cream and then I thought wait, what about Laura! So I phoned Polly and she told me your favourite flavours and..."

"wait, wait, you phoned Polly?"

"Yeah!"

"How did you have Polly's number?"

"Confidential ma'am, not at liberty to say." He tapped the side of his nose with one finger.

"Dave Roberts tell me or you'll get more than a lick if I jam this cone in your face."

"That's issuing threats?"

"Three, Two, One," Laura upended the cornet, Dave sat back.

"OK, OK, I pinched it from your contacts, when I took your number."

"You rat, I told you not to look."

"Yeah, but she's such a great person..."

"To pump for information, seriously I'm a bit pissed with you for that!"

"Really? Sorry I..."

"Got you! Payback. By the way this is absolutely scrummy, thanks."

"You're very welcome Miss Johnson."

They finished their ice creams in silence.

Laura stood and pulled a glass from the cupboard.

"Drink?"

"Thanks, apple if you have it?"

"I bought one of everything just so I'd have something for you."

"Now that's what mates are for."

"So I'm now your mate then?"

"No you're special, a good friend, a beautiful perfect friend. No pressure."

"None perceived, I like you Dave, but, well, as you know I have history."

"I want to be your friend Laura, even if I can never be your man."

"You're cute Roberts, you're too nice, and I know so little about you."

"Ahh! I'm twenty nine, a Leo, I have a degree in History, my dad was a bobby for forty years and died two years after he retired. I still live at home with my mum, who really still does all my washing and ironing. I have a few mates, mostly in the force and I am wildly in love with a beautiful woman who scorns my advances and won't let me lick her cornet."

"Idiot! Does your mum really still do your washing?"

"Won't hear of me doing my own, banned from the kitchen, feeds me, makes my sandwiches, you name it she does it."

"How did you survive Uni?"

"I lived on pasta and sausages and went home every other weekend for food and to have my washing done."

"You wimp, I can't believe you still let your mother do your washing, you got it easy, do you pay her any rent?"

"No! why would I?"

"Duh! you lazy sod, your poor mum, I'd like to meet her and get her to throw you out."

"Actually I made it all up Laura, sorry I lied."

"Whaat?"

"I am twenty nine and a Leo. My Dad was a cop and died as I said, but I look after my mum. She's not well, had a stroke last year. We get carers come in four times a day, but otherwise I'm her carer."

"I don't know what to believe now, you're too bloody convincing Roberts. I'd like to meet your mum, tell her what a rat you are, a nice rat, but nevertheless a rat."

"I know, but the last part was the truth. I got my neighbour to look after mum so I could come out, but I have to get back soon. I'll give you a ring during the week, fancy a film this time?"

"Dave Roberts! Good job I know you're an honest bloke, yeah give me a ring and we'll decide on what."

"OK see you," he hugged her and kissed her cheek, then turned and left, leaving her with her thoughts.

She stood biting her lip, trying to decide which part of his story, if any, was true. She gave up and plunged back into her washing and determined to finish it as quickly as she could, giving her the afternoon off. Two hours later, she sat in the lounge, swung her feet round and lay back on the sofa. As she drifted off she thought about Dave Roberts and a smile flickered over her face. She woke about half four the afternoon gone. Sighing she gathered herself up and went to take a long bath.

Work on Monday was a dour drab affair, she was head down all day, her lunch a sandwich at her desk. Polly replaced her coffee cup at regular intervals and soon it was five thirty. With plenty to do Laura ploughed on, eventually looking up at seven forty five and frowning. Bang goes the evening she thought, then tidied everything away, this was the last thing she did each evening, since the office had a clean desk policy. She found her bag, grabbed her coat and fled. At home she had a cup of soup from a packet and a crust of bread, before grabbing a wine glass, a bottle of Pinot Grigio and the tv remote. As she settled in her mobile rang, she grinned as she recognised Dave's number.

"Inspector Roberts, how are you?"

"Fair to middling m'lady, yourself."

"Crap day, just in, feet up, remote control and bottle of plonk."

"Ouch, punishing day then?"

"The pits, still shit happens, what can I do you for?"

"Thursday, still up for a movie night?"

"Course, what do you have in mind?"

"Do you like foreign films?"

"Love them, sub titles the whole bit, why?"

"They're showing 'Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown' at eleven at Flix in town, fancy that?"

"I love Almodovar, yes please. Meal before?"

"Sure, any preferences this week?"

"Surprise me?"

"OK, prepare to be surprised, pick you up at six fifteen?"

"Can you come for me at work?"

"Sure, can I meet the lovely Polly?"

"No, she's way too beautiful and she'll steal you away."

"I doubt it, but let's risk it."

"Tease,"

"Love you, miss you, Ciao!"

Click, the line hummed and buzzed. She clicked off and picked up the remote.

The next few days were a blur, as the work avalanched across her desk. Perversely she began to enjoy it and dived headlong into the pile, blasting off messages, setting up meetings and filing reports. Suddenly it was Thursday and Dave Roberts stood at her desk his arm round an obviously smitten Polly.

"Hi just came to say, we've decided to elope and run away to sea. It's been lovely knowing you and all that, I wish you all the best, meanwhile Poll and I are off to have carnival knowledge of each other."

"You mean carnal!"

"No carnival, it'll be a real circus, boom boom."

"Roberts you don't improve with keeping, I may have to reassess our friendship."

"I wish,"

"You wish, exactly, come on I'm ravenous, where we going?"

"Don't know, any suggestions lovely Poll?"

Polly blushed and wriggled free of Dave,and fled.

"You bugger, she'll have this all over the office by tomorrow," Laura grinned and kissed his cheek. Taking his arm she folded hers in it.

He smiled and bent to kiss her cheek, then walked her through the outer office to the lifts. In the lift she squeezed closer to him.

"Whooa, this is a change, falling for the old Roberts charm offensive at last?"

"Guess again, I'm cold, I should have bought a thicker coat, damn."

"Well you stay close to your uncle Dave and he'll share his warmth with you."

"Too kind young man, unless you have an ulterior motive."

"Would I?"

"You would, do you know how embarrassed Polly was?"

"Yeah, I'll phone her and apologise,"

"You better, now where are we going?"

"I know you like fish, so how about Wheeler's, a few oysters, a small salmon, whatever."

"I hate oysters, like snot in a shell."

"What a charming picture you paint, no oysters then, however, is a fish restaurant okay?"

"Perfect, lead on."

The meal was good, her wine pleasant and the film as captivating as she remembered. Later they took a cab to her home and again he hugged and kissed her before leaving. She tidied up quickly and headed to bed. The Thursday meetings continued for over a year and each time he managed to stun her with his flair for surprises. Their last meeting had included a meal and seats at Sadler's Wells, followed by a Modern Ballet version of Cinderella.

The following Tuesday Dave phoned and apologised but this weeks meeting would have to be cancelled, he had an overnight observation and couldn't get away, could they reschedule for Monday, she agreed. After hanging up she realised how she looked forward to his calling and their nights out. Strange how he had become such a fixture in her life. She felt a lump in her throat, silly girl she chided herself.

The week soon flew by and she found herself outside a modern bar in town waiting for him. Ten minutes later, red faced and flustered he arrived, running up and hugging her, apologising profusely for keeping her waiting. They went in and he waved to four guys at a table in a corner.

"These are my mates, I've been telling them about you and how we're just friends and they wanted to meet you, are you alright with that?"

"Bit late asking me now Roberts, but yes I'm okay. Look you could have told me I'd have dressed up a bit."

"God no, I'd definitely lose you then,"

He grinned and helped her out of her coat. After a swift round of introductions she instantly forgot her misgivings. Two were their age, one older, one younger, but all bright and full of mischief. Dave got lots of ribbing over his friendship with her, they winked and sparkled. She loved them, one and all. They bought her drinks, not seeming to care that Dave had coke or coffee, whilst they downed pints. It was a raucous evening and she learned a good deal about Dave he'd never have volunteered on his own. At nine thirty the older guy Bob 'something' got up to go, kissed Laura's cheek, shook hands with the others and left.

"So what does Bob do?" she asked,

"He's the Guv'nor," they said as one.

"What, he's your boss?"

"No that's Fred Philpott, Commander Fred Philpott actually, he's the boss."

"So what's Bob's rank?"

"Chief Inspector, he runs our team and reports to Fred."

"So Fred's the Boss, but Bob's the Guv'nor?"

"Exactly!" they chorused and dissolved into laughter.

"Your Round,"

"Yeah and you're fat, but I'll get some drinks in."

"Old Joke!"

"Last one for me, early start tomorrow."

"True, yeah better knock it on the head after this,"

They had a last drink then broke up, shaking hands and leaving. Dave walked Laura to a cab and climbed in with her. They drove back in silence,he leaping out at her home to help her out. She smiled and held him.

"Come up for coffee, please, well squash or whatever."

"You sure?"

"Never surer, come in with me please."

"I'll pay off our friend here, just a moment."

After he paid he followed her up to her flat. Inside they headed to the kitchen. She opened the fridge took out a bottle of wine and a coke. Pouring his drink, she sat down with him at the counter. She took his hand,

"Dave I don't want to raise your expectations, but I want to know that over this last few months I have come to really look forward to Thursdays."

"Me too, it's been great fun. Sorry about this week, couldn't be helped."

"I don't mind, especially after tonight, your mates are great, I really enjoyed myself."

"Good, I hope so, it's a big step introducing a new friend to a group of mates."

"Especially a girl friend who isn't a girlfriend?"

"Yeah, a friend of the opposite sex can be complicating matters."

"Dave, would you like me to be your girlfriend, rather than just a girl friend?"

"You know I'd love that, why is that a possibility?"

"I think it is, I really just enjoy being with you, I look forward to Thursdays a lot."

"Hmm, me too, although for other reasons, as you know."

"Dave I won't play with you, I said our relationship would have to be just friends."

"I know and I respect that, you've had a devastating loss, you're not ready to commit to a relationship at the moment. But, I feel honoured that you would have me as a friend. Thank you."

"Dave, I think we are moving to more than just friendship, I think I'm ready to start dating again, but you'll have to bear with me, it's still in there and painful."

"You know if there was any way I could take that pain away I would."

"Yes I do and I.. I love you for it."

"Thank you, Laura, now how about I get off and let you get to bed."

"Don't you want to stay?"

"More than anything in the world, but, I have to go home to make sure mum is okay and I do have an early start tomorrow. I'll ring you, okay."

His lips grazed hers and he held her tightly, they moved apart, kissed gently then he was gone. She sat down and cried, long and hard. She cried for lost love and new love. Finally she dried her tears on the backs of her hands and tidied up before bed. She fell into a deep sleep and was awoken rudely by her alarm at six thirty the following morning.

At work she called Polly in and asked her to shut the door. Switching her phone to divert she sat Polly down and told her everything about herself. Polly sat entranced, shocked, amazed, hands to her mouth at times. Finally Laura confessed how she had fallen headlong for Dave Roberts over the last few months. Polly cried and Laura comforted her. Polly said she absolutely must make it clear to Dave what she felt and to leave nothing out. Laura confessed to Polly how she ached to have him in her bed, Polly blushed and laughed then said she could see he felt the same for her. Laura phoned Dave's mobile and left a message asking him to call her.

At seven that evening Dave arrived at her flat, scrubbed and gleaming. Catching her breath she invited him in. They went to the kitchen, where most of their time was spent.

"Thanks for coming, drink?"

"Thanks, coke if there's any left."

"I bought a pack, just in case."

"Okay, well I don't think I'll get through a six pack tonight,"

"No I bought a thirty six pack party size box ."

"What! why?" he grinned.

"Oh God... because I want enough to last for however long you stay," she blushed.

"Stay, here, overnight?"

"Longer.."

"Longer?"

"Much longer, much, much longer."

"Laura, are yo okay, are you feeling okay?"

"Never better, Dave I... You have been a good and true friend to me ever since what happened, happened. But I don't want your friendship anymore, I want.. I want to be your lover..."

"Oh my God, you mean..."

"Yes, yes everything, the whole nine yards, please, please, hold me, for God's sake hold me,"